Thread: Vegan Barfi

Default Vegan Barfi

I got a book for the children out of the library called "Hindu Festivals Cookebook". All the recipes are vegetarian and some vegan or easily veganized. This is the version of barfi that I made:

120g agave syrup
    120g peanut butter
    80g chopped dates
    85g soya milk powder (you can get this from veganstore)

It also suggested using coconut and rosewater to roll in but the kids weren't keen on this plus don't generally keep rosewater!

Mix ingredients together using your hands and roll into balls. Stick in fridge. Eat.
    Very easy recipe, good for kids and full of protein. My elder daughter doesn't like peanutbutter but loved this! It reminds me of halva or the inside of ye olde marathon bar.
    I recon you could cover in chocolate to make something simular. I also recon you could use other types of nut butter.

Default Re: Vegan Barfi

does this taste anything like dairy barfi? cos I used to love that stuff when I was little, as my family's Kashmiri so it was the real stuff, and I had given up hope of ever finding any similar vegan version. I tried making some from cashew nuts once but the texture wasn't right, its meant to be quite solid but creamy too. Thanks for this recipe I might give it a go
    "On the dance-floor I am a world class freak... Its the beat"

Default Re: Vegan Barfi

I've not tried the dairy version before so I don't know, sorry. It says in the book that Barfi is usually made by boiling milk and sugar but this is a simpified version as it's aimed at children. So you may not get the very creamy taste you're after. Still yummy, though!