Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with non-vegan parents

Default Dealing with non-vegan parents

my biggest obstacle : mum
    i'm no longer a teenager or living at home
    have been reading and listening a lot about animals and their plight in becoming our food - and the unethicalness of even eating eggs and animal products like milk and honey. It's in my interest to become a vegan. Have also learned that a vegan diet will still perfectly fulfill my nutrition requirements - much to my relief.
    However, to convince mum to also believe this is SO HARD! She doesn't have an open mind and believe I've been brain washed. She thinks she cannot get through to me, and thus also refuse to listen to any 'evidence' i tell her about the health benefits (yes, benefits, not just merely "meeting the nutrional requirements") of a vegan diet. And the main reason of going vegan - to reduce my contribution to animal suffering by my existence.

I wanted to "WEAN" her into the idea of me going vegan, so i decided to take 1 step at a time. though i decide to become vegan (i dont live with her, so she doesnt know what i eat), I simply told her I wanted to change from eating pork and beef, to kangaroo. My reason: pork and beef are farmed in cruel conditions. Kangaroo is free range and often considered a pest in some parts of Australia.
    She went BEZERK!
    Her argument, is like what most of you vegans have heard all before:
    You will become malnourished.
    Do what the majority do, don't be the minority (ie by not eating pork/beef)
    you're so skinny already. you need your meat
    Fine! if thats the way you want it, then i'll just nibble on greens all day too!
    (at this point, i thought : good for you! we'll both be vegans! Except, here lies the misconception that vegan is just about eating greens....)

so, this long post........
    basically I'm having a whine about how hard it is to go vegan. Dad is more understanding and open minded (they're divorced) & even praised me for being environmentally conscious (i told him about the amount of water it takes to produce 1kg of meat VS 1kg of rice or wheat, etc).

any one else had similar troubles??
    any tips?
    in the mean time, i've had to give in and told mum i'm going to "eat normally" to save from further arguments

Default Re: frustrations of trying to become vegan

Hello there. I was going to say - why not wait for a while before telling your mum you're vegan, so that she can see you're still healthy and have a complete set of limbs but that seems to be what you've already decided to do? At that point she might be more receptive to evidence you give her to read.

My relatives seemed a bit worried when I went vegan too - I suppose (esp. older) people have had it drummed into them that you need red meat for iron, dairy produce for calcium etc, so the idea of doing without strikes them as dangerous. After 13 or 14 years they seem to stop worrying though

If you do feel you're too thin it's quite possible to gain weight on a vegan diet. That'll show her!

my biggest obstacle : mum
    i'm no longer a teenager or living at home
    She can only be an obstacle if you allow her to be one.

I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Allanimalsrok

Oh, this is my problem too - my Mum and Dad! I'm trying to become a vegan, but my Mum says vegans 'have no choivce of what to eat' and my Dad even said I can't become one as vegans are often 'strange people'! That's stupid, to be honest, as vegans are lovely people, for caring for animals!
    It's hard for me too, as I'm still at home and will have to start buying my own vegan milk, butter, cheese etc, with my own money, when I don't get much and struggle to keep it as it is. I will definately try though! xx

u quit tryin to go vegan coz of your mum which u DONT EVEN LIVE WITH? okay i kinda get it except the quitting part. my mom has finally understood (after almost me bein a vegan 2 yrs) some of what/why im vegan but my parents still thinks i went vegan "to be unique", "cause im OCD", and cause " i think ill get sick if i eat animals" very ignorant, but it gets better. they still think im malnourished tho and that they are healthyer than me

hang in there - and ur livin on ur own so what business is that of ur mothers what how when u eat
    det e bedre at den e dyr - enn at den e døde dyr

i don't think she said she quit trying to go vegan, berta the aspie, i believe she just told her mother she would eat normally to avoid arguments.

i say have her watch/read about what animals go through before they become meat. nobody could eat meat if they saw what happened during slaughter, so i suggest you do your best to tell her about it.

what did your mom say when you told her about the environmental benefits? between animals, health, and environment, what could she really say to refute?

Quote wonderwall View Post
    nobody could eat meat if they saw what happened during slaughter, so i suggest you do your best to tell her about it.
    i don't want to take this off topic but unfortunately i'd have to disagree with this..i know of several people who are aware of what happens during slaughter and don't have any intention of changing their dietary habits

ocicat...

i don't mean to sound harsh, though you do say that you're an adult and not living at home. you can appease your mum by saying you'll eat as she'd want you to..but...you know...you're a fully functioning grown up and don't need to live by anyone else's standards but your own.

your mums overeaction seems maybe based on that she lacks good information on what eating vegan is..could you maybe get hold of some literature and suggest she read it through then you can discuss her concerns with her?

it's not unreasonable that someone who doesn't have all the info can be concerned that you might get ill or whatever..but surely if you provide that, then that at least takes away that aspect of concern (does that make sense, in my cackhanded inarticulate way?)

my tips would be to grab hold of plenty of information that can reassure her..but ultimately to stick with what you believe to be right for you.

good luck and all that
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

thanks for all your support
    to answer a few of ur Qs:
    yes, i told her i'm eat "normally", but doesnt mean i'll go back to eating meat again. well, actually i'm trying to be a vegan, so not completely vegan yet
    as for "pleasing her" - i'm not telling her so to PLEASE her or to make others happy. as anyone who is a mother would know, they want the best for their children. if i was just a friend of hers, she wouldnt care. but i'm her daughter - and she values me beyond everything in life- including her own. The sheer frustration, pain, anger, etc that she was experiencing when i told her, really hurt me and i didnt want to hurt her like that.
    i had to say what i said to comfort her, otherwise i felt i was being a bad daughter by making her so worried and lose sleep (which i know she will if i persist my values).
    when i told her i'd go "normal" again, the next day, she said "thank you. now my nightmare has ended"
    sigh** how could i make mum suffer like that? but at the same time, i dont want to choose between mum's suffering or the suffering of animals.

so in the mean time........ lets keep it a secret from her.... shhh......
    wish me luck
    i hope one day she'll come to realise being vegan is not only good for me, but also in the greater picture. for a more compassionate and sustainable earth

oh so u just SAYD u went nonvegan but didnt..? now i see, well i dont see why you should chose between ur mom and the animals. just hang in there - my mom has now given up on turning me carnivore again after 2 years and even agrees with me on some animal/environmental issues so hey, theres hope
    det e bedre at den e dyr - enn at den e døde dyr

like i said, i'm trying to be a vegan and pretty open about it - with exception of mum.
    going to slowly let her "see the light" and inform her. some people, like her, are not open to change and new ideas. they are not willing to open their eyes and their hearts. deep down, they know, but they refuse to believe and refuse to change their current way of living.
    i'm not one of those people. and i dont think that just because mum is not open to change, that i should live according to her ideals.

i would like to share with you all a wonderful podcast:
    Deconstructing Dinner.

it talks about a number of issues on food. very insightful. i've just been listening to one on GMO's and its pretty frightening. On the one talking about eggs and cruelty to chickens, i just had to stop listening. It was so sad to listen to. I dont need to listen to it any more - i know about it already (from other podcasts, books), and i'm no longer an egg eater (nor meat, etc). I just wish others would also understand - just coz we dont eat the chicken, doesnt mean eating eggs is any kinder to the chickens!

PS please let me know what you think of the podcast. i'd love to hear feedbacks from like-minded people. there arent many like-minded people out there that i can talk to!

can I ask you all a question:

is Seitan + rice = complete protein for a meal?
    since seitan is gluten. i know beans + rice is compelte protein but seitan?

Default Re: Trying to become vegan: parents an obstacle?

Hi,
    Regarding parents as an obstacle in trying to become vegan... why not try to see it the other way round? I'd say that one of the most beneficial side effects of going vegan is that it's a great exercise in being oneself (as opposed to try to please others - or even focus on what kind of lifestyle others think you lived.)

Of course it's brilliant to go vegan - you're helping yourself, animals and the environment by doing that - but by being true to yourself, you can potentially achieve a lot of things in your life (for yourself and others - including your parents) that you otherwise can't. It's a great bonus - and it's free!

(FYI: You don't need complete proteins pr. meal - just in case you didn't know...... )

Quote ocicat View Post
    can I ask you all a question:

since seitan is gluten. i know beans + rice is compelte protein but seitan?
    Not sure, but the thinking has changed in this area and nowadays the experts say that you don't need to worry about "protein combining" at every meal - your body is supposed to take care of it as long as you eat a good variety of foods over time.

There is a section called "protein combining - is it necessary?" here

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/foo...on/protein.php

Mairead

Default Re: Parents an obstacle when going vegan?

My Mum was a huge problem when I became vegan (about a week ago), so I made up a kind of booklet thing with why I'm becoming vegan and recipies and stuff in it.
    It was mostly to prove that it wasn't just an overnight thing.
    It worked pretty well

Quote Mairead View Post
    My Mum was a huge problem when I became vegan (about a week ago), so I made up a kind of booklet thing with why I'm becoming vegan and recipies and stuff in it.
    It was mostly to prove that it wasn't just an overnight thing.
    It worked pretty well
    i wish it would work the same on my mum. not a chance. she will refuse to read it. i could not BELIEVE that last week, she was mad at me for being environmentally conscious. i talked to her about choosing local products, which is better for the environment (and our health too). and things like eating more veg and fruit VS animals means more resources (1kg of animal product take more resources to produce than 1kg of vegetation). She was angry and upset - she thinks i'm compromising my quality of life and my health by doing so. and by simple things like turning things off at power point instead of stand-by mode.
    i'm sad. coz she's not the mum i used to look up to.
    so i'm just going to do what i do, and not talk to her about it. for now. one day.
    any how, a visit home last weekend, made her very happy. she was scared i'll lose weight etc from all my talk about veganism. however, i actually put ON weight! (thats a good thing coz i'm thin). that made both of us very happy (i was wondering why my clothes were harder to fit into! i dont have scales at home!). however, a diet of lots of junk food and nuts on my weekend at home was not good..........

iwillact

Default I got my first "dont you think your taking this a little too far?"

I was talking to my mom last night and we where talking about eggs and milk. She said she only buys free range eggs and organic milk. I made what I thought was a postive comment...free range is better than the horrible living conditions of factory chickens. She then said, "dont you think you are taking this a little too far?"
    It was hurtful. I can see where shes coming from. I can be very intense and I think my family takes it as mental illness LOL rather than passionate obsession.
    Im just resigned to the fact that theyll never get me and that I bug them a bit. Oh-well. I am what I am.
    AND I havent eaten any meat since April 5th and although Ive had some slip ups with milk and cheese I feel Ive done very well.
    My DH is very supportive and thats enough for me.

cobweb

Well I'm getting on for 40 years of age and have been Vegan for a lot of those years. Despite having left home 23 years ago, living in a different country to my mother, and being married and a mother myself.......it's still a 'major issue' .

All you can do is what is right for you - and stick to it, firmly but gently .

Why on Earth is should be an issue atall for anyone else, even your parent(s) beats me, maybe some parents just like having an 'issue' to latch onto

Good luck

thanks again for all ur responses
    i know i dont have to combine protein in every meal, but wondering if seitan and rice provides all the basic animo acids (protein), eg for the day??

so far i'm coming along well! pretty much stayed vegan all month (and most of last month), except the frozen mussels which i'm in the process of finishing off (purchased a few months ago before i became vegan).
    also going for a blood test soon just to make sure i'm still healthy and not deficient in iron, etc.

COBWEB: still an issue after 23 years? i hope my mum is an easier nut to crack!

cobweb

Ocicat, just don't worry about your mother is the answer . Mine has an insane preoccupation with sticking her nose into everyone else's business .

but i dont want to have to pretend not to be a vegan whenever i eat with her (not often) and eat meat......

oh well
    hope she'll come around soon

mean while, still looking for cheap quinoa to try.... and trying to get my local health food shop to stock savory yeast 4 me, so i dont have to go to sydney to buy it!

iwillact

What will she do if you dont eat meat when your with her? Eventually she'll most likely respect you for your conviction and as my mom used to say (even though she doesnt get the vegan thing) what can she do? Take away your birthday? Silly I know, but it puts it in perspective a bit. If she doesnt agree with your choices, in the big scheme of things, it doesnt really matter. This is about you and for you and while it can be uncomfortable and sting it may not be as big as it feels at the moment.

itsjos

no one in my family supported me going veggie when i was 13... and to this date 12 years later my family and extended family still try to get me to eat meat ... since ive been vegan they try to tempt me with cheese and cake... not to make it seem hopeless but they may never fully accept your decision or they may come around (my mother doesnt eat much meat or dairy anymore and has switched to a mostly organic diet and thats coming from a fast food junkie so there is hope) stay strong remember its your choice and you will feel better and be healthier

EcoTribalVegan

My mother was the same way. Now she's very supportive of the idea. They only nag because they care. Even the most close-minded mother will realise that it's healthy once you start living the vegan lifestyle.

Iwillact:
    she won't "do" anything if i dont eat meat with her. thats not the point (if i eat it THAT meal or not). the point is if i become vegan or not. she still doesnt know i'm vegan.
    as ITSJOS said, sad but true, that she may never fully accept my decision. still, cant let other people's views and (lack of) understanding affect my own opinion!
    NB i really like a podcast called "vegetarian food for thought". the podcaster is a vegan, and her podcast has given me information, encouragement and strength. i advise everyone to listen to it!

lauren_friday

my mums respnse was, "as long as you live in my house you'll eat cheese!". she thought it was just another part of my eating disorder.

i find some of this terribly sad. my 9 yr old daughters best friend was swayed by her to become vegetarian a few months back. sadly she lasted the week, much to the disgust of my daughter.
    her mum went out immediately and spent mad money on stuff like quorn and god knows what else..sent her round to our house for tea so i could give her tips on what kinds of things she could eat.
    amazingly she found it was 'too difficult' and went back to sausages, toenails and eyeballs or whatever.
    but my (halfhearted) point here is that overall it was her mum's (possibly manipulative) influence to wean her back onto the meat.

lauren_friday...am curious..what was your response to your mum saying that about the cheese?
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

lauren_friday

^^"i wont live in your house then!" i was locked up in a psych ward at the time anyway so it wasnt like i had nowhere to stay.
    (i knew she wouldnt chuck me out over cheese anyway and i bought my own food for the first few months to prove i meant it)

cobweb

the only time my dad ever hit me was when i decided to go veggie as a teenager - he got so mad he gave me a right-hook

it is sad that some parents are like this - they see it as rebellion rather than simple compassion i think that 99% of kids are natural vegetarians

well, i was home on the weekend again (but not every weekend) and was pleasantly able to have a vegan family meal. not intentionally planned by me or parents, of course. they just happened to have made home made noodles (from dough) and only added veggies in the noodle soup. also had some veggie stir fry. yum. grandpa froze the noodles and i took some back home with me.
    oh, and shelled chestnuts (in foil pack, eaten as a snack) are delicious. as were the pecans in shells i was cracking last night. Mmm...

iwillact

Ocicat, I didnt mean any offense. If my tone came off rude Im sorry.

Quote ocicat View Post
    well, i was home on the weekend again (but not every weekend) and was pleasantly able to have a vegan family meal. not intentionally planned by me or parents, of course.
    That worked out well, then, Ocicat! It's funny the way people who make a big deal about the difficulty of vegan food actually eat vegan meals without thinking about it, isn't it?

Like Cobweb vegan eating is an issue in my mothers household too.
    My mother still thinks veganism is something I'm going to "grow out of" and I'm 45 years old
    She has been known to slip cheese into my food sneakily if I go over there for dinner, presumably the very taste will make me want to eat "properly" again
    I say do your own thing and everyone else will just have to lump it - what are they going to do, forcibly insert a nasogastric tube?
    Silent but deadly :p

its funny how some ppl try to sabotage our decisions of being vegan. as though slipping us a bit of cheese or meat is a small victory for them.
    i guess just like how some other ppl like to sabotage people on diets. well, different motivation, at least. those who are trying to convince us to come off from veganism believes they are doing us good.

mean while, i've found a brand of dehydrated seitan that's really good (easier to keep than the fresh stuff), and doesnt have a sour after-taste as the previous brand i tried. cheap too. from asian supermarkets.

<3 andy

Quote Allanimalsrok View Post
    Oh, this is my problem too - my Mum and Dad! I'm trying to become a vegan, but my Mum says vegans 'have no choivce of what to eat' and my Dad even said I can't become one as vegans are often 'strange people'! That's stupid, to be honest, as vegans are lovely people, for caring for animals!
    It's hard for me too, as I'm still at home and will have to start buying my own vegan milk, butter, cheese etc, with my own money, when I don't get much and struggle to keep it as it is. I will definately try though! xx
    That is the EXACT same with me. My parents won't even let me be vegetarian because they think I'll be weird, that I'll lose weight, that humans need meat etc..... It's so unfair. Luckily, I can be vegetarian now (well most of the time) because of my braces. But yeah, it's so hard! I can't wait till I'm officially an adult and can make my own decisions,.

Quote harpy View Post
    If you do feel you're too thin it's quite possible to gain weight on a vegan diet. That'll show her!
    Good plan

Throughout my childhood my mum was concerned about my eating habits, and my parents were definitely an obstacle to my vegetarianism. It took several years in the end. I started to gain weight when I went vegetarian, and I only stopped being underweight when I left home, because I was finally eating healthy balanced meals. How's that for irony!? I gained more when I went vegan...though perhaps that was the cake recipe trialling

My parents didn't stand in the way of my veganism, though they probably thought it was just a fad! I also didn't live at home then so I guess they knew there wasn't much point in protesting.

Mothers usually mean well, but it doesn't mean they know best. Mine has gradually gone almost vegan herself. I know I'm lucky there, but don't let your parents stop you from doing what you know is right. They might admit they were wrong, later.

According to this link, Donald Watson, the main founder of the vegan movement "was a second world war conscientious objector, and his brother and sister also became conscientious objectors, vegetarians, teetotallers and non-smokers. His mother said she "felt like a hen that had hatched a clutch of duck eggs"."

His mother's feelings didn't seem to stop him.

sometimes it seems easier just to give in and be like the masses. saves explaining to every new person why i'm vegan, the ethics behind it, how i get my protein/iron/calcium, etc etc. bleh!!

but no, i shall not give in!!

Paw_Prints

Default Telling my family

Hey, i've been a vegetarian for about two years now, and i've been wanting to make the switch to complete veganism, but i want to know how can expain this to my family, basically. They're really supportive of my vegetarian diet (which i'm very grateful--my dad's even eating vegetarian a few nights a week and he says he feels a lot better without the meat ) Anyway, i'm a runner, and i'm already pretty skinny--not underweight-- and i'm wondering if my mom will let me. I'm already drinking soy milk (non-GMO thankfully ) and i'm eating scrabbled tofu instead of egg.
    I saw the video 'Earthlings' and it made me so sad that i'm tired of eating the eggs and milk in certain products, but i already don't wear wool or silk or leather. I guess, to wrap it all up, i'm afraid of seeming weird or extremeist by making this full switch. Sorry lol if this seems long-winded.

Default Re: Thinking of veganism... How to break it to family?

Hello. It sounds as if your family would probably be quite receptive to the idea, and you are already part of the way there after all.

You mention that you're "already pretty skinny" so does that mean that you think your family will be worried that you're going to lose more weight as a vegan? In that case you could research the topic a bit and explain to them that you can get plenty of calories as a vegan and so you don't need to lose weight (I should know! ). Then of course you'll have to make sure you don't actually lose weight when you go vegan, and that will set their minds at rest.

Calories apart, families tend to worry that vegans won't get the nutrients they need, so before discussing it with them it would be a good idea to make sure you can answer questions like "but where will you get your iron/calcium/protein/vitamins from?"

Some people will probably think you're weird but does that really matter? You can explain to the people who you care about what your reasons are.

Before I went vegan I was kind of skinny. I still had a good BMI but 2 kilo's lighter and I would have underweight. Since I became a vegan I gained a few kilo's. And I became way stronger.
    Probably because of all the tahini ( It's a sesame paste) I am eating now. Nut's and seeds contain lots of food fats, proteins and certain vitamins and minerals. (Almonds and sesame seeds for example are a source of calcium). So it might be a good idea to eat some nuts and seeds everyday to keep a healthy weight.
    It might be a good idea to print this vegan food guide: http://www.nutrispeak.com/becomingveganvfg.htm I found it very helpful.
    I used it a few times in combination with a computer program that can calculate if you get enough vitamins, minerals, protein etc. And the results were very good.
    You can also show this to your family so they know that you are making sure you are getting the nutrients you need.

I simply said, "I think I'm going to go vegan!" which resulted in me explaining it was. After that, I went to the supermarket and bought some soy milk. And that was that.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Paw_Prints

Thanks guys . It was pretty much the soymilk that got me thinking into veganism. I love that stuff lol, strange as it may seem. Maybe i was just a little scared of veganism-- i was the same way before i became vegetarian. I thought that i would try it for two weeks and if i felt good, then i would continue. Well, i felt great so i continued. It was so easy for me so hopefully this will be easy for me too. The website was really helpful cause i was a little concerned about getting enough calcium, but i think i'll be good. My grandparents already thought i was vegan and i had to explain to them that i still consumed milk products well hopefully they won't get anymore confused lol.

leedsveg

I've said this before but it's daft enough to repeat:

After 6 years, my dear old Mum had got used to me being a veggie but when I told her I'd given up other things such as cows milk and eggs, she looked at me and asked "Are you now what they call a vagrant ?" Er, almost. Bless her.

leedsveg

Jippia

I cannot recall exactly how I brought the news to my family. I think I e-mailed my parents and I just told it to my in-laws. Or my husband did. Not all of them are very supportive, but maybe that is because they still have no clue to what veganism is all about and it does not fit into their thinking patterns. Something like that. My parents-in-law made no fuss about it and I think they and my sister were the first ones to accept it. My sister did a little research on the internet and she came to the conclusion it was okay.

Quote leedsveg View Post
    I've said this before but it's daft enough to repeat:

After 6 years, my dear old Mum had got used to me being a veggie but when I told her I'd given up other things such as cows milk and eggs, she looked at me and asked "Are you now what they call a vagrant ?" Er, almost. Bless her.

leedsveg
    haha I would have a perfect Dutch expression for that. (but it would be to hard to explain)

Quote leedsveg View Post
    i've said this before but it's daft enough to repeat:

After 6 years, my dear old mum had got used to me being a veggie but when i told her i'd given up other things such as cows milk and eggs, she looked at me and asked "are you now what they call a vagrant ?" er, almost. Bless her.

Leedsveg
    rofl!

Hi Paw_Prints, it sounds as if you have a really understanding family so I'm sure they won't be too phased by you becoming vegan. I lost a few pounds of weight when I first became vegan, I think that's because I wasn't eating cheese/butter etc which are full of fat, but I quickly put the lost pounds back on again! I used to have stomach complaints before I became vegan but they went a few weeks after being vegan...........something I am eternally grateful for!
    I look forward to hearing more from you and how you are getting on as the days go by!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Paw_Prints

lol, leedsveg, that's hilarious .
    My family's always been super accepting of my decisions, so they probably won't "forbid" me or anything. My grandparents are taking me to a new vegan restaurant for my birthday, and i'm super excited. I also had my first vegan cheeseless pizza, and to be perfectly honest, i feel a lot better after eating it. I ate like four slices, though, which is a lot considering i usually eat like two lol. I guess, i just need to finish off those fake buffalo wings in the refridgerator-- they contain egg whites-- and the veggie burgers in the freezer that also contain milk, and i'll be able to switch

LadyBug

Question Explaining vegan diet to parents

Hello all! I am interested in going vegan. I have recently been trying to eliminate animal products from my diet slowly, but my parents are having a very hard time with it. they strongly disapprove to say the least. I have tried to reason with them by explaining the health benefits, but they think that by not eating meat or dairy, i am harming myself. I am 18, and understand they are worried by the sudden change. how can i explain to them that eating a vegan diet is not harmful or naive?

Default Re: Explaining vegan diet to parents

how can i explain to them that eating a vegan diet is not harmful or naive?
    Welcome!

My parents didn't suggest that eating vegan was a bad ida when I started eating vegan at home around 15-16, but if they would have done that, I think my first step would be to ask them to explain how a vegan diet would be be a bad idea, or - in your case - "harmful or naive".

You could also show them this:
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...getarian-diets