Thread: Vegan Tablet?

Default Vegan Tablet?

Does anyone know if it is possible to make vegan tablet? I don't know if there is anything out there that could be substituted for the condensed milk.

I've been craving tablet something awful since my pals mum made a big batch of regular tablet last week.

Default Re: Vegan Tablet?

what's tablet?

i was wondering about condensed milk too, actually, cos i really fancied making banoffe pie, but couldn't work out how i'd replace the condensed milk.

amanda

We were discussing this a while back Purplerose http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...ghlight=tablet

and I couldn't think of a substitute for condensed milk either. I bet it's possible (soy milk powder made up with not much water and a lot of sugar?) but a bit of experimentation would probably be necessary.

Please let me know if you find a solution - I was brought up in Scotland and used to like tablet too.

Quote harpy View Post
    I bet it's possible (soy milk powder made up with not much water and a lot of sugar?) but a bit of experimentation would probably be necessary.
    I've played about a fair amount with this (with the view to make dulce de leche), but come to the conclusion that whatever liquid you use, what you're really trying to replace is the lactose.

Sucrose is a sugar, but it is not a reducing sugar like lactose. When you heat sucrose you get caramelisation, when you heat lactose you get a Maillard reaction.

Directly replacing lactose with sucrose in a recipe that already has sucrose in it you're effectively just increasing the amount of sucrose used and making toffee.

Apparently (not tried) glucose is a reducing sugar so can be used with an amino acid in a Maillard reaction, however it's the amino acid that is responsible for the resulting flavour, and I've no idea which amino acid is in milk or how to replace that.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

That's a shame - sounds as if we need synthetic lactose, but perhaps that would be going a bit far

What about using malt extract? Maltose is a reducing sugar, too. Would that work? Or would it taste too malty?

Quote flying plum View Post
    what's tablet?

i was wondering about condensed milk too, actually, cos i really fancied making banoffe pie, but couldn't work out how i'd replace the condensed milk.

amanda
    basically it's sugar, condensed milk, butter and water - there's a pic here http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...cottishtablet/

It's probably one of the most fattening, teeth rotting things you could ever eat but it is lovely regardless.

I love tablet and miss it from my younger days.. I'm scottish too so I know what you're on about.

I've been trying to veganize it for a while, with no luck.
    I found a few recipes for making vegan versions of condensed milk. I think I found one that simply uses silken tofu & maple syrup - easy! Try and master that [making vegan condensed milk] then use it in your tablet recipe :]

It MIGHT just work. Let me know if it does cos I've not gotten round to trying it again.

Ah yes, here is a very simple recipe I used to make vegan condensed milk:

vegan condensed milk:
    90ml silken tofu [the very soft kind]
    60ml maple syrup

method:
    hand blend until very smooth

EASY AS VEGAN PIE! so for every 90ml of tofu, use 60ml of maple syrup or other sweetener of your choice. Store in the fridge, and use as you would condensed milk in your recipe.

At the Vegan Festival on Sunday there was a stall selling fudge which is crunchy and a bit like tablet. Frankly it's so sweet it sets my teeth on edge, but perhaps that's what tablet was like? I can't really remember now.

Unfortunately they didn't put the ingredients on the packet but I'd say it's made with sugar mostly

Anyway it was made by these people if anyone would like to investigate

http://www.veganvolumes.co.uk/