Thread: Natural cough remedies

Default Natural cough remedies

For the last couple of weeks I have had a terrible cough. I went to the GP who told me that I had had the flu and that the cough was going to go on for a while now. I seem to be quite OK during the day but each morning I wake up with a hacking cough and then each evening when I lie down it starts again, goes off a bit and then recently I have been waking up in the night coughing...I have never smoked although to hear me you would think I was on 60 a day!!!
    If anybody knows of anything particularly soothing I would be really grateful.

Default Re: Natural cough remedies

Quote auntierozzi View Post
    For the last couple of weeks I have had a terrible cough. I went to the GP who told me that I had had the flu and that the cough was going to go on for a while now. I seem to be quite OK during the day but each morning I wake up with a hacking cough and then each evening when I lie down it starts again, goes off a bit and then recently I have been waking up in the night coughing...I have never smoked although to hear me you would think I was on 60 a day!!!
    If anybody knows of anything particularly soothing I would be really grateful.
    Dear Auntie, I am sorry to hear you have been so ill. I do sympathise as I have had something similar. I coughed so much I almost vomited a few times. I bruised my chest and stomach muscles badly.
    It was made worse as I had builders in my home for weeks and the dust got everywhere.
    I suggest you get some olbas oil and put it in an aromatherapy burner with water, also put some menthol crystals in. Keep it on as much as you can and the vapour will help you breathe.
    There are some generic cough medicines which will not have been tested on animals, but I am not sure if you would want those.
    If you have a temperature you could choose to take paracetamol, it will bring it down.
    A soothing drink can be made by boiling water, adding lemon juice, sugar or apple concentrate, and ginger, drink as much of this as you can.
    Spicy food with chilli in such as curry will clear the snot off your lungs and help you breathe.
    If you start coughing up snot with blood in, or brown or green snot, go back to the doctor. If your snot is clear, you are on the mend.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

white horehound is a pretty good throat/cough remedy as far as i can remember - consult a herbalist first though or health food store for stock of some ready made lozenges??

yes essential oils are good, try a little of eucalyptus in a burner for general airways healing...or lavender which is gentler....try a drop of tea tree or euc or lav in a bowl of boiling water and inhale with a towel over your head?

get better soon

Poor you, Auntie. If your cough is dragging on and is worse when lying down, you might be all bunged up with mucus and/or have a chest infection. Much as I hate anti-biotics, it might be worth you taking a course. Hope you feel better soon.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks for sympathy and advice. I've found a spray with essential oils in to put on my pillow and I will do a steaming inhalation with oils too.
    I hope you are fully recovered Herbwormwood. It's awful the way a cough can really strain your muscles isn't it? I will try and find out about white horehound. I'm not too keen on anti-biotics and the GP didn't prescribe them so I'm probably on the mend, hope so!
    Thanks again.

i don't usually get coughs so i don't have any advice really but i hope you feel better soon auntierozzi.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Thanks Gorilla