Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Nutritional yeast

Default Re: Nutritional yeast

i went to my holland & barrett asking if they had nutritional yeast and they kept offering me yeast (as in what you use to make bread) and i kept saying no, they are 2 different things. but they didnt understand. and i eventually told them nevermind, lol.

Question nutritional yeast

what IS this nutritional yeast?? and where can it be bought in the u.k?

i asked in my local hf shop today and got a puzzled look and a gigantic bottle of brewers yeast tablets thrust at me
    Last edited by flutterby; Jan 9th, 2007 at 08:38 AM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread, please use the search

Default Re: nutritional yeast

Nutritional yeast is a type of inactive yeast that comes either in a powder or flakes. It's golden yellow and smells kind of bad. But you can use it to make cheesy substitutes. I don't think it tastes cheese-like on it's own but when you mix it with other ingredients, I could understand how it would taste cheesy. I like the taste.

Some brands are fortified with B12, so for some people, it's a nutrient source.

Some more info here.

I should be available in the UK.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

so it smells nasty but it doesn't taste nasty?
    it tastes a bit cheesy..hmm..and it definately isnt brewers yeast.
    any brand names to look out for?

Yes, it smells really strong but it tastes good. Tastes really savoury.

In North America, you can find Red Star and Bob's Red Mills or something. I buy mine bulk, so I don't know what brand I get.

okay..thanks for your help tigerlily..i think my main option that isn't internet shopping based is our holland & barrett shops..unless someone in the uk who posts on here sees the thread and knows of a really good place to get it from..

Mahk

If a natural, non-fortified, source of vegan vitamin B12 is what you seek, then according to this site you must buy a specific brand and style of nutritional yeast: "Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula T6635+ Nutritional Yeast is the only proven, reliable vegan yeast source of Vitamin B12."

From:http://vegangrandma.blogspot.com/200...a_archive.html

I also found a store locater at this site, but sorry, it is US only. Maybe you could email them about the UK: http://www.redstaryeast.com/contact.html

carol does look a little foxily stern...

thanks mahk..i will try uk shops before venturing to american shipping etc..but ty for the link

Emma, they don't have it in our local H&B but they do have it in our GNC if you have one of those near where you are? Most common brand name in the UK is Marigold (which doesn't come with vitamin B12 but you can get that from other things).

If you do have to get it on-line they have it here:
    http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...il/579698.html

...edited to add that I've just noticed it's marked "out of stock" at Goodness Direct

GNC!?!

i think it'll have to be an internet shopping job.
    i'm near 'out of this world'..leeds..but i don't know if they stock it..
    familiar with marigold products, but it's hard to even find something like tofu in this town let alone the mysterious nutritional yeast product...

thanks harpy

Hey Emma,

I asked in H&B and also got the puzzled look. Have you tried any other health food shops? I had better luck at the small local one. As mentioned it's Marigold you want (big black tub, orange lid, with Engevita in white http://images.google.com/images?svnu...ta&btnG=Search). It's tasty!

Veryblue2

I'm not sure what supermarkets in the UK are like, but are there any that are really big with a large veg*n food section? You might be able to find it there.

its more often found in independant wholefood/health stores in the uk. h & b dont stock it.

Uh..not round these 'ere parts cedarBlue..I've asked all the likely places and got blank stares and confused grunts..so..am going to get some from the vegan store online shopping emporium.

i do find it really frustrating though..had about 25 minutes to get some sunflower/soya/non dairy spread this afternoon..went to holland & barrett..they didn't have any..seems like they get about 2 tubs of 'pure' in a week..and that's it. Not impressed..tried evil jack fulton's on the off chance cos it was nearby and they had about 4 different types of milky-buttery margariney-spread..piled high in two seperate fridges. I don't get it. Plus it smelled nasty in there.

A vegan diet doesn't seem extreme to me at all these days..natural..normal and ace. But ask for something 'unmainstream' and you might as well be asking for..gnuh..i don't know..the ever elusive nutritional yeast!!!

MmmVeggies

I think it smells wonderful... and tastes gorgeous. I eat it like crazy... I put it on everything...

i found a local stockists..Hurray..

http://www.beanowholefoods.co.uk/

My nutritional yeast is labled "Nutritional Brewer's Yeast" which is a bit puzzling to me, but it does contain B12 and a boatload of other nutrients.

Am I the only one who isn't wild about nutritional yeast? I don't think it tastes particularly cheesy, can't really think of anything in its favour.. Apart form the nutritional properties maybe. Bleurgh.

heh..probably fiamma!!

i stocked up on loads of it..the tubs are massive..it's super tasty! I've been sprinkling it on all sorts of stuff, and just yesterday coming home from work, I remembered I'd bought it and felt a tiny secret thrill of excitementand anticipation..heh heh..it's been all I can do not to get a teaspoon and just dig in

so to sum up: i love it!

A cup full of the stuff saved a very odd garlic soup I made last night!!!

*sits in the corner and sulks*

auntierozzi..why was the garlicy soup odd? too much garlic? explain!!

p.s do you think we can tempt fiamma out of her sulking corner? perhaps with a nice spoonful of delicious nutritional yeast...

mua ha ha

Hi EmmaP!!
    My soup was odd because it involved boiling about 20 garlic cloves, sage and thyme in water for 1/2 an hour.....at the same time grilling 16 slices of bread with vegan butter and vegan cheese on (I was converting an omni recipe) and I really am not that keen on vegan cheese! Anyway, when the bread was grilled you had to put it in to the watery mixture, then whizz it all up in the food mixer....( starting to realize why I needed to do something to it aren't you???) Anyway, then you put the remaining toast in the soup bowls and poured the rest on top....but it looked grey and had sad undercurrents of vegan cheese in there.....Rummaged around in the cupboard and hey presto!!! A nice dob of the aforementioned super product and erm...well, it was OK....Won't do it again in a hurry So, this might not tempt our Italian friend....but.....the garlic recipe was in my Italian cookery book!!!!!! So she might know how it should have been done!

the soup was grey...
    that's obviously a specific recipe, but i don't know..it doesn't sound at all appetizing. Hurray for nutritional yeast!
    I think you did great for even attempting it

Thanks Emma You are very polite!! LOL

Bon appétit from Mme Greysoup.

You girls are so funny

Girls..tee hee

I'm a little past the age where I can get away with being classed as a girl.

I remember time when a small child on a bus accidently kicked my leg and her mum said "mind that LADY'S leg"..and I though "woooah..I'm a lady..an adult!!"

Now I go into my local supermarket and there are signs saying "please don't be offended if we ask you for ID to prove your age"..and I just think "yeah..like THAT'S ever gonna happen again"

About nutritional yeast--I have a few questions/inquiries. First off, I hear that a spoonful of it can help rid you of anxiety. I was recommended it by a co-worker who happens to also be a psychotherapist (with concentrations in hypnosis and neurolinguistics).

Here are my questions.

- Is there such an existing nutritional yeast that's organic?

- Is nutritional yeast suitable for those who are wheat-free and gluten-free?

- I saw someone in the forum mentioning cane sugar and yeast in the same post. Nutritional yeast isn't from cane sugar, is it?

If anyone can answer any of these questions, I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks!

hi pisces..the only nutritional yeast i've come across (the one that i've now got stacks and stacks of in my kitchen cupboards) is the marigold 'engevita' stuff.

it states that it's a primary strain of sacchasomyces cerevasiae, which is grown on enriched purified molasses under carefully controlled conditions. it doens't contain any genetically modified organisms..

the ingredients are solely listed as 'dried inactive yeast'..no sign of any wheat or gluten.

i don't see on the packaging that it's organic..and i don't believe it has anything to do with cane sugar!

Thanks, Emma.

However, I know that molasses comes from sugar cane.

Mahk

Pisces, molasses doesn't come from cane sugar. If anything, it is more the other way around. Molasses and cane sugar both come from the juice of the original plant called "sugar cane". [edit: Is it the possible bone char filtration of cane sugar (a later step after the separation of the "raw" sugar from the molasses) that has you avoiding cane sugar, or am I missing something?]

Here in Boston, there was a freak accident in 1919 when a enormous tank of molasses burst and the flood on the street killed 21 people and injured 150. The giant wave of sticky liquid was 5 to 8 ft. high and also killed many dogs and horses! The story and photos are here.

Does anyone know why Marigold's Nutritional Yeast is out of stock absolutely everywhere??

I've been trying to get some for months, every online store is out, and local shops haven't had any for ages I need my cheesy sauces!!!

Quote gibby View Post
    Im no expert on this but as far as I know nutritional yeast does not contain MSG hopefully the firms that make it are not adding this rubbish into the product G
    hey guys! I haven't posted on here in a while, hope everyone is well. I had a dinner party last night and my boyfriends 'obsessive' sister came. Don't get me wrong, I know what it's like to go to dinners and be the burden of the meal with all of my restrictions, but she is pretty much an uneducated google addict that.... Okay, let me not rant and rave. Bottom line, I made mac and cheese, I showed her the nutritional yeast and she wouldn't eat it because of the "Glutamic acid." (granted she eats mcdonalds and other various fast foods) So I shrugged and let it go. This morning she sent me this.

http://www.daystarbotanicals.com/nutritionalyeast.html

I think everyone should look it over, for personal knowledge. I'd also love to start a discussion. What do you guys think of this? I SO don't want to give up my nooch
    -zee

Hello there Anastazee.

That web site is selling an alternative to nutritional yeast isn't it, so I would take what it says with a pinch of salt, so to speak.

The Wikipedia article on nutritional yeast has a bit about the glutamate issue http://www.daystarbotanicals.com/nutritionalyeast.html

Have you felt ill after eating nutritional yeast? If not I wouldn't be too worried, personally. It's not as if people usually eat tons of the stuff.

Quote Anastazee View Post
    hey guys! I haven't posted on here in a while, hope everyone is well. I had a dinner party last night and my boyfriends 'obsessive' sister came. Don't get me wrong, I know what it's like to go to dinners and be the burden of the meal with all of my restrictions, but she is pretty much an uneducated google addict that.... Okay, let me not rant and rave. Bottom line, I made mac and cheese, I showed her the nutritional yeast and she wouldn't eat it because of the "Glutamic acid." (granted she eats mcdonalds and other various fast foods) So I shrugged and let it go. This morning she sent me this.

http://www.daystarbotanicals.com/nutritionalyeast.html

I think everyone should look it over, for personal knowledge. I'd also love to start a discussion. What do you guys think of this? I SO don't want to give up my nooch
    First off, your boyfriends sister is a stupid bitch. If she refuses to eat glutamic acid then she must know how all meat, fish, poultry, eggs, and dairy products are very high in glutamic acid right? And, everything at mcdonalds has added MSG.

Anyway, I suggest people don't read that article, it's bunk. Glutamic acid is a non-essential amino acid and monosodium glutamate (MSG) is a sodium salt made from glutamic acid. They are not the same thing. MSG is made by extracting the glutamic acid from yeast then binding it to sodium to make a stable salt that can be used as a food additive.

Nutritional yeast does not have added glutamic acid; it occurs naturally in yeast cells. Which is why they grow yeast to extract the glutamic acid to make MSG. And, nutritional yeast is nutritional without the added vitamins. Some brands are further fortified with vitamins that are difficult to obtain on plant based diets.

That whole article is bunk and not very convincing bunk either.
    Veganism is the application of the abolitionist principle to the life of the individual. It is not an option; it is essential. — Gary Francione