Thread: Nutritional Yeast

Yogini

Question Nutritional Yeast

You know what else it's good on? Green salad.

Yeah, man. A little olive oil, a little lemon juice, a light dusting of garlic powder, two pinches of sesame seeds. Then several generous shakes of Red Star.

I've been unhappy with my salads this week because my store was out of green onions and I was finding my salad too bland without them. The nutritional yeast changed everything.

i recently became a vegan after being a lacto-vegetarian for over a year. i just bought some nutritional yeast, but i was wondering if there was anything i could do with it besides just adding it to smoothies and juice and stuff like that. i really don't enjoy many fruit juices enough to drink them regularly and i don't make smoothies very often. any suggestions for adding nutritional yeast to my diet?

Default Re: Nutritional Yeast

You'll probably find loads of ideas in this thread.

http://veganforum.com/forums/showthr...ritional+yeast

nutritional yeast is good in cheese like recipes. It is good to make a variety of sauces. It tastes good on popcorn and in tofu scrambles.

how are you finding it? i think it's gross and too salty. it's not a natural b12 source and is enriched. if you're looking for b12 better to take methylcobalamin supplements (and not the cyanocobalamin cuz it's not as good).
    and if you're prone to yeast infections adding yeast to the mix is NOT going to help. i think it's just another health fad that isn't really good, kinda like all the organic farms and whatnot promoting the consumption of "dandelion greens" because they're a "great antioxidant". like, whatever, they're abundant in the fields and what better thing to do than throw them away?? sell them to dummies for $3 a bunch! hey, i've bought them before, but i won't anymore. :P i think the same goes for nutritional yeast... it's nothing good.. i know it makes me sick.
    good luck finding recipes though. i found some sauce recipe to mix with tamari, garlic and i think that's it... not sure.. i dunno, but it makes a sauce for something, i completely forget. wow no help. anyways, it's bad in my opinion, and not all that natural.

Hey, thanx for the info!
    Grrrnola, i agree with you about dandelion greens and organic farms and all that...lol. i heard everywhere that nutritional yeast is just really good for you, but i guess i'll look into other supplements as well. in the meantime i might as well stick to the nutritional yeast cuz i got a lot of it now!

i was wondering if you've read The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan? i know we're not omnivores, but it is still a very interesting book. you sound like you might like it.

Soul Rebel

nutritional yeast is an ingrediant in seitan which we use in veggie pot pie and various other recipes. this seitan recipe is in vegan with a vengance.

Nutritional yeast is good for you. It won't have any bearing on yeast infections. This is "dead" yeast that you are eating. Yeast infections are caused by eating to much sugar, anti-biotics, bad diet, etc. Not by eating inactive yeast.

I use it to make cheesy sauces and to thicken and enrich sauces.

It's not high in sodium at all - even if it tastes salty.

This might be off-topic, but how are dandelion greens not good for you? They are high in vitamin A, vitamin C, and calcium. They are also high in fiber. They probably do have antioxidants, as most plants do. I personally think they taste gross, but they are certainly good for you.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

nervine

Quote rantipole View Post
    This might be off-topic, but how are dandelion greens not good for you? They are high in vitamin A, vitamin C, and calcium. They are also high in fiber. They probably do have antioxidants, as most plants do. I personally think they taste gross, but they are certainly good for you.

Cheers,
    rant
    Dandelion greens contain a toxic substance that we can easily detect by its bitter taste. That means that you could eat a few leaves but not much more. Your body will let you know when you've eaten too many.

Quote nervine View Post
    Dandelion greens contain a toxic substance that we can easily detect by its bitter taste. That means that you could eat a few leaves but not much more. Your body will let you know when you've eaten too many.
    I have never heard this, and I'm sorry but I doubt it. The Wikipedia entry doesn't mention that, nor does the encyclopedia. It has been eaten and used medicinally for a very long time, so I doubt it's toxic.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

nervine

Quote rantipole View Post
    I have never heard this, and I'm sorry but I doubt it. The Wikipedia entry doesn't mention that, nor does the encyclopedia. It has been eaten and used medicinally for a very long time, so I doubt it's toxic.

Cheers,
    rant
    People say the same about meat you know..
    Well, you could do an experiment. Eat a whole bunch of them on empty stomach and see what happens.

Default vegan cheese recipe w/o nutritional yeast?

i've had professionally made vegan cheeses at restaurants w/ nutritional yeast, and i've also made stuff myself w/ recipes i found online...i just do not like any of these cheeses w/ nutritional yeast.

i am, however, crazy about vegan gourmet follow your heart cheese i love cheddar the most and then monterey jack. actually, i like them all except mozerella, but prob cuz i haven't tried it on pizza which is where it belongs, not pasta.

anyway, does anyone have a recipe that closely resembles follow your heart cheddar or monterey jack??? no nutritional yeast please. i've read their ingredients, but i dunno what's in the natural flavours. =,(

Default Re: vegan cheese recipe w/o nutritional yeast?

I make a cheese sauce with yeast extract (completely different taste to nutritional yeast), onion powder, mustard powder, and dried parsley. I do usually add nutritional yeast too, but it's pretty tasty without.

Basically make a white sauce with soya milk, then stir in the other ingredients. I use about half a teaspoon of each for 1 pint of sauce.

If you make it thick it works pretty well on pizza. Also works great on lasagne, cauliflower cheese, macaroni and cheese, etc.

It probably tastes nothing like those cheeses you mentioned, but it is good.

Default Re: vegan cheese recipe w/o nutritional yeast?

look in raw recipies to find nut cheeses.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Yogini

Default fun facts about nutritional yeast

I know it's the B vitamins, but am I the only one who gets a kick out of how bright, neon yellow it turns your pee?

anyone in the u.s. or anywhere heard of red star nutritional yeast?

Quote cedarblue View Post
    anyone in the u.s. or anywhere heard of red star nutritional yeast?
    Yes, I have some. I ordered it form veganstore.com. I am not sure I like it as much as the kind I have gotten out of the health food store bulk bin, but I thought I would give it a try. The stuff sitting out in bulk bins (if they are transparant) I've heard can reduce the levels of vitamin b-12 and other good things it contains. But I might go back to using it anyways.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

i ask because i read it supplements vit b12. it it included in the nutritional list?

I bought (and recently tried) some nutritional yeast the other day. I really like how it tastes cheesy; I add it to pasta and popcorn with a little garlic flavoring mixed in. I'm not one to use "weird" vegan foods, but I really do like it. From what I've read its dead yeast and cannot cause yeast infections. Does anyone know nutritionally (fat, protein, carb ratios) what it is? It seems to taste fatty to me... but I couldnt' find any info on it.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

JC

Quote Bobbi Luvs U View Post
    i was wondering if there was anything i could do with it besides just adding it to smoothies and juice and stuff like that
    smoothies?! woah! i don't think i'd ever go there with nutritional yeast, lol. i love it sprinkled on corn cakes because it tastes like snack-a-jacks. and i mix it with baked beans to make cheesy beans. i never thought to add it to pasta, that's definately something to try.

Ella, on my packet, the stats per 100g are:
    Energy (kj/kcal) 1500/357
    Protein 45
    Carbohydrate 33
    Fat 5
    of which saturates 2.5
    Fibre 20
    Sodium 1

oh my, i do love it!

I bought some of this a couple of weeks back and like to sprinkle it on soups and on roast potatoes. I have 'Marigold' brand and here's the nutritional info from the side of the pack -
    per 100g
    protein 33
    fat 5 (of which 2.5 is saturated)
    fibre 20
    sodium 1
    B1 15
    B2 25
    B3 150
    B6 1.8
    Folic A 23
    b5 1.3 mg
    iron 4.5
    magn. 180

All up, pretty high in protein and B vitamins and very low in fat! It also mentions that the yeast is 'inactive'.
    Hope this helps....
    In her satin tights.....fighting for your rights.....

sugarmouse

I have never had nutritinal Yeast.I feel I am missing out!I have nevr come across it anywhere, apart from on sites that only deliver to the U.S!

Mahk

Quote cedarblue View Post
    i ask because i read it supplements vit b12. it it included in the nutritional list?
    I have KAL brand which is said to be made for them by Red Star, so I'm told. It says "Vegetarian Support Formula" on it so that seems like more evidence that it is really the same.

One level scoop (included, 70 cc or aproximately 16g) has 130% DV of B12.
    It is indeed listed in the ingredients, as well as other B vitamins and niacin, but I think it is actually not an added ingredient but rather an ingredient added to the molasses that the yeast (Saccharomyces Cerevisiae) are grown on.

I'm going to try the popcorn topping use mentioned earlier but I primarily use it to make "cheese" sauce, like for nachos:

I sprinkle it on mixed salad and it adds a delicious flavour. D/t brands taste d/t I currently use 'lotus' in Australia. It's the nicest out of all the brands I've tried.

Quote sugarmouse View Post
    I have never had nutritinal Yeast.I feel I am missing out!I have nevr come across it anywhere, apart from on sites that only deliver to the U.S!
    They sell it in those GNC ("health food" and supplements) places, if you're anywhere near one of those. If you can't get to one I can send you some, if you like.

I tried it once and hated it...but then the good people at VF convinced me to try it again...and now I love it!!! if you sprinkle it on corn chips it makes them taste like doritos...mmmm....but my word of advice, if you are making a cheese sauce don't use a white plastic spoon...it will die it orange....grrr...
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

cobweb

Quote sugarmouse View Post

uk veganstore sell it online, sugarmouse.

i am eating this again now, and cheezly. I finally found out that i need new lenses in my glasses and this is why i was getting daily headaches! . yay!.

Mahk

Quote missbettie View Post
    I tried it once and hated it...but then the good people at VF convinced me to try it again...and now I love it!!!...
    I also didn't like it at first but now love it. Must be an acquired taste as they say.

....but my word of advice, if you are making a cheese sauce don't use a white plastic spoon...it will die it orange....grrr...
    I guess and also your tongue, esophagus, stomach...

I add a small dash of turmeric to get the right color for my cheese sauce but never knew about the plastic discoloration aspect. Good to know.

Sugarmouse (and anyone else new to buying nutritional yeast): don't accidentally buy brewer's yeast or active yeast, also made by the same companies and sold in the same stores so it's easy to be mistaken. [as I almost did once] They could expand in your tummy and cause an explosion.

Mahk your 'cheese' sauce looks very yummy! What do you put in it aside of tumeric and nutritional yeast flakes?
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.

Mahk

My 'cheese' sauce is stolen from one of our "mac and cheese" threads here (or perhaps another forum, I can't recall, taken from one of the vegan cookbooks originally, I believe).

-Melt 3 Tbls. of vegan margarine (Earth Balance where I live) in sauce pan over medium flame (er "coil" in my case).

-Mix together in a bowl the powder mixture:

3 Tbls. "Nooch" (Nutr. Yeast)
    1 Tbls. all purpose flour
    1/8 teaspoon turmeric (coloring really but adds a little taste too, I believe)

[options I often add: dash of garlic powder, Tabasco, mustard powder or prepared, and black pepper. Note: Earth Balance has plenty of salt for me but add some if your margarine doesn't.]

- Dissolve powder mixture in melted vegan margarine to make a thick paste

- Immediately add 1/4 to 1/2 cup unsweetened, plain, unflavored soy milk (I have used others in a pinch and hear one can use just plain water too) and stir until uniform.

- cook at medium-low, stirring frequently until mixture starts to bubble. The liquid will start to thicken and I stop at the first sign that the bubbles are showing a glistening (much like real melted cheese does which shows the fat content is trying to separate) perhaps 2 or 3 minutes tops. Done.

The 1/4 to 1/2 cup liquid is my guesstimate. I usually wing it. Use more for a more liquidy result and less for a thicker result, obviously.

Good luck.

sugarmouse

Thanks Cobweb! Ill try that

Mahk, EVERY time i have gone into a health food shop or any shop I think might sell nutritional yeast, the conversation is the same.

Me 'Hello, do you sell nutritional yeast by any chance'
    Them 'you mean this (Holds up brewers yeast) or, this? (holds up active yeast for breadmaking)

Me 'No I mean nutritional yeast'

Them 'Wil this do? (Holds up some new fangled brand of baking yeast or yeast for brewing beer)

Me 'I am going to sample some brewers yeast in the pub next door.Goodbye.

Mahk

Sugarmouse, I had exactly the same experience when I tried looking for it at first, then one day I stumbled upon it at Whole Foods Market in the vitamin section. I don't know if that means UK WFMs would have it though.

from the Vegan Society UK:

"Nutritional Yeast Flakes

... They are available from independent health food shops, or failing that, contact Marigold Health Foods, Tel: 020 7388 4515."

"Engevita" is the name it seems.

Google UK shopping results.

"Brewer's yeast" might actually be OK as long as it says it is DE-activated (dead), I'm not sure though. Saccharomyecs cerevisiae is the same yeast in both, I guess.

I find I get a better response if I go to the health food shop and ask for 'savoury yeast'!

Same, Treehugga. I went to my local health food shop and was given Brewer's Yeast.... then I realised it was wrong, went back the next day and said "savoury" and the girl was like 'ohhhh! this!" and handed me savoury yeast flakes!

I am going to try that sauce, Cobweb!

I did it! I bought my first huge can of "Nutritional Yeast." I'm starting to feel Official I can't wait to try it. BUT Since I'm a novice, I figured it would be a much more pleasant experience if I asked the Pros for advice. Do you guys have any quick uses? or favorite recipes? or do you just use it as a supplement? I would really love to hear from you!!!
    Last edited by Korn; Aug 1st, 2008 at 06:41 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread
    -zee

Default Re: How To...

I love adding it to mashed potatoes.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I sprinkle it on tofu scrambles.
    I add it to olive oil and use it as a dip for warm bread...mmmmm.
    I even sprinkle it right on to pasta and sauce as a stand-in for grated cheese.

Make a white sauce with soya milk and add nutritional yeast to it and voila! you have cheese sauce.

Mahk

All the kewel kids call it "nooch" BTW.
    My nachos.

Can I ask what's the difference between nutritional yeast and normal yeast? Is there a difference?

Oh and I've also read in "Becoming Vegan" that nutritional yeast is good on popcorn. But I've never tried it.

Quote Mahk View Post
    All the kewel kids call it "nooch" BTW.
    My nachos.

Thanks MahK!!! the NOOCH is still untouched, i dunno why i'm so intimidated by the damn thing.
    -zee

Mahk

Quote clueless View Post
    Can I ask what's the difference between nutritional yeast and normal yeast? Is there a difference? .
    The yeast one buys to make bread is alive and growing, nutritional yeast (aka yeast flakes in some countries, including yours I believe) is dead and not growing. Yeast is neither an animal nor a vegetable; it is another kingdom entirely called "fungi". Other examples are mold and mushrooms.

It is a good source for vitamin B12, at least if one buys a fortified variety.

Quote clueless View Post
    Oh and I've also read in "Becoming Vegan" that nutritional yeast is good on popcorn. But I've never tried it.
    one of my friends makes incredible popcorn with it...in fact, i used to hate popcorn until i tried hers. i think it also has sea salt with seaweed, and possibly olive oil.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

p.s., i put nutritional yeast on salads...speaking of which, i'm out, so i need to go buy some more...

it's also good to sprinkle over pizza or pasta
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

I try to sneak it into a lot of different things such as refried beans for burritos. (makes them "cheesier") I also find that it works well for adding extra nutrition in smoothies. If you add lots of fruit such as berries and bananas, it "masks" the taste. (though my daughter and I don't mind the taste)

Anybody else notice they pee bright yellow after consuming a lot of nutritional yeast? I figure it's the B vitamins so that makes me feel good.

Default Re: fun facts about nutritional yeast

Quote Yogini View Post
    I know it's the B vitamins, but am I the only one who gets a kick out of how bright, neon yellow it turns your pee?
    haha, that only happens if you have too much b vitamins, they secrete through your urine what your body does not need..

I pee green when I've had asparagus.

*ahem*