Thread: Food for a roadtrip

Default Food for a roadtrip

well, not really very far...but my mum and I are driving down to cardiff from london at the weekend, and i said i would make some stuff for the car.

soooo, any bright sparks got ideas better than just nuts and seeds and some dried fruit, cos that's all i can think of at the mo!

amanda

Megan89

Default Re: Food for a roadtrip

Hi There,
    I really wanted to start a new thread but am not sure how to anyway i thought my question may be most relevant here.
    Basically i am thinking of going on a big eurotrip for about 2 weeks with my friends in the summer. I am thinking that it will be a lot easier if i give up veganism for these short 2 weeks as it would make mine and everyone else's life a lot easier. I personally feel ok about doing this (i will just be a vege and no i will definietly not be consuming any meat - just eggs and dairy) I would be very interested in all your opinions on my decision. do you think this is a good idea? Please comment.....

Hey

Flying Plum

You could make a soup and bring it along in a thermos. Like in this example:

http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/20...1_archive.html

Megan89

If you start eating eggs and dairy producs, then you will get sick and have stomack problems. How long the pain last depends on how long you have been a vegan.

Just because you are a vegan doesnt make you a stress element and a lot of problems. There are many people out there who has a different diet or an allergy, so they cant this or that.

You could bring along a vegan passport. There its explained what a vegan eat in many languages. So you can give it to them who make the food where you are going to eat.

http://www.vegetarianguides.co.uk/pr...passport.shtml

What about checking out vegan friendly resturants/cafes on the internet:

http://www.happycow.net/

Do you know if there is a kitchen where you are going to sleep?

For the road trip, how about some wraps? They are not too bread-y compared with ordinary sandwiches, and it doesn't matter if they get a bit squashed in transit.

Wrap fillings that go down well:
    - avocado, salsa and cold refried beans (I know the cold beans don't sound all that nice but they are)
    - onion bhajis and chutney
    - falafels, hummus and olives

Re the Eurotrip, it's up to you, but in the parts of Europe I go to (usually France, Italy and Greece) I find I can get more-or-less vegan food without too many problems. I say "more-or-less" because I avoid obvious non-vegan elements but tend to take it on trust that there aren't any hidden ones. You may end up eating a lot of salad but obviously you can fill in any holes by eating nuts, fruit etc between restaurant meals. Whereabouts are you going?

ooo, good idea harpy. falafel is a great idea cos that works well for eating-and-driving. i have a couple of tins of chick peas...i know what i'm doing on thursday

megan - don't feel you have to give up on your veganism just because of the trip. it depends where you're going in europe, but really it shouldn't be much harder than over here - especially in the summer when salad abounds.

amanda

what about some apples and a jar of almond butter.
    cut the apples into slices and dip into the butter or spread them with it! - really tasty!!!

apples and peanut butter were one of my favourite things when i was a kid. i haven't eaten it for ages...don't have any almond butter, but peanut. yum

ok, so i think also i'm going to make falafel and a bean dip thing i sometimes do with black eyed beans, garlic, tomato paste and basil with some good bread. yum

i'm psyched! haven't seen my little bro in ages

amanda

I had a lovely sub sandwich yesterday:

I cooked a part baked organic wholemeal sub, and baked some courgette and red pepper without oil. I cut the veg into 8 pieces each before baking. That was enough veg for two subs.

When it was all cold, I cut the sub open, spread hummous on it instead of margarine, filled it with raw baby leaf spinach, and the courgette and pepper. Grated carrot and alfalfa sprouts would go nicely in it too.

Was really nice and juicy

Quote flying plum View Post
    soooo, any bright sparks got ideas better than just nuts and seeds and some dried fruit, cos that's all i can think of at the mo!

amanda

imho, Water

seems you've got the food covered so far, so all you need is some water to get through the day

Pob... that sounded very tasty.

Quote Megan89 View Post
    I am thinking that it will be a lot easier if i give up veganism for these short 2 weeks as it would make mine and everyone else's life a lot easier. I personally feel ok about doing this (i will just be a vege and no i will definietly not be consuming any meat - just eggs and dairy)
    Oh no, don't do that!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote flying plum View Post
    soooo, any bright sparks got ideas better than just nuts and seeds and some dried fruit, cos that's all i can think of at the more
    Can you have things like...erm...god...those bar things? Snack bars or whatever.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

hey everyone - thanks for all the suggestions. in the end, i made falafel, humous, cucumber raita, carrot and cucumber sticks and pitta bread strips for dipping, and some laddu.

my mum was very surprised when i told her the raita was made with soya yoghurt i'm trying to get her to eat more soya, as its meant to be good for menopause and hot flushes, and i think it's starting to take effect

amanda