Thread: Aloe Vera as food

Kevster

Default Aloe Vera as food

I have recently heard that Aloe Vera is a superfood:

'An analysis of the Aloe Vera plant shows it is made up from a large variety of amino acids, enzymes, vitamins and minerals and it comes closer than any other known plant to the duplication of life’s essential substances in the biochemistry of the human body.'

http://www.positivehealth.com/permit...a/aloinf20.htm

I don't by the way currently have IBS so don't need advice on that matter, but i was wondering about this because aloe vera grows like mad, is it possible to harvest it yourself and just eat it? Or does it come in some sort of juice from the health food shop? (that is more digestable than straight form the plant??)

I was basically wondering if anyone takes this stuff internally,

Cheers,

Kev

There are heaps of aloe vera drinks at my local supermarket people at my work drink it all the time.
    Also there are lots of Aloe vera pills you can get from health food shops.
    I don't know anything about it really, but it seems to be kicking off in a big way here.
    I did try some Aloe vera jelly shots the other month. Tasted alright.
    so I guess the answer is yes you can consume Aloe vera orally but I don't know what the benefits are.

From what I have read aloe barbadensis taken internally assists in the healing of the membrane of the digestive system and is beneficial with slippery elm powder. As to any other benefits I am not sure as to the nutritional content apart from the hallowed alantoin - I think -

The major hazard is if you are consuming the gel flesh, do not juice or consume the skin as it is a purgative and bowel irritant. I have used commercial aloe drinks but the bitter ones have leaf in them. It should taste sweet. It is remarkable for skin conditions including minor burns and cuts and in general makes your skin feel great.

With all web links, take with a pinch of salt unless you implicitly trust the source or it is peer reviewed material. Always good to have a healthy scepticism.

A brief rundown...
    http://www.holistic-online.com/Herbal-Med/_Herbs/h2.htm
    Active constituents...
    http://www.vitaminevi.com/Herb/Aloe.htm
    A note of caution in the following article...
    http://www.blankees.com/house/plants/aloe_b.htm

Kevster

I first heard it mentioned in a book by Kate Wood, 'Eat Smart, Eat Raw'. So was following up, sounds like it might be bigger in other countries than the U.K...

Quote Kevster
    I have recently heard that Aloe Vera is a superfood:

'An analysis of the Aloe Vera plant shows it is made up from a large variety of amino acids, enzymes, vitamins and minerals and it comes closer than any other known plant to the duplication of lifeŐs essential substances in the biochemistry of the human body.'
    There's some more info here.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

PinkFluffyCloud

I grow it in the house and use it for any skin complaints that the family have, but haven't tried it internally. I am very interested, though, thanks for the info, will look into this.

If you are going to eat it, be careful to remove the skin as it has a nasty taste and is an irritant to the bowel. The Asian food stores sell it as part of a desert - but I am yet to try it.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

PinkFluffyCloud

Even the gel tastes horrid, I have tried it by mistake when using it on my skin (don't ask!!!!!!! ).

lol - it can be nasty - but there are varieties of the plant that have less taste than others. I have used one that even smells bad - but the one I grow now is not too rough at all. I have used it for burnt lips and would not if the taste was shocking.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"