Thread: A Veg*n guide to Philadelphia

Smile A Veg*n guide to Philadelphia

A Veg*n guide to Philadelphia.

Your online guide to enjoying the many vegan and vegetarian joys that Philadelphia has to offer.

www.vegphilly.com

Default Philadelphia Vegans

Give a shout out if your from Philadelphia or live around the Philadelphia region. Let's get some support for our brothers and sisters.

I just checked out Kingdom of Vegetarians for the first time, they advertise themselves as fully vegan, and the food was great. Very, very good. Anyone else know of any good restaurants or know a good place to hang out with like-minded folks in the Iladelph?

Default Re: A Veg*n guide to Philadelphia

What's going on in Philadelphia ?
    There's a point 1 must take a position that's not safe, polite or popular, but 1s conscience tells 1 it's right.

There's a place called Gianna's Grill on South Street that has really good vegan pizza and other "cheesy" vegan dishes. But recently someone told me that their cheese isn't actually vegan, and they've been lying. Does anyone know about this? It's not that it was real cheese, but it had casein I think.

Here is the latest vegan restaurant in Philly. I'm going this weekend and trying to talk some friends into making the drive into town (it's an hour from their house). If I go, I'll write about the meal. Otherwise, it's another overpriced plate of grilled vegetables at their restaurant of choice...........

And here is another article about the restaurant.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

I ate at Horizons a few times when it was located in Willow Grove, PA. The food was delicious and the atmosphere was great. A bit pricey but well worth the money. Probably the best seitan I ever ate. And the vegan creme brulee was amazing. I hope their reincarnation in Philly is just as wonderful.

Quote thecatspajamas1
    There's a place called Gianna's Grill on South Street that has really good vegan pizza and other "cheesy" vegan dishes. But recently someone told me that their cheese isn't actually vegan, and they've been lying. Does anyone know about this? It's not that it was real cheese, but it had casein I think.
    A few years ago, someone affiliated with PETA did get suspicious about their vegan cheese and had it tested. It did contain casein. The owners claimed they didn't know that casein wasn't vegan, they had originally made their own vegan cheese then switched to a supplier who sold soy cheese with casein. I don't believe them at all. The owner also used to have Danielle, who now owns www.vegantreats.com bake vegan desserts but they then stole her recipes and started passing off imitations of Danielle's desserts as their own original desserts. They also used to/still have soft-serve ice cream that they claimed was vegan but I have heard it wasn't, not sure if that's true. I would never eat here, I think they are untrustworthy and besides, their main customer base seems to be dead animal purchasers.

Quote feline01
    I ate at Horizons a few times when it was located in Willow Grove, PA. The food was delicious and the atmosphere was great. A bit pricey but well worth the money. Probably the best seitan I ever ate. And the vegan creme brulee was amazing. I hope their reincarnation in Philly is just as wonderful.
    Thanks for that info. I am certainly going to push my friends to go with me now!

They closed their Willow Grove restaurant so I'm sure the new one will be wonderful - same owners, same chef hopefully.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Default Vegetarian-friendly Catering in Philadelphia, PA

Hello All,

I'm a college student trying to set-up the catering for a school event. Being a vegan, I would prefer to have the food be all vegan, but some people in my organization said that they "demand" meat. Regardless the ludicrous nature of that demand, I'm obligated to honor it. So does anyone know of any vegetarian-friendly restaurants in the Philadelphia area (preferrably with non-Western fare, eg. Middle Eastern) that would be able to provide good vegan/vegetarian food along with some sort of meat for the self-proclaimed carnivores of the group? Thanks!

Kaitlin

Default Re: Vegetarian-friendly Catering in Philadelphia, PA

I know this is a bit late, but here's a link to a group of girls who do all vegan catering for events in the philadelphia area:
    http://www.myspace.com/twopotatoes
    They won't do meat, obviously, but perhaps you could look into using two caterers... i'd imagine it'd be hard to find a place that caters to vegans specifically but also carries meat products.
    On a similar note, seeing as you're in the Philadelphia area, take a look at this group (assuming you're on myspace):
    http://groups.myspace.com/philadelphiavegans
    I started it to give other vegans in the Philly area a chance to possibly meet one another and share resources, etc.
    There are only 27 members, and so far not much in the way of active discussion, but feel free to sign up and post anything that's on your mind! Requests like these would probably work very well in a place like that, as everyone in the group is in your shoes, so to speak.

Good luck!

Quote gertvegan View Post
    A Veg*n guide to Philadelphia.

Your online guide to enjoying the many vegan and vegetarian joys that Philadelphia has to offer.

www.vegphilly.com
    FYI, this is way out of date. Doesn't seem like the site is being updated (a few no longer exist, and some, like giannas, are misrepresented-- they haven't served meat for years now).

A few great vegan spots:
    Govinda's- there are two sides to this business: a takeout counter with everything from vegan cheesesteaks to vegan hoagies, chicken salad wraps, quesedillas, tuna sandwiches... really terriffic food. The other "wing" of the establishment is finer dining with a really tasty menu; great for a date.
    Royal Tavern- not completely vegan, but there are always about five things to choose from (my favorite is the vegan tempeh club-- a-maze-ing). You can go there for brunch or dinner; their menu changes from one to the other. Great draft selection, too.
    Horizon- (see above) great for a date. There's a bar w/ seating downstairs with a casual menu (though i've never sat there); upstairs is a bit more refined. The menu is always very interesting; there's this spanish style rice thing that blows my mind, you have to try it. The bread's pretty awesome too. You will need a reservation for friday-sunday.
    New Harmony- all you can eat dim sum, only nine bucks. need i say more? show up hungry, leave stuffed. the food's delicious, and never stops (until you say uncle).

There are many many more, but those are some of my favorites... be sure to check them out if you're in the area!

Thumbs up New vegan-friendly restaurant in Philly area

Manayunk is a trendy NW suburb of Philly.

Machismo Burrito Bar

4330 Main St.
    Manayunk, PA
    215-508-3333
    http://www.machismoburritobar.com/index.html
    http://MYSPACE.COM/MACHISMOBURRITOS

Mexican/Southwest, Manayunk/Roxborough/East Falls

Former Johnny Manana's manager Maggie Austin is flexing her muscles at the Mexi competition with Manayunk's Machismo. The concept is simple: a burrito bar that's both sit-down and takeout-friendly. All the normal fillers are available, but the menu also boasts vegan sour cream, vegan cheese and Boca meats. Oh, and a hot sauce bar will offer a rotating roster of 50-plus options. Look for a second location in NoLibs (1001 N. Second St.) by July.

Current Locations:

525 North Birdneck Road
    Virginia Beach, VA 23451
    Phone - (757) 422-6010
    Fax - (757) 422-6037

409 W. York St
    Norfolk, VA 23510
    Phone - (757) 624-2424
    Fax - (757) 624-1295

4330 Main St.
    Manayunk, PA 19127
    Phone - (215) 508-3333
    Fax - (215) 508-3337
    Last edited by flutterby; Jun 16th, 2007 at 10:09 AM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Quote feline01 View Post
    The owner also used to have Danielle, who now owns www.vegantreats.com bake vegan desserts but they then stole her recipes and started passing off imitations of Danielle's desserts as their own original desserts.
    If anybody gets a chance to hit VeganTreats up in Easton I would HIGHLY recommend it...my parents live near there and it is a tradition for family visits. I've literally been all over the world and I've never had anything as good as VeganTreats (no, I don't work for them...if I did my weight would double in record time ).