Thread: Some Oatly milks not vegan?

Default Some Oatly milks not vegan?

Hi,

We were wondering whether the Oatly chocolate drink was vegan so emailed the company. This is what they wrote in their reply:

Thank you for your inquiry of Oatly.

The oatly healthy oat organic suitable for vegans. The enriched oatly drinks contain vitamin D3 which originate from sheeps wool fat. For your information we are investigating the possiblity to find an alternative to D3 suitable in our product.

So, only one of the Oatly drinks is vegan, the plain, un-enriched one.

Just thought some on here would like to know.

John

Good sperm

Default Re: Some Oatly milks NOT vegan!!!

Thanks for posting.

This now means that the ONLY treat I can have that does not cause immense nausea, Chocolate Oatly, is now no longer OK for me to have.

Guess I'm getting a refund then. At least the unfortified one is OK, I can't digest soy milk and rice milk is gross.

My day just gets better and better.

Thanks for letting us know.

This is most dissapointing

nervine

Quote absentmindedfan View Post
    and rice milk is gross.

amf - i'm sure you already thought of this, but perhaps cocoa powder in unfortified oatly?

i put this in my porridge sometimes, and omg it is sooooo gorgeous. i use G+B's cocoa powder to mark the occasion

amanda

I wonder if this applies to any other fortified products?

Quote Marrers View Post
    I wonder if this applies to any other fortified products?
    mmm, that thought did cross my mind. i can't remember what the alpro soymilk has in it now, but it does very clearly say on the side 'suitable for vegetarians/vegans'

amanda

if it doesn't say it's suitable for vegans and it's a fortified product it's always best to check, especially if it's D and doesn't say if it's D2 or D3

I didn't know you could even get chocolate oatly!

I just double checked my plain one (the only one I have seen round here) and it's the organic healthy oatly which is not fortified. Ingredients are just water, oats and sea salt.

This now means that the ONLY treat I can have that does not cause immense nausea, Chocolate Oatly, is now no longer OK for me to have.
    Don't fret AMF, I agree with flying plums suggestion. I have been making oat milk hot chocolate all winter and I'm sure you could make up a few batches yourself then let it cool before storing it in the fridge for later.

Here is my ultra elaborate oat milk hot chocolate 'recipe':
    In a large mug add 3 tsp of coca, 1 tsp of sugar or agave nectar (or to taste) and 1/2 to 1 tsp of cornflour or slippery elm (optional). Add a little boiling water and mix to make a smooth paste. Stir in some oat milk, mix well, then add more oat milk until the mug is not quite full. Microwave for 1 min, then stir. Microwave at 30 second intervals until hot (or starts to thicken and bubble/climb if you used the cornflour/slippery elm, keep an eye on it though! it can and will turn into a volcano and splurge over the sides).
    It's a lot simpler than it sounds! Honest
    Oh, and add a touch more cornflour/slippery elm to make chocolate blancmange/custardy goop, kind of like the Alpro pots.

Veryblue2

!!! What's the point in them if they're not vegan?!

Quote Veryblue2 View Post
    I didn't know you could even get chocolate oatly!

I just double checked my plain one (the only one I have seen round here) and it's the organic healthy oatly which is not fortified. Ingredients are just water, oats and sea salt.

Don't fret AMF, I agree with flying plums suggestion. I have been making oat milk hot chocolate all winter and I'm sure you could make up a few batches yourself then let it cool before storing it in the fridge for later.

In a large mug add 3 tsp of coca, 1 tsp of sugar or agave nectar (or to taste) and 1/2 to 1 tsp of cornflour or slippery elm (optional). Add a little boiling water and mix to make a smooth paste. Stir in some oat milk, mix well, then add more oat milk until the mug is not quite full. Microwave for 1 min, then stir. Microwave at 30 second intervals until hot (or starts to thicken and bubble/climb if you used the cornflour/slippery elm, keep an eye on it though! it can and will turn into a volcano and splurge over the sides).
    Oh, and add a touch more cornflour/slippery elm to make chocolate blancmange/custardy goop, kind of like the Alpro pots.

Mmmm! That sounds lovely Veryblue! I love slippery elm but I never thought of adding cocoa

Quote hazelbunny View Post
    suitable for people who are lactose intollerant
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Good sperm

Quote Veryblue2 View Post

That's fab! Thank you so much

As Mr. F says they market towards the lactose intolerant primarily. Don't know why they went and added sheeps wool fat (like thats healthy 'food' anyway ) when they could have fortified like the soya milks are. Maybe they just wanted to differentiate themselves or something.

Mmmm! That sounds lovely Veryblue! I love slippery elm but I never thought of adding cocoa
    Heh, I thought I was the only slippery elm connoisseur! Magical stuff that slippery elm.

That's fab! Thank you so much
    Your welcome AMF! Hope I didn't make it sound too confusing It's crazy how well oat milk and coca go together, they just seem made for each other.

Veryblue2

I've only tried the Oatly cream alternative and I can definately recommend it. Its nicer than Alpro cream and another bonus is that is doesn't contain sugar.

Quote Johnah View Post
    reply:

Thank you for your inquiry of Oatly.
    The oatly healthy oat organic suitable for vegans. The enriched oatly drinks contain vitamin D3 which originate from sheeps wool fat. For your information we are investigating the possiblity to find an alternative to D3 suitable in our product.

It would have been some help if they'd at least listed D3 on the carton as the type they use. Why do they have to put vitamin D in it anyway

Can you have chocolate almond milk? I could drink gallons of that stuff!

Quote Herbidacious View Post
    Why do they have to put vitamin D in it anyway
    Because some people don't get much sun?

Maybe alternatives to cream/milk have to be fortified, like margarine has to be by law... hm, that can't be true though, cos the Tesco value stuff is just beans and water.

Maybe because they're bloody minded?

pavotrouge

Aaaw, I loved the oatly cream sub!

Anyway, I'll email them about considering to change the recipes... who's with me (worked with Alpro some years ago, so why not try it)?!

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    Aaaw, I loved the oatly cream sub!
    Oatly cream is definately vegan. No vitamin D in that

What about the E472e? Is there confirmation from them that it is vegan?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I bought mine from Unicorn Grocery and their policy is that everything is strictly vegan. No need to worry about reading labels there

I know this is an old thread - but happy to hear that all of Oatly's products are now vegan. www.saveascream.com/recommended.htm

Quote ShariBlackVelvet View Post
    I know this is an old thread - but happy to hear that all of Oatly's products are now vegan. www.saveascream.com/recommended.htm
    Hi
    I think this has been discussed on a couple different threads (but its always worth mentioning it again in case anyone hasn't heard!!!).
    You should know that they are only vegan if the use by date is 01-01-2012 or after http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...l=1#post673869

The chocolate drink I just got has the best before date of 23-03-2012 so I'm assuming that pretty much all of the drinks they're selling now have the best before day of around the same time or at least after Jan 2012. I think the Jan 2012 best before date originated the other month when they started the new formula and announced they were suitable for vegans again, so unless a shop has some that has been sat there for over 2 months and no-one's bought them, I doubt there are many non-vegan ones/pre-2012 ones on sale now (I could be wrong though!).

I ended up finding this thread as I googled for 'Oatly vegan' and it came up first - so apologies for not checking to see if there were other more recent ones.

I think you're right, but its still worth checking for the next few months - I have been in touch with Veggiestuff.co.uk, they are aware of the change but their current stock is pre-2012, so they explicitly state it is not vegan, but will update the site when they sell them (they have had 17 cartons of the choc one in stock for months!) and the one I saw in H&B today was November this year

Quote ShariBlackVelvet View Post
    Happy days! Thanks for posting this! Oatly is my favourite milk, and now I can drink the fortified version as well!

Default Re: Some Oatly milks not vegan?

What a coincidence! I had bought a small Oatly chocolate milk a while ago during my trip to the UK. I assumed it was vegan. (lesson learned=never assume) Just today my sister told me that the use by date was November 8th 2011, so I was saving it for this Sunday evening (=rain, blanket, cat on my lap, hot coco day). By chance I stumpled upon this topic and read that my 'old' Oatly milk is thus not vegan. The universe was telling me all this time not to drink it I suppose!

leedsveg

I have an Oatly milk with a 2012 date but I feel very uneasy using it as nowhere on it does it mention "D2" or "suitable for vegans/vegetarians".

Leedsveg

^^ The company assured me a while ago that they switched to D2 to enable Vegans to drink it, but that the use by date has to be 01-01-2012 or after.
    This is from their website:
    Ingredients

Oat base (water, oats 10%), sugar, cocoa powder (1%), rapeseed oil, salt, aroma, calcium vitamins (D2, riboflavin; folic acid and B12).

Other

Free from milk and soya.
    Always read the declaration of contents on the packaging.
    Oatly Oat Drink Chocolate keeps in a refrigerator for 4-5 days after opening.
    Oatly oat drinks and cream alternative are suitable for vegetarians and vegans.

Nutritional value

per 100 ml
    Energy 240kJ/55 kcal
    Protein 1 g
    Carbohydrates 9.5 g
    of which sugars 7 g
    lactose 0 g
    Fat 1.5 g
    of which saturated 0.2 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Fibre 1 g
    of which beta-glucan 0.4 g
    Sodium 0.06 g
    Vitamin D2 0.75 µg (15%*)
    Riboflavin 0.21 mg (15%*)
    Folic acid 30 µg (15%*)
    Vitamin B12 0.38 µg (15%*)
    Calcium 120 mg (15%*)

*of the Recommended Daily Allowances (RDA).