Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do we need fridges?

Question Do we need fridges?

This occurred to me the other day. Since going vegan nothing that i consume needs to go in the fridge or freezer. Sure it's nice to have a cold beer and to keep things fresher for a bit longer but with no milk or cheese etc. any more, why would i need a fridge? And they must use a lot of energy and therefore money being on all day, every day. When i eventually get a place of my own i really don't think i'll be shelling out for a fridge/freezer.

Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone living a fridge free life?

Default Re: Do we need fridges?

Nothing you buy needs to go in a fridge?

Personally, I keep loads in the fridge. My vegan margarine, opened soy milks/rice milks, vegetables, leftovers, veggie burgers, tofu, etc. And my freezer contains left overs, frozen pizzas I made, bread, vegan ice cream...
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Yeah it all depends on what you eat and how you structure your eating. It is useful having a fridge but from an environmental and economic point of view i'm not sure usefulness is enough of a reason to have one, for me anyway.

Do we need a fridge?
    Yes.

I'd be lost without my fridge. I keep my soya milk, most of my veggies, soya cheese, fruit, dairy free margerine and my hummus in there, to name a few.
    But yeah if you don't really use one, it doesn't seem worthwhile hanging onto one for the sake of it.

Stezzy - why do you have dairy?

Myself - I'd loose soymilk, salad ingredients (I put them together out of different fruits + veggies), frozen cooking vegetables, tatortots (also frozen), ice for my lemonade , etc. I can only go to the store once a week, and some things do go bad rather quickly.

Went along time without a fridge, if you don't use frozen food/ice you can live without one, veg just goes off quicker but you just have to eat stuff before it wastes.

i used to store my foods in the little room between my windows. in copenhagen, old apartments have double-layered windows, with about 15 centimetres between, and you can open them seperately, and it was always cool in there, so i used it as a storing room for my foods for quite a while. that wasn't really cause we didn't have a fridge, but the rest of the people there, didn't clean, so i didn't feel like leaving my nice,fresh foods in a fridge with meaty fluids. eeew. oh yeah, and it was more economical, as the other people always ate my nice, vegan , organic foods, but never bothered to buy anything themselves. <-- a bit off topic, but a good story!

Quote Bic View Post
    Stezzy - why do you have dairy?
    They don't have dairy.

They said dairy free margarine.

My mum sometimes has thoughts of living in a little cottage in the woods with no electricity, or in a gypsy caravan, or somewhere else that's remote and 'simple'. She wouldn't like it really and she likes hot baths far too much, but we've had a few conversations about various modern inventions and their merits/problems, including the fridge.

She said that her grandmother coped without one, so why couldn't she!?
    Good point really. If you have a cold cupboard for storing veg and soya milk and things in and are careful to buy/dig up only what you need, then I expect you could cope without a fridge. If you're partial to swedish glace though like me, then too much of a sacrifice

I had to go without a fridge for a month when we were between housemates...it was horrible, no ice-cream, we couldn't keep leftovers, no cold drinks and ice blocks (it was summer) and any recipes that required ingredients to be chilled couldn't be done. All your vegies go bad earlier as well. I think it depends though how important ice-cream is to your diet. It can be done, but it's not pleasant and it scars you for life. We (me and housemate) were filling in a survey sometime after that experience and the question was 'what is the most important kitchen item?' We both wrote fridge.
    'To repeat what others have said requires education, to challenge it requires brains.'

If you had a cool pantry it might be possible to live well without a fridge. You'd have to kiss goodbye to some vegan staples: soya, margarine etc. It would make life a lot more difficult. You'd have to buy food as you need it, and store up on pulses. Perhaps you could rely more on foods which can be preserved without refrigeration, such as pickles. That wouldn't be much fun though!

Yogini

I'd lose a lot of produce without cool storage to extend it's life. It's just me here - a head of lettuce is lucky if it gets all eaten up before wilting beyond recognizability. Without the fridge it would certainly go to waste. That's not cool.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    They don't have dairy.

They said dairy free margarine.
    I must be going blind. I just misread a question a friend sent me on chat too.

Yes, you could survive without a fridge but only really if you had a larder or similar. Also you would probably have to shop more frequently. It wouldn't be so easy in the summer though
    It really all depends on what sort of foods you consume.
    here comes the sun

Quote Ginger View Post
    It really all depends on what sort of foods you consume.
    Quite true.
    If you lived on fresh veggies/fruit/legumes exclusively, shopped for them every day at the market, the only refine product you ate was bread...in short, lived like someone 200 years ago..it shouldn't be a problem.
    From an ecological and energy-saving point of view, it might be the best option, but then again, who has the time/means to live like that in this day and age?
    Piggy

We don't really need a fridge to be honest because we only have a couple of items in it as a rule - we can't quite make that fridge free step.
    We don't tend to keep food hanging about for long.
    Silent but deadly :p

Why are people talking about ice cream? That goes in the freezer not the fridge
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I think that a freezer is a fridge by extension. If you don't need a fridge, why do you need a freezer?

my flatmates practically live off ready made frozen food, some of it cooked and then frozen by their moms. they hardly ever have anything fresh. i think if they didn't use milk, they wouldn't need a fridge
    Piggy

you can have the need for freezing stuff, but not for cooling.. freezing gives food a much longer life, than cooling. so i think that a feezer would be handy, evenwithout cooling needs. also,if you live at a farm and can go out every day and find fresh produce, you don't need to storeit in the fridge. but it is quite nice, to be able to freeze the leftovers, when the season is over! that said, i love my fridge, and it's always full. am i the only one here, who has ten different open jars of jam, olives, flaxseed oil, margarine, pickled food, mayonnaise, spreads, mustard, sushi gari and so on? i think i would be able to live without my fridge, but it would be freaking boring! and i like my soymilk cold!

Quote Smoothie View Post
    am i the only one here, who has ten different open jars of jam, olives, flaxseed oil, margarine, pickled food, mayonnaise, spreads, mustard, sushi gari and so on? i think i would be able to live without my fridge, but it would be freaking boring! and i like my soymilk cold!
    Jam, mustard and anything pickled shouldn't need refrigerating, I doubt flaxseed oil does either and suspect that vegan mayonnaise and margarine would probably be ok. Olives can be kept in brine.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

If they don't need to be in the fridge, why is there REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING all over the labels? Flaxseed oil needs to refrigerated to prevent it from going rancid (which happens easily). Margarine would melt into oil on the countertop (at least in my house).

if you eat whole foods like vegetables, many don't need to be refrigerated, but it keeps them from going bad quicker.
    if you consume, in my opinion gross things, like soymilk, soycheeses and all other extremely processed soy foods, yes, by all means refrigerate them. there's absolutely no natural live enzymes protecting it from parishing in a day, unlike with raw fruits and veggies, which will last longer than a pasteurized non-dairy milk and cheese.

I worked on a guest ranch in Calgary once, and one of the wranglers told me how years ago, the people there would dig a deep hole every winter, fill it with snow and board it up (he described in more detail but I forget), and it managed to stay cold all summer! So it was great for a refrigerator. I wonder what they did in warm climates though?
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

yes it should.. it will get really bacteria filled by room temp. i was in a hygiene class (i work in a kitchen), and the teacher told us, that it should be kept in the fridge, cause of the possibility, that it would catch some dangerous bacterias, and cause food poisoning.

Quote Risker View Post
    Jam, mustard and anything pickled shouldn't need refrigerating, I doubt flaxseed oil does either and suspect that vegan mayonnaise and margarine would probably be ok. Olives can be kept in brine.
    organic jams etc. need refrigerating because they go mouldy very quickly. unless you have a very cold cupboard in your house vegan margarine will quickly melt and mayonnaise will go rancid - i know because when my fridge broke a whole load of food was ruined in less than 24 hours.

if you can live without a fridge go ahead, but i personally wouldn't want to. organic fruit and veg spoils too quickly out of the fridge and i don't have time to buy it fresh every day, as well as the fact that i like a few processed foods like margarine, yoghurt and soya milk which won't keep long unless refrigerated.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Smoothie View Post
    yes it should.. it will get really bacteria filled by room temp. i was in a hygiene class (i work in a kitchen), and the teacher told us, that it should be kept in the fridge, cause of the possibility, that it would catch some dangerous bacterias, and cause food poisoning.
    It drove me nuts that at a burger place I used to work at, the boss left out the mustard and hot sauce 24/7!!! But she always put the ketchup and coffee creamers in the fridge overnight - after they had been out on the tables from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

I do not have the time nor the energy to shop for food on a daily basis, so for me, a fridge is necessary. Before I went vegan, it would have been possible as I pretty much lived off of prepackaged proccessed crap. Now that I'm into things like fresh fruits, mushrooms, fresh veggies...well, a fridge is necessary. If I were a homemaker, perhaps then I'd go to the market on a daily basis. But, I have to teach to earn some won to buy some food and riding the busiest subway line during rush hour, teaching young children all day and then riding the subway back home again tends to wear me out.

Fridges are essential, where else would i keep my magnets ?

Our fridge is big and shiny. It chills water and makes crushed ice for cocktails
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote fiamma
    If you don't need a fridge, why do you need a freezer?
    I need a place to store all my severed heads

I need a fridge to keep my wine cold!

Also if I cook, which is rarely, I usually make big pots of stew or soup so need a fridge to keep it fresh til it is all eaten.

Quote Greenboy View Post
    LOL. The stove?

Quote Greenboy View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA~~~~ I love that! Very funny!

I certainly think it could be argued that fridges are not strictly needed, but then nor are many modern facilities. I have no intention of getting rid of mine in any case.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Quote Woody View Post
    And they must use a lot of energy and therefore money being on all day, every day. When i eventually get a place of my own i really don't think i'll be shelling out for a fridge/freezer.

Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone living a fridge free life?
    Woody, what about a small bar type fridge? That would probably consume a lot less energy and could keep just a few things cold if you needed them (leftovers etc).

I used to have one of them, it wass so cute Unfortunately I find myself going in the opposite direction - I need a bigger fridge!!! Veg seems to go off really quickly anyway, and with the weather we have here in summer it would be Bacteria City without a fridge... But whatever floats your boat.

Quote Roxy View Post
    Woody, what about a small bar type fridge? That would probably consume a lot less energy and could keep just a few things cold if you needed them (leftovers etc).
    Yeah if i did decide to go definitively fridge-less i'd probably get a little one to use occasionally, unless i had a cold pantry type thing; that would be great.

Our previous fridge used to pack up regularly for a couple of years before we bit the bullet and replaced it. When it did it in winter I found I could manage without for a few days by putting some stuff outside or in a cool cupboard. It was difficult not to waste food though when it happened in the summer.

I guess if you had time to shop, or forage, every day you could probably manage without. But you'd have to buy stuff like soy milk (if you wanted it) in small quantities and that could be un-green in terms of the packaging.

PainterLady

Would you like a refrigerator that you can power by riding a bicycle that is connected to a generator that powers it? Would you be willing to cycle a half hour a day for your refrigerator needs?

I like that idea, PainterLady - I always feel that exercise for its own sake is a bit pointless but if I could power something by it I would be more motivated.

Mind you it might be an idea if you had some form of backup power as well because it would be annoying if you were ill or something and all your food decomposed.

pavotrouge

I need a fridge, but can get along without a freezer (though this means no soy ice cream!)... I could live without a fridge, however.

But it's more handy because I don't have the time to go shopping very often, working 50h a week.

Did I ever mention that the fact my fridge was broken a year ago ignited the idea of becoming vegan in me?

Quote harpy View Post
    I always feel that exercise for its own sake is a bit pointless but if I could power something by it I would be more motivated.
    I wonder how much electricity a random gym could generate. Green power for and by the people!

The Fekkler
    Must not sleep. Must warn others.

pavotrouge

Just imagine how much energy could be generated by all vegan misundertstanding and omni's ignorance power...

No, of course we don't.

People managed before, and if we take into account the real & present threat of climate chaos to all forms of life (WHO estimates 160,000 people/year dieing from climate chaos), surely we should be giving them up now? That's not to mention cost, the hum etc etc. Socrates said something about there being so many things that he didn't need. I'd quite like a future for our children, myself, hence no fridge.

I've not had one for 14 years, in a variety of homes.

People get in the habit of keeping things in the fridge that don't really need to be kept there. Many things actually keep better out of the fridge, and the risks to health are far fewer.

It's hard to think how you can manage without, like people have forgotten how things worked before mobile phones! A lot of the things people say they'd lose, they wouldn't in my experience - one problem indeed, is that you have to eat all your swedish glace (or similar) in one go - not a hardship I find! Frozen food is convenient but bereft of nutritional value by and large. Ice I get (for free) from my local pub, leftovers I tend to eat within a day or two (especially if you share food with others), cold beer I buy from nearby shop or have drinks best not too cold (they keep their cold for quite a while, or you can use cold water to cool 'em). Soya & marg are fine. Buy good fresh veg and it'll last longer - depending on what kind of lettuce, it lasts without wilting for days to over a week! I don't shop every day (about once, sometimes twice, a week). I ignore the refrigerate after opening labels, and use my commonsense instead. People in warm climates use keer pots, or matkas, or cold cellars, etc etc etc. Perhaps once stuff has been kept in the fridge, it can't survive so long out of one, from people's stories on this thread - I've kept all those things fine out of a fridge. I don't waste any food.

I've only just started using a larder, and have a balcony I can put stuff out on. I also have an allotment, so can be clever with seasonal veg & would like to get into preserving. However, for most of the years I've not had a fridge or freezer, I've not had these advantages, so it's easy even without.

Try it.

Quote samtoo View Post
    Ice I get (for free) from my local pub
    Careful with pub ice, it's notoriously unclean and having worked in a pub I avoid it myself (You don't want to know the reason why)

Quote Risker View Post
    Careful with pub ice . . . (You don't want to know the reason why)
    I now NEED to know!

Quote Marrers View Post
    I now NEED to know!
    What the hell - there were 2 buckets in this particular chain pub, one was used for carrying ice and one for catching urine when there was a leak.

They weren't labelled, enough said.