Thread: standing up for my veganism? help please!

Default standing up for my veganism? help please!

hi all, i've been a vegan for about four years and i do it for the animals. i just cannot agree with exploiting animals for our own benefit.

BUT i'm really rubbish at sticking up for myself/my veganism when people start getting at me. although i cannot really explain why i'm a vegan, i just know i'm doing the right thing.

anyway, the usual things they throw at me are "But if no one ate the cows, the world would be over-run with them...where would they all go? they'd all die anyway..." and "if no one milked them, they'd get really ill" and of course, "We're at the top of the food chain...we're MEANT to eat animals!" this last one is the only one i can respond too - in my opinion, we're at the top of the food chain and therefore we have a RESPONSIBILITY to look after those under us, not a RIGHT to abuse them. however, i'm really stuck on how to respond to all the other rubbish they throw at me. what would happen if no one ate the cows??? sorry if this sounds dumb but i could really use the feedback, thanks!

happy veganising, tri

Default Re: standing up for my veganism? help please!

The only reason there ARE so many cows is because there is demand for it by the meat eating population. Factory farms keep breeding them to keep up with the demand for meat. As far as milk goes, again it's human interference that keeps so many cows impregnated. They only produce milk if they are pregnant. So they keep getting them pregnant, so they keep producing milk. The female babies are put into the life of slavery that their mothers are already in and male babies are crated to be veal. Another point you could make in your favor is that if there weren't so many cows that took up so much space , that same land could be used to grow crops to feed more people.

Don't let other's arguements get to you. I think people give us a hard time because deep down they they feel guilty for eating meat and feel they have to act defensive.

I spoke to someone once who was convinced that cows ate grass and that's what made them produce milk! They didn't twig that cows are mammals and only produce milk after having babies. I don't believe this person was alone in thinking this. Cows are just milk producing machines as far as most people think, if they actually think about them at all, they just want their daily pinta without the inconvenience of learning how they get it. If only they knew how much pus they pour into their tea and coffee and onto their cereal every day due to the high levels of mastitis that cows suffer because of their overloaded udders .

Cows are domesticated animals and are only here because humans artificially inseminate them to produce more. No human interference, no lame, mastistis infected cows. Cows are so unnatural now that they have been bred to produce far more milk than the calf could ever drink. No mammal produces more milk than is needed for the baby except mammals that have been bred to do it by humans.

Get info on the dairy industry here:

http://www.milkmyths.org.uk/

Hope this helps

That top of the food chain thing always makes me smile. Put a lion in a room with a weaponless human and see who's at the top then

veganbelly.com

Personally, I think people coming at you with those sorts of arguments aren't interested in a serious discussion, they're just looking to wind you up. So best to just ignore it and not even bother.

It's always been obvious to me when someone is genuinely interested in a considered discussion about veganism (even if they don't necessarily agree with it).

-Paul
    >> veganbelly.com

Quote ecoanimal View Post
    Cows are so unnatural now that they have been bred to produce far more milk than the calf could ever drink. No mammal produces more milk than is needed for the baby except mammals that have been bred to do it by humans.
    what people then say is - 'well, we bred them to do it...it would be cruel to just leave them with these overly-filled udders, wouldn't it?'.

to that, i have no answer, other than, i guess the remaining cows should be milked humanely i.e. just to relieve the pain, not overly milked nor inseminated again until they no longer naturally produce milk. is that right?

the second point people then say is 'well, then what would happen to all the cows? you can't expect farmers to keep them for free, but presumably you don't want them culled!'. well, of course i don't want them culled, and i feel that it's our mess as humans, we should bear the cost and personally, i think they should all be allowed to sit in a field and moo until they're old and grey or whatever cow hair does...but does anyone have a sensible answer to that?

amanda

Quote flying plum View Post
    ...'well, we bred them to do it...it would be cruel to just leave them with these overly-filled udders, wouldn't it?'.
    We could let the calves have some of that milk - afterall that is the purpose of lactation. I can imagine that it would take some of the pressure. We may have bred them to an unnatural level of lactation, but that does not mean we have the right to take their milk. Two wrongs do not make a right.

...'well, then what would happen to all the cows?
    The immense population of cows would slowly phase out if we did not breed them. The remaining cows should be given sanctuary like the freed slaves they are. Again, we may have bred them to a life in slavery, but taking their lifes does not set that right.

...you can't expect farmers to keep them for free...
    Subsidies have been greasing the wheel for ages. Those money could rightfully be put to better use for this purpose.

The Fekkler
    Must not sleep. Must warn others.

thanks ecoanimal and felece - those links were great, i feel much more informed (and confident!) now, cheers!

"But if no one ate the cows, the world would be over-run with them...where would they all go? they'd all die anyway..."

I find that the best response to this particular old chestnut is a broad smile and a “huuum” to give the impression that you are considering this devastating demolition of the foundations of all your beliefs for the very first time.

Then you respond along the lines of, “I don’t really believe that the whole world will be converted to veganism overnight. So, I suppose that gradually there would be a smaller and smaller demand. That would mean that equally gradually there would be a declining meat and dairy industry until it slowly diminished to zero. It’s just an example of the law of supply and demand.”
    Last edited by cyril; Mar 16th, 2007 at 10:00 PM. Reason: spelling error
    I may be ancient but I’m active, a bit like a volcano.

... I always try making people see the ethical argument but giving them a human equivalent example... so in the case of "all the cows dying if noone eats them" I would use an example:

Imagine we bred certain humans to be our slaves, would you rather they existed or not? Personally I rather they did not...

It's funny how people worry about what to do with livestock when the vegans make them obsolete. Anyone care to worry with me about the economic disruptions that are bound to occur when there is world peace and the weapons manufacturers go out of business and soldiers are out of work?

Quote John View Post
    It's funny how people worry about what to do with livestock when the vegans make them obsolete. Anyone care to worry with me about the economic disruptions that are bound to occur when there is world peace and the weapons manufacturers go out of business and soldiers are out of work?
    hehe, good point, john
    it really is strange that people always ask that question...it's so senseless!
    Piggy

Quote Manzana View Post
    ... I always try making people see the ethical argument but giving them a human equivalent example... so in the case of "all the cows dying if noone eats them" I would use an example:

Imagine we bred certain humans to be our slaves, would you rather they existed or not? Personally I rather they did not...
    And also, anyone who agrees with abortion should also agree that not bringing a cow into existence.. purely to suffer.. is well, similar in a sense.

thanks for the answers to my questions there those points that i know i'm right on, but can't always find a good answer to. i like the one about a slow conversion and less and less demand required.

amanda

nervine

Quote John View Post
    lmao! nice one.

all purpose answer when you can't come up with a quick reply:
    Ya, I used to think that too before the brainwashing wore off.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

You could also look to some free booklets that you can get from the Vegan Society - http://www.vegansociety.com/html/

The information contained in these covers animals, the environemnt etc and they are aimed i guess in part at people who do not understand the arguments we portray.

The good thing is that you are then armed with technical and scientific snippets of information you could use.

Some people i know have never been able to fly the 'animal' flag, for whatever reason they felt uncomfortable in doing so.

But now under the 'environmental' flag the same message is coming out and across with less 'hassle'.

Try those booklets and see if that helps a bit.

Korn is putting more and more environmental stuff on the site too - so plenty to explore across all subjects until you find something that you are comfortable with.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Default Re: standing up for my veganism!

I could use more 'environmental' ammunition as well. One of those online 'green' sites advocates -get this- raising pigs and chickens for food instead of importing. Uuugggh. There are still so many people around who think their local ham and cheese sandwich is greener than my imported avocado and pepper. Wish I had the facts on hand!

I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Lilac Hamster

I never understand this! I put it quite simply comparing it to other forms of discrimination, for instance if people with learning difficulties and therefore less intelligence should have rights, and definitely the right to life and not to be exploited or abused, so should animals. I have never shied away from saying this to animal eaters if anyone wonders why I am vegan and if they ask I tell.

I find it a bit irritating how many vegans shy away from actually citing anti-speciesist arguments, and I believe we have to keep stating it assertively and calmly, or else the whole idea will never get into the mass public consciousness. Anti-racism and anti-homophobia has so we need this also to happen for the animals.

I'm not shy to say I am for the abolition of the use of animals for our ends, as a vegan I am not going to advocate reforms such as "kinder" ways of farming which slows down real progress, ie abolition of animals as our property to use (I guess I am quite a bit influenced by Gary Francione). I'd rather leave the reformist talk to the vegetarians and selective meat-eaters.

Lesley

Quote Frank View Post

Some people i know have never been able to fly the 'animal' flag, for whatever reason they felt uncomfortable in doing so.

Slows down real progress? If abolition can't be accomplished tomorrow I will advocate for any steps that make abuse less profitable. Yes, you're right in that we all have to ration our efforts but I feel we all work on the same front.
    Does that mean I don't fly the animal flag? As long as I can be subversive....

hi ppl im new here thought i'd say hi and that i also find it frustrating and difficult to tell people why im vegan. i just say i cant be bothered to tell them and tell them to research it on the net.

give them my phone number, i'll tell them
    I dont get crunchy people?

hi vegan_alix! welcome to the forum

i know sometimes people ask why you're vegan and don't really care about the answer, but if they seem to care, maybe they're put off by how you seem to brush off their question like that. i think it also may add to the misconception that veganism is irrational/silly/frivolous and can't be explained and that's why you don't want to explain it to them...obviously that's not true, but your reaction to their question might make it seem that way.

that's just my opinion...it's up to you how to deal with people though...whatever works best for you
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

I just posted my approach to this one on another thread, but I'll post it again here because it often seems to work.

Experience shows that people often seem to ask you about being veg*n when you're both eating, and that often seems to lead to an argument (presumably because they feel criticised). But, if you explain politely that you'd prefer to discuss it after you've finished eating, and ask them to ask you again then, the ones that bother to come back and ask seem to be those with a genuine interest.

If people ask me what a vegan is or why I'm vegan, I always tell them. The other day at the supermarket the boy at the checkout commented on what I was buying, I told him I was vegan. He said he didn't know the difference between a vegetarian and a vegan so I told him. It really started him thinking, he was asking all sorts of questions..............he even said he was going to try to eat more 'healthily' and try to eat more fruit (as he didn't like fruit). So, if someone is interested enough to ask a question, I always try and answer it...........you never know it could plant a seed!

alix - had a moment like that yesterday. a friend of mine asked me why i was vegan at lunch yesterday, and for some reason, i've had a lot of people ask me this recently. i find it a little wearing, just because not many people ask the question prepared to listen to the answer. i started explaining about milk and how the dairy industry was the meat industry, whereupon my friend insisted that veal was from deer...

honestly, when you're up against that kind of ignorance, it's difficult not to scream and remain calm.

i do often find that people don't ask me because they want to know, but more that they want to pick holes in my argument. i always chalk this up to the fact that they're asking it just to set their conscience to rest. if they can find fault with my argument, then theirs must be right. i found it while i was veggie, and i find it more now i'm vegan. the only thing i find with veganism is that i have stronger arguments than 'i think it's mean'. i've developed a better philosophy, and feel that i can argue it better.

but usually, if someone just starts picking a fight, i must confess there are a lot of times i just can't be bothered. i know that's not the best approach, and ti won't spread the word, but y'know...

amanda

Quote triona.d. View Post
    hi all, i've been a vegan for about four years and i do it for the animals. i just cannot agree with exploiting animals for our own benefit.
    BUT i'm really rubbish at sticking up for myself/my veganism when people start getting at me. although i cannot really explain why i'm a vegan, i just know i'm doing the right thing.
    anyway, the usual things they throw at me are "But if no one ate the cows, the world would be over-run with them...where would they all go? they'd all die anyway..." and "if no one milked them, they'd get really ill" and of course, "We're at the top of the food chain...we're MEANT to eat animals!" this last one is the only one i can respond too - in my opinion, we're at the top of the food chain and therefore we have a RESPONSIBILITY to look after those under us, not a RIGHT to abuse them. however, i'm really stuck on how to respond to all the other rubbish they throw at me. what would happen if no one ate the cows??? sorry if this sounds dumb but i could really use the feedback, thanks!
    happy veganising, tri

We're not at the top of the foodchain, most animals would successfully maul us! It's just because we're not living naturally.. we cage the animals that could kill us and use machinery to cut up the animals we could definitely not kill my hand! I say we.. I mean THEY.

Cows only produce milk when they've had a calf, farms artificially inseminate them to produce milk.. do women produce milk unless they've had a baby? Nope.

Look at our teeth? Do they look like dog teeth? No... We're not supposed to eat meat!

Sometimes the easiest thing is just to be simple and direct. I tell people: I'm a vegan because I don't want to hurt animals.

If they challenge that by saying they don't care about the animals they consume, tell them that you guess your position says something about you and their position says something about them.

Remember, in most cases, you'll be challenged by people who don't want to feel guilty for causing the deaths of animals. By putting you on the defensive with some silly put-down or pseudo-intellectual argument, they're just trying to soothe their own conscience.

Another option: Tell them you don't want your stomach to be a graveyard.

Hang tough.

Legit Ballin

ive found that perhaps not focusing on the animals loving as much and telling them about the disgusting parts of dairy and meat seems to not only end ridicule but at times persuade as well. for instance, my best friend supports me in my decision all the way but at one point asked why i had gone vegan (since it kind of came out of nowhere). the first thing i told her about was the trace amounts of blood and puss in milk and other dairy products. not only did the conversation end right then and there, but she can no longer enjoy her morning glass of milk.

Quote Legit Ballin View Post
    the first thing i told her about was the trace amounts of blood and puss in milk and other dairy products.
    Not to mention the fecal matter...think about it. Can you milk a cow from that end and totally avoid getting a little fecal matter mixed in with the milk?

Actually, I would think you probably can - don't they just jam the suckers onto a cow's teats and then whip them off again when it's all been sucked out? If you use that argument on anyone who's seen a "how it's made" docu they'll probably dismiss your whole argument if you don't get one bit right.

cobweb

Yes, i thought that, Twinkle - the udders are nowhere near the poo producing part

Quote cobweb View Post
    Yes, i thought that, Twinkle - the udders are nowhere near the poo producing part
    But the fact is that shit does get into the milk! Even if it's possible to do a job cleanly every time, it's also possible to fumble it; that's my point.

cobweb

Does it? - there's proof that it does, yes?.
    It doesn't really matter to me atall, the whole concept is disgusting but facts do seem to matter to those who drink the stuff .

Good sperm

I doubt you'd find shit in milk. Blood and pus yes.
    You will find shit in meat however; cutting open a cow with four stomachs and an enormous, full, digestive system makes alot of mess in the abbatoir, and that shit gets on the flesh. If someone attests that abbatoirs have to be clean ask them how a killing line can process one cow every 30 seconds cleanly and with no mistakes. Even if they are clean, sanitary places (ha ha ha yeah right) human error will come into it.

I think everyone who wants to eat meat can do so, if they work in an abbatoir for a day first. If after looking those animals in the eye they can still eat meat then fine, they can eat in. In prison. Because they must be disturbed, empathy-less psychopaths.

God that's horrific AMF......................I would love all meat eaters to have to go and witness that. I woke up last night at about 4am and the awful realisation of what happens to animals in those places just hit me once again..............it's unbelievable that humans do that to other animals and thing it's normal and right.

Just watch the movie, Fast Food Nation. Actually you might not want to because there are some horrific scenes in that movie, however a big focus point is how there is shit in the meat because of the procedures that Amy described.

cobweb

I agree with Absent, it ought to be a compulsory part of all meat-eating childrens secondary schooling .

This is a really great resource for you:
    http://www.vegsource.com/how_to_win.htm

as for my own answers to these, I get frustrated by all the assumptions that people are vegan for the animals alone. I usually say "well, i actually began being a vegetarian because I didn't enjoy the taste of meat. And as time went on, I learned that it was doing good for the animals, the environment, my health, famine and poverty, etc. And so now, I can't find a good reason not to be a vegan." Sometimes I throw in statistics. Nobody argues with statistics! ha-ha.

And when it comes to milk, whenever they ask me about it, I usually laugh and say "do you realize that we are the only mammals that drink another mammals milk? Let alone past infancy! That is so weird! How could I drink that -- I am permanently wigged out by milk!"

The only tough argument I came against were the bloodtype people...which I could not refute since I had never heard of it before, but I have learned (first thing I did when I went home!) that it is an ill-founded argument. I contacted a couple of doctors and they told me there was no way that what you eat is going to affect the antigens in your blood. Most of the articles I found discredited the study. This one is the best and most detailed, written by a couple of doctors.

http://veg.ca/content/view/128/110/

It's stupid because its based on when your blood type was 'discovered' in history. The Blood type O diet is for those originating from hunters and gatherer families. It says that our antigens have a sort of memory as to what we should eat at the time, and hunter-gatherer societies ate the most meat. There are a couple things wrong with this:
    1) out meat consumption has increased over time, and hunter-gathering societies were mostly close to starvation and needed to rely on a more lant-based diet. So, no way that should be the recommended diet for that group.
    2) we ALL are from hunter-gather societies, it is stupid to assume that some people aren't, right?
    3) what would be the new blood type to be discoered for todays society? would it require al "hungryman" frozen dinners and processed junk? It is, as another article said, science fiction
    4) this is designed to help you LOOSE WEIGHT because it is a FAD DIET. The blood type O recommendation is the same as the atkins diet, and is in NO WAY good for health.

Most people you argue with will not know what they are talking about, so it will be difficult sometimes. I think as time goes on you know which battles to choose. For ones that I don't feel like arguing about, or I need to be polite, but I still want my opinion heard, I usually tell them that I am a vegan because "I feel better" and they may or not ask why. If they do, just tell them "oh, ethically, physically, etc." and just list them off like that. They usually won't press you further.

GOOD LUCK <3

Talking Re: standing up for my veganism? help please!

People are just ignorant sometimes. Last night my friend asked me..."ok i understand not eating meat, but how does drinking milk hurt the cow?" oh boy, did this get me started. It's like people think cows produce milk just for us or something, instead of for their babies just like every other mammal. I mean, if we were meant to drink milk, our mothers would still be lactating when we are 30. Drinking another animals milk just doesn't make sense. I told myfriends about how drinking milk means you are directly in favor of veal and about all the pus and chemicals that go into milk. After hearing this one of my friends said she never wanted to eat dairy products again. I don't try to convert people or force them to be vegans, but if you question why I am one...I'll tell you the reasons. I am surprised at how much people don't know. There are people out there who actually think "farms" are places where the cows and chickens and pigs roam free and are hand milked. It's disgusting how ignorant the vast majority of the population is when it comes to the meat industry.

Kevster

Quote UnibrowSmith View Post
    I don't try to convert people or force them to be vegans, but if you question why I am one...I'll tell you the reasons.
    Indeed, i take that line at work especially.

"We're at the top of the food chain...we're MEANT to eat animals!"
    To that stupid question i answer :

we are not anymore in the food chain. Because we live in super-cities, we drive car, we have supermarket... So there are no more reason to act like if we were in the food chain.
    If you want to be in the food chain, go in the jungle, and try to catch an animals with your hand !