Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nutritional yeast

Default Re: Nutritional yeast

Prior to my trip to Australia to visit my family, my Mum went to their local health-food store to buy me a bag of nutritional yeast, so I could have it with my meals whilst visiting with them.

My Mum told me I would have to be "very careful" eating "that nutritional yeast". Apparantley the woman at the health-food store told her it can cause yeast infections if women eat too much of it!

That was the first I'd ever heard of that! Anyone know if there's any truth to this?

Candida yeast infection (Candida Albicans) is a body yeast infection. Red Star®’s nutritional yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) is not found to be a cause of yeast or candida infections.
    http://www.bulkfoods.com/yeast.htm

Beneficial nutritional brewer's yeast does not contribute to yeast infections such as Candida albicans. Food yeasts are not infectious. Nutritional yeasts are not live yeast cells.
    http://www.diet-and-health.net/Suppl...wersYeast.html

i found those two things while doing a search.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Default What is nutritional yeast?

This is my 26th day as a vegan and my first post here. Although I have dozens of questions still, a lot have been answered through this site - it's terrific. I've heard a lot about nutritional yeast - what does it provide? Does it add flavour to recipes? Or is it a supplement - and how important is it?

Default Re: What is nutritional yeast?

Gorgeous. It is a flakey golden coloured powder, cheesy in texture, packed full of b vitamins, and about 40% protien. You can use it to flavour soups, boost the flavour of lasagne (make a white sauce and stir this stuff in) etc etc.

Unfortunately I don't know where you can get it in Canada, but someone on this forum should be able to help.

Hi Karen, there's a thread about nutritional yeast here...
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Thanks, Korn. Very informative - gotta get me some!

im in canada, and i just get in a health food store.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

LittleNellColumbia

hi, i have got absolutely no idea where i can find nutritional yeast in south aust!
    also, does it melt? would it be good on pizza or toast? if not, can i make a sauce that isnt as complicated as all the other recipes? im lazy!
    thanks everyone!

Nutritional yeast comes as flakes or a powder, so it doesn't melt. I can be found in health food stores. It has a "cheesy" taste when mixed into sauces so it really is not a convenience food. However, there are some "uncheese" sauce mixes out there that are convenient.

Good luck!

Quote happycow
    hi, i have got absolutely no idea where i can find nutritional yeast in south aust!
    also, does it melt? would it be good on pizza or toast? if not, can i make a sauce that isnt as complicated as all the other recipes? im lazy!
    thanks everyone!
    I like it on toast. I drizzle a bit of olive oil, put a dusting of nutritional yeast on and then some lemon pepper. It's a great morning combo.

On pizza, I would dust some on top like one does with red pepper flakes.

Every sauce recipe that I've seen involves some cooking and whisking. If you're truely lazy, you might want to just use nutritional yeast as a topping you sprinkle on.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

LittleNellColumbia

Thanks Everyone for your help! Ill have a look around this week at some health food stores, and thankyou for the ideas of how it can be used!

Default Re: nutritional yeast

I have seen loads of recipes referring to nutritional yeast, I asked about it at the Viva fair and someone told me most health food stores should stock it, as I don't have time to scour Sheffield in search of it would any kind person out there tell me if they have found any in South Yorkshire?

Default Re: nutritional yeast

Quote Anna
    I have seen loads of recipes referring to nutritional yeast, I asked about it at the Viva fair and someone told me most health food stores should stock it, as I don't have time to scour Sheffield in search of it would any kind person out there tell me if they have found any in South Yorkshire?
    Both Zed's in Nether Edge and Beanies in Crookes have it in stock
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

nutritional yeast is SOOO delicious, I put it on everything.

I just started using nutritional yeast, after buying the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook (it's in almost all the recipes). I find it in the bulk section of the supermarket. It's so good in uncheese recipes, especially the nacho cheese sauce. It has really good flavour, I've started to put it in everything since I bought it!
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

FR

I like to add soymilk in place of water when making nutritional yeast cheese. Soymilk makes it much more cheesy and flavorful than water.

FR

Quote Kiva Dancer

On pizza, I would dust some on top like one does with red pepper flakes.
    That is what I do as opposed to making a cheese sauce to top the pizza with. I find the flakes melt, too. I prefer to use no cheese at all, or when I do want cheese, I go with Follow Your Hearts, "Vegan Gourmet" cheese.

I use the cheese sauce on pasta and veggie bakes.

i have a friend who quit using anti-depressants and only takes amino acids. i noticed that yeast flakes are full of amino acids. has anyone who eats nutritional yeast ever have a similar experience?? i really want to kick prozac but have had bad results in the past when i weened myself off of them. i would get more advice from my friend but he doesn't know if his are vegan or not (cant' look at the jars becasue he lives in another state).

I'm really scared to try this. I want to try it, I want to like it, but if I don't end up liking it I'll end up with a whole bunch of nutritional yeast I'll never eat. But um, eh. I am a picky eater. Oh, its cheesy flavour? Maybe thats the solution to my pizza problem. Its the flavour of cheese, not texture, that I miss mostly.
    ~"Stay calm and quiet now, my pretty little one, don't struggle like that, or I will only love you more," Lullabye, The Cure

Default Nutritional Yeast: Should have its own Sticky

Hi! I just bought some of this today. I went the safe route, since the NY at the veg*n store here is in twist tied bulk bags, I asked the lady at the counter if I could just buy a little sample of it, and she was much oblidged to help me with that.

So I have this little bag of nutri yeast I want to test. So what can I use it in? The vegan mac and chreese I bought has nutritional yeast in it, but I haven't tried that yet, and I'm itching to experiment a little with this sample I brought home.

Also bought today: vegan parmesian shaker, large block firm fridgerator tofu, veganaise (gotta get vegan bread and some lettuce and cukes so I can make sandwhiches) free trade oranges and spice chocolate (yum) and the nutri-yeast and vegan mac and chreese.

Oh, my purchases tallied to about $27 Canadian. Next time I'm going to Sobeys, I think their prices are lower.

(Tomorrow is the 'big' organic day at the market, every fri-sat so thats why there's no veg or fruit on my shopping list above. O_O)
    ~"Stay calm and quiet now, my pretty little one, don't struggle like that, or I will only love you more," Lullabye, The Cure

Default Re: Nutritional Yeast: Should have its own Sticky

Hi Urban

Usually, NY is used on popcorn, veggies (to add some intense flavor) or sometimes put it on some pastas or onto of pasta tomato sauce as a sub. for parmesan cheese. Enjoy.
    Be thankful for this moment, this moment is your life:)

yogini

nutritional yeast rocks..i looove it. i go through a tin a week..
    give it a go!

Default Nutritional Yeasts

Can someone clue me in on the difference in nutritional yeasts? I know there's some controversy as to whether they're vegan. But if one decides they are vegan, what's the difference among them? They are a significant source of protein. I know about Brewer's yeast, 'imported' nutritional yeast (like Brewer's only from molasses), and flake yeast. Flake and 'imported' seem to be similar, but imported doesn't seem to contain chromium. Also, what's the deal with yeast extract spreads? Which they have in the UK. They seem to be loaded with protein, and some brands are very low sodium (Meridian), but I haven't seen them in the States. Also, does anyone know why MacDougall doesn't seem to mention nutritional yeast at all? Pro or con, I'd appreciate any insight/opinions on this topic, thanks.

FR

Default I Love Nutritional Yeast

Wow, this stuff is really good. I love mixing nutritional yeast flakes with whole grain pasta.

I was wondering about the nutritional benefits associated with consuming it. I buy it in bulk but it is also sold at some stores in their supplement section. I know B12 is added to some brands. Does the addition of B12 alone qualify nutritional yeast as a supplement?

Default Re: I Love Nutritional Yeast

ConsciousCuisine

FR, every type of nutritional yeast is different but they all tend to be high in protein, fiber and many are fortified with various B vitamins (not all with B-12 though). Are you using Red Star? It's a supplement in the same way that soy and rice milks that have calcium and B-12 added are...more like a fortified food really that is a seasoning as well

It should state the percentage RDA (recommended daily allowance) on the packaging. If you consume enough of it to get the recommended amount of B12 then yes it can be considered as a B12 supplement. I just checked the one I have (Engevita) which contains loads of nutrients but not B12.

mango woman

How much nutritional yeast would you need to eat for it to get the daily B-12 requirement? Or, is there a certain amount that would be good to eat say, each day?

FR

The kind I get is Red Star Nutritional Yeast in the bulk bin at Wild Oats.

One of the Nutritionist told me that all Food grade Yeast available in the market are good source of B-12, I am confused. Food grade Yeast are naturally feeded with b-12 ?

Manish Jain

mango woman

My nutritional yeast doesn't even have a label on it, other than the name. i buy the flakes.. even though theyre more like powder. i get mine from the whole foods store across the street.

Yeast in itself is nutritious or there are people who make nutritious Yeast?

Manish

Nutritional Yeast and the yeast used for baking are two different things, in case that is unclear.

Joanne Stepaniak, who is a well informed writer, has made a Nutritional Yeast Cookbook, but Dr. Gabriel Cousens, another well informed writer, said somewhere that he doesn't
    recommend nutritional Red Star yeast, because of the fungal potential. Others again have said the there isn't any real fungal potential...

I love Joanne Stepaniak. Here is a link to more of her books also:

http://www.vegsource.com/jo/

Default Nutritional Yeast

I just bought some nutritional yeast from the bulk bins at wild oats. It said on the bin that it contained B12 and I was wondering if there was any way I could find out about how much B12 it contains. I've heard that the nutritional yeast in the wild oats bulk bins is red star, can anyone confirm or deny this? Thanks for the help.

Talking Re: Nutritional Yeast

I cannot confirm or deny, but I can share the info on my Red Star bottle.

serving size = 1 1/2 tablespoons

B12 = 133% of your daily value.

it also has 60 calories, 1 gram of fat, 5 mg sodium, 7 g carb, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein and

thiamin (b1) - 640%
    niacin - 280%
    folic acid - 60%
    selenium - 32%
    iron - 4%
    riboflavin (b2) - 565%
    vitamin b6 - 480%
    zinc - 21%

that is the red star vegetarian support formula - it is fortefied.

anyone know where to find this in norway?
    det e bedre at den e dyr - enn at den e døde dyr

I bought a huge can of nutritional yeast a long while back and it had an incredibly pungent taste. It totally overrode all other flavors in whatever I was trying to make. I know it wasn't the Red Star nutritional yeast, do different types of nutritional yeast have different tastes? Or is there a good chance that all yeasts taste that way, and I just have an aversion to it?

yeah i think i read that it tastes like really strong and u are meant to mix it in with something or something..
    (by the way i found a store in norway to order from.)
    det e bedre at den e dyr - enn at den e døde dyr

Quote foxytina_69
    thanx

yes i love using it for cheese. i just never knew what it was exactly

I am trying to be a vegan and I have just started three days ago. I tried to make a "Cheese" sauce for pasta using nutritional yeast flakes, but it tasted awful!! Do you know of any good recipes? It is hard to find a good cheese substitute!

I use grated tofu for toppings where I need to.

Manish

Ive just discovered this stuff

my health expert tells me its one of the best suources of B12 around.
    it also avoids the problems with yeast taking over your stomach and knocking out the good bacteria.

Use it rather than stock as I have been told alot of veggie stock or hydrolized vegtable stock is pure MSG

G

Quote gibby View Post
    Use it rather than stock as I have been told alot of veggie stock or hydrolized vegtable stock is pure MSG
    If you can find me reference to any organic veggie stock available in the UK is pure MSG then please let me know.

Out of interest how would you suggest using it instead of vegetable stock?

On a seperate note, whilst there's a thread on the subject, I personally believe that nutricianal yeast makes a pretty naff substitute for the flavour of cheese. There's quite a lot of recipes on the web and in recipe books for 'cheese' sauces based around it, which are really nothing short of offensive. I can only assume the authors of such recipes either have very low standards, can't remember the taste of real cheese or are clinically insane.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Ive only learnt of the dangers of MSG recently and as I have chest problems if I dont look after myself MSG must be avoided.
    Those with asthma must avoid msg as it paralisies the chest as well as other parts of the body

"the following alwasy contain MSG
    Glutamate, Monopotassium glutamate, glutamic acid, calcium caseinate, sodium casinate, gelatine, textured protein, hydrolyzed protein, yeast extract, yeast food, autolyzed yeast, yeast nutrient.

The following OFTEN contain MSG
    malt extraxt/flavouring, barly malt. bouillon, stock, broth, carrageenin, maltodextrin, whey protein & concentrate, pectin. anything protein fortified.
    flavours and flavoring inc natural. Pork & beef & chicken flavouring. Seasonings.
    soy sauce & extract & protein. smoke flavouring."

Taken from eating Right for the heath of it"
    Dr Joe Esposito

Ive always used Vecon as a stock and is veg soc approved too.
    reading the label its full of vitamins and minerals so it looks healthy but on checking it it has a few things that do have MSG

Im waiting for a reply from the makers to see what they say.

as for the cheese thing I dont know as I havnt used it for that

gibby - from your own source, it would appear that nutritional yeast always contains msg. I'd say you should be avoiding it, it that's true!

Im no expert on this
    but as far as I know nutritional yeast does not contain MSG

hopefully the firms that make it are not adding this rubbish into the product

G

Some interesting data - naturally occuring msg in mg/100g

Potatoes 102
    Corn 130
    Oysters 137
    Tomatoes 140
    Broccoli 176
    Mushrooms 180
    Peas 200
    Grape juice 258
    Fresh tomato juice 260
    Walnuts 658
    Soy Sauce 1090

It's important for people with sensitivities to be aware of it - but it's not that bad for the rest of the population - just don't have loads of it!
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

The Japanese are calling glutamate + ribonucleotides one of the basic tastes, along with salty, sweet, bitter, and sour: umami.

http://www.umamiinfo.com/what_exactly_is_umami?/

When put a few small pieces of walnuts on my salads, they provide for an immensely better taste without adding too many calories. I think that soy sauce also adds a great deal to the taste of a dish aside from saltiness alone.

I don't like nutritional yeast, though. I've tried a few uncheeze recipes with it and they are not convincing! And I mean that in the most charitable way.

Nutritional yeast has less than 0.5 mcg of chromium per serving. This nutrient is very important and many people are deficient. Brewer's yeast is choke full of chromium (60 mcg per serving).

Too much nutritional yeast is not good for you! Everything in moderation. You can come upon many new problems eating tons of this stuff on a daily basis.

I mix brewers yeast into a paste with vegetable margarine and use it as a spread.

It's really tasty with hot English mustard and you can add lettuce and other salady things.

I may be alone in this ''like'' but it's good for me; and I think it tastes good.

Not everyone does though.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"