Thread: Royal icing or fondant icing

Question Royal icing or fondant icing

Has anyone tried to make these icings using egg replacer? Otherwise does anyone have a recipe for vegan fondant icing? I've made a cake for my parent in laws 50th wedding anniversary and want to do a really fancy top for it.

Default Re: Royal icing or fondant icing

i've never tried to make any of these, so i can't offer any tried and tested adveice. but there is a vegan recipe on this site: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quick-P...ng/Detail.aspx
    Piggy

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

can you let us know if it works out ok if you try it?

Hi Pansypuss, don't know if it's available in Norway but in the UK you can buy Tate and Lyle Fondant Icing Sugar which you just add water to. The ingredients are: Icing sugar, dried glucose syrup. Hope that helps
    here comes the sun

I know Cherry posted last year that Supercook confirmed their ready to roll fondant icing is vegan (always possible they've changed the ingredients since last summer tho' ), but I don't know if it's available in Norway
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

I have seen a fondant icing over here but to tell the truth, the one time I bought the stuff (in UK) I thought it had a yukky taste and decided never to use it again! I always made it after that and it was very good (pre vegan so egg whites in it). I'm going to try the recipe from the net as I have all the ingredients. I'll let you know how it goes. I'll be icing at the week end!

I hate the prepacked fondant too. I normally just use icing sugar and water to mimic royal icing on my cakes.

This is my mother's recipe for making icing for Christmas cakes - I haven't tried making it but the results seem pretty good to me (it's softish so you don't crack your teeth like with royal icing ). Sorry the quantity of margarine is a bit approximate; I just checked and she suggests starting with a dessert spoonful and adding more if necessary to make a mixture that's spreadable but not runny.

SOFT ICING
    About 12 oz sieved icing sugar
    a small piece of vegan dairyfree margarine
    juice of half a lemon
    2 drops of vanilla essence

Mix the ingredients together to obtain a stiff, not runny mixture, that can be spread over the whole cake by hand and/or with a spatula (dipped in hot water if necessary, and dried) to give a spiky or a smooth surface, as required.

I did a test run on the recipe from the net and it wasn't good. It went crystalline and rock hard. Possibly I did something wrong, don't feel like risking it though. I tried using the egg replacer (it says on the back about using it to replace egg white) and some light corn syrup and substituted these for the egg white and liquid glucose in my old recipe. It turned out really well. Tastes good and was soft and pliable. A little difficult to handle but then that's a homemade fondant icing problem. I shall be making a big batch on Tuesday ready to take the cake to UK on Friday. Keep your fingers crossed that it all goes well!

i dont ice big cakes, except with a soft frosting - so i guess fondant is my favourite. i dont like hard, crunchy icing like on traditional uk christmas cake.

Did a google search for vegan fondant icing and this thread popped up. I saw some pics of cupcakes on the VCTOTW flickr pool and they look amazing, I want to make some. Might try the recipes suggested in this thread. Problem is I also need to get some vegan colourings.

You never know what might be "accidentally" vegan at your grocery store. If you can't find anything, maybe a health food store?

Yeah, I've had a lil look around, I think most of the ones in supermarkets are 'Queen' brand and aren't vegan. Might check the online listing, just in case!

Was going to maybe use a drop of different vegetable juices (carrot, beetroot, spinach) to add some colour. Bf made a screwed up yuck face