View Poll Results: London: tell us which vegan cafes and restaurants you really like

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • VitaOrganic

9 16.67%
  • Maoz

10 18.52%
  • RedVeg

18 33.33%
  • Mildred's

16 29.63%
  • Veg Veg - 6 Kentish Town Road, Camden

1 1.85%
  • Govindas

10 18.52%

20 37.04%
  • Eat And Two Veg

4 7.41%
  • Beatroot

10 18.52%
  • Spirited Palace

1 1.85%
  • Pepperton UK

3 5.56%
  • The Gate

3 5.56%
  • Neal's Yard Cafe

6 11.11%
  • Kastoori

0 0%
  • Mantras (on Dean Street, Soho)

2 3.70%
  • CTV - 22 Golders Green Road

0 0%
  • Tai Buffet - 10 Greek Street, Soho

5 9.26%
  • Veg (Shan Tung Style) 11 Greek Street, Soho

0 0%
  • Joi Buffet - 14 Percy Street, (off Tottenham Court Road)

1 1.85%
  • Wai - 32 Goodge Street

0 0%
  • Tai Veg (various locations)

3 5.56%
  • Ravi Shankar - in Drummond St behind Euston station

1 1.85%
  • Diwana Bel-Poori House - also in Drummond St

4 7.41%
  • Woodlands in Panton Street etc (a small chain)

2 3.70%
  • Manna

3 5.56%
  • Pogo, Hackney

14 25.93%
  • Peking Palace, Archway

6 11.11%
  • Riverside Vegetaria, 64 High Street, Kingston

6 11.11%
  • Saf (added December-08)

3 5.56%
  • Vanilla Black (added December-08)

0 0%
  • Chutney's in Drummond St (added July-09)

1 1.85%
  • Rootmaster (added August-09)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: London 2007-2009: Vegan cafes and restaurants you really like?

Default London 2007-2009: Vegan cafes and restaurants you really like?

What are your favorite vegan cafes / restaurants in London?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: London: Favorite vegan cafes / restaurants in 2007?

You forgot Bonnington Cafe in Vauxhall, they have Vegan nights on wednesdays and it's all Vegetarian the rest of the week.

i can't vote on any of these, not having been to any of them. but i will go "ooooh, aren't you london lot spoilt for choice"..naff all like that round here, what with this being the grim north etc etc
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Amazing the choce they have hey Emma?

The only one I know is Mildred's and I went there when I was still very much a meat eater. I figure if their food can satisfy a committed carnivore then it must be something special.

My sister is a regular there now that she lives in London. It is a very nice little restaurant and we have always found the service to be good. Mind you, we always dine early, before the rush.

Surely this would work better if people could only have one choice? I've been to 9 on the list, do I just vote for all of them? By not voting for something it makes it just look like I've not been there, as opposed to thinking it's crap.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I'd rather not have to pick one favourite - I just voted for the few I really like.

(It asks for our favourites so I'm not sure why you would think you should vote for every one you've been to Mr F. I've been to 20 of them and I'm sure some people have been to them all!)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Default Re: London 2007: Vegan cafes / restaurants you really like?

Good point, Marrers - I just changed the title/question.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Quote emmapresley View Post
    i can't vote on any of these, not having been to any of them. but i will go "ooooh, aren't you london lot spoilt for choice"..naff all like that round here, what with this being the grim north etc etc
    It can be grim dahn sarf sometimes as well. There are no exclusively vegetarian eating places in my town at all and very few vegan options available in ordinary restaurants either. I have to go to Brighton to get a guaranteed decent vegan meal.

It's been a long time since I've eaten out in London, I try to keep away from the place if possible, but I did get good food in Neal's Yard. I've heard very good things about the Pogo Cafe, so next time I'm forced to go to London I'll give the place a try. Presumably Red Veg do the same menu in both Brighton and London and I've eaten in the Brighton one many times and I love their vegan hotdogs with caramelised onions.

Kevster

Sounds interesting....

http://www.bonningtoncafe.co.uk/

RebeccaDye

Govinda's

re:bonningtons - do they have a vegan/veganisable option when it's not vegan night?

amanda

I think it is a bit hit and miss, at least it has been when I've been there. And there isn't much choice in the menu, maybe two options and no certainty that one will be vegan - unless things have changed there (which they may have done now the chefs rota is online and you can contact them) but I found it a bit 'this is what we are cooking tonight, like it or lump it'!

I'd advise checking with the chef in advance.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Peking Palace is brilliant, i went there on Saturday
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Marrers View Post
    I think it is a bit hit and miss, at least it has been when I've been there. And there isn't much choice in the menu, maybe two options and no certainty that one will be vegan - unless things have changed there (which they may have done now the chefs rota is online and you can contact them) but I found it a bit 'this is what we are cooking tonight, like it or lump it'!

I'd advise checking with the chef in advance.

that's what i figured. have wanted to go there for a while - it came highly recommended to me - but i didn't want to get there and not be able to eat anything

amanda

BlackCats

I've been to Red Veg, 222 and Mildred's.
    I think I like Red Veg the best ha ha. I'm so classy!

hehe redveg is pretty darn cool though. Makes fast food accessible to us. Not necessarily healthy, but certainly less unhealthy than some fast food chains...

You still haven't tried pogo? we're so gonna have to meet up and go there.

BlackCats

I know, I really want to try Eat and Two Veg as well.
    I can't believe there are so many, I must walk around London with my eyes closed.

awh yeah eat and two veg is great as well. Brilliant burgers for when you have more money than for redveg. The soya chicken style skewers with satay dip are nice. Ooh and chinese dumplings as well. yummers.

i still want to try Pogo and Eat & Two Veg as well, but never seem to get round to going
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I've been to Mildreds three times and like it a lot. I really want to try 222 and Pogo too next time I'm in London.
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Over Fri and Sat i managed to visit Beatroot for Fri lunch, Mildreds for a late dinner - how crowded is that place on a Fri but wonderful food and then 222 on Sat lunch all totally wonderful!

I have still to try eat and 2 vege and Peking palace and Pogo and im sure a few others....London is so cool for vegan food didnt get chance to take veggie frined who ate vegan at all meals to red vege - next time!

Use to like the Tai buffets but not since the amount of sugar and msg seems to of increased!

doesn't seem to be on the list, but place i went to the other day for trhe first time in streatham called 'whole food cafe' was really good. lovely little airy cafe, particularly for where it is on the high street! (shrubbery road, just before the barclays right down the end of the high road). just popped in for a coffee while boyfriend was faffing in the bank, as it's in my little book of veggie restaurants and had been meaning to go for a while. ended up having very tasty fruit crumble with soya custard (and having to fight boyfriend for it, after he decided to see what 'this soya stuff tastes like then' and deciding it wasn't too bad *l*).

maybe not my favourite place (yet), but certainly worth checking out for anyone in the area. they also do some lunchtime deal, main and a fruit smoothie, but i'm not sure how much of those are vegan. but both the specials the day i was there were vegan.

amanda

Vita Organic is my favourite by miles.
    The things that we fear the most have already happened to us...

Quote flying plum View Post
    . . . in streatham called 'whole food cafe'
    It's actually called Wholemeal Cafe. That place reminds me of how Cranks was back in the day! I wouldn't say it is all that great for vegan choice as the menu is quite limited and not very exciting IMO. I've had some nice food in there but it really depends on whether the special is vegan as well as to your liking on the day you go. If my memory serves me well I don't think the cakes are ever vegan - I may be wrong but I've never been able to get cake in there when I've been.
    If you are in the area though there is certainly nowhere else to go!

ETA Here is the menu. Shame they don't mark what is vegan. http://www.wholemealcafe.com/menu.php

my apologies, you are indeed correct! not sure about cakes, but the crumble was deffo vegan.

it definately is 'old style' veggie food, lots of bean stews and things, but it was a nice thing to be able to get crumble and custard somewhere that wasn't my kitchen!

amanda

BlackCats

I tried Mildred's again today. I had a very unadventurous choice of veggie burger but it was very nice.

(I tried the cake from Beatroot and I wasn't overly impressed.)

Its the choc crispie cakes at beatroots i reckon are the best!

Govinda's is amazing. They have such wonderful food there it makes me glad to be alive. You do have to tell them you're vegan though...

What and where is Mildrids?

BlackCats

Humansituation - Mildred's is on Lexington Street in Soho, it is a little more expensive and more of a sit down place rather than a cafe. They do things like burgers, soup, burritos, asian stir fry dishes and desserts.

I will have to try Govinda's - what type of dishes do they serve?

Govinda's is a Hare Krishna restaurant, they do delicious indian food, none of which is too hot. What I usually ask for is a small vegan thali which is usually enough (Ģ4.95) for which you are given rice, salad, dahl, curry and a poppadom/roll or they have an all you can eat thali for about seven pounds. Their dahl is amazing and each dish is beautifully spiced. It's making me really hungry thinking about it. I'm going to go an look in my miserable fridge...

x

pavotrouge

I've only eaten at four or five of the listed places, but have to agree that Govinda's is one of the best!

The Peking Palace is also amazing

Govinda's is gooo-ood! I love that place. Any place that satisfies Jo's mum (and even makes her suggest we go back) gets a thumbs up in my opinion.

I must try the Peking Palace. It looks good. Is it 100% vegan?

pavotrouge

I think so.
    The only unvegan thing they offered was G&B chocolate, and of course they also had the vegan one.

Their mock meats are stunning and even fooled an omni friend I brought

Is there a Vegan Chinese buffet or restaraunt that has more vegetable based stuff? I found Tai in Soho to be dominated by mock meats.

This is the reason I used to prefer Sasa just a bit further along - before they started serving real meat. So now I prefer GiGi Hut, 339 Euston Road. They do a lovely dish with aubergine in! And a nice curry. I think it is the best one of the buffet places, would be interested to know what others think.

(It's between Warren Street tube and Great Portland Street tube, tho Warren Street is nearest. Euston is also quite close. Don't go in to any others by mistake - there are a couple along the same stretch including a Tai which I haven't tried.) Map here http://www.192.com/local/CAMDEN,_LON...CE2346F1D29084

marrers - have you seen the little health food place that's just behind warren street tube station? they do loads of cheap vegan curries, some cakes, and lots of pre-made sandwiches and stuff. good for impoverished students like me

amanda

I miss Sasa waaaaah!

That little health food centre behind warren street tube is really good i got something like 2 vegan sos sarnies for Ģ3 and they have great curries all so cheap!

I must try peking palace sounds good - never ventured there if on my own as dont know the area? does it do a buffet or anything like lunchtimes....no plans to be in London til i go to the King Tut exhibition next Feb but will be thinking mildreds and 222 then should try a new place!

pavotrouge

according to the website, they also do a buffet.

http://www.thepekingpalace.com/

Quote flying plum View Post
    marrers - have you seen the little health food place that's just behind warren street tube station?
    Yes I used to use that little health food shop all the time before there was anything else in the area. Hardly ever go there now though, I prefer Gi Gi Hut.

I love Red veg!! So delicious and naughty. I love the mushroom burger (made vegan). Beatroot is devine!! Love Manna as a little treat (if my partners wallet's feeling a bit loose!). London is a great place to live as a vegan x x

Thumbs up Re: London 2007: Vegan cafes / restaurants you really like?

Definitely our favourite vegan restaurant is 222 . We stumbled across it quite by chance on the way home from somewhere with our two starving children. I couldn't believe our luck when I suddenly saw the sign - vegan restaurant. We ran in, just 5 minutes before closing time after lunch and yet we still had a warm welcome and the full selection of the wonderful buffet lunch. Ben, who owns and runs it, is a warm, gentle man who was genuinely delighted to see our children enjoying his healthy and nutritious food.

We have been back many times and it's always wonderful. However, be warned... at lunchtimes the combination of excellent value for money and delicious food means that it can be pretty full, especially if there's a conference or seminar at the nearby hotel. But if you have it wait - it'll still be worth it.

Mmmmm im a huge fan of Mildreds (having our wedding reception there in May!), Pogo, 222, the angel Tai Buffet, and beatroot.

rootmaster (veg caravan in Bricklane), peking palace, vitaorganic are all pretty yummy too!

Default Re: London 2007/2008: Vegan cafes and restaurants you really like?

My daughter will be in London tomorrow near to Liverpool st and the Millennium Tower..........are there any good cafes near these places where she could get something vegan to eat?
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I would suggest Pogo, cos that's only a short train journey away, but it's closed on Mondays.

How about Rootmaster? It's a shortish walk away, being in Brick Lane.

Failing that, there are plenty around London, if she's willing to hop on a tube. http://www.happycow.net/europe/engla...don/index.html

If she's still stuck (which she shouldn't be), she can always pop round to Bryzee and Joeybee's gaff and I'll fill her up with nummy goodness.

P.S. What's the Millennium Tower?

Thanks Bryzee for your help............I'll let her know!

I don't think the Millennium Tower exists...................I'll ask her what she meant by that?
    (She'll probably blame me and say I heard her wrong............I always get the blame!)
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I think the Millennium Tower was abandoned in favour of the Swiss Re tower at 30 St. Mary Axe (the gherkin).

I could be wrong though.

I didnīt see "Chi" on the list. Itīs a vegan buffet quite near Trafalgar Square (56 St Martinīs lane) I loved it!
    Mmmmm, Red Veg, I sometimes dream there was something like it in my place. Hey, folks, is it that hard to get it branched out in different locations? I believe fast food vegan joints like these would be good business elsewhere, and itīd be the best way to make veganism popular, donīt you think?
    And, after what Iīve read, I feel an urge to revisit London in order to enjoy Govinda, 222, Mildredīs ....After all London is only a couple of hours from here...

Do it! Come meet us lovely folks!!!

We might need to add Saf and Vanilla Black to this list.

Has anyone been to either one yet?