Thread: Random UK Sweet Stuff

Default Random UK Sweet Stuff

For those with children:

Sainsburys are selling some own-brand fruit jelly (on a stick) sweets labelled vegan. They are small animal characters made from jelly and what seems to be icing. A nice treat for vegan children. My own son was very excited and has put them aside for easter.

Also, I've just noticed that the co-op fruit jellies are labelled vegan. I'm sure that the last time I saw them they weren't labelled vegan. They're not quite as nice as some "real fruit" fruit jellies, but inexpensive, and IMHO acceptably nice.

I've just been reading the Sainsbury's thread. Chocolate chip cookies? Shortbread? I wish I'd known that while I was shopping in Sainsburys an hour or two ago. And the basics potato waffles will be useful as well. Should I get my bicycle back out of the garage and go back there?

As a random thing, I accidentally picked up a non-vegetarian pasta sauce instead of the vegan labelled Siciliana (?). I handed it back to the woman working the till, and had a short conversation which ended with me writing out an egg-free chocolate cake recipe!

Lilac Hamster

Default Re: Random UK Sweet Stuff

We also discovered the Sainsbury's chick, bunny, etc fruit jelly lollies, my daughters liked them, although certainly don't wait until Easter for them.

How is Leicester? Any other vegan families you have found to hang out with?
    Last edited by flutterby; Apr 11th, 2007 at 02:37 PM. Reason: more posts about a Leicester meet up are now in the uk meet up forum which you may need to join

Quote RossClement View Post
    Also, I've just noticed that the co-op fruit jellies are labelled vegan. I'm sure that the last time I saw them they weren't labelled vegan. They're not quite as nice as some "real fruit" fruit jellies, but inexpensive, and IMHO acceptably nice.
    I noticed that Co-op now have 3 new items I haven't spotted before that are suitable for vegans : fruit jellies, American hard gums, and hard-boiled fruit sweets. I think the fruit jellies are favourite, though!

Quote scoultas View Post
    I noticed that Co-op now have 3 new items I haven't spotted before that are suitable for vegans : fruit jellies, American hard gums, and hard-boiled fruit sweets. I think the fruit jellies are favourite, though!
    AMERICAN HARD GUMS!!!!

Not sure whether to put this in here or Sainsbury's thread but they're doing quite a few sweets marked vegan these days, including rhubarb and custards, oranges and lemons (hard boiled sweets with chewy goo inside), and fruit cocktails (sherbert fruits). As far as I know the fruit sherberts are quite recent on the marked-vegan front.