Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Running / runners

I'm Straithy.

Default Running / runners

Hi, I'm new.

I was wondering if there were any other vegan runners out there.

Thanks.
    dp.

Stu

Default Re: Running, etc.

Yep! I was out of action for about 4 months though, after I broke my foot. I recently got back into running and cycling, even though I'm still getting twinges in my foot. I couldn't wait any longer.
    I'm aiming to participate in the London marathon 2008. I couldn't do it this year, for the reason I just gave.

I think there's a tendency for vegans to be pretty health-conscious, so you'll probably find more people replying to this thread.

Hi,
    Yup me too. I've just come in from a 6.5 mile run - my longest yet. I'm training for the Great North Run half marathon in September. Replaced my trainers with New Balance ones last week - I've been having some problems with my feet but to be honest I was glad of an excuse to change them
    Everywhere is walking distance... if you have the time

Good sperm

Yep, I did a 10k run this morning

Default Re: Running etc.

Hi and welcome!
    I started running in January and did my first 10K earlier this month

Have you seen the Vegan Fitness forum? There's a running section on there
    http://www.veganfitness.net/

I'm trying to get back into running, as I find hard exercise really helps my moods (which generally, aren't so good). I too am considering buying new running shoes, although I think I just want an excuse.

So far so good though, most of my attempts to do a daily run are thwarted a couple of weeks in. It's been four days and I'm feeling great so far, so I hope it continues!
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

kidturbo

Talking Re: Running etc.

ive posted another topic just after i came in froma run too... ive just started.. after reading a fitness pull out in a paper.. i heard running was good so thought i'd give it a try.. only did 4k this morning with a break but i'm really not a fitness freak so its just the start...

would it be a good plan to say do 1 day run 1 day rest and so on and so on?

also.. i'm sort of looking for an idea diet.. mix of carbs/protiens etc?

i just want to be a little fitter for summer.. get this stomach of mine hard etc..

any adivce would be greatly appreciated

kid

Good sperm

One day on, one day off is the best way to start your training. Eat when you're hungry, complex carbs only - no refined sugars or flours - and plenty of fruit and veg. Eat wholegrains, pulses and beans.

Don't worry about protein you'll get plenty.

Hi Kid,
    AMF's advice is sound. All I would add is to be careful not to overtrain at the beginning - your cardiovascular system adapts to the demands of running much more quicly than your musculoskeletal system so it's easy to get carried away and overdo it, ending up with an overtraining injury. As a guide you shouldn't increase your mileage by more than 10% a week.
    I've done 21 miles this week - my best yet
    Everywhere is walking distance... if you have the time

sugarmouse

I am just gettin into running.. one thing I dont understand is, at the gym I do about 35 mins run each time. I wont say its easy, but I can do it without collapsing or hurting myself.

BUT if I run outside for any longer than 10 mins i dont like it! Im out of puff after 10 mins! I knoiw the ground is more uneven and its slightly more difficult therefore, but I dont really get why its so much easier for me at the gym. I am quite self concsious running outside, perhaps that doesnt help?

Good sperm

You probably can't pace yourself. The treadmill does it for you in the gym, it's harder outside. Try concentrating on running slowly so you feel comfy. Just change your pace until you find something comfy then relax into it. I find it easier if I just listen to the radio and switch off, and my body relaxes into a good pace.

sugarmouse

Thanks AMF I really enjoy running at the gym but would liek to be able to jsut speed off whenever I want without having to be restricted to gym times and pay £2.50....especially as I do not use the gym for anything else I just run then come home... I will try your advice.
    Do you get self concious running outside?

I usually run outside and am less self conscious if I run in the evening or first thing. Generally nobody really pays any attention although have had a couple of friendly hellos
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.

I feel running on a tread mill have less impact on my knees and back than running outside. I also follow a program from www.itrain.com which I download to my Ipod. It's so great and it makes 40 min. go so fast!
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Good sperm

I get beeped at by builders but that's about it
    I don't mind, I smile and wave and think nothing of it

cobweb

I must admit when I used to run outside I did find it awkward at times. I have been 'blessed' by ridiculous size F breasts and even with a good sports bra they are rather conspicuous . I just ended up going out very early.

I think I may not take up running again, I'm getting a bit too near 40 and have been lazy for too long . Maybe speed-walking is the way forward .

Quote sugarmouse View Post
    Thanks AMF I really enjoy running at the gym but would liek to be able to jsut speed off whenever I want without having to be restricted to gym times and pay £2.50....especially as I do not use the gym for anything else I just run then come home... I will try your advice.
    Do you get self concious running outside?
    When I used to run I used to get bored running in the gym and found half an hour hard work inside but ran several marathons and hundreds of shorter races outside. What you need is to run with other people and get off the pavements out of the way of cars especially in the summer.

Running is a great way to keep fit as it only costs you the price of a pair of running shoes.

sugarmouse

That is true! I dont think I would like to run with other people though.. my runnning is my 'me' time lol

Yeah I know what you mean but if you did know some one who is already a friend who also runs it could make the run easier.

Good sperm

Quote cobweb
    I must admit when I used to run outside I did find it awkward at times. I have been 'blessed' by ridiculous size F breasts and even with a good sports bra they are rather conspicuous .
    Yeah same here, 30HH. I wear a bra with a sports bra over it to have enough support. I also go out early but mostly because it's so peaceful at 6am

Stu

Yeah, exercise in the morning is a good idea, but I do find it harder because:

a) my body hasn't woken up yet so I feel like the blood isn't circulating as well as it does later in the day; running in the evening is a lot easier;

b) running on a completely empty stomach makes it tougher. I find that the best (read: easiest) time to run is about 2 or 3 hours after having eaten.

I think I may be in danger of overdoing it with the exercise though. I cycle to work and back, 5 days a week, and that's an hour and a half each day (and I really really push myself, going really fast), and I also go running - although I only really have time to go a couple of times a week now actually. Also, I'm gonna start going swimming before work... Maybe it's a bad idea though, cos I know you're supposed to have recovery days really. I suppose that doing different forms or exercise is kind of a compromise though, because you're using different muscle groups etc.

By the way, I find that listening to music makes exercise a lot less painful.

new wisconsinite face here....hi =) i've been running for 6 years. since it's gotten warm i've been doing a 6.5 mile run every weekend.

my decision to start running i think eventually led to my veganism....they are a great combination! i always get asked if going vegan helped my running, and i honestly don't know. i do know that i used to get long-lasting headaches after running, and now that i'm vegan, they have been dramatically reduced. it's like the stress threshold of my cariovascular system was raised.

i think my next pair of shoes is going to be cruelty-free...i think Keen shoes seem pretty high quality...

Hola!!!! I love running!!! A year ago I had a stress fracture on my hip cos I was training too hard so now I do running and mountain biking to alternate high impact and low impact sports.

I am doing the Bristol Rat Race this weekend (15Km Run, 60 Km bike, some Kayaking, climbing and some orienteering).

I am glad to see so many vegan runners

Quote Stu View Post
    By the way, I find that listening to music makes exercise a lot less painful.
    very true... but for me it only works when I am in the gym... I like listening to the world when I am exercicing outside

sugarmouse

I love running so much, I feel so much better after doing it, and I am sure I actualluy instantly look better too!

Good sperm

It's fab isn't it sugarmouse? I always feel better after a run

sugarmouse

I am not quite at your stage yet AMF but am hoping to get there!

Quote sugarmouse View Post
    I am just gettin into running.. one thing I dont understand is, at the gym I do about 35 mins run each time. I wont say its easy, but I can do it without collapsing or hurting myself.

BUT if I run outside for any longer than 10 mins i dont like it! Im out of puff after 10 mins! I knoiw the ground is more uneven and its slightly more difficult therefore, but I dont really get why its so much easier for me at the gym. I am quite self concsious running outside, perhaps that doesnt help?
    I think that another major reason why it's more strenuous running outside
    it air resistence. It may seem irrelevant, but it's a constant force
    working against you. And, of course, when the wind's blowing it's that
    much worse.

I also love running. There is a very nice running path around a lake close to my house. I usually run twice around the lake, one round being about 3 km, a little less than 2 miles, and having a drinking break between the rounds. Running is lovely, because I feel in harmony when I do it - with the constant moving forward. I don't push myself very much though, I keep it comfortable.

I've recently started running. At first I couldn't do more than 5 mins at 6.5KM per hour but now I can maintain a speed of 8KM per hour for 15 mins. I was quite pleased until I glanced at the guy next to me who was doing 12 KM an hour. Whats a good speed to be aiming for?
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

Good sperm

There is no such thing as a 'good' speed. Run how you feel comfortable and everyone will be different. Besides, alot of people in gyms (especially men) push themselves too hard and end up injured or not actually getting anywhere in training.
    When running outside, run at a pace you can comfortable talk at.

Oh ok, I'll stick at 8 for the time being, at least until I've managed to maintain it for longer times. AMF, can I ask you, when you've said you've run for between 1 - 2 hours, do you maintain a constant speed or do you slow down or walk at all whilst doing such a long run?

Good sperm

Generally a constant speed, no walking. I run at a slower pace over longer distances as I just relax into my run and enjoy it

My ankles and knees are shot from running in formation in the service.
    So now I just go for brisk walks... the last one this weekend was about 10 kilometers (6+ miles). As long as I can get my heart rate up, and keep it there, I think it's doing me some good.

It does seem to put a lot of strain on the ankles and calf muscles as well I find. I'm sure it would be easier if I wasn't carrying so much weight.

Good sperm

Your bones and muscles will need time to strengthen, which is why you should run every other day until you've been training for 6 months or so

^^ Yeah I remember you said that before. Yesterday I was naughty and ran 2 days in a row as I was too achey to do anything else except run and swim. I could only do half my normal pace and didn't realise how much it would hurt. Will stick to every other day from now on.

My advice is to start off slowly. People usually get out of breath very quickly because they run too fast. Run slowly and concentrate on keeping going. Speed comes later once you have developed the technique.

I love running and have been doing it for 4 years now!
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Windfall

I love running but not in the city, makes u feel like a right tit lol

is it just me?

I also hate running in the city or other builtup areas. I much prefer the park where I can do a couple of laps in the shade of the trees, away from all the city traffic etc.
    Jogged 8 kms yesterday evening - due for another 8 tomorrow morning. Anyone else got distance stats to post? I'd be interested in hearing how far people like to run...
    If I didn't say it, don't assume it.

Quote akaredarcher View Post
    I also hate running in the city or other builtup areas. I much prefer the park where I can do a couple of laps in the shade of the trees, away from all the city traffic etc.
    Jogged 8 kms yesterday evening - due for another 8 tomorrow morning. Anyone else got distance stats to post? I'd be interested in hearing how far people like to run...
    I run 10km every second day (or at least, I try to go that often).

The route I take is along a river with ducks, swans, and other birds
    on it, and most of it's kind of outside of the city, so it's great.

Quote akaredarcher View Post
    Anyone else got distance stats to post? I'd be interested in hearing how far people like to run...
    The distances I run depend upon my working week and what else I have on - I also try to swim once or twice each week too. Last week I ran 5 miles on Monday, had a rest day on Tuesday, swam a mile on Wednesday (with interval training) ran 3.5 miles (fartleks) on Thursday, had a rest day on Friday, ran 8.5 miles on Saturday, ran 3 miles (interval training on the treadmill at the gym) on Sunday and did resistance training with weights etc.

I don't usually do quite as much as that and would usually do another swim in place of one of the runs, but I am running a half marathon on 16 September and really want to get a personal best.
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

not as much as i used to, i fell in love with running in college...

Quote earthylovingirl View Post
    i fell in love with running in college...
    I only started running in earnest this year (I'm 24).

Spent the first month or two feeling like I was going to die when I ran

Now I'm doing 4kms once a week and just started doing 8kms twice a week. I'd like to get up to 8 kms three days a week and maybe 4kms two or three days a week, with a day for resting.

Got my running shoes drying out at home right now - ran in the rain yesterday. Helps to keep you cool though!
    If I didn't say it, don't assume it.

sugarmouse

Default Running query

For the last 18 mnths or so I have ran on the treadmill at my local gyms, for usually about 30 mins. I do this probably about 3 das out of five , sometimes more.I am trying to save money, and make my running hobby more convinient byr unning outside instead of on the treadmill but I dont know how to make the change whilst still getting the same amount of exercise.I know for instance that treadmill running is naturaly, easier because the treadmill is doing a bit of the work for you, plus the 'Ground' is smooth, no bumps or grass, no wind..etc.When I run outside, after ten mins or so I am struggling.I try to pace myself and run slower for longer.. so I am slowly overcomng this.I am also a bit self conscious of running outside, but mostly that is cos I have to stop so often!Worry what ppl think lol plus they often comment when I do for example I was in the park the other day and a man came past when I stopped and said 'Youl never lose weight by stopping, y know' I mumbl;ed that I run for fitness, not weight but nevertheles he riled me WhatI dont want to happen is me to lose my fitnes level I am up to now, because I am doing less without realising it...if that makes any sense.Any advice appreciated!! xx

Default Re: Running query

When people try to talk to you, just stay focused and pay no mind to them.

For me, that's why I left the gym ... guys were always hitting on me; women were always trying to be friends and wanted to talk, while I was there to get work done.

I save so much money by practicing weights and yoga at home. It's been over 10 years since I've been in a gym and I'm in just as good shape, if not better.

Just ignore the remarks, don't worry about being rude, focus on YOU!

(Your post reminds me of the time I was eating vegan ice cream and some idiotic stranger yelled at me, "That's fattening!")

Good luck, and great new icon! You remind me of Nina Hagen

It's funny, me and my friend Beth were both training for a marathon and I've always been an outdoor running and she does treadmills. She tried running outside and found it so much harder and I tried the treadmill and couldn't do it. It wasn't hard but I just hated the way it felt. I think you'll adjust fast if you just start running outside and give up the treadmill. I think you'll enjoy it more too (get sun, nice stuff to look at, fresh air). Don't worry about not doing as much, you'll be getting a better work out and you'll naturally increase your speed and time but decrease. Good luck!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

sugarmouse

Thankyou Diashel..
    So I will jus ignore anything tht puts meoff,and build up gradully.Thankyou
    I have left gymsfor that reason before!thats an ace compliment,healthy!
    But my gym has no one in it but me and men.No women whatsoever, and it is cheap £2.50 a session or £20 a month.It is a very old fashioned, body builder no frills kind of gym.The treadmillis always free, cos men are there more to build muscle than anything else.
    Another one I go to, is one in the flat complex whrre my friend lives.Its free to residents there, but she (very kindly!) lets me in to use it.Its pretty basic but alright for free when all I need is a treadmill.I do my weights at home

Tin-Tin

hmmm
    suagarmouse
    . . .
    do you listen to music when you run??? (important question)

and also sometimes
    i know it may seem like a small detail
    but running in a gym on a treadmill
    theres nothing to distract you too much
    you can just kinda focus on something and off you go
    but outside there are obstacles for your mind
    not in the sense of "im going to jump the bin"
    but in the way that you have to think more about where your going and your route etc

so often this can be the simple answer to your question
    as the more you get used to running the route (not only will your fitness level be increasing) but your mind has to think less and will then be able to focus purely on just running (or your music)

it may seem like a small detail
    but there were some tests on it (and i've tried it myself)
    and it makes a real big difference

. . .
    one final note is abotu the ground itself
    you kinda hinted on this yourself
    but yeah
    the ground has different contours
    it may be relatively flat
    but over the course of a few minutes it soons builds up to fair amount of resistance you never had before

so then on top of everything else
    it all just builds up
    so theres nothing to worry about
    just keep on going and everything will be fine
    =]
    dont give up on the outdoors just yet girly

oh and p.p.s - if you keep your headphones in then it doesnt matter what anybody says, you will never hear them and instead will just ignore them, which works out as a double YAY as your being rude AND not taking any abuse

well good luck
    and hopefully you let us all know how it all goes =]

Good sperm

Treadmill running is a very different discipline to running outdoors. All you can do is keep at it. Try doing speed sessions outdoors (e.g. 20 second sprints up a medium hill, fartleks of random high speed running for as long as, and often as, you feel comfortable) as this'll build your cardio capacity.