Thread: Heart pain from nowhere

Exclamation Heart pain from nowhere

Hello, I was browsing the net looking for a place to ask someone about the pain I've felt today and stepped by on this forum.
    It started like this: I was trying to convince many of my friends how vegan lifestyle is good not only for their helth, but also for our enviroment and all other living creatures on the Earth. I also told them about my health, that I hadn't had any problems since I've stopped eating all animal products, and that I'll probbably live longer than all of them. But suddenly after several hours, when I came home, I felt a pain inside my chest. It still hasn't stopped, and I'm really afraid, if it could be some heart desease or something with my lungs, or I don't know what else.
    Also I played basketball yesterday and ran a lot, so that might be the reason but I'm not very sure, because I suppose it would hurt me right when I woke up, and not after many hours.
    The food I eat, doesn't include any junk food, only vegetables, seeds and fruits. That's the reson why I'm concerned.
    Has anyone had the similar problem as I do? Or does anyone know what could this be? What should I do to stop the pain?

Good sperm

Default Re: Heart pain from nowhere

The food I eat, doesn't include any junk food, only vegetables, seeds and fruits. That's the reson why I'm concerned.
    If this is what you eat, it's not your current diet. It could be exercise, it could be a disease not caused by diet, or it could be your old diet (if you used to be omni) coming back to bite you in the ass.

If it continues, go to a doctor.

Hi llvnodr, based on what you describe, I wouldn't rely too much on general advice from a forum, a situation like this requires a personal diagnosis. Since you have the pain you describe, and are 'really afraid', I would advice you to contact a doctor as soon as possible. I don't know if what you experience is related to diet, and even if we knew it were, we don't know if your problems would be a result of your 1+ year as a vegan or of the what you ate all those years before you started to eat vegan. You may eat a diet that's generally healthy, but still be low in some essential nutrients, which of course may happen for both vegans and non-vegans.

Since your situation is kind of acute, changing diet or adding some nutrients may not be what you need; acute health problems normally need acute help. There are many nutrients associated with heart problems, and according to various sources, most people (vegans or not) are deficient in Omega-3. You could be one of them - but in an acute situation, just taking some Omega-3 may not be enough. Folate and B12 is also associated with heart problems, and while non-vegans often are low in folate (many are low in B12 as well), vegans often have low levels of B12. Due to a lot of reasons, 'vegetables, seeds and fruits' may not always be enough, and vegans may be nutrient deficient just like non-vegans.

If you contact a doctor, it may be a good idea to ask for a B12/MMA/homocysteine test. Good luck in finding out what's causing your problems!
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Quote Korn View Post
    Hi llvnodr, based on what you describe, I wouldn't rely too much on general advice from a forum, a situation like this requires a personal diagnosis. Since you have the pain you describe, and are 'really afraid', I would advice you to contact a doctor as soon as possible. I don't know if what you experience is related to diet, and even if we knew it were, we don't know if your problems would be a result of your 1+ year as a vegan or of the what you ate all those years before you started to eat vegan. You may eat a diet that's generally healthy, but still be low in some essential nutrients, which of course may happen for both vegans and non-vegans.

Since your situation is kind of acute, changing diet or adding some nutrients may not be what you need; acute health problems normally need acute help. There are many nutrients associated with heart problems, and according to various sources, most people (vegans or not) are deficient in Omega-3. You could be one of them - but in an acute situation, just taking some Omega-3 may not be enough. Folate and B12 is also associated with heart problems, and while non-vegans often are low in folate (many are low in B12 as well), vegans often have low levels of B12. Due to a lot of reasons, 'vegetables, seeds and fruits' may not always be enough, and vegans may be nutrient deficient just like non-vegans.

If you contact a doctor, it may be a good idea to ask for a B12/MMA/homocysteine test. Good luck in finding out what's causing your problems!
    Thanks for a quick reply. I haven't expected it so soon.
    Today I feel much better, but the pain still hasn't stopped completly. I'm not used to go to ask doctors for anything, because the last time I visited a doctor was 2,5 years ago, when I started with vegetarian diet. I had a headache, and all of the doctors I visited, said it's because of it, like it's important to eat meat and all animal products to stay healthy. They also said it would have been deadly dangerous to stop eating all animal products. It made me angry, so I lived with some problems, untill I started with the vegan lifestyle. Since than I haven't had any problems with my health, until yesterday. So going to doctor or asking for advice isn't an option. I'll wait for a day or two, to see if it stops completely. If not than I'll see what would be next to do. Right now, I believe it's because I overloaded my body with many exercises: I ran more then ever before in my life, and did about 1000 push-ups (my limit was 600 per day).
    I haven't used any suplements or fortified food with vitamin B12, believing it's not so important because I felt perfect (you said all about it). I guess I'll have to include it in my diet as soon as possible if the pain continues.
    Once again thanks for the advice! I'll inform you about my helth condition in a few days.

Korns advice is good, it would be the best idea see a doctor. If they tell you you have to eat meat then don't tell them that you're vegan or say that you eat meat now.
    It could be that you've over exercised and put a strain on your heart or it could be a strained muscle, at the very least you need to rest as much as you can, but it may be that the exercise is just showing up that you have a problem and heart problems are never best left alone.
    Anyone who eats oils and fats of any kind can still be harming the heart and there are a host of diseases that can damage the heart, so vegans aren't immune to heart problems. Korns advice about vitamins and minerals is good as well, check that you're getting enough of everything.
    Good luck and take care

Hi, you said you were playing basketball, so it might just be you have strained a muscle in your chest. Plus, now you are anxious about it so that makes it worse. Of course don't take my word for it, please see a doctor if you are concerned. I think if it was anything to do with your heart you would know by now, the pain would be getting worse.............at least that was what I was told a few years ago when I had chest pains.
    I hope you feel better really soon!

Hi there! About your concerns about seeing a doctor because he/she might say "start eating meat..." are well-grounded as I've had my share. However, if you specify that not eating meat is the basis and grounds for your own spiritual and/or religious well-being then most (all should, but some don't) have to respect that due to legal parameters. For example, some religions and belief systems do not allow for blood transfusions (from other persons or from their own blood) and doctors MUST NOT do anything that upsets their beliefs.
    Hope this helps, and if your pain does go away it would still be best if you sought a doctor's advice so you know why and how to avoid it happening again. It may indicate a long-term problem.
    "If you are what you eat, does that make you dead meat?"

Tha heart pain has dissapeared, and I'm now completely sure it's because of the exercizes I made. Next time I'll be careful, and won't make the same mistake.
    Thank you all for the advices and the time spent on my case.

hi llvnodr, glad to see the pain went away. in the future, though, if a doc ever tells you you need meat to be healthy in some way, ask them to give you a recent study pointing this out. (they can't, because there isn't one.) if they refuse or point to 'common sense' then get a new doc.

a doc who doesn't keep up with research is useless because they're not updating outdated info. besides, it is a doc that has to work with what the patient wants (within reason) and not vice versa. you as the patient hold the power to choose. hope this helps!

you wanna eat more vegs than fruit, less grain, less soy, less oils (and only oils should be extra virgin olive oil cold and virgin/extra virgin coconut oil heated).
    talk to a naturopathic doctor instead of a conventional doctor. they are more open-minded to alternative diets, and you may get something more insightful than "eat meat" or a prescription for a drug you don't need. where is the pain exactly? your heart is more to the bottom centre of your chest than the top. it may just be chest pain. i've made that mistake.

good luck i hope you're feeling better.

Glad to hear you are feeling better llvnodr! That's happened to me before, straining a muscle in my chest and having pain there for a few days so that's why I was suggesting that as a possibility. Of course you should never take a diagnosis given here as absolute you should see a doctor if you are worried about any symptons.
    Also, do not let a doctor away with saying 'we need meat' they've tried that with me through the years. When I point out how generally healthy I am and how my blood tests are always perfectly normal they are usually stuck for words!