View Poll Results: NoneHarm - what do you think?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • NoneHarm sounds like a good idea

48 54.55%
  • NoneHarm sounds like a good idea, but not something I personally would want to become a member of

2 2.27%
  • The concept is great... maybe another name would be better?

30 34.09%
  • No thanks, we have enough similar organizations already

8 9.09%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NoneHarm - what do you think?

Default Re: NoneHarm - what do you think?

Hi all,
    I'm in UK next week and may have some time if anyone here are interested in discussing the NoneHarm-idea, another name for it and all that. Please send me a PM if you are interested...
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

I actually like the name "noneharm"; grammatically it doesn't make sense, but who cares? It sticks in your memory, like when German artist Joseph Beuys attached a telephone to a mound of earth... It sticks in your memory and your brain keeps chewing on it thoughtfully...

I think the word "none" should stay - the concept is good and it has a great ring to it... It's quirky. I like it!

puca

It's a good site, but aren't there a few projects already doing this?

What do you mean by "new forms of activism"?

I like how you are not using pseudofacts... They can discredit the vegan cause.

aren't there a few projects already doing this?
    Hi,
    I don't know of any similar organizations.... do you?

puca

Quote Korn View Post
    Hi,
    I don't know of any similar organizations.... do you?
    Well I don't know what you mean by "new forms of activism", hence I asked.

I mean there are vegan and other activist groups who utilise multimedia. Ok, they don't have exactly the same message, but it's being done. A couple I can think of:

Undercurrants
    Vegan Radio
    Vegan Freaks (have their own podcast)
    Newsreel (I think that's their name and I'm note sure if they're still going) and other indie news groups

There are a few environmental campaigns who use such a medium too...

I'm not dissin

Wow, this is an old thread. I'm surprised you haven't launched the site yet. It sounds great. I'd definitely want to get involved with something like this.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Quote puca View Post

I mean there are vegan and other activist groups who utilise multimedia.
    I missed this message when it was posted.
    In the first preliminary version of the NoneHarm site, there were some more details re. what the idea behinfd this concept was, quite similar to something I posted in another thread:

The ideal organization for me would be one that...

•has a clear profile saying that it's against harming and killing animals and humans

•is not by definition pacifist or anti-pacifist

•does not limit it's viewpoints to what causes physical pain only, or limit viewpoints pro being veg*n to eg. factory farm issues: respect for the right to live would be essential

•is not by definition religious or anti-religious

•is not in any way associated with (or donating money to) ALF or other groups known for their 'eco-terrorist'-activities. If they should ever should falsely be accused for doing such things, they should be clear, and not vague about their policy. By not funding any kind of illegal activities, there would be no possible, negative media link to 'eco-terrorism' or anything similar ever.

•is clearly focusing on promoting a vegan (not only a vegetarian) lifestyle, without having an exaggerated focus on 'non-issues' (like discussing if humans should eat insects or not, most people don't do that anyway!)

•focus on the most important animal product issues: meat, dairy, leather, fur etc., and not focus too much on animal products on the microgram-level

•not limit it's viewpoints to animals only, but is clear about not harming the nature, the environment

•is not closely hooked up to one person and his/her personal life, or his/her personal ideas beyond what's defined as the purpose of the organisation

•focus on starting own projects instead of supporting others', in order to get better control of what their money goes to

•would by it's nature support a lifestyle that some people may find extreme (some people think being vegan is extreme!), but not in any way 'try to' be extreme

•will use well known people when it's appropriate, but not speculate in celebrities, especially not those known for their looks (or boobs!)

•have a strong focus on communication and the current and future most common media channels: internet, TV-stations, DVD's, podcasts etc.

•stays away from quack/undocumented pseudo-science, like 'vegans will never have a problem with B12 if they eat a raw vegan diet' or 'you can't get the nutrients you need from plants'

•not in any way is involved in killing animals; members who support euthanasia would need to do that via other organizations. The organization wouldn't pr. definition be pro or against euthanasia

•if possible/needed, would help funding research that could be used to show people the healthiness of a vegan lifestyle
    •when needed, support pro fair-trade and pro-organic/veganic viewpoints

•doesn't waste energy on attacking other organisations that may be seen as similar by others

•if supporting other organizations at all, limit the support to similar groups, so no hurrays or awards for producers of anything that kills animals or 'humane' slaughtering methods
    As far as I'm aware of, no such organisations exist.

Fantastic, though I do find the name a little odd, but that's just a niggle.

Any other suggestion?

Like others have said already, something like HarmNone or NoHarm sounds better to me, personally. But I don't mind either way really, it's more important that it's easy to remember, which is is.

Wow this looks fantastic! I get so tired of vegan websites because they seem to be just looking to push their own agendas. This one seems different so kudos!

I like the name "Noneharm" but I wouldn't cry if it was changed. I first read it as "Nonharm" and then was really confused by the "e" in between .

Any hoo, I like the name. As some have mentioned, it's quirky and it sticks with you. I wouldn't suggest "Harmnone" as that sounds more like a religious website (but that might just be from my perspective).

Best of luck!

I really like it, I want to see it up and running!
    I'm quite fond of the general attitude of the site, I feel like it would be the kind of thing you could show to nonvegans, without worrying about coming across all...PETA-like for lack of a better way to put it.

I first read it as "Nonharm" and then was really confused by the "e" in between
    Is Nonharm better?

There could of course be totally different names as well, not using the words non/none or harm at all. The Vegan Society, for example, but I hear it's taken already. Suggestions are welcome.

Quote Korn View Post
    Is Nonharm better?
    I think so. It makes more sense to me. I'm sure there would be others like me sitting there staring at the title trying to figure it out. But hey, if it gets people to really look at the site

Quote Korn View Post
    Is Nonharm better?
    I like it better too
    I'ma try to think of other suggestions too, though.

I LOVE IT! the name just works in my head. I like the off grammar and I like the idea.

Edit- i was speaking of "noneharm". I don't like "nonharm" as it doesn't really stay in my head. If the grammar is off, it's easier for people to remember.

rxseeeyse

so this organization is promoting veganism right? good luck on that

To those of you who are interested in participating in starting up this project: please send me a private message!

cobweb

What are you hoping for participants to do, Korn?. I'm interested in helping with it.

Thanks!

To begin with, I think developing a good website is quite essential. That would mean a site that inspires others to go vegan, including some stuff similar to what already exists in our new Vegan TV section, but with articles to. So - simply finding the best vegan related articles out there (and more video material) would be an important part of that process.

And lots of other stuff, like eg. proofreading, discussing and solving the financial part of running the project, monitoring health studies (eg. on sites like PubMed and ScienceDaily) and link to them when relevant... and so on. Plain, good old activism would also be good (eg. spreading pamphlets about NoneHarm and veganism on festivals etc).

Another essential part of this work would be to find more 'neo-activists': writers, people involved in video work, journalists, people who can contact various 'authorities' on behalf of NoneHarm (or whatever the name will be) for detailed info about their policy (and about the way they inform) regarding vegan food/animal products. In other words, just make sure schools, media, governments are confronted with unpleasant questions whenever they spread false information (or no info at all!) about vegan-friendly solutions.

One very simple start would be to make some .pdf-pamphlets that we could upload on a website, and which everyone interested could download/send to others/print out. I know such material exist already, but as you know, I disagree that "we have enough similar organizations already". As far as I know, no such organizations exist...

cobweb

ok, well I am up for proof-reading, pamphletting, e-mailing and discussions re administration and finance, etc..........let me know when you're at the stage of wanting to proceed, and tell me what I can do to assist.

I like the idea of downloading pamphlets and distributing them. That's something I'd love to get involved with.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

cobweb

^ you'll be running after people in Tesco and forcing them to take leaflets Sandra!

Hee hee! Do you know, I think I might just do that Cobweb!

I'd love to drop a few leaflets into the chilled cabinets or fridges that have meat and dairy etc in them. Even if it made just one person think about what they are eating it would be worth it.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I like it I wish you good luck, this is something I would be happy to back. I have only been a vegan for about a year and a half and my only foray into the 'the movement' was a really scary converstation I had online a hard supporter of the ALF. It freaked me out not a little. So I have been really shy of the topic so I dont know if your website is more of the same but it looks really good

Hello everyone, Mr Newbie chipping in here ..

I like the idea and I like the suggestion that 'knowharm' would be a good name for it.

'Noharm', 'Noneharm', 'harmnone' ...etc ... Those are are all kinda 'absolutist' suggesting that if contributors/owners/whatever can be pinned down to causing any harm at all (killing bacteria when they bathe etc ) that they, and thus the whole concept, are open to charges of hypocracy.

'Know harm' more kinda suggests that the sites purpose is simply to open peoples eyes to areas of their lives where they may not have been aware they were causing harm and show them alternative 'less harm' ways, if they are interested.

leedsveg

Hi CS and welcome to Vegan Forum.

Good points you make

leedsveg

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Hi CS and welcome to Vegan Forum.

Good points you make

leedsveg
    Many thanks for the welcome and kind words, veggie person from Leeds

I'm still trying to find the 'Introduce yourself before leaving little deposits all over the forum' section but I think that someone hid it ...

Hi all,
    in case any of you try to go to noneharm.com and find that you can't access it: I've closed the site for a couple of reasons, the main ones being that a better name is needed and lack of capacity (at the moment) to follow up on the idea.

Wow, that was really four years ago. Sorry I never got round to taking more than a quick look. Interested but busy.
    I might have time to help with proof reading in the future.

"KnowHarm" is a good angle [dark implications mind you], though I recognise there is no need to get hung up on the negatives.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

Quote Korn View Post
    Hi all,
    in case any of you try to go to noneharm.com and find that you can't access it: I've closed the site for a couple of reasons, the main ones being that a better name is needed and lack of capacity (at the moment) to follow up on the idea.
    Korn, you might consider editing the first post of the thread to reflect this. I just spent a number of minutes to try out to access the site and find out more

Thanks, Andy. Done.