Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Miso

Default Miso

besides making a soup, what are some uses of miso?
    thanks

ConsciousCuisine

OH! I use it for any sauce or anything at all where a salty/savory flavor is needed! I make "Pate's" , Nut and Seed Cheeses, Shepheard's Pie, Pasta Sauces, Steamed Veggies, Salad Dressings, Stir Fries..oh, everything that needs a "salty" taste! (Same thing for nutritional yeast, actually) Just add after cooking and never heat to a boil!

Mix it with tahini and spread it on a sandwich

Default Which Brand of Miso is the Best?

I use a LOT of miso and am always on the lookout for great miso. Currently I am using Miso Master Organic, which has a lovely complex taste. But it's also expensive at $7.50 per pound. I have tried some other cheap brands but they just taste like salt to me. I even recently tried some brands at an asian market (careful, many of them have bonito in them) but most tasted salty.

So, if you have a favorite miso please share.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Default Re: Which Brand of Miso is the Best?

Some of the stuff sold in the UK supermarkets and healt food stores also contains bonito. I've tried most brands i've come across in the UK, but i'm not really a connisseur
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Ah, Flibble, I was hoping you would have a good brand. I know you do a lot of wonderful cooking.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Default the miso thread

i got a book called The Miso Book about preparing food with miso and i would like to share some of the recipes. first some shopping and cooking guidelines are given.
    *choosing organic miso and other soy products has become even more important in recent years because of the rapidly increasing production of genetically modified soybeans. since there are no federal laws regulating the labeling of products made with genetically mekified ingredients, the only way to ensure that the miso you buy has not been made with GM soybeans is to use miso that is made with organic ingredients which prohibits the use of GMOs.
    *the color of miso is an indication of its quality. long-aged salty miso, marketed under such names as 'brown rice', 'barley', 'red', and 'rice' miso should be a ruch russet or earthy brown color, not black or nearly black. sweet misos, which are marketed as 'mellow white', mellow barley', 'white', 'sweet white' miso should be light in color, never brown.
    *the key to fine miso cooking is to integrate the more subtle aspects of miso's color and flavor in a gentle balance with other ingredients, not to overpower dishes with its strong taste. for example, when making miso soup using a stock as a base helps achieve a full, rich flavor with considerably less miso than you would if you used plain water and relied solely on miso to supply all the flavor.
    *although miso will keep indefinitely in the refrigerator it's best to use sweet miso within 9 months and dark miso within 18 months.
    *miso that is sold unrefrigerated in sealed plastic bags is almost certainly pasteurized or has an added preservative such as alcohol. an exception to this rule is very old, dry soybean miso, such as Hatcho miso.
    *although there are some exceptions, unpasteurized miso should be added to dishes at or near the end of cooking time, at the last minute, to preserve its full fresh flavor and beneficial enzymes and other microorganisms.
    *when making a sauce or stew that is thickened with arrowroot or kuzu, both of which are usually added near the end of cooking, incorporate teh miso first and allow it to simmer at least several minutes before adding the thickener. if miso is added along with or after the thickener, its enzymes will begin 'digesting' the long carbohydrate chains that are needed to maintain thickness.
    *it is best to mix the miso with some stock or other liquid in a separate bowl before adding it to a recipe. this allows the miso to permeate the soup, stew, or sauce more evenly.
    *when incorporating miso into a thick mixture such as a tofu-based dip first combine it with vinegar, lemon juice, or other liquid from a recipe, or simply thin the miso with an equal amount of water.

sweet miso:
    *it is an excellent dairy substitute. instead of adding milk, butter, and salt to mashed potatoes or creamed soups, try a little sweet miso. replace the sour cream typically used in dips and spreads, with a mixture of sweet miso, tofu, and lemon juice or rice vinegar.
    *together, sweet miso and naturally brewed rice vinegar create a delicious tartness that is both refreshing and cooling. known as su miso, this combination has a long history in japanese cuisine. blended with other ingredients, such as oil, onion, dill, rice syrup, tofu, and tahini, su miso is excellent in american style dressings, dips, and sauces.
    *mixed with equal amounts of mirin or sake, sweet miso makes a delicious and versatile sauce for baked, broiled, or stir-fried vegetables and tofu. (bringing it to a simmer momentarily evaporates the alcohol) add sauteed slivered almonds for an amandine sauce.
    *create another versatile sauce by combining sweet miso with tahini that has been thinned with water or stock. adding ingredients such as lemon, ginger, garlic, onion, mirin, and/or herbs changes its personality to accompany different veggies, grains, noodles, and tofu. substituting freshly roasted ground nuts or seeds for the tahini achieves a delicious result.

dark miso:
    *dark salty misos combine nicely with beans, gravies, baked dishes, and hearty vegetable stews and soups.
    *when mixed with sweet, tangy, or pungent ingredients, such as mirin, rice syrup, rice vinegar, or fresh ginger, dark miso adds refreshing flavor to sauces.
    *keep in mind that dark miso is stronger in flavor than sweet miso, so use it sparingly.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." —Margaret Mead

Default Re: the miso thread

I am so excited for new ways to use miso. Goodbye Girl, I have to say, you post some great recipes.

I make a miso sauce for my stir-fries sometime. When I figure out the proportions, I'll post it. It involves miso, ginger, sesame oil, water, and lemon, but I can't recall in what proportions off the top of my head.

Cheers,
    rant

well, it's not really a help to you unless you visit the uk

Here we have an importer from asia which sell mostly (if not all) vegan products, most of which is also organic - called Clearspring Direct. I first found their site through google and wrote to them long before they became big - now their stuff is in major supermarkets. It's all rebadged as their brand though so although the same produce may end up in the US there's no way of knowing. The other main importer is G. Costa, who trade under a variety of names including Blue Dragon, but also sell non vegan products.

Clearspring sell quite a few varieties of miso, but as I say i'm not really a connisseur of it, i tend to just add a dollup to various broths (such as shiitake/konbu stock) for a bit of extra flavour
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

What does Miso taste like? It's too expensive to simply try it to see if I like it, I have to know if it's worth the 9 bucks!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I usually buy Eden brand. It is made locally and I don't know how far they ship though.

Yeah, miso is sold at the grocery store but it's fairly expensive for me. I'm afraid I'm just going to waste my money if I don't like it.

It's salty (very salty) and savory. You generally use a little bit of the paste to make soups, sauces, and flavorings. The next time you go out to eat at a Japanese resturant or such, order a cup of miso soup. That will give you an idea of the flavor. Just make sure there is no fish in it, as some Japanese resturants do put fish in it.

Cheers,
    rant

Ahh, we have no Japanese restaurants here.

Tigerlilly, do they have an asian section in your supermarket? Ours has little packs of instant noodles with a miso broth for under a $1. It is a way to get an idea of how miso tastes but it really isn't a very high quality miso.

I bought them once but they had bonito in it.

mellow miso dressing

1/3 c safflower oil
    1/4 c water
    3 T sweet or mellow miso
    1 1/2 T brown rice vinegar
    1 T chopped onion
    2 t rice syrup or mirin
    1/4 - 1/2 t dried mustard

place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. if necessary add more water to reach desired consistency. transfer to a jar with a lid. use immediately or cover and chill until ready to use. shake well before using.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." —Margaret Mead

a different version of 'thousand islands' salad dressing. good on salads, tofu, and vegeburgers.

'miso islands' dressing

1 c tofu mayonnaise
    1/4 c ketchup
    3 T sweet or mellow miso
    1 T rice vinegar
    1 T rice syrup
    1 T finely grated onion
    1 T grated fresh horseradish
    2 T relish

place all ingredients in a small bowl and stir until well blended. transfer to a jar with a lid.
    use immediately or cover and chill until ready to use. shake well before using.

amazake dressing

1/2 c amazake
    1/4 c brown rice vinegar
    2 T light sesame oil
    2 T olive oil
    1 T red or brown rice miso
    1 clove garlic, sliced

place all of the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth. transfer to a jar with a lid. use immediately or cover and chill until ready to use. shake well before using.

coconut - lime dressing

2 T fresh lime juice
    2 T coconut milk
    2 t maple syrup
    1 T sweet or mellow miso
    1 T water
    1/4 c canola oil
    3 T shredded unsweetened coconut

place the lime juice, coconut milk, maple syrup, miso, and water in a blender. with the blender running remove the lid and add the oil in a thin stream. blend until smooth, then stir in the shredded coconut. treansfer the dressing to a jar with a lid.
    use immediately, or cover and chill until ready to use. shake well before using.

cool-as-a-cucumber dressing

1 medium pickling cucumber
    2 T chopped onion
    2 T lemon juice
    2 T sweet or mellow miso
    2 T water
    1 T rice syrup
    1 T lemon zest
    1 T chopped dill
    1/8 t black pepper
    1/4 c walnut oil

place all of the ingredients excepts the oil in a blender. with the blender running remove the lid and add the oil in a thin stream. blend until smooth. transfer the dressing to a jar with a lid. use immediately or cover and chill until ready to use. shake well before using.

zesty crimson dressing

2 T sweet or mellow miso
    2 T water
    2 T brown rice vinegar
    1 T brown rice syrup
    1 T chopped red onion
    1 T grated beet
    2 t fresh ginger juice
    1/4 c canola oil

place all of the ingredients excepts the oil in a blender. with the blender running remove the lid and add the oil in a thin stream. blend until smooth. transfer the dressing to a jar with a lid. use immediately or cover and chill until ready to use. shake well before using.

fu (baked wheat gluten) adds protein and an interesting texture to this simple soup. shonai fu, which is the variety sold in flat sheets, is recommended.

fall miso soup

6 c shiitake stock
    4 fresh or reconstituted shiitake caps, thinly sliced
    1 c butternut squash, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
    1 1/2 c tightly packed chopped kale
    1 sheet shonai fu, broken into bite-sized pieces
    1/4 c barley, red, or brown miso

place the stock and shiitake in a 4 quart pot over medium geat and bring to a boil. reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer 5 minutes.
    add the squash and simmer 5 minutes.
    add the kale and fu and simmer 10 minutes more, or until the greens are tender. remove from the heat.
    dissolve the miso in some of the broth and add it to the soup. allow to steep a minute before serving.

miso soup with fresh corn is a summer favorite. boiling the cobs results in a delicious stock. when using a different summer vegetable, such as bok choy or zucchini, start with a tasty shiitake or vegetable stock.

summer miso soup

3-4 ears fresh corn
    6 c water
    6 inch strip kombu
    1 onion, diced
    1/8 t sea salt
    1 carrot, thinly sliced
    2-3 T minced parsley
    2 T barley, red, or brown rice miso mixed w/3 T sweet or mellow miso

cut the corn kernels from the cobs and set them aside. place the cobs, water, and kombu in a 4 quart pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. reduce the heat to medium-low and gently simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. remove the kombu and reserve for another use. continue simmering the cobs 5 minutes more, then remove and discard.
    add the onion and salt, simmer for 10 minutes, then add the carrot and corn kernels. continue to simmer another 10 minutes. stir in the parsley during the last minute of cooking. remove from the heat.
    dissolve the miso in some of the broth and add it to the soup. allow to steep a minute before serving.

before modern transportation enabled us to eat produce from all over the world year-round, winter soups usually featured easy to store root vegetables. in this typical japanese winter soup, wakame replaced fresh greens.

6 c stock
    1/2 c julienned daikon radish
    1/2 c julienned carrot
    6 inch piece wakame
    1/4 c red, brown rice, or barley miso

place the stock, daikon, and carrot in a 4 quart pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender.
    as the ingredients simmer, soak the wakame in cold or tepid water for 10 to 15 mnutes. cut away any tough ribs, and slice the fronds into 1 inch pieces.
    add the wakame to the pot, simmer 1 to 2 minutes, then remove from the heat.

chunky miso soup

1 T barley
    4 c distilled water or vegetable stock
    1 1/3 t toasted sesame oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    2 medium stalks celery, chopped
    6 medium mushrooms, sliced
    2 medium shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
    1/4 medium cabbage, shredded
    2 thin slices fresh ginger, peeled
    6 to 8 green or wax beans
    1/4 c kidney beans, cooked
    4 T red barley miso paste
    8 oz extra-firm tofu
    1 scallion, sliced

combine barley and water or broth in large pot, bring to a boil, and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
    in a separate pan, add sesame oil, saute onion and celery over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. add mushrooms and cabbage and saute 2-3 minutes more.
    add saute, ginger, and green beans to barley broth and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
    when ready to serve remove 1 cup of broth from pot and stir into miso paste until smooth. return broth and miso paste to the pot, remove from heat and stir gently. do not cook miso! cooking miso can destroy its beneficial properties. add tofu and let stand for 2-3 minutes.
    stir once before serving in soup bowls. garnish with scallion slices.

Seaside

I love your miso thread, GoodbyeGirl. Miso is delicious! Thanks for all these great recipes.

Quote rantipole
    It's salty (very salty) and savory. You generally use a little bit of the paste to make soups, sauces, and flavorings. The next time you go out to eat at a Japanese resturant or such, order a cup of miso soup. That will give you an idea of the flavor. Just make sure there is no fish in it, as some Japanese resturants do put fish in it.

Cheers,
    rant
    yes. the japanese style is to make the broth out of seaweed and bonito fish flakes, and they add the miso to this along with some other vegetables and tofu cubes. i think it's best to buy the little instant soup packets at the grocery store if you want to try it out. just read the ingredients on the back and look out for the word bonito.

this sauce goes well over light pasta such as artichoke ribbons or fettuccine. since it has universal appeal it is perfect of guests who are not familiar with natural foods.

sauce bourguignon

2 c pearl onions, unpeeled
    1 1/2 T olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, finely minced
    10-12 button muxhrooms, sliced
    pinch sea salt
    3 T arrowroot
    1 c dry red wine mixed with 3/4 c water
    2 T red, brown rice, or barley miso mixed with 2 T water
    1/2 bay leaf
    1/4 t dried thyme
    pinch white or black pepper
    minced parsley for garnish

bring 4 cups of water to boil in a 3 quart saucepan. drop in the onions, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 10 minutes. drain the water from the pan.
    cover the onins with cold water, and let sit a few minutes or until cool enough to handle. slice the tips off hte root ends, and pinch to squeeze out the onins. set aside.
    cover the onions with cold water and let sit a few minuts or until cool enough to handle. slice the tips off the root ends, and pinch to squeeze out the onions. set aside.
    in a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat. add the garlic, mushrooms, and salt, and saute for 5 minutes or until the muchrooms are soft. sprinkle with arrowroot, and toss to evenly coat. while stirring briefly, add the wine.
    add the cooked onions to the mixture along wiht the miso, bay leaf, thyme, and pepper. continue to stir frequently for 10 minutes, or until the sauce begins to thicken somewhat.
    reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, loosely covered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the sauce is smooth and thick. stir occasionally.
    remove and discard the bay leaf, and sprinkle the sauce with parsley before using.
    variation:
    for seitan bourguignon simply add 1 1/2 cups sliced seitan to the sauteing mushrooms. lightly brown the seitan before adding the arrowroot.

this sauce is great over noodles or vegetables. if you decide to vary the recipe by using walnuts instead of pecans add 1 or 2 teaspoons of mirin or rice syrup to counteract the bitterness.

pecan sauce

2 t olive oil
    1 small onion, diced
    1-2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 c pecans
    1 c water or mild vegetable stock (carrot stock is good)
    3 T sweet or mellow miso
    1 t lemon juice

in a small skillet heat the oil over medium-low heat. add the onion and garlic and stir to coat with the oil. reduce hte heat to low and cover. stirring occasionally saute for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the onions have caramelized to a golden brown color. if necessary add 1 or 2 teaspoons of water to prevent burning.
    while the onions cook roast the pecans in an unoiled skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly for 5 to 10 minutes, or until crisp and fragrant.
    place all of the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth. use immediately.

dairy-free pesto

1/4 c pine nuts or walnuts
    1 c tightly packed fresh basil leaves
    1/4 c fresh parsley
    2 T plus 1 t sweet or mellow miso
    2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    1/2 c olive oil

in a small, unoiled skillet, toast the pine nuts over medium heat, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes, or until they begin to brown slightly. be careful not to burn.
    place the nuts, along with the basil, parsley, miso, garlic, and half the oil in a blender or food processor. puree the mixture while slowly adding more oil through the top of the machine until the desired consistency is reached. use immediately.

lemon-tahini sauce

6 T water
    3 T tahini
    2 T sweet or mellow miso
    1 T lemon juice

combine all of the ingredients in a 1 quart saucepan and mix well.
    place the pan over medium-low heat and slowly bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. simmer for 1 minute or until thick. use immediately.

tropical miso sauce

3 T sweet or mellow miso
    5 T fresh squeezed orange juice
    2t tahini
    1 T chopped chives or slivered scallion

combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
    use immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

mellow miso-ginger sauce

1/3 c water
    1/4 c sweet or mellow miso
    3 T tahini
    2 T brown rice vinegar or lemon juice
    1 T mirin
    2 t ginger juice
    1 clove garlic, minced
    pinch dried tarragon or basil

combine all ingredients ina 1 quart saucepan and mix well
    place the pan over medium-low heat and slowly bring to a simmer, stirring frequently until the mixture thickens. use immediately.

mochi soup

6 blocks mochi (2x2 1/2 inches each)
    1 medium burdock root
    1 large carrot
    8 c kombu stock
    1/2 t sea salt
    8-10 button mushrooms, sliced
    1 T mirin
    3 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
    4 chinese cabbage leaves, coarsely chopped
    1/3 c sweet or mellow miso

cut the mochi into bite-sized cubes, place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet, and bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes, or until slightly brown and puffy. (check frequently to avoid overcooking) set aside.
    cut the burdock into thin, 2 inch long strips, and immediately place in cold water to prevent discoloration. also cut the carrot into thin, 2 inch long strips and set aside.
    drain the burdock and place in a 4 quart pot along with the stock, and bring to a boil. add the salt, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer 10 to 15 minutes. add the carrot and mushrooms and continue to simmer another 10 minutes. stir in the mirin, scallions, and cabbage, and cook 5 minutes more.
    when the cabbage is just tender, add the mochi to the soup. simmer for 1 minute only, then remove from heat.

for centuries adzuki beans have been used as a folk remedy in the Far East for kidney problems. to help restore and maintain proper blood sugar balance traditional madicine recommends eating adzuki beans with cooked pumplin or squash.

adzuki bean soup

1 c adzuki beans
    5 c water
    1 onion, diced
    1/2 bay leaf
    pinch rosemary
    1 rib celery, sliced
    1 1/2 c diced carrots, or winter squash
    1/2 t sea salt
    1/2 c minced parsley

rinse the beans and place in a pressure cooker along with the water, onion, bay leaf, and rosemary. bring to pressure, then lower the heat and cook for 50 minutes, or until the beans are tender. (you can also prepare the soaked beans in a 6 quart pot. increase the water to 12 cups, and the cooking time to 2 hours, or until the beans are tender. add more water as necessary.) reduce the pressure (or heat) and add the celery, carrots, and salt. if necessary, add a little more water. simmer for 20 minutes.
    stir the miso into the pot along with half the parsley, and simmer for 2 minutes more. remove and discard the bay leaf. garnish with the remaining parsley before serving.

miso replaces the parmesan cheese in this tomatoless variation of the traditional italian classic.

pasta e fagioli

1 c pinto or navy beans
    4 inch piece kombu
    4 1/2 c water
    2 t olive oil
    1 onion, thinly sliced
    1 large carrot, chopped
    1 rib celery, thinly sliced
    1/2 c uncooked elbow macaroni
    1/2 t sea salt
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 t oregano
    pinch black pepper

soak the beans in enough water to cover for 3 hours or overnight. discard the soaking water and transfer the beans to a pressure cooker along with the kombu and water. boil uncovered for 10 minutes, and skim off any foam that rises to the surface. cover and bring to pressure, then lower the heat and cook for 1 hour, or until the beans are tender. (you can also prepare the soaked beans in a 6 quart pot. increase the water to 12 cups, and the cooking time to 2 hours, or until the beans are tender. add more water as necessary.) heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. add the garlic and onion and sauté 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent. add the carrot and celery, and sauté another 2 minutes. reduce the heat to low, cover, and continue to cook for 10 minutes. if necessary, add a little water to prevent scorching. remove from the heat and uncover.
    parboil the pasta in lightly salted water for about 5 minutes, or until it just begins to soften (do not cook completely). drain immediately and rinse under cold running water until cool. drain again and set aside.
    add the salt, bay leaf, oregano, pepper, and sautéed vegetables to the cooked beans. simmer for 15 minutes, add the pasta, and simmer 5 minutes more. remove from the heat.
    stir the miso into the pot, cover, and let sit a minute. remove and discard the bay leaf. serve hot.

sweet miso is a great complement to the flavor of beans. you can add 2T to 1/4c of miso mixed with an equal amount of water to your favorite lentil or split pea soup recipe to give it a more complex flavor.

navy bean soup

2 c navy beans
    3 inch piece kombu
    10 c water
    1 t vegetable oil
    1 large onion, diced
    2 carrots, diced
    1 1/4 t sea salt
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 t summer savory
    1/4 t dried thyme
    1/4 c mellow barley or mellow white miso mixed with 1/4c water
    minced parsley for garnish

soak the beans in enough water to cover for 3 hours or overnight. discard the soaking water and transfer the beans to a pressure cooker along with the kombu and water. boil uncovered for 10 minutes, and skim off any foam that rises to the surface. cover and bring to pressure, then lower the heat and cook for 1 hour, or until the beans are tender. (you can also prepare the soaked beans in a 6 quart pot. increase the water to 12 cups, and the cooking time to 2 hours, or until the beans are tender. add more water as necessary.)
    heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. add the onion and sauté 2 to 3 minutes, or until soft and translucent. add the carrots and celery, and sauté another 2 minutes. reduce the heat to low, cover, and continue to cook for 10 minutes. if necessary, add a little water to prevent scorching. remove from the heat and uncover.
    add the salt, bay leaf, savory, thyme, and sautéed vegetables to the cooked beans, and simmer for 20 minutes. remove from the heat.
    stir the miso into the soup, cover, and let sit a minute. remove and discard the bay leaf. garnish with parsley before serving.

this sauce is great on just about everything, broccoli, seitan, tofu, noodles....

savory brown sauce

2 1/4 c water
    1-2 dried shiitakes
    2-3 whole cloves
    1 small onion
    2 T olive oil
    2 shallots, minced
    5-6 button mushrooms, or 3 fresh shiitakes, sliced
    pinch sea salt
    pinch black pepper
    1 T dry white wine or mirin
    1/4 t sea salt
    2 t red, brown rice, or barley miso mixed with 2 t water
    1 scant T crushed kuzu

to prepare the stock place the dried shiitake in a 2 quart saucepan, add the water, and let soak for at least 20 minutes.
    press the cloves into the onion and add it to the pot. simmer gently, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced to 1 1/4 cups. turn off the heat and remove the shiitake and onion, reserving them for another use.
    in a medium-sized skillet heat the oil over medium-low heat. add the shallots, fresh mushrooms, and pinch of salt and pepper. saute about 5 minutes or until the muhrooms are soft.
    add the stock to the skillet, along with the wine, salt, and miso. gently simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes.
    thoroughly dissolve the kuzu in 1 tablespoon cold water, and add it to the pan while stirring briskly. continue stirring for a minute, or until the sauce returns to a simmer and thickens. gently simmer 1 minute more. serve hot.

this gravy is perfect over mashed potatoes. it is also delicious over grains, especially bulghur and millet.

“comfort” gravy

1 1/2 T olive oil
    1 small onion, diced
    3 T unbleached white flour
    3 T nutritional yeast
    1 1/2 c water
    3 T sweet or mellow miso mixed with 3 T water
    2 t minced fresh basil, or 1/4 t dried
    2 T chopped parsley
    1 T white wine or mirin

in a medium sized skillet heat the oil over medium heat. add the onion and garlic and soute for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent.
    reduce the heat to low. add the flour and nutritional yeast, stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes.
    slowly add the water while stirring briskly. increase the heat to medium and continue ot stir frequently for about 10 minutes, or until the gravy begins to simmer and thicken.
    reduce heat to meduim-low and add the miso, basil, parsley, and wine. stirring occasionally, simmer gently, uncovered, for 15 minutes, or until the gravy is thick and smooth. if gravy is too thick add a little more water; if too thin, cook it down to the desiredc consistency. use immediately.

for an especially flavorful result try using exotic varieties of mushrooms in this recipe such as chanterelles, fresh shiitakes, oyster, or morel mushrooms.

herbed mushroom gravy

1 1/2 T olive oil
    1 small onion, diced
    6 mushroom caps, sliced
    pinch sea salt
    pinch black pepper
    3 T whole wheat pastry flour
    1 2/3 c vegetable stock
    1/4 t sea salt
    2 t barley, brown rice, or redc miso mixed wit 2 t water
    2 t fresh thyme, or 1/2 t dried
    1 T white wine or mirin
    1 T chipped parsley

in a medium-sized skillet heat the oil over medium heat. add the onion and garlic and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent.
    add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt and pepper and continue to saute for 2 to 3 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
    reduce the heat to low and sprinkle the flour over the vegetables, stirring constantly for 2 to 3 minutes.
    slowly add the stock while stirring briskly. increase the heat to medium and continue to stir frequently for about 10 minutes, or until the gravy begins to simmer and thicken. add the rest of the salt, the miso, thyme, and wine.
    stirring occasionally gently simmer uncovered over medium-los heat for 15 minutes, or until the gravy is thick and smooth. add the parsley during the last minute of cooking. use immediately.

creamy parsley sauce

1 c rice milk or almond milk
    3/4 c coarsely chopped fresh parsley (loosely packed)
    1/4 c coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
    2 T sweet or mellow miso
    2 T tahini
    about 1/2 c vegetable stock
    1 1/2 T olive oil
    1-2 shallots, minced
    1/2 small onion, minced
    2 T arrowroot
    1/4 t sea salt
    pinch white or black pepper
    1 T mirin
    1 T lemon juice
    1/8 t dried basil
    1 T chopped parsley for garnish

blend the rice milk, parsley, basil, miso, and tahini until smooth. pour into a measuring cup, and add enough vegetable stock to equal 2 cups.
    in a medium-sized skillet heat the oil over medium-low heat. add the shallots and onion and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, or until soft and translucent. sprinkle with arrowroot, toss to evenly coat, and continue to saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
    slowly add the reserved liquid, stirring constantly, until the sauce begins to thicken. add the salt, pepper, and mirin, and gently simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
    stir the lemon juice and dried basil, and cook 1 minute more. garnish with chopped parsley before using.

fat free shiitake sauce

2 c kombu-shiitake stock
    1/4 t sea salt
    1/2 bay leaf
    2 fresh shiitake caps, thinly sliced
    1-2 scallions, thinly sliced, or 1-2 shallots, minced
    1 1/2 T red or barley miso mixed with 2 T water
    2 t mirin
    3 T crushed kuzu

place the stock and salt in a 2 quart saucepan and simmer over medium heat. add the bay leaf, shiitake, and scallions, and continue to simmer for 5 minutes. stir in the miso and mirin, simmer 2 minutes more, and remove from the heat.
    dissolve the kuzu in 3 T cold water and slowly add it to the sauce while stirring briskly. bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes or until the sauce is thick.
    remove and discard the bay leaf before using.

this sauce is good to use over seitan steaks or cutlets

mediterranean sweet pepper & onion sauce

1 T olive oil
    1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced into half moons (about 1 cup)
    1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
    2 medium red or green bell peppers, quartered and cut into 1/4 inch strips
    1/2 t sea salt
    1/8 t white or black pepper
    2 T whole wheat pastry flour or 1 1/2 T arrowroot
    1 1/2 c vegetable stock
    2 T tomato puree
    2 t sweet or mellow white miso mixed with 2 t water
    1 small bay leaf

heat the oil in a medium-sized skillet, and saute the onin and garlic over medium-low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
    add the bell peppers, salt, and pepper, and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
    add the flour and saute 2 minutes more.
    slowly add the stock while stirring briskly. continue stirring until the sauce thickens.
    add the puree, miso, and bay leaf, and simmer gently with the lid ajar for 20 to 25 minutes.
    remove and discard the bay leaf, adjust the seasonings, and serve.
    variation:
    when using this sauce over polenta or grain dishes, saute some seitan strips or cubes along with the bell peppers.

curry sauce

1 T olive or sesame oil
    1 small onion, minced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 t sea salt
    1 T curry powder
    1 1/2 t cumin
    3 c vegetable stock
    1 bay leaf, broken in half
    1 T sweet or mellow miso
    1 T mirin
    3 T crushed kuzu

in a medium-sized skillet het the oil over medium-low heat. add the onion and garlic and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent.
    add the celery and continue to saute another 2 or 3 minutes or until it begins to soften. then add the salt, curry, and cumin and saute 1 minute more.
    stir in the stock and bay leaf, increase the heat to medium, and bring to a gentle simmer. combine the miso and mirin, add it to the sauce, and continue to simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, or until the celery is tender.
    thoroughly dissolve the kuzu in 3 tablespoons cold water and add it to the sauce while stirring briskly. continue stirring for 1 or 2 minutes, or until the sauce returns to a simmer and thickens. gently simmer 1 minute more.
    remove and discard the bay leaf before using.

creamy bechamel sauce

2 T olive or sesame oil
    2 shallots, minced, or 2 T minced onion
    4 T whole wheat pastry flour
    1 1/2 c plain rice milk or almond milk
    1/2 c water
    1 scant T sweet or mellow white miso
    1 T mirin
    1/2 t sea salt
    1/8 c whole parsley leaves
    1/8 t white pepper
    pinch ground nutmeg
    2 t chopped fresh basil or thyme, or 1/4 t dried

in a 2 quart saucepan heat the oil over medium-low heat. add teh shallots and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, or until soft and translucent. stirring constantly, add the flour and continue to saute for 3 minutes.
    combine the rice milk and water. slowly add it to the pan while whisking. increase the heat to medium, stirring frequently until the mixtrue begins to thicken.
    combine the miso and mirin, and add it to the sauce along with the salt, parsley, and pepper. gently simmer for 20 minutes. add nutmeg and basil, and simmer 1 to 2 minutes more.
    strain the sauce through a fine sieve. if too thick add a little more water or reheat before serving.

Where does everyone in the UK get their miso from, I searched for it to put in a soup but couldnt find it!
    (5/05/06)

Local health food shops are the places to go.

Holland & Barrett might even sell it, although I've never bought mine from there.
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

VeganJohn

There is a health food shop near to me that sells it, but I have also seen it in some supermarkets.

I think it was 'brown rice' miso that was being sold in the health food store. Never really been a fan of the stuff myself.

Isn't some 'fishy'?

Ill have another look in Holland & Barretts I think, I didnt see it in the one in my town, but maybe theres a bigger one nearer me. I should find myself a good health store, ive never seen one in my town thought. I guess no ones healthy here lol!
    (5/05/06)