Thread: The Unbearable Lightness of Being Vegan [Today & In The Future]

Default The Unbearable Lightness of Being Vegan [Today & In The Future]

We all know that there's a better selection of non-vegan meals in non-vegan restaurants. We also know that being invited over to dinner with non-vegan friends who don't know anything about vegan cooking most likely means that we won't get a 5 course, vegan gourmet meal there.

Still, being vegan is a lot easier than it was a few decades ago.

Some people feel that it's hard to be a vegan (since relatively few people are vegans) - and some may forget that if they avoid being asking for vegan meals in restaurants etc. now, this means that in 10 or 20 years from now, it will be a lot more difficult to get a decent vegan meal at restaurants than it would have been if all the vegans (and vegetarians who are lacto-vegetarians, but would have been vegans if it was 'easier') would actually ask for vegan meals and vegan products today.

Like someone said, "The best way to predict the future is to invent it". If all the lacto-vegetarians I've met over the years would not have been accepting meals with cheese, butter, eggs and cream in restaurants and cafes, all these places would have been a lot more vegan-friendly today. They'd like to become vegans if it was easier, but a main reason for the possible difficult-ness is that these people accept animal products in vegetarian and other restaurants! It's pretty clear that if vegans and pro-vegan lacto-vegetarians won't ask for vegan meals and products today, the likelyhood that these meals and products will be available in the future will decrease.

Veganism isn't only about what we eat, and definitely not only about what we eat at restaurants an cafes, so I thought I should start a little list about all the things that are easier now than it was before - in terms of being a vegan.

1) A lot more people know what the word 'vegan' means.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: The Unbearable Lightness of Being Vegan [Today & In The Future]

Quote Korn View Post

Like someone said, "The best way to predict the future is to invent it". If all the lacto-vegetarians I've met over the years would not have been accepting meals with cheese, butter, eggs and cream in restaurants and cafes, all these places would have been a lot more vegan-friendly today. They'd like to become vegans if it was easier, but a main reason for the possible difficult-ness is that these people accept animal products in vegetarian and other restaurants! It's pretty clear that if vegans and pro-vegan lacto-vegetarians won't ask for vegan meals and products today, the likelyhood that these meals and products will be available in the future will decrease.
    I couldn't agree more! It's unfortunate that sometimes they (lactos/ovos/lacto-ovos, etc.) rationalise their accepting the non-vegan meals is because they don't want to offend those who are serving them. Nobody dies from being refused the dishes they serve. It's not the end of the world. Obviously, if people truly stood for their vegan/pro-vegan morals/ethics than not only would the non-vegan products likely decrease, but those wanting/interested in becoming vegan will be less likely to be overwhelmed.

Quote Korn View Post
    Veganism isn't only about what we eat, and definitely not only about what we eat at restaurants an cafes, so I thought I should start a little list about all the things that are easier now than it was before - in terms of being a vegan.
    Absolutely! Veganism indeed isn't only about what we eat.

I like the idea of starting a list. Though I believe there may already be a thread similar to that.

Default don't be shy

When we eat out it's our money; let's get what we want. Companions are often surprised at the ease with which I order off the menu. A scan of the 'served with' under the meaty dishes brings a wider range of options. Having a five year old diner does inspire a bit of creativity! Last week she had the lemon sorbet off one dessert with the raspberries from another ....and it sounded so good one more of our party ordered the same. In fact I have been known to waltz into kitchens to see the chef -not forgetting to peek in again for a thank you after the meal!
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

1) A lot more people know what the word 'vegan' means.
    2) Access to internet makes it a lot easier then ever to connect with other vegans.

Quote Pisces View Post
    I couldn't agree more! It's unfortunate that sometimes they (lactos/ovos/lacto-ovos, etc.) rationalise their accepting the non-vegan meals is because they don't want to offend those who are serving them. Nobody dies from being refused the dishes they serve. It's not the end of the world. Obviously, if people truly stood for their vegan/pro-vegan morals/ethics than not only would the non-vegan products likely decrease, but those wanting/interested in becoming vegan will be less likely to be overwhelmed.
    The interesting thing about people living on a lacto-vegetarian diet (I've been there myself) is that almost none of these people advocate use of eggs or dairy products. Lots of them actually want to go vegan or at least move towards a vegan diet, and fail to see that their lacto-vegetarianism is a main reason that especially many vegetarian restaurants still aren't as vegan friendly as they would want them to be.

When I wrote 'accepting meals...' etc., I didn't think of refusing meals, but about asking for vegan meals, or comment that these options are missing on their menu, as opposed to accept that some vegetarian restaurants mainly offer lacto-veg meals, and order these dishes because they are the only options on the menu. That would help a lot in the long run, because restaurants are in general willing to serve people what they want. Even non-veg restaurants would benefit from having vegan means on the menu, since these can be eaten by lacto-vegetarians, vegans, people with lactose intolerance or milk allergy also.

Quote Korn View Post
    3. It's much easier to buy vegan cosmetics/household products and the range has widened.

You could only buy them in heathfood shops once, now they are available in ordinary shops and supermarkets.

4. There is now a very good range of vegan footwear.

When I first became vegan all that was available were things like plastic shoes and canvas baseball boots.

5. Lots more vegan chocolate

6) Vegan literature is now easily available. Searching for the word 'vegan' at Amazon.com currently shows matches in more than 7,000 books.

7) lots of food is labeled as to whether it is suitable for vegans now ... big improvement, esp. as non-vegans get confronted with the word when they buy food, can only hope it will cause some to wonder what it means and start questioning what they eat!

8) There are lots more vegan friendly skin-care and cosmetic products available through vegan-friendly companies.

There is now a vegan running club...vegan runners uk
    I wanna live til I die, no more, no less... Eddie Izzard

I wanna live til I die, no more, no less... Eddie Izzard

There is now a vegan running club...vegan runners uk
    That may influence the lightness (weight) of vegans, but maybe not the general lightness (easiness) of being vegan?

Here's another one:

Due to the increased number of non-Western immigrants in Western countries, certain food stuff popular amongst many vegans - like Indian spices, tofu, seitan, tahini, various plant 'milks' etc. - are much more available than before. (These aren't actually vegan 'speciality foods', but often used by vegans and other vegetarians.)

another one.. by being vegan..around non vegans it raises awareness and causes people to question what they buy/consume. plenty of people around me have started to question themselves even without changing their eating/buying habits..so i see that as good
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

9) Vegan cakes turn out so much better than they used to .

When i became vegan many moons ago i remember making a sponge cake. It was awful so i didnt bake for 10 years. There are so many great books out now and most of the time they turn out fantastic.

10) veganism is not a "wierd lesbian feminist animal right activist thing" (as if that would be bad), but a healthy, natural lifestyle, in which a lot of people believe. which makes it spread around. wuhuuuu

When I went Vegan I was worried about alienating people. In reality I've met some amazing people because I've gone Vegan. So there it is... Don't worry about being lonely.

12) There is greater awareness of the health risks associated with dairy products. When you tell people you're vegan, rather than saying "what's that? How unhealthy! How do you get your calcium!?" some now say "Oh, how interesting. I'm trying to cut down on dairy myself."

vegan chocolate is lush! green & black's dark chocolate is vegan and very nice. even better is green & black's dark chocolate with orange and spices yum yum!
    xxxvegan 4 lifexxx
    Life Is What You Make It

Is that an oblique Milan Kundera reference in the title Korn?

As a fairly young vegan (2 going 3 years) I can't really claim to know that much about the improvements except from talking to my mother (was vegan, but lapsed when pregnant with my older brother) , so

14) The ease of availability of soya, as well as improvements upon taste.

15) That after a month or so (knowing what I could and couldn't eat) I could do my shop in a supermarket and buy 99% of everything I needed there.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

16. The BBC website, one of the most used internet sites, has oodles of vegan info and recipies http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/vegetarian_and_vegan/ ... the web didn't exist when I went vegan!
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.

Russ

Troo ... having being an iVegan from the 'get-go' I can't imagine how it must have been decades ago ... these daze it seems almost TOO EASY given 'our' penetration into mainstream society and the fact that you can find almost anything just by searching on yer googles ... I think this year has been the first when I've gone for days without even -thinking- about veganism (eh, before I 'FULLY' made a comeback here I guess) ... which kind of goes to show that the lifestyle is at least extremely 'manageable' ..

[ FYI: some of the posts from this thread has been moved over here:
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...459#post421459 ]

Quote aubergine View Post
    When I went Vegan I was worried about alienating people. In reality I've met some amazing people because I've gone Vegan. So there it is... Don't worry about being lonely.

No forum when I went vegan - these days it does feel a bit like being vegan lets you into a club where some of the best peeps you could ever wish to meet hang out!
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.

Too true VeganLinda!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Search engines like Google have made life as a vegan a lot easier, and today I discovered something new...

I googled the words vegan and London. One of the top matches was "Local business results for vegan near London, UK", which showed a map, right there in the main list of found results. On this map the first ten (out of 696) hits were shown with a pin, and in the list next to the map, the telephone number and website for the vegan eatery was shown.

When I clicked on the map, I was taken to another, larger map (with a list in the left margin of the 696 vegan relevant places in London). Clicking on each of the places on this larger map brought up this info:

I tried the same with vegan Bristol and vegan Boston, and lots of places came up, with maps, detailed instructions about how to get there, phone numbers, pictures and all.

Mmmm and I can recommend eating at 222!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I had to get over my embaresment factor in resturants/supermarkets/clothing stores, now I don't care I'll ask anyone about ingredients and contents, you have to take the rough with the smooth some people are sarcastic others are geniunly interested and that spark of interest is worth all the bad ones!!

17: http://www.theppk.com/ Some of the best vegan cook books published!!

18: Festivals serving all vegan food (helping my boyfriend ween off the cheese and milk!! Soya chai tea rules)
    Dancing in circles on the kitchen floor