Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Running / runners

Zero

Default Re: Running etc.

http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/

Most Synthetic running shoes are vegan. New Balance are good.

I love running, but I am a full-time student and have incredibly difficult time planning things (which results in lots of last-minute assignments, yes!) Thing is, I work best on a schedule, but I have no idea how to plan one. Is there anyone else who has similar problems to me, and how did they get around it? Because I feel really antsy and end up staying awake until 4 a.m. and I just know it's because I'm not getting enough exercise!

Quote paec311 View Post
    Does Vegetarian Shoes have a website? I ordered some running shoes from MooShoes awhile back and they were the most uncomfortable things ever . It's difficult to order clothes online sometimes, as the material and sizes can vary depending on the brand. I was a little discouraged about picking up running again (I started a little over 2 weeks ago) because I was worried I wouldn't be able to find a suitable pair of vegan running shoes. Fortunately New Balance makes quite a few synthetic models; I picked up a pair a couple weeks ago and it's been great!
    there are loads of cool vegan running shoes, I've worn asics, saucony, nike and I've now got brooks- all vegan models, glue included

Default Just run!

Hi!
    Are there any runners here (I'm sure there are quite a few, but didn't find an actual thread)?

How often do you go out to run, do you also participate in marathons or other running competitions? Where are you running along?

Mostly I'm excited about going out for a run, but sometimes there is just somebody in my head (or legs) who refuse to do it. I'm planning to be part of some running-events this year, but actually I don't know where I'm going to start...

Greetings!

Stu

Default Re: Just run!

One of my favourite things in the world, is running when it's raining really heavily, with my walkman on very loud.

Alas, I currently have a very annoying leg injury, which has stopped me from running for the last two years, so I'm stuck with cycling and swimming for the moment. I can't wait to run again. I've been trying to run the London marathon for about three years now, but something (such as injury) always gets in the way.

Yeah, running in the rain is awesome. It let me forget everything bad around me.

I hope your injury is getting better soon, so you can run again!

Stu

Aw, thanks!

I used to run a lot and I'm really hoping to get back into it. I have a love hate relationship with it. When it's not so bitterly cold I'll give it another go. I ran a half marathon a little over a year ago and would like to go for the whole thing.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I run at least five days a week, and have been for four years. There must be something wrong with me.
    pro-vegetable

There's something very right with you actually
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I wish I could enjoy running - but I get out of breath so easily.

You just have to run more to find your wind. It took me a long time to get mine when I moved to 7000 feet (2130 m). But it feels great. It becomes addictive after a while. Your body knows when you don't do it and craves it. Pretty weird. But I need to keep my figure some how, heh.
    pro-vegetable

So cool, that there are more people out here who are excited about running!
    What shoes are you using? Special vegan brand Runningshoes? Or shoes of brands like asics, nike.. which are not making of leather or something?

@ Roxy It seems to be difficult at the beginning - because you feel tired and out of breath so fast. But when you're like going on, it'll improve very fast.
    Just don't hesitate and try to run like someone who's doing it for years. Begin sloooowly. And I mean, slowly . And when you're out of breath, just go for a while to calm down again and run again... and so on. There are many plans in internet or magazines (do you have the Runners magazine in Canada? Theres existing something like a Beginner-magazine of it http://www.runnersworld.com/) how you can begin to run and improve yourself best. Just try it - it'll probably catch you and you just need it (after some time you just don't want to )

I can't run, my shoes have a hole so huge my big toe touches the ground
    "We gotta go and never stop going till we get there." "Where we going, man?" "I don't know but we gotta go."

I like Saucony shoes because they fit my big feet well. The usually are all synthetic. Don't really have a problem finding leather free running shoes. It's hiking boots that are pretty much impossible to find.
    pro-vegetable

KcCrash

I run somewhere between 15 and 60 minutes a day, every day*.
    *Unless I have a hangover

I used to run a lot, but my joints could feel it when I had and I'm a bit paranoid about damaging my knees and hips (have slightly dodgy hips anyway). My 2 housemates just took up running and now one of them has shin splints and the other has damaged her knee and so needs to ice it every night. I stick to cross training if I'm craving a run type thing, but I do so many other excercises that I don't generally feel the need to go running.

Stu

Quote Marini View Post
    What shoes are you using? Special vegan brand Runningshoes? Or shoes of brands like asics, nike.. which are not making of leather or something?
    I wear Asics GT-2130, which are vegan. Some other Asics are vegan too, as are some New Balance. I can post the correspondence I've had with them, if you like.

Quote KcCrash View Post
    I run somewhere between 15 and 60 minutes a day, every day*.
    *Unless I have a hangover
    I know it's hard to find the motivation when you feel like that, but running is pretty effective hangover remedy.

Quote Roxy View Post
    I wish I could enjoy running - but I get out of breath so easily.
    Hi Roxy Marini's right - you have to start really slowly. I'm just starting running myself, and the mistake I used to make was going too fast. Have you heard of the Couch-to-5K running plan? That's what I'm following, and it's great

Oh I love that plan, Fiamma. Sounds very sensible to me!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

One time my Creative Writing teacher gave us an assignment: make love to an orange. She gave us each an orange and sent us outside. This was the result:

In My Hands

Though I hold you in my hands,
    my cheek lies enfolded in your arms.
    Under the fatherly boughs
    ghost leaves dance for us
    for the hued blemishes we share.
    I come to seek your cool
    ~~~ to polish my heat.
    Just run
    ~~~ just run with me
    and blush against the breeze.

Namaste
    _/\_
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Quote Stu View Post
    I wear Asics GT-2130, which are vegan. Some other Asics are vegan too, as are some New Balance. I can post the correspondence I've had with them, if you like.
    Not neccessary thanks I have some Nike Air Shoes. In summer I'll probably need a new pair and hope I find some Asics Gel Stratos then...

Quote Stu View Post

I would really like to see it. I'm in the market for new running shoes.

Stu

Asics:

Hi Stu

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Asics products.

I am pleased to confirm that all of our running shoes are made of Synthetic
    leather. The easy way to be sure with our products is the product code, if
    the second letter of the code is an N then they are synthetic, any other
    second letter would usually mean that they are leather, this same principle
    also applies to other shoes in the Asics range, as well as our fashion
    brand, Onitsuka Tiger.

I can also mention that the glue used to manufacture the shoes is
    completely free of animal content.

The GT 2120 has since been replaced by the GT 2130 and very recently the GT
    2140, although there are slight differences between the shoes the way in
    which they function, the support levels and the cushioning benefits will be
    similar, if your doctor recommended the GT 2120 I am sure they 2130/2140
    will prove to be as suitable.

I hope this information is helpful and if you require any further
    assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

http://www.asics.com/responsibility/index.html

Regards

Jamie Homer
    Asics UK

New Balance:

Hi Stu

The 857 has now been superseded by the 859

This is a high-stability / anti-pronation supportive cushioning shoe

You will be pleased to know that the 859 is also completely Vegan friendly and can be viewed and purchased online via www.ethicalwares.com

Hope this helps

Jon
    UK Customer Service

I am a brand new runner! Always been a gym addict but my friend and I are joining a beginners' running club for women - starts next week! I need some new trainers and I believe New Balance are the most ethical but does anyone know if they will fit my feet? In the past I have had to always buy Adidas (I know the shame of it!) because of my odd feet: very skinny at the back, very very wide at the front due to massive bunions, and over-bendy arches so I wear orthotics. Advice please!!!

Wow, such complex feet you have. New Balance runs kind of wide.

Ha ha - complex!! It might sound like I exaggerate but I am sure they push the limits of what is a 'normal' shaped foot! I blame my gran - she was a very bitter old woman with feet like nothing off planet earth. Maybe that's why she was bitter?! Anyway, I am pleased to know New Balance are kind of wide - at least I will be able to cram these monstrosities in!

I've decided to run the Yonkers Marathon in September. I have an 18 week training schedule so I'm going to start in May. I've done a half marathon before and it was such a great experience so I'm going to go for the whole thing. I'm really excited about it.

Oh that sounds very cool DiaShel!
    I thought about doing a half marathon in Malta in march. But I'm not sure about it. It seems to be too early for the (my) season ...

Quote DiaShel View Post
    I've decided to run the Yonkers Marathon in September. I have an 18 week training schedule so I'm going to start in May. I've done a half marathon before and it was such a great experience so I'm going to go for the whole thing. I'm really excited about it.
    Wow that is great! Show 'em all how fit vegans are!! Are you going to be sponsored for a charity or is it just for fun? I totally love watching televised marathons - all that determination is so moving and insprational!

Quote Stu View Post
    One of my favourite things in the world, is running when it's raining really heavily, with my walkman on very loud.
    Yes! right there with you.

I love running. It's just an escape. It's like a drug (that's actually good for your body.)

~passion

Well I have got my New Balance trainers - reduced to half price because they were the only pair left (display) and luckily were my size! I went for neutral so I could use my own orthotics, but does anyone know if they are better with or without the insole that comes with the shoe, if I a using said orthotics? Thanks!

so i just canceled my gym memborship and i want to take up running. the only problem is its so hard in the beginning so i give up. Does anyone have any tips for me? I really liked the website fiamma posted, that was pretty helpful but anything from you guys would be really nice
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Zero

I just purchased a new pair of Asics Nimbus Gel soles, my old road shoes had worn out so I did a few road runs in my trail shoes (naughty of me). The difference is like running on air in comparison and my results have improved slightly, so it really shows that having the right shoes in good condition makes a massive difference.

I am back into full swing with my running again, running 4 times per week and fitting in other complimentary excercise here and there such as gym sessions or tai chi.

I'm running three half marathons soon:
    Wolverhampton Half Marathon - 07/09/2009
    Birmingham Half Marathon - 11/10/2009
    Coventry Half Marathon - 25/10/2009

I intend to be back up to averaging 8 minutes per mile over the 13.1 mile distance, which is still not as fast as I've been in the past but it's a good pace. I've just sent my application into the Vegan Runners UK running club too.

Anyone else doing any races in the near future?

I run, but mostly because I have to when I compete i Triathlons. Not my favorite discipline, but I'm learning to like it.
    context is everything

yup yup I'm a runner too....mainly treadmill but did my first 5k recently and looking for more

Default vegan runners

Just wondering ... any other members of Vegan Runners UK out there?

Default Re: vegan runners

Well poo. I am a vegan and I run, but I am not in the UK nor a member of a society which aims to focus on aerobic leg movements.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

I used to run a lot as a teen, and I'm trying to get back into it. However, I find it a bit miserable to try to do so on my own.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    I used to run a lot as a teen, and I'm trying to get back into it. However, I find it a bit miserable to try to do so on my own.
    Sounds like a good opportunity to convert a friend to running .... and veganism

Not real name!

I'm a runner and I'm Vegan but I'm not a member of them. Didn't really think to put the two together.

Quote Glen Lambert View Post
    I'm a runner and I'm Vegan but I'm not a member of them. Didn't really think to put the two together.
    It gets you a couple of quid off race entries. Better still, you get to wear a vegan runners race vest which makes people think - especially if you outsprint them for the line haha.

Zero

<---- VRUK member

Zero

Any runners here use www.fetcheveryone.com?

I find it quite useful as a public place to store my results and training, see what others are doing and find races.

great link...thanks

I have just re-started running, and have a 10K in July. I need to lose some weight so...this will be good for me.
    Thanks,

Burntfruit

You Bet!! I have done one marathon and am training for another. A friend of mine is a raw vegan and she is training for an ironman (26.2 mile run, 100 mile bike, 2 mile swim).

Vegans Rock
    ~Katie
    Subscribe to a Free Vegan Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/sIpR

Im a Vegan, and i cycle alot.

Not real name!

Just did my first 10-miler today. Tired but very happy.

Good stuff Glen. How long did it take you to get to that point? I've kinda hit a wall at about 6-7 Km (what is that in miles actually 4? 5?).
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...