Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Forum hints, tips & info

Default Re: How to find other forum members in your area

Ohhhh - thanks Korn! I'm going to try it now

Default "I changed my email address - what happened to my account?"

If you change your email address, the software we use is set up in such a way that your account (after an email change) will behave the same way as a new, non-approved account.

In other words: you'll have to confirm your new email address by responding to the message that the software sends to your new email address (this is the same message that's automatically sent to all new members).
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Board hints & tips

In case someone is wondering, here's all you'll probably need to know in order to make quotes look like quotes (see image below).

1) Quotes will automatically look like quotes if you use the Quote-button instead of the Post Reply-button before you respond to a message.

2) If you reply by using the quote-button, the quote may contain more text than needed. When/if you remove the text, make sure you don't remove [/quote] or [quote]&#160;or [QUOTE=Korn;230880]. (<- The name (in this example 'Korn') shows the name of the member you have quoted, the number is a link to the specific message you are replying to.)

2) The upper image below may be useful if you edit something and get lost...

3) A simple way to manually make something look like a quote is simply to select some text and press the quote button (see the picture at the bottom) - this way, the forum software will wrap the proper quote tags around the selected text for you. (This should work in most browsers).

4) If you quote a message, please remove the text that's not relevant to your reply.

5) If you want to quote parts of several messages, press the multi-quote button...

...inside each of the messages you want to quote, and then click on Post Reply. (Note: the multi-quote button looks different if you have chosen another skin/style than Kelisa).

Picture 7 (below) shows how a quote should start and end.
    Picture 12 shows the Quote-icon (the way it looks inside the message editor).

Still confused? Here's the simple version:
    • You don't need to think about how to make quotes look right if you create them by pressing the quote button.
    • If you get lost, wand want to edit your post, make sure that the text that is meant to get the 'quote look' always need to start with either [quote]&#160;or eg. [QUOTE=user name;353253] and end with
    • If you are still confused, try to edit one of your posts that contain a quote that looks normal, and see how the quote tags are set up in that post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi, I'm new.

How do I upload an avatar?

I've been away for several weeks but when clicking on the button which normally takes me to the first unread post in a thread I'm only getting back as far as a few days. I think this was happening in December before I left too - has the forum developed a fault?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I think this always has been happening if people have been away for more than a few days... but could be wrong (I've never been away for more than a day or two myself - maybe someone else knows more about this than me?)

Hi Korn

I've tried to check out this from FAQs but cannot find it - what do the various letter icons mean? some are red & some are green, some opened & some not (means unread by me so far?)

probably this should be self-explanatory, so sorry if I'm being a dimwit here.

Hi Chrissy,

Here you go:

= New Posts
    = No New Posts
    = You have posted in this thread

Red means 'hot' (more than xx posts)

(If you look at the bottom of the (forum) pages, you may find a more detailed explanation there...)

Aha! *now* it seems obvious d'uh.

Thanks - am a much happier bunny now.

Eureka! I now see the letter icons at the bottom of 'The Main Forum' page, haven't been navigating there before.

That's one thing that definitely decreases with age, capacity/speed at picking up new stuff; it all balances though - It's become easier to admit I need help

Unhappy Re: Board hints & tips

A polite reminder to members.

.snipped.....

Quick link to the chat room herehttp://www.veganforum.com/chat/
    That link doesn't work for me

Or join the new chatzone for registered members that Korn has recently created.

Happy chatting.
    How?

RubyDuby

didn't work for me either-- try this
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Quote Korn View Post
    Red means 'hot'
    Thank you.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote RedWellies View Post
    Thank you.

Khashoggi

Is it possible to turn off auto-subscription to threads? :s

Hi Khashoggi,
    Have a look here....
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/pro...do=editoptions

Khashoggi

Quote Korn View Post
    Thanks! I knew it'd be somewhere obvious but couldn't for the life of me find it.

Default New members (and others): Check your junk mail folder!

Hi,

If you haven't received the activation email you automatically should receive after you registered - please check your junk mail folder. We've had some reports lately about various email notifications that has ben caught by junk mail filters...

If any email notifications have been filtered by your junk mail settings, make sure you select the message and click on "Not Junk Mail", this should ensure that future messages (about new posts, PMs etc) will reach you, and not only your junk mail folder!

In order to complete your registration, you also need to actually respond to the email you get, other wise you'll end up with a not really useful "Awaiting email confirmation" type account...

Default Our new 'Tag Search' function

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/tags.php

With the introduction of tags, it has now become easier to find threads you are looking for:

• You can use the Tag Search function, found in the Search Menu (available in most skins)

• If you read posts in a thread that has been tagged, you can click on the tag below the thread, and find more threads about the same topic (if they are tagged). All tags are entered manually, so this is a better solution than the 'Similar Threads' list.

Both users and moderators can tag threads. All tags are visible for all users - so please don't use tags for personal bookmarking of threads, or on short lived threads (eg. please don't tag a thread called 'I need an apartment in London for a month"...)

There's no need to tag all threads about a given topic - please just tag only the most important/essential threads.

If you manually enter a tag, already existing tags will be shown after you have typed in the three first characters. If this happens, you can click on that (already existing tag) instead entering (the rest of) it manually.

Here's an example of how you can use the tag system: If you click on the words 'forum info' below this thread, you'll find more threads with useful forum information - but only the most important forum info threads have been tagged.

Hint: It's good if we can avoid creating lots of similar tags, like 'food ideas' and 'meal ideas'...

Returned!

Question: What's the tolerance level on this board, in general?

Obviously we all share one combining trait: Veganism! It's a powerful bond, but we're all individuals, we all stray on various points.

I was just wondering this after my post in the Abortion thread, and I realized my opinion is very.. very controversial.

Do you ever kick people out for being simply too 'extreme' 'out there' 'controversial', ect? Or are they simply phased out by being ignored by everyone else?
    --do not be a victim----do not be a perpetrator-----
    -----but above all else-----do not be a bystander.--
    (Newly returned to veganism and this forum)

Well, my opinion is, since the abortion thread exists for people to share their thoughts on abortion, it'd be pretty dumb for us to expect anyone to suppress their thoughts on the matter.

Personally, I don't find your views on abortion particularly offensive, and I think for the most part, while there may be some debate, board members won't get all that upset about it.

However, one aspect of that post and the above post that is a little offensive to me is that you seem to think it's very likely that we'd be so unthinkingly reactionary and chase you out like Frankenstein's monster. I understand that it's probably based on some bad experiences that you've had while sharing your opinions, but it's still kind of a backhanded way of saying that we're likely not very capable of considering fair points of view. Just something to think about.

Anyway, as long as there are no personal attacks or a bunch of profanity, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be embraced by the board. We're nice people here, and I think we welcome different points of views, especially when a thread asks for them. I don't mean to speak for everyone, but that's the vibe I've gotten from my year and half here.

Returned!

.. You'd be right on the bad experiences. I've been banned from 2 forums and can't post on another without being flamed endlessly.

-sighs-

I'll go edit that, you're right, it isn't fair to assume people WILL become upset.. I just know, as I've expressed that opinion before, that most people find it appalling.

I don't think your views are all that extreme at all, to be honest.

Nor me - but maybe we're just the superliberal arm of the VeganForum community? Some of the other views on that thread I find either a bit creepy or really stupid, but I don't have a problem with people expressing them.

I just post how I feel about things...............I don't expect everyone else to agree with me, nor do I expect to change anyone else's opinion.
    As long as we are all respectful of each other and don't post in an aggressive/provoking manner, everything should be fine!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Returned!

Mhr.. I tend to get aggressive over topics I feel passionately about.. I'm sure I'm currently toeing the line in the Abortion thread..

I dunno, somehow I always wind up in the really controversial subjects and I usually am on the minority side of the fence..

Hint: if you double-click on a subforum-icon (on the left side of each subforum name), that subforum will be marked as read. This means that next time you click on New Posts (this option is only available for logged in members), the posts from that subforum won't be included in the (sometimes rather long) New Posts-list.

You can also occasionally mark all subforums as read (click here if you want to do that right now). This will cause your next click on New Posts to only show the actual new posts since your last visit/since last time you marked all forums as read.
    Last edited by Korn; Sep 4th, 2008 at 07:55 PM.

Default Not currently a vegan?

If you currently have a "Not Currently A Vegan" account, and have become a vegan since you registered, please send us a note by using the Contact Us link at the bottom of our main forum page.

If you eat vegan food, but are not a vegan, or for other reasons want to discuss or ask questions about vegan food and health, you may now post in the new "Food/health questions from newbies & 'near-vegans" section.

This subforum is not "moderated", meaning that your posts will show up without any delay.

The Vegan vs. non-vegan discussion subforum is now "officially" open, and is unmoderated for members who want it (read: who have joined the Vegan vs. non-vegan discussion user group) and members with a Not Currently Vegan account.

The unmoderated subforums (for not-yet-vegans) are marked with an asterisk (*).

The contents of these two forums are currently visible for

Unregistered users
    Members with a 'Not Currently A Vegan' account
    Vegan members who have joined the Vegan vs. non-vegan discussion user group.
    Registered users who are not logged in

Under the possting rules at the foot of the page it says I may not post attachments. Why is that and how can I change it?
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

We're saving hard disk space that way, and especially since members often forget to resize images, that's a very good thing. Pictures can be uploaded to image sites anyway (with links posted here). This isn't a setting that users can change.

Default We can only send activation emails to the address stored in your account

Hi,

I got this today:

I wanted to change the account my email notifications were sent to. I changed it but now I can't access that email, it's broken. So I can't get my activation email. My other email is *************, could you send one to that?
    My username is **********. The old email I originally used is************.
    Thank you
    We can only send activation emails to the address stored in your account - otherwise, this could be used to get access to others' accounts. If you can't log in and change your account info, and don't have access to the email address associated with that account, just create a new account.

Best,
    K

Default Forum access

(This is more or less a copy of something I wrote in the More stable server connection now?-thread.)

Hi all,

I've been having some phone calls and exchanged mails with various tech people at our server tech people - and also with the vBulletin developers - over the last week. The reason is that we have had some database error problems lately, and also that the server at times has been slower than it usually is.

It seems that our members are using the forum more actively than before, meaning that the database is accessed more often than it has been earlier. This happens eg. when the built-in search function is being used.

Instead of taking the big step (and extra costs) and move to a new server, we'll still look into which options we have for server optimizations etc..

Meanwhile, we'll reserve the Member Area area for supporters/paying subscribers. This will reduce some of the database activity.

The main areas will still be open for all registered users. If you have donated through the donation bar at the top of the page - or have used the Paid Subscriptions option in the user control panel - you should by now be assigned to an additional user group called "Supporters", which has access to the Member Area.

There have been some changes re. how the link between donations/subscriptions and full forum access works. Some settings have been changed today. For technical reasons, there is a slight risk that some of our 50-60 supporters' settings will need some further tweaking over the next couple of days.

Please send me a PM if you think that you for some reason don't have access to the areas you should have access to - or have other comments. Thanks for your patience while we still are working on the database error messages!

Thanks,
    Korn
    Last edited by Korn; Jul 31st, 2009 at 10:17 AM.

Non

Default Why can't I post?

I activated my account a long time ago, and registered a long time ago, yet I still can't post. Could a mod please activate my account or please tell me what's going on?
    Thanks

Default Re: Why can't I post?

Hi Non,
    this forum is reserved for vegans, but when you registered, you selected the "I am eating only vegan food, but I'm not a vegan"-option. That's why you can't post...

kieran

I've got a similar issue. Can anyone tell me why I can't post?

Hi Kieran,

we get membership requests every day, and as explained in our FAQ - we have reserved the right to put accounts on moderation (meaning that posts may be delayed or even deleted) "without further explanation".

Reasons for having restricted posting abilities could be all kinds of things - from not answering the required questions during the registration process (or just providing "dummy answers"), to be a "vegan-fooder" who use (non-food) animal product and more...

sometimes it's been hard to avoid non vegan products.. most especially when I take gel capsules for vitamins, and wear, and use non vegan products.

but the food I eat is totally vegan.
    Hi ghost,

As I'm sure you know, being vegan is about more than food, and it's actually simple to avoid gel capsules ... if you need supplements, just buy supplements without gelatin capsules!

Cool "the administrator may have disabled your account/may be awaiting activation"

*******, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    Hi all, I just got this message on another vBulletin based forum I'm a member of, so I'm just posting this little note to let you know that the error messages in our forum software can be quite misleading at times.

I'm pretty sure the reason I got this message over at the other forum is that I tried to follow a link to a thread that was moved outside the public area. I've done this both here and on two other forums I've been an admin of. Sometimes mods/admins move threads eg. to the moderator area (or just "soft-delete" it) instead of actually removing it. A message indicating that the computer believes that you may be trying to "access administrative features" or that the admin "may have disabled your account" doesn't exactly try to ensure you that you have done nothing wrong, so if you see such messages on our forum, please send me a PM. I'll try to trace the error messages down and reword them if necessary. (We've done that with some messages already.)

Thanks in advance - and if you send me such a note, please add something about what you did just before you got the message.
    Last edited by Korn; Oct 25th, 2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Had been typing too fast!

Hint: the new, rightmost Quote button at the bottom of each message will place only the text you have selected inside a quote, not the full text.

that's useful, thanks Korn.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Default Re: IMPORTANT: About our joinable user groups ('zones')...

Hi, the member area seems to have vanished, any reason for this?
    I kissed a duck - and I liked it

Default Re: IMPORTANT: About our joinable user groups ('zones')...

Hi,

In some limited periods this area is only available for paying subscribers, eg. when we have too much traffic...

OTOH - if you are a paying subscriber and can't access that area, something is wrong!

Default Note about PayPal-transactions

Hi,
    we are in contact with PayPal about sorting out why we currently don't get an automatic notification if a forum member has paid of a so called 'Paid Subscription'.

If you have donated money or added a Paid Subscription, and still don't have access to the Member Area and the USer Groups, please let me know as soon as possible!

Thanks.

Hi all,

Here's how you can check if threads about a given topic already exists:

• Click on Search, and select Advanced Search.

• Search for whatever you want info about in the thread titles only. See image below.

If you want to keep searching for threads this way, use 'Save Search Preferences" at the bottom of the page.

Kimberlily1983

Default Profile Picture Does Not Show

I went and uploaded a pretty picture a couple/few days ago, but it's still not showing up beside my posts. Advice?

Default Re: Profile Picture Does Not Show

Because it's a profile picture and not a so called 'avatar'. The pictures next to your messages are called avatars...

Kimberlily1983

Oh. *feels a bit silly*

Thanks!

Don't worry, we're all silly in here.

Default We do have a Classifieds section now!

We do have a Classifieds section now!
    Last edited by Korn; Sep 2nd, 2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Edited the original post in this thread + deleted the others, since we have a Classified subforum now!

Default Re: We do have a Classified section now!

I just edited the original post in this thread + deleted the others (and changed the thread title) since we do have a Classified subforum now!