Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Miso

Default Can opened refrigerated miso go bad?

I have a small container of fermented miso in the refrigerator that I've had for what seems like an eternity, but I think it's been in there for a little over a year, maybe less. I've had so many stomach distress troubles from eating badly fermented foods creating severe acid in my stomach that I've been really afraid to try the miso. Maybe I'm being a little neurotic, but I always opt on the side of caution, especially because I don't have a cast iron stomach. Is anyone knowledgeable about fermented miso? Does it ever go bad or does it just keep fermenting indefinitely and get better with age? It may have gone a couple hours without refrigeration temporarily while in transition between moving from 1 place to another, but for the most part it's remained cold in refrigeration. I was searching for a good easy simple vegan recipe like a dip or something, but I first want to make sure it's safe and edible to eat. Please tell me.

Thanks.

Default Re: Can opened refrigerated miso go bad?

Bin it!
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    Bin it!
    I'll second that!

miso will stay good for a few months in the fridge ... but a year is pushing it!

Quote Risker View Post
    Bin it!
    and never get any more, only buy things you like and are going to use.
    I desided this year to try and keep my cupboards as empty as possible, only haveing the things that I know that I'm gonna use soon, and when I have an empty fridge befor I stuff it with lovely fresh veg I give a quick wipe down.
    That add that sayes that ones loo seat is cleener that ones kitchin surfeses are. How is that possible?
    DON'T BEEMOAN THE DARK. LIGHT A CANDLE AND SHOW THE WAY.

^ I'm pretty sure that urine is a mild disinfectant, that would explain why.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

cobweb

i always shout at the telly when one of those ads about hygeine comes on! - i shout "how the **** d'you know, have you ever been in my bathroom???" ugh, makes me cross.

Yeah, plus it's not like you're going to eat off your loo seat, is it?
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

cobweb

Quote twinkle View Post
    Yeah, plus it's not like you're going to eat off your loo seat, is it?
    exactly, it's friggin irrelevant!

I just got some instant Miso soup and it works out @ £48 a kg.
    Ha, I was shokt.
    DON'T BEEMOAN THE DARK. LIGHT A CANDLE AND SHOW THE WAY.

Default Re: the miso thread

I've a question about this:
    There's a restaurant my family goes to a lot as a tradition called Hana Haru and they have the greatest food ever. I haven't been back since going vegan but I know they have an amazing miso soup (or what I thought was miso). It was yellowish and salty, and it had white stuff floating in it in cubes and some green onion. When the soup settled, the powder stuff went to the bottom. I am assuming this is miso.

I recently bought a miso paste stuff from Whole Foods, and it's called Cold Mountain light yellow miso. I thought it'd taste like the soup from the restaurant but it didn't. It either tastes WAY too salty because I put too much in, or it just tastes like bean or rice water-nothing like the way I want it to. Should I have put other ingredients in it to get it to taste like that? Have I used the wrong miso?
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Mahk

The white cubes were probably tofu, aka bean curd. Miso comes in different colors, ages of fermentation, and I guess strength. I just finished a bowl of miso soup. I used about two level teaspoons and it seemed the right strength to me.

P.S. My miso tub mentions one should never boil miso. Boiling the soup prior to miso being added is OK though but let it cool first slightly. I mix the miso paste with a small amount of water first and then add it to the no longer boiling water. I often add nori seaweed cut in short lengths (this is the seaweed sushi is made from), green onions (aka scallions), silken tofu (not soft or firm), and sometimes rice noodles, bamboo shoots or bean sprouts.

Thank you Mahk.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Default Using up miso?

I have almost half a kilo of miso in my fridge and we're getting close to the expiry date. I use it often in soups for quick comfort food but it looks like it self-regenerates or something! Do you know of any recipes that require A LOT of miso? I never use dressings on salads so I'm a bit stumped on ideas.

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

Default Re: Using up miso?

Because of Misos high salt content, it will last a few months past the expirey date. Keep it in an airtight container in the fridge.

You can add it too casseroles and other soups, or make gravy with it adding other ingredients.
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

Default Re: Using up miso?

Quote 1gentlemaorispirit View Post
    Because of Misos high salt content, it will last a few months past the expirey date.
    Oh, this is great news! Thank you