Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nutritional yeast

Question Nutritional yeast

first of all, why is it called nutritional yeast? and second, what exactly is it?

the following was taken from http://www.bulkfoods.com/yeast.htm :

Red StarŪ nutritional yeast is an excellent source of protein, dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals. Lesaffre Yeast Corporation derives its primary grown nutritional yeast from pure strains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae grown on mixtures of cane and beet molasses. After the fermentation process is completed the yeast is harvested, thoroughly washed, pasteruized, and dried on roller drum dryers. The special growth medium and unique drying process are the secrets to the exceptional performance and flavor of Red StarŪ nutritional yeast.

Red StarŪ nutritional yeast is grown specifically for its nutritive value. In addition to protein, dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals, it contains additional functional and beneficial components such as beta-1,3 glucan, trehalose, mannan and glutathione. Studies have show that these components have potential health benefits such as, improved immune response, reduction of cholesterol, and anti-cancer properties. Red StarŪ nutritional yeast is not made from by-products of breweries, distilleries or paper mills. Red StarŪ nutritional yeast is not a genetically modified organism (GMO). Red StarŪ nutritional yeast contains no added sugars or preservatives. Best when stored in a cool, dry place.

aside from what that website says, nutritional yeast also gives a good "cheesy" flavor to alot of foods. alot of times i'll use it on pasta or something a sprinkle a little on pizza. you can also find vegan "cheese" sauce recipes that use nutritional yeast as a primary ingredient.

p.s. you can usually find it in any health food store, alot of times in the bulk food section.

thanx

yes i love using it for cheese. i just never knew what it was exactly

I buy this one.

It's ace on fresh popcorn!

Quote Cloudy
    I buy this one.

It's ace on fresh popcorn!

but what does it taste of or how does it affect the flavour of things? its interesting that your one says you can use it in milk, fruit, casseroles and breakfast cereals!!!!!

Quote cedarblue
    but what does it taste of or how does it affect the flavour of things? its interesting that your one says you can use it in milk, fruit, casseroles and breakfast cereals!!!!!
    You remember Cheesy Wotsits? It tastes a bit like them, that's the closest thing I can think of. It comes as little flakes like fish food, it's very versatile.

Wot! Sir? Sit!

The taste is sorta nutty and kinda reminds me of a cheddar cheese type flavour.

I use it on just about everything from salads to pasta.

Aaagh! My eyes! Can't you scale that avatar down a bit?

Default torula yeast

as far as i'm told nutritional yeast is also known as torula yeast , much more delicate flavour than brewers yeast

Default what do you do with nutritional yeast???

I bought some red star yeast flakes and so far have sprinkled them on soup, pizza and in miso soup. What are some other uses?
    Can these be baked, boiled?
    thanks
    Last edited by Korn; Jan 3rd, 2005 at 12:56 AM. Reason: This was the first post in another thread about nutritional yeast

ConsciousCuisine

OH! I use it for any sauce or anything at all where a salty/savory flavor is needed! I make "Pate's" , Nut and Seed Cheeses, Muffins, Shepheard's Pie, Pasta Sauces, Steamed Veggies, Salad Dressings, Stir Fries..oh, everything that needs a "salty" taste! (Same thing for miso, actually) Just add after cooking and never heat to a boil!

I always sprinkle it over pasta. Since I eat pasta often, it ensures I get it pretty often. Sprinkle it over anyhting you things would taste nice with a cheesy taste. If you cut up potatoes, boil 'em, and cover with vegan butter, parsley, garlic, and nutritional yeast, it's really good. If you have it, you can also put melted vegan cheese mixed with soy milk as a vegan cheese sauce to pour over the potatoes. Not an everyday healthy meal though.

It's good on popcorn!

I use it on anything I want a cheesy sort of flavour to.

Some people make a cheese sauce out of it, too only the recipes I've seen don't call for vegan cheese to be added in the mix.

A recent discovery of mine is to take toast, drizzle it with olive oil, put a bit of nutitional yeast on it and some lemon pepper. I can't remember where I got that from, but it's a very good combination. Better than toast with vegan butter.

tails4wagging

Buy The Uncheese Cookbook, has lots of uses for yeast flakes.

Ditto on the 'Uncheese cookbook'. Actually, I just got the 10th anniversary edition called 'The Ultimate Uncheese cookbook'. It is WONDERFUL! We're going to have grilled 'cheeze' sandwiches today for lunch, and supper tomorrow is baked macaroni and 'cheeze'.

Yum!

tails4wagging

Must get that one then?. I do miss cheese, I have to say and that vegan scheese you can get is not the same!

I haven't tried any of the vegan cheeses that you can buy at the store, since I'm also tring to avoid consuming massively processed foods. I've made 'Gooda' and 'Chedda' and a nice melty pizza/nacho cheese sauce all from the 'Ultimate Uncheese book' that I borrowed from a friend. I just got the new version and there's so much more in it. Cheezecake, dips and sauces, all from typical foodstuffs I already have around the house as a vegan!

So I guess I'm saying YES! Get the book!

Here is what I do with nutritional yeast:

Yeasty Tofu Strips
    1 Cup Nutritional Yeast
    1 15 to 20 ounce brick of tofu
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400. Take tofu brick and cut into approximately 1/4' to 1/2' strips. Put the yeast on plate and liberally coat the tofu with the yeast. I actually put to the tofu in the yeast. Put the yeast-coated tofu on to a flat, pam-sprayed cooking sheet. Cook for about 30 minutes. DO NOT UNDER COOK! Make sure that when you touch the tofu in the oven that the yeast doesn't come off on your fingers. If it does, it's not done. The same thing goes for the cooking sheet. Make sure that the strips are crisp, fairly rigid, and golden when you remove them from the oven. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the yeasty strips, if you'd like. We eat these strips with a nice brown rice and broccoli or asparagus. Enjoy!
    "A human can be healthy without killing animals for food. Therefore if he eats meat he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral." - Leo Tolstoy

Does it really taste cheesy?

I bought some yeast flakes too and am intending to put it on home-made pizza tonight.

I think it tastes better than cheese, but I don't like greasy, pusy things.

lol

Maybe i will attempt your melty pizza cheese recipe - can you just mix the flakes with boiling water? I don't have any of the other ingredients.

I don't think it will be thick and flavorful enough if you do that. Perhaps others will know more, though.

Banana- you need more than just the yeast to make the cheese saucey.

Try 1/2 c water (about)
    2 T oatmeal (plain!)
    2 T cornstarch
    2 T lemon juice
    6+T nutritional yeast
    2 T tahini if you have it

Blend it in your blender, then you can pour it on your pizza and as it cooks it'll thicken up. I use this on quesadillas as well.I can't find the exact recipe however, so you might have to play with the amount of water/yeasy needed.

Sorry Banana- I just checked Artichokes recipe and noticed you said you didn't have things like the lemon juice and corn starch.

However, the oatmeal can still help! It's a great thickener (Imagine your nice warm breakies..) I'd experiment with blending water/yeast and oats in the blender, and then I'd cook this on the stove to thicken for a while before putting on the pizza.

If you have any almonds in the house you can make 'parmeson' cheeze to sprinkle on the pizza. Grind 1/2C almonds (blanched if you want the cheese to be white) to a fine powder in a food processor. Add 2 T nutritional yeast and 1/4 t salt. Put in a shaker and sprinkle on top like parmeson cheese. It will keep a long time in the fridge.

Hope that helps

Also, if you add turmeric to the cheese sauce, about 1/4 tsp., it makes it a nice orange color!

Thanks everyone for the advice on nutritional yeast flakes!

here is the cheez sauce recipe i use...it's so easy and it's great on natchos (it would probably work very well on pizza too)

1/2 cup nutritional yeast
    3 tbs flour
    4 tsp corn starch
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup water
    1 tbs oil
    2 tsp dijon mustard

mix dry ingredients together then add oil, water, and mustard. heat on medium till it begins to thicken. enjoy

Default Nutritional Yeast?

What is it, what does it look like and where can I buy it? I have seen it sated in many recipes, manly vegan cheese of egg dishes. Can anyone enlighten me?
    Last edited by Korn; Nov 3rd, 2004 at 09:55 PM. Reason: This was the first post in another thread about the same subject

You should be able to find it in your health food stores. I am not sure if your local market would supply that. I have not used yeast in any recipe's. I believe some use Red Star nutritional yeast.

i have some nutritional yeast made by Engevita i think which comes in a round tub. it's available in health food shops in the UK (not sure if that includes Holland & Barrett, but my local independent shop has it) and i think Veganstore www.veganstore.co.uk sell it. the stuff itself doesn't look too appealing i have to say, it's sort of orangey-yellow flakes. it has a nutty, sort of Marmitey flavour and i put it in curries, stews, soups, anything savoury really. if you stir it right in while you're cooking it dissolves and can act a bit like a thickener. it gives many dishes a nice flavour.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

That's the same brand I use, it's really nice, I can eat a spoonful on its own, heheh

Default Nutrional Yeast in UK/Eire

I keep hearing about this Red star Nutritional yeast.

Anyone know what shops UK/Eire stock it?

Or online?

Cheers

I haven't seen the Red Star yeast here, but I buy Marigold (aka Engevita) Nutritional Yeast which I think is the same sort of thing. You can usually find it in larger wholefood shops in the UK, and maybe Eire too? www.goodnessdirect.co.uk apparently sell it on-line but I'm not sure how far they will ship.

Two simple things I do:
    1) When I 'butter' toast with homus, but don't have much else in the cupboard, I sprinkle some nutritional yeast on the homus, and it is quite tasty!
    2) If I have a miso or other soup with just veggies, when it comes to serving time, I put a nice big tablespon of nutritional yeast. Quite yummy.
    There are people here who make a sort of cheese with it. I keep the yeast in the fridge, and simply use it as above to add protein.
    Eve

Various recipes:

http://www.catteacorner.com/ingredients2.htm

Scroll down a bit to "nutritional yeast."

Courtesy of GertVegan.

Default nutritional yeast

so i have been looking through all my vegan recipe books for cheese recipes, because i am finding the processed vegan cheese expensive and not very nice, and the ingredient that keeps coming up is nutritional yeast. so i go to the supermarket- they don't have it, i go to a health food shop- they don't have it. does anyone else have problems finding this ingredient? do i just need to keep on looking at different health food shops (when i am in the city, my town only has holland and barrett), or am i better off just buying on the internet do you think?
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

Default Re: nutritional yeast

bp, you'll get it from fresh n wild, wild oats, harvest, and earthbound no worries.

safe

here's a cheese sauce recipe by the way, taken from ryan splint's 'hot damn and hell yeah' (a vegan recipe book). available from here. i would really recommend this book, i have made the bean burgers, ice cream and chocolate cake so far and they have all been really good. obviously i haven't tried the cheese recipe yet but here it is..

1/3 nutritional yeast
    1/2 cup flour
    1 T dried onion
    1/8 tsp tumeric
    1/8 tsp pepper
    6 T olive oil
    2 tsp mustard
    2 tsp salt
    1/2 cup tomato sauce
    1 3/4 cup of water

blend all of the above ingredients together in a saucepan, over medium heat, whisking continuously until it comes to the boil and thickens to yer liking. it thickens as it cools so is best eaten while still hot. to reheat, add a bit of water and stir well over low heat, oh no, do you think ryan will sue me for telling y'all his recipe?
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

Default Re: Nutritional yeast

to be fair i did search 'nutritional yeast' and this didn't come up

I have a nutritional yeast question. Well, several questions.

1. Are all brands of nutritional yeast vegan? Is it something that's "vegan" by default?

2. Are all brands of nutritional yeast very nutritious (especially with the B12)?

I ask this because, the health food store around here sells bags of nutritional yeast at a good price (about a dollar Canadian for a bag the size of a plastic sandwich sac...is that a good deal?). But there's no label on it telling me what brand it is. It just says Nutritional Yeast - Bulk.

The store clerks aren't very educated, in my opinion. They are just random people who don't give too much about their jobs. I'm not sure if they would be able to answer my questions.

I'm not lying about the store clerks. There is this girl in my school who didn't know what democracy meant (yes, English is her first language) or who won the 1995 Quebec referendum (this should obvious to all those living in Canada). And guess what? That store hired her.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Tigerlily
    I have a nutritional yeast question. Well, several questions.

1. Are all brands of nutritional yeast vegan? Is it something that's "vegan" by default?

2. Are all brands of nutritional yeast very nutritious (especially with the B12)?

I ask this because, the health food store around here sells bags of nutritional yeast at a good price (about a dollar Canadian for a bag the size of a plastic sandwich sac...is that a good deal?). But there's no label on it telling me what brand it is. It just says Nutritional Yeast - Bulk.

The store clerks aren't very educated, in my opinion. They are just random people who don't give too much about their jobs. I'm not sure if they would be able to answer my questions.

I'm not lying about the store clerks. There is this girl in my school who didn't know what democracy meant (yes, English is her first language) or who won the 1995 Quebec referendum (this should obvious to all those living in Canada). And guess what? That store hired her.

Why does it seem that health food store are notorious for hiring dimwits who are either stupid, rude, dispassionate or an irritating trinity of the lot combined ???

Red Star Nutritional Yeast in the US is fortified with B-12. As a vegan you need to ask to see the packaging or know the brand/type of that particular yeast at your HFS to see if it is fortified and meets your needs.

Quote bulletproof
    safe

here's a cheese sauce recipe by the way, taken from ryan splint's 'hot damn and hell yeah' (a vegan recipe book). available from here. i would really recommend this book, i have made the bean burgers, ice cream and chocolate cake so far and they have all been really good. obviously i haven't tried the cheese recipe yet but here it is..

1/3 nutritional yeast
    1/2 cup flour
    1 T dried onion
    1/8 tsp tumeric
    1/8 tsp pepper
    6 T olive oil
    2 tsp mustard
    2 tsp salt
    1/2 cup tomato sauce
    1 3/4 cup of water

blend all of the above ingredients together in a saucepan, over medium heat, whisking continuously until it comes to the boil and thickens to yer liking. it thickens as it cools so is best eaten while still hot. to reheat, add a bit of water and stir well over low heat, oh no, do you think ryan will sue me for telling y'all his recipe?
    I made this last night. It was okay but nothing great. I mixed in a bag of organic frozen spinach and then served it over whole-wheat pasta. Added some garlic powder as well. It just tasted a bit blah.

Thanks, CC! I will ask anyway and hopefully the clerk will know.

Quote feline01
    I made this last night. It was okay but nothing great. I mixed in a bag of organic frozen spinach and then served it over whole-wheat pasta. Added some garlic powder as well. It just tasted a bit blah.
    oh. sorry

Quote bulletproof
    oh. sorry
    Don't apologize, you just posted a recipe. You didn't hold a gun to my head and make me prepare it .

I bought a can of this weeks ago and still have never touched it.

This thread is very inspring and I really should try something with it! I must admit that I start missng cheese recently, but I don`t like soy cheeses.

littleTigercub