Thread: Need pictures for my vegan digital story

justagirl8

Default Need pictures for my vegan digital story

Hi, not sure where to put this, but recently I made something called a digital story at a workshop. If you don't know what digital stories are (like me before I made one lol) here is a site with lots of examples of them http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/digitalstorytelling/. Mine was about being vegan and trying to answer the questions I get asked all the time.
    I talked briefly about milk being unnatural for humans, male dairy calves being taken away from their mothers and used for veal, de-beaking of hens, male chicks born to egg laying hens being killed, about getting enough protein and calcium as a vegan, and what foods vegans eat.
    The thing is, I need images to go along with what I've recorded, but they aren't allowed to have copyrights. I've taken some photos of all the vegan products I have in my cupboards, lots of fruit and veg, etc. and have been taking photos of my meals every evening, but I don't know what to do about pictures of animals. I've tried looking on sites that provide copyright free pictures but the only animal pictures I can find are stuff like cows in big open fields or on idyllic farms. Does anyone know if there are any suitable pictures I can use that have no copyright? Also, any pictures of of your yummy vegan meals you have taken and wouldn't mind me using would be great as I am not the greatest cook!
    I will be getting it back on CD when it is complete so I can show the finished product here if anyone's interested, and the guy that ran the workshop said some of them might get broadcast on BBC Wales, so fingers crossed

Default Re: Need pictures for my vegan digital story

Hi Justagirl8, welcome to the forum.

guy that ran the workshop said some of them might get broadcast on BBC Wales, so fingers crossed
    Sounds interesting. I'm sure it will be very effective. Good luck.

Quote justagirl8 View Post
    but I don't know what to do about pictures of animals. I've tried looking on sites that provide copyright free pictures but the only animal pictures I can find are stuff like cows in big open fields or on idyllic farms. Does anyone know if there are any suitable pictures I can use that have no copyright?
    Almost all charitable Animal rights organisations have copyrighted photos and materials. But they are quite flexible. You just have to identify the images you want to borrow for your work, then you can e-mail them asking their permission to download use it. They will be happy to grant you the permission. According to copyright and referencing laws you are supposed to acknowledge any external material you might have used. I am sure your project would allow you to do so.

You can try mailing Viva, Animal Aid etc. They might even allow you to rip certain sections of video material to produce images.

I remember a few years ago, I was working on an animal rights website, but due to lack of time and funds, the project did not go ahead. I had to contact a few animal rights groups asking them if I could use their images. They allowed me to do so.

Good luck.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

I can't help with the animal pics, but I have a couple of nice (large!!) blueberry pancakes pics handy.

pancakes

pancakes with maple syrup being poured on

You're welcome to use any of the pics on my website, but they're all small ones, of course.

I was going to suggest the same as Kiran. If it does get aired on BBC Wales tell us, and I will start watching the news!!

justagirl8

Thanks everyone, I will start looking through some animal rights websites and email for permission for any suitable pictures I find. So hopefully that should solve that one.
    And thank you for the permission to use your photos Cherry. The pancakes look so yummy and it's great because I don't make many desserts so all of my own photos are of main courses. I'm sure I've used your website for recipes before, and looking through it now has made me want to try some more of them!

Good sperm

You can use some of mine, as long as you ain't making any money off them

Vegan Food here