Thread: veggie "burgers"?

iwillact

Default veggie "burgers"?

I mixed mushed red beans, lentils, mustard, worcheshire (sp?), oats, a few crushed crackers, corn meal and a little flour and formed patties and cooked them in a non-stick skillet. I ate them on whole wheat bread...and they taste just like the bread! Any ideas for next time? Whats your favorite recipe for veggie burgers?

iwillact

Default Re: veggie "burgers"?

oops....sorry I did a search! I didnt think of that first.

i usually make mine from du puy lentils and rice, and then some sunflowerseeds. and A LOT of spices. yummie

iwillact

Thanks!

Worcestershire sauce? Over here that usually has anchovies in it unless you get a special vegetarian one.

Things I would generally always use in a veggie burger would be chopped onion, tomato puree and possibly tobasco sauce. I generally add breadcrumbs at some point aswell to help it hold together.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

iwillact

oh yuck about the worestershire!
    I have a lot to learn still. Thanks!
    Im not sure which spices to use and what would be good combos.
    I have no desire to eat meat again, ever, so I need to learn how to cook with different flavors. If I can cook some really flavorful stuff I know my family would eat it. I told DH I wanted to start having the family eat a veggie meal at least once a week and slowly increase it to more. He is OK with it so I am really pleased but they wont want plain rice and beans all the time.