Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Running / runners

Not real name!

Default Re: Running etc.

It seems to have taken ages. Mostly this is due to injury. I started my fitness regime in April 2008 but that winter I lost three months due to injury and basically started again in Jan '09. By that summer I'd managed 9 miles but never got near again before another injury lost me 6 weeks over that Xmas. That brings me to 2010 and I've was very careful to up my mileage by only small amounts every other other week until I was confident that I was injury free.

That was in the spring and since then I've built myself a bi-weekly schedule that allows for increased mileage if I feel like it. It seems to work.

I hit my wall at about 3.5-4 miles. For weeks/months I couldn't seem to get beyond that distance. In the end it was down to perseverance that got to go further. I also started running in the woods and around a lake near me. There were so many routes that I managed to gain distance while being distracted by the new paths. I also found that it helped immensely by starting off a lot slower than I had been and doing my new, long runs at a slower pace.

In short, just keep at it.

Given up the boring treadmill now and prefer the great outdoors. Was gonna do the Cardiff 10k end Oct but it's been cancelled due to not much interest so will have to do the 10k on 12th Sept now instead - which cuts my training time down drastically.... argh.

I have been a runner for 24 years - I'm 50. I run just under 20 miles a week. I used to run 25, but I've cut back and added some weight training once or twice a week. I've never been in a race, and I've never tried to increase my time. These days I run while listening to a book - it makes the time go by so quickly. I'm listening to "The Girl who played with Fire" at the moment, and since I'm near the end of the book I think my time went up dramatically this morning when the story got exciting!

I have worn the same brand of shoes for over 20 years - Nike Air Pegasus. Since I'm flat-footed and don't over or under pronate (?), I don't really need a stable shoe, I need one with cushioning. These are like running on pillows. I've never had an injury in all the years I've been doing this.

My friends try to tell me that I'm getting too old for this, that I'm doing my knees and hips harm, that I'm going to be crippled in my old age. Bleh. Running suits my body build (short and slight), is a very efficient way to burn calories, and helps me maintain my weight (which is normal). My blood pressure, resting pulse, cholesterol levels and weight stability impress my doctor. I am convinced that running, in addition to being vegan, have helped me be one of the healthiest people my age that I know. I plan to keep doing it for as long as I can.

My inspiration is an 80+ year-old woman i see once in a while who jogs on my path.

wow go girl! 80 yrs old!! she's amazing. Hope i'm still doing it at her age

Not real name!

Hi,

Does anyone know if the new Nike Lunarglide+ 2 are vegan? I tried a pair out yesterday (I think they're not even properly available yet) and they are the comfiest runners I've ever worn.

I emailed Nike but they say that, as their range is so large they no longer keep an animal free list! The best they can do is to say that the main body of the shoe is fine but cannot say about the glue.

Any ideas?

Lovin' Life

I am an outdoors runner, and plan to do my first 5k on Thanksgiving. I do run 5ks along the ocean now, so I am ready for the holiday!
    I want my very own garden of vegan...

Zero

Quote Glen Lambert View Post
    Does anyone know if the new Nike Lunarglide+ 2 are vegan? I tried a pair out yesterday (I think they're not even properly available yet) and they are the comfiest runners I've ever worn.

I emailed Nike but they say that, as their range is so large they no longer keep an animal free list! The best they can do is to say that the main body of the shoe is fine but cannot say about the glue.

Can't say for Nike. However Asics confirmed to my running club (Vegan Runners UK) that their glue is non animal based

I am pleased to confirm that all of our running shoes are made of Synthetic leather. The easy way to be sure with our products is the product code, if the Code contains the letter N then they are synthetic, any other letter would usually mean that they are leather, this same principle also applies to other shoes in the Asics range, as well as our fashion brand, Onitsuka Tiger. For example the product code for the Gel Trail Attack is T019N, therefore they will be synthetic. I can also mention that the glue used to manufacture the shoes is completely free of animal content. I hope this information is helpful and if you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact the company.
    http://www.veganrunners.makessense.c...__footwear_436

After reading this thread I really want to go running now! I hate the idea of people being able to see me though :/ I'm imagining school PE lessons all over again - trauma! People where I live usually love to yell abuse as you walk past normally, so I think me trying to jog past will really push them over the edge lol. Gawwwd.
    I know the idea is to run slower and maintain a longer run, but I can't stand running slow! I love to run as fast as I can as if I'm escaping something or being chased, but of course, that only lasts so long before my face is hot enough to fry vege on and I can't breathe lol!

Anyone near Crawley UK ever want a running partner let me know though

Zero

Quote VeganBride View Post
    After reading this thread I really want to go running now! I hate the idea of people being able to see me though :/ I'm imagining school PE lessons all over again - trauma! People where I live usually love to yell abuse as you walk past normally, so I think me trying to jog past will really push them over the edge lol. Gawwwd.
    Ignore other people, put on an mp3 player to run perhaps, then you won't hear them, most people don't even bother to look at you because seeing people out running is a very normal sight and mostly falls into the background, you always get the odd idiot though as with anything.

Quote VeganBride View Post
    I know the idea is to run slower and maintain a longer run, but I can't stand running slow! I love to run as fast as I can as if I'm escaping something or being chased, but of course, that only lasts so long before my face is hot enough to fry vege on and I can't breathe lol!
    If you don't like running slowly then you could perhaps do short fast runs, do a 1 mile fast run, then 1.5 miles then 2 miles etc. This is also a good way to trim any excess body fat as running longer distances can cause you to store more energy (all exercise is good though either way)

I do mostly short fast runs these days and only run longer when building up to an event but even then I don't do the full distance, probably because I know I can run that distance physically and mentally, I've done it before. Don't stress about how you do it in the beginning though, the main thing is that you just get out there and do it in a way that is comfortable to you

^^ thank you =] i may have to give it a go

The Robert Cheeke updates on facebook got to me and I started running Thursday. Does anyone have a fitness test website? For example in high school a 12minute miles was passing and an 8 minute mile was good.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Zero

Quote Haniska View Post
    The Robert Cheeke updates on facebook got to me and I started running Thursday. Does anyone have a fitness test website? For example in high school a 12minute miles was passing and an 8 minute mile was good.
    A lot of treadmills have a fitness tests on them but it has more to do with heart rate after running a specified distance at a set pace.

Pace with running depends on your muscles, your cardio fitness and technique. When starting out running you should run at a comfortable pace and increase speed as your fitness level and muscle strength increases.

Default Runners?

Any other vegan runners? I've run a few half marathons, and am running my first full in a month. I have a great vegan carbo-loading meal on my blog!
    Last edited by Korn; Oct 17th, 2010 at 02:08 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread
    Check out my (vegan) food blog:
    http://anditsvegan.blogspot.com :):)

Default Re: Runners?

I'd like to run but I'm destined to be a cyclist. I can bike 20 miles comfortably (I did so today, hooray for me), but if I try to run even a mile I'll collapse into a blubbering heap, praying for the sweet release of death. Hence, running is for squares.
    I’ll call you on your sh*t, please call me on mine. Then we can grow together and make this sh*t-hole planet better, in time. Consider someone else: STOP CONSUMING ANIMALS.

I run but it's not like a big deal. I've never done any marathons but I do my 5k every other day just to keep some extra weight off and get my cardio. Afterwards I nosh down on a huge protein shake though so that probably defeats the purpose of the calorie burning.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Default Re: Running / runners

Oh yay, other vegan runners! Hello I've run a few halfs, and am running my first full in a month!
    Check out my (vegan) food blog:
    http://anditsvegan.blogspot.com :):)

Good luck! I have run lots of half marathons and did the full (London) marathon last year. I love running.
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Zero

Quote Sarah_ View Post
    I run but it's not like a big deal. I've never done any marathons but I do my 5k every other day just to keep some extra weight off and get my cardio. Afterwards I nosh down on a huge protein shake though so that probably defeats the purpose of the calorie burning.
    Yeah, the protein shake is pointless. You are probably better off skipping it. 5k every other day is awesome and more than a lot of people do but the extra calories and protein are simply not required.

I just started running again I try to run with my boyfriend every Monday, and one more time during the week by myself. Ideally I would run trice a week. I run about 14 miles on a good week. I get stomach aches easily, I have always had this problem. I try to wait at least two hours from my last meal before running, but I still get cramps sometimes. Maybe I run too fast? I guess I should get less cramps when my level of fitness gets higher?

My running shoes are starting to get old, they have some holes in them, not that much that they are unusable. But I should get new ones soon, I think I will settle for New Balance shoes, they seem allright and are also sweatshop free.

I really don't like running, however I utilize it for cross training. I'm a cyclist and the activity of running is just not enjoyable for me. I do envy runners though because it requires a similar but much different kind of fitness then cycling.

The main reason I don't like running is because during the road season 30-60 mile rides several times during the week is the norm. You get to see quite a bit of scenery in 2 hours. I see different towns and its way easy for me to stop in a town center for an espresso break if needed. In 40 minutes of running I may see my neighborhood and that's it.

That being said if I'm pressed for time a 40 minute run is just as good as a 2 hour ride, running is a cyclists dirty little secret.

The main reason why I started running is because I'm racing cyclocross right now which involves some running. Like this:

I can now run a comfortable 5k and it's improved my game quite a bit. Last week's race there was a beach about the length of a football field where everyone was getting stuck causing people to get off their bikes. If someone in front of you got stuck there was no way your were going to get moving again, so I just dismounted carried my bike and ran through the sand. While everyone was tired and slogging through the sand I was able to run through it with relative ease. I gained a few places by being able to quickly run through the sand.

thought you might be interested in this:
    http://www.nomeatathlete.com/scott-jurek-interview/

I have a running question for you all. How important is it to have "running shoes"? When I used to run I'd use them, but I don't have any now and thinking about getting back into it. I'm not so committed to put down that kind of money though. I have regular training shoes that are very light weight and ventilated. I figured with all the barefoot running and minimalist shoes now that maybe it's not so important to have shoes structured specifically for running.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Crusty Rat

^ I've also been wondering about this and getting confused by various types of running shoe. I need some that are good for rough terrain, mud etc.

Diashel,

I guess that depends on your running. Many people do have issues with over/underpronation and require special support in their shoes. If you go to a specialized running shop where they have video analysis they can analyze it and tell you.

Of course other running shops who do not have such equipment will simply let you try out some shoes on the treadmill or short track and will ask you how you feel in them. I guess it would not hurt to go for a consultation if you have such a shop in your vicinity (even if you might not immediately buy the corresponding shoes).

Best regards,
    Andy

^ Seconded. I have been running for about 8 years now and it is really important to have proper running shoes that are suited to your style of running to ensure that you are getting the right support/cushioning that you need, especially if you run regularly and/or for long distances.

Crusty Rat - trail shoes are best for off road running.

I love running though I do less since taking up triathlon, due to having to fit in cycling and swimming too. I did get a personal best in a half marathon race at the weekend though. I am also entered for Paris Marathon in April 2012...gulp.
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

yes hi, i'm a vegan runner. training for a 5mile run in may and a half marathon next october.

ah didn't realise, i'd already said hi in this thread last year lol.

Dia: From experience I can tell you that having running shoes is actually very important. I remember when I first became a runner I used regular walking shoes and continued using them through workouts and training. I found that I would get tired and my feet would become blistered due to the uncomfortable fit. When I invested in running shoes my speed actually picked up to where I went from running 3 miles a day to 7 or 8 miles a day. I actually ran 49 miles in one week (7 miles every day)! No more blistering and no more exhaustion. Oh and I am flat-footed so it was not easy to deal with the running in the wrong shoes.

Does anyone else experience cramping in one arm when running...like after 30 minutes of running? My arm has been cramping this last week and I find that I start to feel awfully cold
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

Crusty Rat

Quote Holly78 View Post
    Crusty Rat - trail shoes are best for off road running.
    Thanks. Are there any particular ones you'd recommend?

Not real name!

Quote Crusty Rat View Post
    Thanks. Are there any particular ones you'd recommend?
    What kind of off-road running will you be doing? Will you be sticking to well used paths and track or will you be heading up mountains and fells or will you be somewhere in-between?

There are numerous off-road shoes. Seems like every shoe company is getting in on the 'latest' running sensation. Personally I would rule out any road shoe company that is venturing into trail shoes. Take a look at those that specialise in trail shoes. Salomon, Inov-8 and Walsh all provide a wide range of vegan friendly shoes. Walsh and Inov-8 are geared more to the muddy, wet conditions that we find here in the UK. Walsh are very much a no-frills shoe for fell runner. Inov-8 heavily promote minimalist running shoes and a 'natural' running style. Salomon on the other hand take the cues from a wider range of terrains and, IMHO, provide the best range there is. I love all of my Salomon shoes.

Really you need to get to a running shop and talk to the people there about your intending running environs/the type of running you'll be doing and they should steer you right.

Oh, and beware of Adidas Kanadias. Cheap, very good but may contain small amounts of leather although Adidas won't say if this is correct or not.

I have heard some vegans praise Montrail's "Mountain masochist GTX" shoe for off-road running.

http://www.happycow.net/forum/vegeta...pic.php?id=572

Best regards,
    Andy

Crusty Rat

Hi..
    Does anyone here do Parkrun? I have started one recently in Brighton. Really enjoy it. It's a great way to start the day.

Quote yo-yo View Post
    Hi..
    Does anyone here do Parkrun? I have started one recently in Brighton. Really enjoy it. It's a great way to start the day.
    I've been thinking about doing the Parkrun at Cannon Hill Park, Birmingham, as Vegan runners UK meet there but thought I better work up to running 5k first Can now run about twenty minutes without stopping!