Thread: prob. w/neti washing

Yogini

Default prob. w/neti washing

I bought a neti pot last year about this time and found it extremely helpful in controlling my spring allergies. However, the last two times I've used it, it was so uncomfortable I couldn't finish - I've never had problems like this before. It's a horrible burning - not as in the water's too hot burning, but my nasal passages seem to have become too sensitive to handle it.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Default Re: prob. w/neti washing

I have never used one, so I'm just offering a few guesses. Did you change the brand of salt you used? Did you use a different concentration of salt? Did you not rinse it well after cleaning, leaving behind some soap residue that would sting? Has someone in your house used it for some other purpose?

Those are just some things to consider. I am thinking about getting a neti pot, so I'm very interested in your answer.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

Yogini

I'm wondering it it's because the last two times I tried, I omitted the salt. My 1/4 tsp spoon was dirty, I was too lazy to wash it, and I thought no salt at all would be better than accidentally adding too much salt. Maybe I was completely wrong - the salinity might be necessary. I'll try again when I get home this evening. This time with salt.

That could be it. If your water doesn't have enough minerals, it could lead to problems with electolyte balance in the cells of your nasal lining. That could be causing the irritation.

Let us know what happens.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

Yogini

Today I used the salt. Much better. Lesson learned: just water in your nose is no good. Saltwater is very good.