Thread: TEFL in Prague

Lightbulb TEFL in Prague

On this website that I was introduced to---I found something that I would be able to do, which will enable me to be in and (hopefully) be a "foot in the door" for me to live in Europe---and at least be out of the states.

Each program lasts 4 weeks, but it is said that you will be assisted and be offered many other job placements over the world. It's something I definitely wouldn't mind doing and may even enjoy. In the past (and even present sometimes) I've assisted others with German-related work, since I'm relatively proficient in the language.

However, since it would be in the Czech Republic, I will be teaching English to native speakers of another language. Considering my interest in learning other languages, this could potentially open a few opportunities for me. The additional helpful aspects are that the costs (at least the cost of living) are 1/3 of that in the states, a degree is not required, and previous teaching experience is not required. Additionally, I've found places (via Happy Cow) that I'd be able to get my necessities (food, etc.). On top of that, upon completion, I'd get a certificate, which will certify me to teach English as a foreign language all over the world.

I believe this is seriously something I should make a priority, as it may help me achieve my goal.

Here's the link.

http://jobs.escapeartist.com/J-2000244/

Default Re: TEFL in Prague

It sounds like a great opportunity Pisces. I hope it all works out for you

Hi Pisces!
    Please be very careful before you commit yourself to anything. I can say with almost 100% certainty that this school will not sort out the relevant paperwork for you as regards your right as a US citizen to work in the EU, this is something you would have to do before you go. Although I have not taught TEFL since 2001, I've been keeping a vague eye on TEFL teaching sites (try TEFL.com, TEFL.net, Dave Sperlings EFL Cafe for ideas, forums and info), but my impression is that a lot of "cowboy" schools have sprung up, taking a lot of money from people but not giving a good standard at the end of the day. There are also a host of low-cost online courses, but here you are not getting classroom teaching experience, which is essential!!! and many schools will not hire you with this kind of certificate. I would recommend you get either the Trinity or the RSA certificate, as these as are the most internationally recognised. Be aware too that depending on where you want to teach, many schools will require a degree. Other countries (for example China) may even take you with no certificate at all, but I think the pay is consequently lower. Please check things out thoroughly before you go and join some of the TEFL forums to get a feel of the job market before you commit to anything; I hope I didn't rain on your parade but many teachers get exploited and I wouldn't like that to happen to you. Good luck!!!

I'm thinking of doing this too. I'm a TEFL teacher but in my own country -Australia. I love my job but would like to travel and work a bit. Fortunately, I have an EU passport because of ancestry but do I really need the Trinity/RSA? I have a qualification much higher than that from an Australian university but am worried that EU employers will insist on that expensive qual.

Quote fiamma View Post
    Please check things out thoroughly before you go and join some of the TEFL forums to get a feel of the job market before you commit to anything; I hope I didn't rain on your parade but many teachers get exploited and I wouldn't like that to happen to you. Good luck!!!
    Thank you, fiamma. As well, rest assured, you didn't rain on my parade at all. I appreciate your having my best interest at heart. I'm also persuing an au pair route. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to do it in the UK, but there are other European countries, which I could. In fact (fingers crossed), I heard from a German family yesterday who expressed interest in me. I replied instantly. Hopefully I'll hear from them soon.

Insubordination if you have a TEFL qualification and teaching experience I'm sure plenty of EU employers would accept that in lieu of the RSA/Trinity. At the end of the day it comes down to how well you can teach your students, I'm sure you could sound out various employers and hear what they think before you leave Australia. I'm sure you could offer to teach some classes and get them to observe you if they're any way worried about your qualification, but I think the main requisites are a TEFL qualification and classroom experience; in your position I wouldn't worry.

Thanks for the tip Fiamma. Now I just have to get some savings behind me and decide on the country. It will be a shame to quit my job here but it would be a bigger shame to let life pass me by without the experiences I crave. I'm already 31.