Thread: Is there a vegan Lucky Charms?

Unhappy Is there a vegan Lucky Charms?

My favorite cereal since childhood is Lucky Charms. Now that I don't eat meat, I can't eat Lucky Charms because of the marshmellows. Is there a cereal similar to Lucky Charms that uses vegan marshmellows? Or does anyone know how to make vegan marshmellows crunchy like the ones in Lucky Charms?

See where I'm going with this? If there was some way I could take the vegan marshmellows in my cabinet, cut them up, make them crunchy. Then I could take Lucky Charms (or Alphabits, whatever) pick out the marshmellows, replace with the vegan ones and enjoy.

This is a real problem for me. Giving up meat, I never thougt I'd have to give up Lucky Charms. They're magically deliscious!

Default Re: Is there a vegan Lucky Charms?

Quote clarkperks View Post
    This is a real problem for me. Giving up meat, I never thougt I'd have to give up Lucky Charms. They're magically deliscious!
    Heheheh, sorry I can't help having never tried them but this tickled me.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

i don't think i'd consider the product vegan, if a had to buy it with unvegan marshmallows, and replace them.

Yeah, buying the product means you are contributing toward the company using animal ingredients in their products.

If you find out how to do the marshmallow thing you could always add them to a cereal that is vegan like Cheerios or something, I think they are vegan. The marshmallows in Lucky Charms are freeze dried, I dunno if you could find a way to do this yourself but you can probably find out if you google it.

Quote clarkperks View Post
    Then I could take Lucky Charms (or Alphabits, whatever) pick out the marshmellows, replace with the vegan ones and enjoy.
    this is surely a wind up?

Cheerios in the UK are indeed on the Nestle vegan product list.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Purplerose View Post
    Yeah, buying the product means you are contributing toward the company using animal ingredients in their products.
    I agree with that completely.

Here's a recipe for vegan marshmallows here : http://www.vegsource.com/articles/marshmallows.htm . The sugar could be replaced with something like agar agar flakes, as they are often used for a "gelling" effect and/or as an alternative sweetener. I'm sure you could manage to cut them up or something to make them into tiny marshmallows. For the rest of the cereal, I'd stick with whole grain one(s) that you know are vegan. I hope that helps at least a little.

Quote Pisces View Post
    The sugar could be replaced with something like agar agar flakes
    Surely you don't mean this? Agar agar in your coffee sir?

Mashmallows are just sugar syrup suspended in gelatine, with a bit of colour/flavouring. Despite this, they're quite hard to make and will depend greatly on which gelling agent you use.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Question Re: Is there a vegan Lucky Charms?

I agree that buying Lucky Charms and picking out the marshmallows is the wrong way to go. I'll use Cheerios or Alphabits or some other cereal that is vegan.

Can anyone else confirm that the marshmallows used in cereal are in fact freeze dried?

There do appear to be some companies that can freeze dry foods for individual consumers. It would only be a matter of sending them some vegan mini marshmallows and then the joy of childhood would once more be mine!

I thought marshmallows were supposed to be all fluffy....freeze-dried sounds bizarre!!

I'm sure over time you'll lose the need for this cereal. Have you tried other sorts? I have seen vegan marshmallows but they didn't look very nice!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Smile Re: Is there a vegan Lucky Charms?

Actually, the marshmallows in Lucky Charms were quite tasty. They're crunchy.

There are other cereals to eat which are just fine. But this was my favorite cereal! Vegan marshmallows actually taste very good. They're a must have if you're going camping and you want to roast marshmallows.

I have to admit, the crunchy marshmallows were the best part of lucky charms . But the actual cereal part tasted bad LOL, it got all soggy really fast

I do have to second RedWellies's comment, that after a while you won't want them anymore, even if that is hard to believe now. Before I went vegan, my favourite candy was Cadbury mini eggs, because of that wonderful crunchy shell. But there is no vegan equivalent in Canada (but there is in the UK ), and I thought I could never live without the annual easter tradition of buying little packs of mini eggs whenever I saw them strategically placed next to a cash register . I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss them at all, but there are so many other delicious vegan treats that I feel more than satisfied. So if you can't replace your Lucky Charms, I'm sure you'll find satisfaction in a new favourite cereal - maybe something like putting fresh strawberries on your cereal will make it taste so good that you won't miss Lucky Charms after a while.

Sorry I couldn't be more help . Though I feel your pain, because I do remember those yummy marshmallows and how I used to eat all the cereal and leave the marshmallows for last so I could eat them in one great spoonful LOL.
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

There is this one cereal called Clifford Crunch, which is an organic cereal made by Cascadian Farms. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Cascadian-Farm.../dp/B000FH2XP8
    I'm pretty sure Cascadian farms is owned by General Mills and the cereal is the exact same shape and tastes almost the exact same as Lucky Charms, but it's whole grain and vegan (no marshmallows). I really like it and have it almost everyday.