View Poll Results: London: tell us which vegan cafes and restaurants you really like

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • VitaOrganic

9 16.67%
  • Maoz

10 18.52%
  • RedVeg

18 33.33%
  • Mildred's

16 29.63%
  • Veg Veg - 6 Kentish Town Road, Camden

1 1.85%
  • Govindas

10 18.52%

20 37.04%
  • Eat And Two Veg

4 7.41%
  • Beatroot

10 18.52%
  • Spirited Palace

1 1.85%
  • Pepperton UK

3 5.56%
  • The Gate

3 5.56%
  • Neal's Yard Cafe

6 11.11%
  • Kastoori

0 0%
  • Mantras (on Dean Street, Soho)

2 3.70%
  • CTV - 22 Golders Green Road

0 0%
  • Tai Buffet - 10 Greek Street, Soho

5 9.26%
  • Veg (Shan Tung Style) 11 Greek Street, Soho

0 0%
  • Joi Buffet - 14 Percy Street, (off Tottenham Court Road)

1 1.85%
  • Wai - 32 Goodge Street

0 0%
  • Tai Veg (various locations)

3 5.56%
  • Ravi Shankar - in Drummond St behind Euston station

1 1.85%
  • Diwana Bel-Poori House - also in Drummond St

4 7.41%
  • Woodlands in Panton Street etc (a small chain)

2 3.70%
  • Manna

3 5.56%
  • Pogo, Hackney

14 25.93%
  • Peking Palace, Archway

6 11.11%
  • Riverside Vegetaria, 64 High Street, Kingston

6 11.11%
  • Saf (added December-08)

3 5.56%
  • Vanilla Black (added December-08)

0 0%
  • Chutney's in Drummond St (added July-09)

1 1.85%
  • Rootmaster (added August-09)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: London 2007-2009: Vegan cafes and restaurants you really like?

treaclemine

Default Re: London 2007/2008: Vegan cafes and restaurants you really like?

Saf was a huge roaring success with my omnivorous friends and family. But you do need to have a sizeable wallet!

I've been to quite a few of these. Beetroot is among my favourites, just because they are all so friendly in there. Oh, and the food, its yummy, wholesome and dependable.

Neils yard is always a good place to grab a quick bowl of deceptively filling risotto.

I liked vito organic a lot, although it was reaaaaally crowded. It was pretty pricey in there too, I thought, which compels you to go for the "good stuff" when you choose which dishes you want a spoon from, ie you end up with 4 spoons of curry sauce, and no rice or other staple to mop it up with.

The vegan thai places are all about the same throughout london - great value for money - Ģ3 for a box that you fill up yourself - they give you a lid, but I find you can stack up way more food if you don't use it Personally I'm not a fan of their mock meat stuff - way too salty/msgy for me.

Looking forward to my next trip as I want to try some of these ones out that I've never heard of !

thatīs a good idea. but who does? i donīt know how to make a poll here...
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Default Re: London: Vegan cafes and restaurants you really like?

its probably not the best but its certainly the cheapest in london, V&M ? in greek street, its next door to where the TAI resturant used to be. burgers are 99p, fries, chicken nuggets and onion rings all 99p. its not as nice as reg veg but its a lot cheaper. they do soya shakes and some other bits and pieces too.

i wished this place hadnt opened, red veg was a nice treat every now and then but burger and fries for under Ģ2 is going to make me fat(ter)

Living in Pogo and VitaOrganic these days
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

when i went to riverside vegetaria i liked it alot and sitting outside next to the river was beautiful.. however my partner's food wasn't so good. at least i enjoyed it!

It was pretty there, I just didn't love my food.

I've never had a bad meal at the riverside, it's in my top five vegan restaurants!

I went to the Riverside for my Birthday last year. My wife is sadly only vegetarian and the cow pus, sorry milk, for her tea was definitely off.

The other thing I'm not keen on is how cramped and claustrophobic it is. It was murder trying to get out with my grandson's buggy.

I much prefer the Wholefood Cafe in Streatham, you get loads of food and the prices are very reasonable.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

We have only circa 30 restaurants/cafes on this list, but on this list, there are almost 60:

Vegan London: Where To Eat

Not all of them can be found on this overview/map over London's vegan cafes and restaurants, but maybe our poll needs an update?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

I think (maybe) we should start a new poll listing the new places for 2009 - then everyone could vote again as their opinion may be different now.
    The day breaks and everything is new.

Quote Digital Ghost View Post
    I think (maybe) we should start a new poll listing the new places for 2009 - then everyone could vote again as their opinion may be different now.
    Who wants to compile an updated list?

Coming soon so watch the space (on the website) and hopefully to Leicester Square in London's West End will be...

Will be great to know people's thoughts when we do open for business. We're planning a 'free first day' to promote the bus and to give us an idea of how much food we can churn out of our little lower deck kitchen. If it doesn't clash too much with the forum's rules on promoting business, I can keep people informed.
    As long as there are abattoirs, there will be battlefields. ~ Leo Tolstoy.

This is a great summary of - at least - a lot of vegan cafés and restaurants, I think. (:
    Thank you for this.
    So I guess, I'll have to visit London again this year and check 'em all out!
    Wonderful. *_*

Well done Digital Ghost. I'm afraid I'm not sure of all the buffet chains etc either so can't comment on accuracy.

Quote Lizzybo View Post
    Coming soon so watch the space (on the website) and hopefully to Leicester Square in London's West End will be... Vegan Routes
    Looks very interesting and a great location. What sort of food will you be serving? (Your website has a typo - says "site last updated... 19th January 2008")
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Lizzybo View Post
    Looks interesting

Deja vu?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Default Re: London 2007: Vegan cafes / restaurants you really like?

Quote Marrers View Post
    . . . now I prefer GiGi Hut, 339 Euston Road. They do a lovely dish with aubergine in! And a nice curry. I think it is the best one of the buffet places, would be interested to know what others think.
    I can't recommend Gigi Hut over any of the others chain buffet places anymore. The chef has changed and sadly the food wasn't anything special when I was there last week. I'll really miss all the tasty dishes the other chef used to make.

However I really enjoyed my meal at V and M Dining this evening. (My full description is in the Vegan London 2 thread.)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

We went to London last week and had an absolutely fabulous buffet lunch in 222. What a great place. The best food I have had for ages. There was this lovely carrot tart and I so want to have some more, but I am in Cornwall again now....

I have fallen in love with Rootmaster, the food was simply fantastic, the portions were just what you need and the presentation was immaculate. The teriyaki stir fry was enjoyed by all, the tofu was cooked just perfectly, slight char for just the right flavour, soft and firm so that your teeth sink straight through it rather than squashing it. The sauce and the vedgies were simply delicious. The gyoza wraps for starter were a personal favorite. They seriously hit every button and the dipping sauce that goes with it was just right and although slightly on the salty side, just perfect for the wraps and as an appetizer it does it's job in preparing you for the main event.
    The other main course I recommend is the broccoli tartlet. This was delicious and creamy with a beatiful crispy pastry. Simple and delectable.
    For desert the chocolate fondant was my choice and it didn't fail to please. Crispy on the outside, warm and moist throughout with a rich centre, served with chocolate vegan ice cream and fresh berries. It was just the best finish to a great meal.
    Others in the group recommend the banana cream pie. This did look good but sadly I can't have bananas so I can't say, though everyone else seemed to enjoy them.
    The setting is great, candlelit (normal lights are off in the evening) and the price is good for the food and service you get.
    The toilet arrangements are a swanky bar next door as there are none on the bus. A slight note for though but be a recommendation to weld the suspension rigid to avoid a slight wobble of the bus when people use the stairs.
    Warning: the tofu tower is quite spicy, not at first but it sneaks up on you from behind and gets you a few moments later. I thought that it was nice but for one it was too much. The staff did offer to replace the dish with something else but as time was getting on a bit it was just taken off the bill instead.
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

Windfall

I really like Maoz

Also Peking Palace on the Holloway Rd

Beatroot is about 30secs from my workplace, so I eat there most days out of convenience - the food is really good, too. Regular at Red Veg and Vita Organic, too.

I met someone from the Vegan Freaks community at Red Veg recently. Anyone else up for lunch meet-ups around Soho?

gutts

I'm sure we would be. Why not start a thread in the UK Meet Ups section of the forum. (You might have to join that group via your User Control Panel if you haven't already done so.)
    Last edited by Marrers; Apr 29th, 2009 at 01:25 AM. Reason: to add link

Bump.

Is there some way you can un-vote? Because I voted for a place that I have now gone off After my visit the other night I would vote for Chutney's in Drummond St though, if it were on the list.

if it were on the list
    It is now! I can move a vote for you if you wish.

Great - perhaps you could reallocate my vote from Ravi Shankar to Chutney's, please Korn.

Just in case you've missed it, this poll is closed now, because a new, updated poll exists here:

London: Vegan friendly cafes and restaurants you really like