Thread: have attempted to go vegan three times - please help

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

Default have attempted to go vegan three times - please help

Hi,
    my name is stephanie and i have attempted to go vegan three times. I find it hard- i was living with housemates at uni and they were quite unsupportive and wud take the mick out of me. Lame excuse i know. I've moved out of that house now and live with my mum and boyfriend. Really want to be vegan and i'm trying to lose weight at the moment on the wieght watchers diet. Was thinking i might be taking on too much doing the diet and trying to go vegan today. Any pointers on how to start off on the right foot? any tips for going vegan?
    My boyfirend thinks i'm a bit of an awkward eatingwhen we go out for meals but other than that he accepted it. However, because i have tried many a time before- people will likely consider it a fad and knock me down which is quite unmotivating.

stephanie
    starving weight watchers dieter
    xx

Default Re: please help

Hi Yum.

I think once you have truly made up your mind that being vegan is right for you, you will succeed. Some people do seem to have a few "goes" at being vegan before they finally commit. Hopefully, this is the right time for you. Just because you couldn't stick at it before doesn't mean you won't this time. There is loads of help and support on this forum. You only have to ask.

If you follow a healthy vegan diet (not eating processed foods,etc) you shouldn't need to be on Weightwatchers. Make sure you do some form of excercise as often as you can. Even a brisk walk every day makes a big difference.

Do you like to cook? If so, cook for your boyfriend and your mum, then they get to eat the same as you and you won't feel "left out".

Have a look at this section of the forum for weight loss advice.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I've heard that veganism and Weightwatchers is actually a good combination because there are lots of vegan foods that are free points (or however the system works) so it encourages you to have lots of lovely veg

If you think people will take the micky just don't tell them for a while

Hi Stephanie - I came across this yesterday - http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/guides/v_plan_guide.pdf
    maybe it will give you some ideas about stuff you can eat? You should certainly be able to lose weight without feeling hungry if you fill up on fruit and veg.

Good luck; sounds as if it might be a bit easier this time without your old housemates to contend with. If you do a bit of research you can probably find places where you can eat out without making a big scene. Indian restaurants are often quite helpful for example.

cheers!
    I think i won't make a big deal about it by making a grand announcment 'i'm going vegan!'
    I'll try and find my feet first. I know veganism is the right thing. I've been a vegetarian for 6 years and being vegan is the natural next step.

Redwellies: I joined a gym last month and love it. I wouldn't say i was overwieght i 've been doing weight watchers to eat sensibly because without these points i go mad and eat fatty foods.
    At uni at the moment and managed to pick up a vegan hummous wrap thingy with chickpeas- yum.

Maybe if i go shopping i can look for exciting things to eat that are vegan. I don't think i can juggle weightwatchers and a new vegan diet together but i'll give it ago

If i'm not eating cheese, choc etc i sudn't put that much weight on (despite lack of self control with fast food!)

Thanks for all your advice
    i use to go on here alot when i was first vegan which was for 3 months

i cook for my boyfriend lots of veggie meals because i refuse to cook meat and he loves it

xx
    stephanie

Default Re: please help - have attempted to go vegan three times

I did Weight Watchers and went vegan around the same time (a few months apart). Lots of vegan foods are low in points and you won't be tempted by high-calorie desserts from the bakery or restaurant because they won't be vegan.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

BlackDog

Quote yum View Post
    Hi,
    my name is stephanie and i have attempted to go vegan three times. I find it hard- i was living with housemates at uni and they were quite unsupportive and wud take the mick out of me.
    'Taking the mick' out of someone who is saving animals from a life of torture and an early death, is pathetic. It's an unfortunate aspect of 'human nature' that we tend to rubbish people who are doing better then us ('Tall Poppy' syndrome).
    If I ever feel unmotivated I think of the animals.

Ratiocinator

Maybe this documentary will help you. Perhaps showing it to your mother and bf might help too?

It is the tv documentary version of the best selling book Diet For a New America by John Robbins. It covers some disturbing facts about the environmental and health consequences of farming and eating animals.

I think if ever you feel weak (as in unable to remain vegan) or those around you give you a bad time then just read [to them] some facts, such as those mentioned in the video.

A list of the 'realities' facts, as taken from the book Diet For a New America, can be found here: http://boston.earthsave.org/realities.htm

The documentary (59 minutes):

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...+a+new+america

did you really 'fail' three times? really gorge on grilled cheese sandwiches and choc shakes for a week .... or just slip a bit?

Expect a few slips under some conditions as a learning curve but if it is a fast food addiction (I was a binge eater) then that deserves the attention it is seeking.

You'll get there in the end. Best of luck!
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Ratiocinator

If fast food (fast filth) is a problem, then just remember that what makes it addictive and desirable is the aspartame, MSG, and other additives that tend to be added to it in large quantities.

These things are addictive excitotoxins and are EXTREMELY harmful to health. If a person is addicted to junk food their addiction is more often than not analogous to the addiction of a drug addict to heroin.

I urge everyone to educate themselves on the dangers of aspartame, MSG, and other additives, plus all the other names these poisons are called.

Hi Yum, good luck on going vegan, hope it works out for you this time
    I think it is usually difficult at first for people around you to understand, it was for my family anyway. But I think if you show them how tasty and healthy vegan food can be they will hopefully eventually learn to accept this as part of your life.
    My advice would just be to take one day at a time, you might slip up at first, as you're getting used to things, but try to not beat yourself up about it - I know when I first went vegan 3 and a half years ago, I went pretty much from being an omni, and I had a few slip ups. Instead of being disheartened though I carried on.
    I think cooking meals for yourself is a good thing to do when you can, as it is probably generally healthier and lower in fat etc.
    That's a shame about your previous housemates, I know what that can be like - glad you don't have to live with them anymore!
    "On the dance-floor I am a world class freak... Its the beat"

Default Re: have attempted to go vegan three times - please help

thanks for all your help! I haven't bought anything that hasn't been vegan since last week. I haven the odd thing that is dairy in the house and don't fancy eating it much. I ordered some vegan choc from animal aid and can't wait for them to arrive- if i have only one a day that is kind of sticking to my diet
    I have also been cooking from the vegan cookbook by leah leneman- i have two of them. I'm finding lots of easy things to make, recipes i never thought i could make again, and some of them r good on the waistline! I made a potato salad, a sundried tomato spagetti thingy (yum!), and tofu stir-frie.
    Mum is jubious about me being a vegan- 'you won't stick to it'- pants to that!!
    also had an alpro choc dessert with raspberries which is low in fat so its going well so far. If i take it a day at a time it won't seem so daunting

thanks everyone
    love
    yum
    x

well done yum - good for you!

Welcome back to the forum, and good luck Yum

Cheers Aubergine

it's going well so far- keep going on the forum getting lots of great ideas and have cooked loads since turning vegan. I'm doing the weight watchers diet and lost more weight this week than recently and i think it was because of giving up dairy.

Have you done much reading on Veganism? When I struggle with the world around me it's good to have some solid facts behind what I'm doing.

A good start is The Food Revolution by John Robbins. It covers Diet, Ethics and the Environment as well as other Vegan subjects.

Ratiocinator

Quote aubergine View Post
    A good start is The Food Revolution by John Robbins.
    John Robbins is the same author who wrote Diet for a New America that the documentary I linked to earlier in this thread is based on. He is even in that documentary.

All excited- looked back on my previous posts and discovered that it was a year in May (3rd) since turning vegan- darnnit! i would have thrown a vegan party!

Yay for Yum!

Stu

Happy veganniversary!

Congratters yum - I reckon you've cracked it this time

Quote yum View Post
    All excited- looked back on my previous posts and discovered that it was a year in May (3rd) since turning vegan- darnnit! i would have thrown a vegan party!
    It's still not too late! I'll bring a vegan chocolate fudge cake to celebrate. Well done yum

Quote Ratiocinator View Post
    If fast food (fast filth) is a problem, then just remember that what makes it addictive and desirable is the aspartame, MSG, and other additives that tend to be added to it in large quantities.

These things are addictive excitotoxins and are EXTREMELY harmful to health. If a person is addicted to junk food their addiction is more often than not analogous to the addiction of a drug addict to heroin.

I urge everyone to educate themselves on the dangers of aspartame, MSG, and other additives, plus all the other names these poisons are called.
    I SO know what it's like to be addicted to fast/junk food-Especially cheese products-which I expect was due to the casein. I find that it's easier to quell the need for crap food by buying substitutes, i.e vegan chocolate or dried fruit instead of gummies.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Cheers guys

Thumbs up Re: have attempted to go vegan three times - please help

Good luck yum. It was nice to meet you at the meet up in London a few weeks ago, and hopefully we will see you again !
    Last edited by Cumin; May 11th, 2008 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Deleted comments as I realised the original post was 1yr old! - Duh
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

pavotrouge

Congrats Stephanie

Talking about vegan relapses, could it be that your were a bit too hard on yourself (don't know if your situation is still like this)?
    Going vegan while having an unsupportive enviromnent and trying to eat 100% healthy (I can't see where you need to lose any weight), even doing WW would be impossible for almost anybody. I'd suggest focusing on one thing at a time.

As Cumin says, nobody can be 1000% perfect role model vegan

When I became vegan I looked at the foods I enjoyed and worked out how to make vegan versions of them. Some Eg's were: tacos, shepherds pie, Irish stew, lasagna etc. I just substituted the meat for beans, lentils or mixed veg etc. That way I didn't feel like I was missing out too much. For 'cheese' substitute I make a soy bechamel sauce and add nutritional (savoury) yeast and some fake chicken stock. I put this on thick toasted bread (grilled cheese) and on top of pizza's if I feel like something cheezy. I also found treating myself for awhile for being good and sticking to my vegan plan helped. I either bought books or nice bath bombs from Lush etc - until I felt confident I could stick to the plan. This also worked when I gave up smoking and fattening foods.
    Good luck.

Cheers Cumin- yes the meet-up was great and was lovely to meet u. Planning on attending another one soon once i finish uni next month

Pavoutrouge: thanks for your concern i did weight watchers last year and got to goal in july- so not dieting anymore. I lost over a stone and turning vegan last May really helped as i put on alot of weight when i was eating stuffed crust dairy pizza's.

I'm not having trouble with relapse issues since a month ago (which was the first time) as i have discovered super melting cheezly

Cheers Treehugga for your yummy suggestions

x

Quote yum View Post
    I'm not having trouble with relapse issues since a month ago (which was the first time) as i have discovered super melting cheezly
    That stuff is "da bomb".

Yum. Have you tried the Toffuti mozzarella style on home-made pizza ? I find it works very well and has a very subtle flavour so doesn't overpower the whole thing.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

is that the slices? I don't think i have. I have seen toffuti 'cheese' slices, not sure if they were mozzerella. Do you think they are sold in holland and barrett? I could order them.

Yes, they are slices. H&B might do them - not sure.

Cheers for the suggestion- i may go into holland and barrett and ask if they can order it in.

I've had them from H&B, yum, so be sure to ask.

missbliss

do you think that maybe you don't have to diet if you go vegan? i understand the not wanting to overwhelm yourself part but some (unfortunately not all) of those who follow a vegan diet lose weight without ANY calorie/whatever counting. is this true for you?

if you are one of those who must watch what they eat, have you ever tried relaxing on that and doing a bit of exercise? sometimes the combination of only plant-based foods (even the fattening ones) combined with some daily exercise will do the trick. cutting back drinking helps alot too...A LOT. or quitting altogether, although that is a totally different ballgame, lifestyle wise.