Thread: Sea Kelp

Default Sea Kelp

I got some of this at the store and was wondering what the purpose of the stuff is and how much to add to receive the benefit. Anyone know or have a good link for me?

Thank you.

i've just started eating more seaweed because it's meant to provide iodine which can help maintain a healthy thyroid gland.

have a look at http://www.vegansociety.com/html/foo...ion/iodine.php

this may also be of interest: www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/seaveg.htm

you only need a small amount, as too much can be harmful. i've just been adding a little bit of kelp powder to stews, stir-fries etc. and a few strands of hijiki every now and again.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Thank you for the information and links, Gorilla.

May I ask what you consider a small amount? 1/4 tsp., possibly?

15g per year of kelp is apparently the recommended amount. i have read that if you are starting taking iodine, small but regular amounts are best, at least once a week if possible. taking large amounts after a long period of low intake can cause health problems. i try to put about a quarter of a teaspoon of kelp powder per serving if i'm making a stew or soup, more than that and it starts to taste quite seaweedy which is ok if you like it, but i'm not too keen.

i'm not using hijiki as much now as i read that it can contain high levels of mercury, but i don't know if that's just another food health scare story. the kelp powder is ok at the moment, it goes a long way as you don't need to use very much. you could sprinkle a little on the top of food instead of using salt, as it has a slightly salty taste, and it could be an interesting 'herb' for cooking with too.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

its good if youre making mock tuna
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

speaking of iodine, is sea salt with iodine better than without?
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I read somewhere that vegans tend to be a little low on iodine. The reason was a greater tendency amongst vegans to use sea salt rather than mined salt, and most sea salt isn't fortified with iodine. I'd buy the salt with iodine, but you might see if someone with a clue responds, too.
    No Gods, No Masters.

I like to snack on raw laver. Laver is another sea vegetable that we have in the Atlantic. I recommend it if you have a taste for the ocean like I do.