Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Forum hints, tips & info

Default Forum hints, tips & info

If you mainly visit the Global Forums (as opposed to the Local Forums), you can see them all, including sub-forums (sub-forums = forums inside other forums) by clicking on... Global Forums!
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Exclamation New member? Can't post?

Hi,

New members need to follow the instruction in the welcome mail (yes, the one you get after you register.)

It's simple: you only have to click on a link, and you only have to do it once. (Some people forget this, and contact us with questions about problems with postings etc..)

Good luck!

If you have a slow internet connection, or for some other reason want a really fast and simple overview of the threads, try the 'Archive' option at the bottom of the page...

Using the little icon on the main forum page, you can expand/collapse parts of the front page if you don't want to see them. Your browser should remember this setting next time you visit our site.

Default Go to last post

On the main page, when you see the newest posts in each subforum (by thread title), clicking on the name of the thread itself will take you to the first post in that thread.

If you rather want to go to the last post in the same thread, you need to click on the little blue graphic symbol shown just after the info about the post:
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you want to manually quote parts of another post, you need to type [/quote] after the the part you want to quote, and [quote] before it.

Here's how to create a link:

1) Click on the 'Create Link'-icon, which looks like this:
    2) Enter the text to be displayed for the link, for example "more info here", and click 'OK'.
    3) Enter the URL of your link, for example http://www.veganforum.com, and then 'OK'.

That's it.

The link is always placed after what you have written, if you don't want it there, cut & paste it to wherever you want it.

If you don't know what a link is, here is an example.

Any questions?

(PS - the 'Create link' icon is only visible if you go 'Quote' or 'Post reply'.)

Hello Korn,

sorry if these sound like stupid questions, or if they've been answered elsewhere.

firstly i used to be able to jump to a particular page in any thread from the index, but i don't seem to be able to do this anymore. the page numbers used to be listed as links under the heading, and now they're gone. is this something to do with my settings, or is it no longer available?

secondly, is there a way of jumping to the last post *you read* in a particular thread? in some of the threads that are really long and popular, it's no good just going to the most recent post because i've often missed quite a few posts, and have to either start from the beginning or retrace back from the end until i find the last one i read!

Thanks!

Quote Gorilla
    firstly i used to be able to jump to a particular page in any thread from the index, but i don't seem to be able to do this anymore. the page numbers used to be listed as links under the heading, and now they're gone.
    Hmmm.... I don't have that problem here. Are others having the same problem?

secondly, is there a way of jumping to the last post *you read* in a particular thread?
    I have discovered that when clicking on 'New Posts' - and then click on a thread in the list of threads containing new posts since your last visit, the software actually takes me to the page where the last unread post is. Have you tried that?

Hi Korn, i usually use the new posts list. if i click on the thread title it takes me to the first post in the thread, and if i click on the most recent post button it takes me to (obviously?!) the most recent post, regardless of whether i've read the posts before it. i can't seem to get anywhere in between.

i've been having a lot of trouble with the forum on my Mac at work which i assumed was because of the browser i have to use, and so put up with some of the 'difficulties' this causes with reading the forum! but now i'm also having the above-mentioned problems on my PC at home, which is why i wondered if my user settings were somehow affected: the Mac seems to reset a lot of my preferences, but i can't seem to find any way of changing these problems back at home.

sorry if this doesn't make much sense, it's not too major a problem - it would just make reading the forum quite a lot easier for me if i could sort it out!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla
    if i click on the thread title it takes me to the first post in the thread, and if i click on the most recent post button it takes me to (obviously?!) the most recent post, regardless of whether i've read the posts before it.
    I just read about others with similar problems on another board, so it might a bug or compatibility issues in the board software.

i've been having a lot of trouble with the forum on my Mac at work which i assumed was because of the browser i have to use
    I use a Mac too... which browser (version) and OS (version) do you use?

i use Internet Explorer (Mac Edition) 4.5, i guess that's pretty old but i can't do anything about it!

as for the OS i'm not sure, how would i find out? i have a very old 'Power PC G3' Mac. the system overview says it's v8.1, if that means anything.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

If you want to stick with the old operating system on Mac (= before OSX), I'd try version 9.2.2 if I were you. Even better, OSX 10.3.4 or newer with Safari (which is included) or another modern browser like Opera, Firefox or Omniweb. OS 8.1 is rather old and I suspect this could cause the problems you have. Unfortunately, regarding your Windows-machine, I have no suggestions. Maybe others have?

thanks Korn, unfortunately i have no choice about updating my Mac system because it's for work. don't know why the problems are also affecting my PC at home, but it uses Windows 98 and i think i have the most recent update of Internet Explorer, whichever one that is, 6.5 or something.

if anyone has any ideas i'd be grateful

Quote Gorilla
    If i click on the thread title it takes me to the first post in the thread, and if i click on the most recent post button it takes me to (obviously?!) the most recent post, regardless of whether i've read the posts before it.
    Please have a look at the pic below...

If you click on the blue little square with a 'v' inside (on the left side of the word 'Chat') you should be able to jump to the first new post since your last visit...

Also, when looking at the front page of the forum, where the last post in each forum is shown, clicking on the thread title itself should give the same result.

Also, when looking at the front page of the forum, where the last post in each forum is shown, clicking on the thread title itself should give the same result.
    ...as illustrated in the pic below. Note: In some cases, holding the mouse over certain areas (for a couple of seconds) will reveal useful info about that object.

Thanks Korn that little 'v' symbol is not there when viewing on my Mac. not sure if it's there when i look at it at home, i'll have to check.

if i click on the thread title it now takes me to the last unread post, but i'm sure it wasn't doing that before

At the bottom of the page you'll find a list of threads about topic related to the one you are looking at. For example, if you're in the All About Tofu-Thread, the 'Similar Threads'-list should look like this:

Thanks korn.

The blue little square with a 'v' inside thingy is very helpful by the way.

Default Re: Board hints & tips

how can i get two peoples quotes in the same reply?

duh, sorry

To make a paragrapgh get the quote-look, it needs to have [/quote]in the end, and [quote] in the beginning. You can either type this manually, or use the quote-icon (see pic) twice: click on it once before the quote, and once after.

The quote-icon is the icon on the right-most side of the upper row, inside the blue little block:

Some of you may not have noticed the QuickLinks-menu (next to the Search-menu). It simplifies the navigation a bit. (It might behave and look different than on the pic below, depending on what OS and which browser you use).

thanks Korn, the Quick Links menu is useful, although it doesn't appear in the navigation bar when i'm viewing the forum on my Mac at work. but that reminded me, they upgraded my Internet Explorer to version 5 at work and the forum works so much better now than it did before (as i was complaining about in my earlier posts in this thread! ) it's still not as good as on my PC at home but i don't get any of the weird stuff that i used to.

Korn, i meant to ask a while back, but is there any chance of getting the Who's Online list at the bottom of the main page in alphabetical order like it used to be? i know it's in alphabetical order on the actual Who's Online page but i'd rather be able to check out everybody on the front page, and it's not very easy to read all jumbled up.

only a small point i know but it's been bothering me!!

Done.

Most members do already but please please please use descriptive titles when posting a new threads.

When looking at a thread title you should be able to tell what that thread is going to be all about.

The veganforum is getting bigger and members time is valuable, so using descriptive thread titles helps when members new and old search, and spares members from having to click on threads they're not interested in simply because the thread title isn't clear. E.g. check this out, or try this.

It also makes it easier to find existing threads that need to be merged with new threads of the same topic.

Geoff

Quote cedarblue

also..if i log out, what does 'all cookies cleared' mean?
    (computer-jargon illiterate)
    I assume it means that, if you log out, the cookies are cleared from your computer, which means that the system won't know who you are next time you visit and you'll have to re-enter your log on details.
    No point in logging out unless you don't want other people have access to your computer and you don't want them to see your PMs etc.

thank you!

Again:
    If you want to manually quote parts of another post, you need to type [/quote] after the the part you want to quote, and [quote] before it.

(And by the way, the reason I write [quote] first, is that if I did, I would be creating a quote instead of explaining how to create them....)

The other option is to click on the quote icon once before, and once after you have pasted in the part you want to quote.

If you want to quote the whole post, you can press 'Quote' instead of 'Post Reply', the whole post will automatically be quoted.

If you don't need to have the whole post quote, you can remove the parts you don't need.

Hi, there's a new parameter field added to the profile page now ( http://www.veganforum.com/forums/pro...do=editprofile ), where you can enter info about your occupation - if you want to.

Hi, a couple of hints re. using quotes and readability: If what you write refer to the last post in the thread, and if that post isn't very long, you don't need to use quotes. If you need to refer to an earlier post, please quote only the sentence you want to comment, and not the whole post.

Quote Korn
    Hi, a couple of hints re. using quotes and readability: If what you write refer to the last post in the thread, and if that post isn't very long, you don't need to use quotes. If you refer to an earlier post, please quote only the sentence you want to comment, and not the whole post. Thanks!
    OK, fine, will do tht from now on.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Default posting the picture

Go to http://imageshack.us/ .Click on ''browse'' button, it will open menu tree of your PC. Click twice on your picture, then click on ''Host it!'' button. Your pic will be copied on that site, new page with your pic on it will open. Mark and copy ''1st link for forums'' and paste it in your post. When you paste it it will be text, when you send post it will be thumbnail of your pic. That's it, it's clickable for enlarging so it saves space here in forum.

Good luck,
    Zeljko
    http://www.prijatelji-zivotinja.hr/index.en.php

Arrow IMPORTANT: About the Permission Groups

There is a function in the vBulletin software that allows subforums to be created... forums available to everyone, but allowance is based on that each user has to enter his user control panel (User CP, see above, upper left corner) and click on a 'Join-button' in order to get access to that subforum. The join-button is found under 'Group Memberships'.

Such subforums could be based on a certain topic, a certain group of people that want to chit-chat together, or anything else. Everybody are free to join or leave the groups whenever they want, so it's not a exclusive clique-thing.

As an example, we could have a group called Babbling, which could be about not talking about anything in particular, and those who joined this group would get access to the Babbling-subforum, which would be dedicated totally off-any-possible-topic kind of talk....

The board rules, which basically are about not being unfriendly with other members/not encouraging anything illegal are still valid in the user forums.

Reserving subforums for topics (or lack thereof) that other members are not interested in reading about, could possibly solve potential issues with having too much so called 'background noise', since people who wouldn't be interested in eg. threads about being drunk or tipsy wouldn't join a group/forum where these kinds of discussion would find place. I definitely don't consider chit-chat noise, but too much chit-chat could be received as background 'noise' in certain areas, eg. for people who look for info about a certain, different topic.

If you want to try our first test user group, called Chat Zone, go to the User CP, and join the group there. It is located under Group Membership.

After you have joined the group, you need to look inside the members only forum called [Member Zone]. Look above all the threads - there you'll find a subforum only visible to people who have joined the Chat Zone.

Default Re: Our first joinable user group!

I've made some changes to the User Group settings. Please look here (or here, and click on Group Memberships) for more info.

Greentara 1

A polite reminder to members.

To help keep threads on topic, if you are posting with another member or members almost instantly, like a conversation or chat, if you pm the members and then all get onto the chat room function you can chat away to your hearts content without the original thread getting too off topic.

Too much off topic-ness can be confusing for new members who maybe looking for info, help and advice.

Thanks

Quick link to the chat room here http://www.veganforum.com/talk/index.php

Or join the new chatzone for registered members that Korn has recently created.

Happy chatting.

Thanks Greentara.

Will try and keep threads on topic from now on. I guess we do have all those chit chat threads and the Official Thread About Nothing in Particular, for a reason

I've tried to change the color of my signature line and underline titles of books in my posts. It won't work. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong (computer illiteracy here). I also notice that some members messages are in different colors, like Roxy with her pretty purple (my favorite color).

Any suggestions?

Quote Korn
    Hi, a couple of hints re. using quotes and readability: If what you write refer to the last post in the thread, and if that post isn't very long, you don't need to use quotes. If you refer to an earlier post, please quote only the sentence you want to comment, and not the whole post. Thanks!
    Just a little note about 'over-quoting': it's gotten a lot better since we discussed this in November. Thanks!

Hello, I am new here and I have a question, I can't seem to create a new thread in the "say hello" forum of the members forums... it says I am not authorized? While I can create new threads in other forums and I have already been authorized and validated...

Thanks in advance

Hi Rain Nymph, we are working on improving/editing/changing some settings right now. Sorry for the confusion. Things should work as expected later today or tomorrow!

Korn

PS - feedback from others about possible unexpected behavior is also most welcome!

Default What's the purpose of the main forum?

I see so many posts in the main forum which then get moved. With so many other forums and sub-forums, what is the main forum actually supposed to contain?

Default Re: What's the purpose of the main forum?

Maybe it's like a big ''Inbox" for things that don't have a place yet?

The obvious ones probably get sorted promptly.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

To get an idea of what it is supposed to contain, just look at the kind of posts that are not moved to other areas!

I guess people, especially new members post here until they don't know that we have dedicated forums for certain topics, or don't have the time to check out where to post something. Plus, some threads could easily be posted in several of our subforums, so I don't blame people for being confused. Maybe we have too many subforums?

I don't think we have too many, it's just that the others seem to cover all eventualities. It has a kind of "redundant" feeling about it sometimes. Not that all the information contained in it is useless, far from it! It just doesn't have a well-defined character like the others. I was just wondering what the original thinking behind it was.

'The Main Forum' is shorter than 'General discussion about vegan related topics of the kind that won't easily fit into any of the other subforums', and I went for the shorter solution.

Like 'Everything Else', it's a general forum, but always vegan related. We could have called it 'General vegan discussion', but.... didn't.

Just found this very useful video clip. Every forum user should watch it http://www.linuxbench.org/Posting.html

Is the info about our skype settings part of the new look forum, or down to skype themselves? (Underneath our avatars, the skype symbol changes to on/offline, whereas it didn't before.)
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote RedWellies View Post
    Is the info about our skype settings part of the new look forum, or down to skype themselves? (Underneath our avatars, the skype symbol changes to on/offline, whereas it didn't before.)
    I changed a setting here.

Default How to find other forum members in your area

Hi,

There's an 'Advanced Search' function in the member list.

If you go to the Member List, and then Click 'Search Members', you need to select 'Advanced Search'.

By entering eg. UK, USA, Brighton or Boston under 'Location', you'll find other members from that area - if they have entered their location there.

Just in case you didn't know.