Thread: Innocent drinks on trial at McDonalds

Question Innocent drinks on trial at McDonalds

Lovers of Innocent drinks, have got themselves in a McMuddle about the company’s decision to trial its kids drinks in FatRonalds.

Read more here.

ph63228

Default Re: Innocent drinks on trial at McDonalds

fucking rediculouse, cant believe the company is allowing it's product to be sold and advertised by such a crap food company.

Why is it ridiculous? It won't cause more animal suffering so whats the problem? I think its shame that McDonalds have now stopped selling veggieburgers. OK they weren't vegan so I couldn't eat them but for non vegans they were a better alternative than meat. The only reason they stopped selling them is because they weren't popular because a lot of veg*ns refuse to eat in McDonalds even if there is food they can eat. Their fries and apple pies are vegan. Now there is no veggie alternative at McDonalds which will cause more animals to be eaten as a lot of omnis might have chosen the healthier option. I find it strange that people refuse to buy veg*n foods at McDonalds yet most of them shop at supermarkets selling meat. Whats the difference?
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

Because supermarkets sell tens of thousands of products by hundreds of manufacturers. McDonalds sell a handful of products made by them. If I could boycott all companies with either dodgy practices or any interaction with others that do then I would, but to boycott all supermarkets would be quite challenging. Boycotting individual companies however is very easy. I've not eaten anything from McDonalds this millenium and I'm quite happy for this to remain the case.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Yes I know about all their unethical policies but the supermarkets are no angels either. In fact there aren't very many companies that are totally ethical. When veganism becomes more widespread it will be easier to find food while out and about. Until that day comes if I'm starving and theres nothing but McDonalds I'll get some fries. At least now I can have a healthy drink as well!

Because supermarkets sell tens of thousands of products by hundreds of manufacturers. McDonalds sell a handful of products made by them.
    ...and if someone says that this won't change if vegans and vegetarians boycott the veggie products they try to introduce (that are not made by them)?

Quote Korn View Post
    ...and if someone says that this won't change if vegans and vegetarians boycott the veggie products they try to introduce (that are not made by them)?
    I agree. McDonalds would still be selling the veggieburgers if people wouldn't boycott. Maybe they would have eventually started selling vegan burgers.

Quote Maisiepaisie View Post
    Yes I know about all their unethical policies but the supermarkets are no angels either. In fact there aren't very many companies that are totally ethical. When veganism becomes more widespread it will be easier to find food while out and about. Until that day comes if I'm starving and theres nothing but McDonalds I'll get some fries. At least now I can have a healthy drink as well!
    If you knew ALL about their unethical policies there's no way you would set foot in there. Have you actually browsed MacSpotlight. Dave and Helen went through so much sh!t to show us this stuff it deserves a good perusal.
    Supermarkets generally are far less focused on destruction and homogeneity than MacDonald's. They make Sainsbury's look like Clive's Pies.
    Last edited by horselesspaul; Aug 14th, 2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Spelling as badly as BassPixie..

I think vegans are just mad at McDonald's for many reasons. One, they used to proudly change their sign (over 50 billion burgers sold, 60, 70, etc). Then there used to be a ton of advertisements on TV directed at kids to eat unhealthy (I don't know if they still do this). Now, the company is pretending to have healthy food when it's not much healthier than before. And worst of all, they switched from good apple pies back in the 90s to the crappy baked pies they serve today. I might actually go there again if they would serve the good ones again.
    Warm & cozy? Are we talking vodka or the other good stuff? Wink, wink...

I shan't be going there, but on balance I think it's better if they sell some non-crap, because the people who go there might buy it instead of the crap.

hurray!!! i cheered. McDonald's just aren't going to fuck off so why shouldn't they put some real food on the menu for a nice change. The salads' have more fat than the burgers and more chlorine than swimming pools (both actiual facts), the chips are prolly cooked in the same oil as the burgers (i wouldn't trust the spotty workers) the orange juice cost twice as much as the coke... at least an innocent smoothie is in a nice sanitised little bottle of real fruit. obviously, i would rather never have to go in there but sadly i do. i do a lot of Outreach work at the moment which means taking disabled children out into the community and so often the parents request lunch at McDonalds. I can't really say no as the idea the children do the same activities as non disabled people. hmph. hopefull i can now get some fruit into the fussy eaters.

Quote Agatha View Post
    the chips are prolly cooked in the same oil as the burgers (i wouldn't trust the spotty workers)
    Over the years, there has been a controversy over McDonald's using beef extract to flavor the fries; I am unclear if they've stopped doing this.

But true, I don't expect places like McDonald's to segregate non-meat items from meat; only a few privately-owned local places I know of have ever made it known a few of their items are vegan and cooked on a separate grill:

Sassy's Sliders (now defunct): always cooked their vegan "veggie" slider [bite-sized burger] on a separate grill and made it known; what killed the experience was that the counter person always always automatically asked, "You want cheese on that?" It was the crappy pasteurized process "cheese food" singles; why would I want that?

Dash: a burger-and-dog joint on the Lower East Side (good for a pre- or post-club bite) that very specifically announces that it cooks its veggie dogs and burgers on a separate grill; problem is--I later realized--their buns probably aren't vegan. Oh well.

Quote Agatha View Post
    The salads' have more fat than the burgers and more chlorine than swimming pools (both actiual facts)
    I can believe the first bit about the fat but I don't think more chlorine than swimming pools is very accurate!

Still, I wont eat there.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote frank language View Post
    Over the years, there has been a controversy over McDonald's using beef extract to flavor the fries; I am unclear if they've stopped doing this.
    AFAIK they don't use this in the UK.

My reasons for boycotting them stem much more from just the fact that they sell meat. They are an extremely dodgy company who I don't want to help survive in the world. If you've an hour 22 to spare, this video is well worth a watch.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Risker View Post
    I can believe the first bit about the fat but I don't think more chlorine than swimming pools is very accurate!

Still, I wont eat there.
    i knew someone would pull me up on this! i'm going to try to find the article. They use more chlorine per litre of water than a swimming pool in 'sanitising' their salads.

*goes to look*

This link shows that it's not just the drink, but the ice that might also be questionable at fast food places.

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/loca...?storyid=25602

I agree with Maisie. There are a ton of companies that are really bad, however some of them like McDonalds are never going to go anywhere. I don't really eat there but if I have to I will get french fries and sometimes they have apple slices.

Maybe I am a hypocryte cause I won't eat at KFC (even if I was starving)....I don't know, I do as much as I can.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Quote Agatha View Post
    i knew someone would pull me up on this! i'm going to try to find the article. They use more chlorine per litre of water than a swimming pool in 'sanitising' their salads.

*goes to look*
    That I can believe

Ice is notoriously bad no matter where you get it from, so just don't get it.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote missbettie View Post
    IMaybe I am a hypocryte cause I won't eat at KFC (even if I was starving)....I don't know, I do as much as I can.
    Glad to hear you don't eat at KFC I regularly attend protests against that company and encourage the general public to boycott them.

While I wouldn't eat at McD's myself, I'm always pleased to see more veg*n options at places like this. More people might be encouraged to go veg*n if they know they can always find something to eat wherever they go with their friends.

It's not just vegans and vegetarians either who eat the veg burgers at these places. Some people who are dieting and still want junk food will eat the veg burgers because they are lower in calories and fat. Veg burger + diet coke.

And my Muslim colleagues will always go for either the veggie or fish options at places like McDonalds (because the meat won't be halal).
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote Roxy View Post
    Glad to hear you don't eat at KFC I regularly attend protests against that company and encourage the general public to boycott them.
    ya it might as well be called Kill Fu*king Chicken. My roomies are scared to bring it home!
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

bouncybouncy

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    [snip]to boycott all supermarkets would be quite challenging.[snip]
    I boycott all supermarkets (2 or 3 years). I boycott McDonalds and all other fast food chains too (longer). Even before I was veg*n I've always just taken a bottle of water and some fruit or a sandwich with me so that I'm rarely caught out. If I am caught out, I'll just keep walking 'til I find a cornershop and a (horribly over-sweet) flapjack or something. Or I'll just wait 'til I get home again. No biggie.

Where I fudge my line (the line between adhering to my beliefs and plain hypocrisy) is that I will buy 'accidentally' vegan food from local restaurants that mainly sell meat. My line might not make much sense to anyone else and it is certainly not consistent with my wanting to not support the meat industry, but it makes some sense to me. I think that large corporations like McDonalds and Tescos are hugely destructive in more ways than their being props for the meat industry.

But of course, as people have pointed out, these things aren't black and white. Supermarkets sell thousands of goods and are probably the largest retailers of organic, fairtrade and vegetarian products(?), which is kind of positive. And maybe if McDonalds still sold veggie burgers (they don't?!), omnis might be persuaded once in a while to forgo meat.

ph63228

you been in a mcdonalds recently Maisiepaisie?? it's horrible, even if they did sell vegan stuff in their i wouldnt touch it, it stinks, it's tacky, it's shit, i cant figure out why anybody wants to go in a place that stinks so much, i feel degraded after entering the place to haul my freinds out!

I work for a distribution company who has recently taken on MacDonalds as their main client. (I know I know, I'm trying TO GET OUT OF HERE asap but I can't just quit as I don't have the money. I must admit my standard and quality of work has plumited somewhat! )
    Anyway:

1) The fries are vegan and are fried in vegetable oil. This is kept seperate from the chicken and fish (the only other animal product fried) which are fried on the chicken and fish side of the restaurant. (Which is on the same side as the fries & apple pies fryer but not near it!)

2) They still do the veggie deli roll which can be made vegan if you ask for it without cheese. This is basically a brown baguette with roast veggies in it. Some places still do the veggie burger, which isn't vegan, this is due to high proportion of muslims in an area and the lack of facility to make the restaurant halal. Although some of the restaurants are halal.

3) Some restaurants leave their deliveries out in the baking sun, snow and rain (frozen, chill and ambient) until they have time to put it away. Others just leave it in their store rooms until they have time.
    There are often freezer and chiller rejections as our lorries cannot cope with the heat as they are too old and the fridges run 24/7.
    Most london stores have a rat problem!

4) Don't let MacDonalds fool you into thinking it's going green. It isn't! Only one outta the three depots uses biodiesel and that is the smallest depot we have. Pretty much all the work I do is paperbased and on average our office alone wastes about 800 sheets a week.

5) MacDonalds do not have own brand products. Everything is individually sourced from sub contracts. I.E all the meat is Esca meat in Milton Keynes. All the toys are from Rhys Davies in London Colney and blah blah. They are shipped into us and we ship it out all on one lorry to the store. They don't even make the buns.

6) The innocent smoothies are not due to send out for a good few weeks yet. Well at least we don't have any in the warehouse yet.

So if you wanna know any dirt about Macdonalds.....I'm your girl lol! To conclude...don't eat there...IT IS SHIT...FACT!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    I work for a distribution company who has recently taken on MacDonalds as their main client. (I know I know, I'm trying TO GET OUT OF HERE asap but I can't just quit as I don't have the money. I must admit my standard and quality of work has plumited somewhat! )
    Anyway:

1) The fries are vegan and are fried in vegetable oil. This is kept seperate from the chicken and fish (the only other animal product fried) which are fried on the chicken and fish side of the restaurant. (Which is on the same side as the fries & apple pies fryer but not near it!)
    Is this the case in the US as well? I was under the impression that here the fries still had beef as one of the "natural flavors". Not that I would ever eat there myself, but I don't want to keep lying to people if this isn't the case anymore.

I'm not sure what US procedures are to be perfectly honest. Everything we distribute is made in the UK (well pretty much). I can't answer that. The answer is probably that it does still have beef extract in it. Write to them and find out.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than go into MuckDonalds but I don't see the problem with Innocent drinks being sold there. Hopefully the more that are sold the fewer milk shakes will be sold.

Quote Agatha View Post
    hurray!!! i cheered. McDonald's just aren't going to fuck off so why shouldn't they put some real food on the menu for a nice change. The salads' have more fat than the burgers and more chlorine than swimming pools (both actiual facts), the chips are prolly cooked in the same oil as the burgers (i wouldn't trust the spotty workers) the orange juice cost twice as much as the coke... at least an innocent smoothie is in a nice sanitised little bottle of real fruit. obviously, i would rather never have to go in there but sadly i do. i do a lot of Outreach work at the moment which means taking disabled children out into the community and so often the parents request lunch at McDonalds. I can't really say no as the idea the children do the same activities as non disabled people. hmph. hopefull i can now get some fruit into the fussy eaters.

No they \rent cooked in the same oil as the burgers. All veggie options are cooked separately. Fries are cooked in separate vats - even you could see that from the counters even with your blinkers on.

I hve 2 sons who work(ed) at mc donalds - they are not spotty or liars - they are trustworthy individuals, as are many of the others that work there. Many are students who need flexible shifts to fit around college and uni.

one of my sons regualrly checks the veggie options and finds out if an new products are vegan for me. He also can make things vegan for me and any one else who wants to. He suggests things to veggies if they come in by saying I can make this vegan if you want by omitting this or changing that sauce etc.

dont tar everyone with your brush - perhaps some of you need to open your minds too.

rant over

nicola

What store do they work in?

..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Boldon in tyne and wear. Next to the cinema.

Interestingly when there are bollywood films on they sell more veggie burgers and veggie delis in one day than they do meat products in total for that day - sometimes 2 - 3 times as many. It does send a message to macDonalds when this happens.

One of my sons - the 19 yr old proudly tells folks I'm vegan and what I can eat. They had a really nice special veggie burger out earlier in the "summer" which if you left off the mayo, and put on the chilli sauce instead, was vegan.

nicola

I worked in McDonalds for 1.5 days back in 1999. The experience made me feel sick, and that was before I had my free lunch.

Quote pudding06 View Post
    Boldon in tyne and wear. Next to the cinema.

Interestingly when there are bollywood films on they sell more veggie burgers and veggie delis in one day than they do meat products in total for that day - sometimes 2 - 3 times as many. It does send a message to macDonalds when this happens.

One of my sons - the 19 yr old proudly tells folks I'm vegan and what I can eat. They had a really nice special veggie burger out earlier in the "summer" which if you left off the mayo, and put on the chilli sauce instead, was vegan.

nicola
    Oh we don't deliver that far up. We stop at north Birmingham. I think you'll find that a store like that is probably a franchise so MacDonald's wouldn't have a clue how much veggie stuff was being sold. Only their DC which is in Runcorn.

Foo lyn Tofu

Quote aubergine View Post
    I worked in McDonalds for 1.5 days back in 1999. The experience made me feel sick, and that was before I had my free lunch.
    I used to work there too.
    Now I work in a toy shop.

yay for working in a toy shop hehe!

RubyDuby

Quote frank language View Post
    If you go in and ask for Nutrition Facts they will give you a pamphlet.

I got one in '03 (in the US) and 3rd ingredient listed under french fries is "natural flavor (beef source)".
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I've never heard of Innocent drinks. Is this a UK thing?
    I used to work at McDonald's long, long ago. It was my 1st job when I was 15 yrs old. Very terrible experience, overall. But I am glad that they sell veggie burgers and fruit salads now, for the general public's sake. I always pack snacks rather than eat fast food, But I am extremely organized and I know that not everyone has the time/resources to plan ahead for every day.

Quote ph63228 View Post
    you been in a mcdonalds recently Maisiepaisie?? it's horrible, even if they did sell vegan stuff in their i wouldnt touch it, it stinks, it's tacky, it's shit, i cant figure out why anybody wants to go in a place that stinks so much, i feel degraded after entering the place to haul my freinds out!
    Well I haven't been in for a while now and don't intend to go in again though maybe not for the right reasons I'm really concerned about this new bacteria thats contaminating chicken (thread on here somewhere but I can't remember where) so now I don't feel comfortable eating anywhere unless the place is at least vegetarian. I'm not willing to put my health on the line and risk dying because of cross contamination.

Haha, how a innocent drink can turn into something completly different.
    I have no problem if they sell them, it isnt going to affect me in any way. I am not likely to pop in and grab one of there drinks even if i was dehydrated. The smell is rancid for one, secondly i wouldn't put a penny into there over bursting pockets of death.

The following article was forwarded to me by one of my muslim mates. Don't know how true it is but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

MACDONALDS McDonald's announced in the 1990's that it changed its frying
    oil from animal fat to vegetable oil for those who are vegetarian.
    However, it turned out that this information did not turn out to be
    completely true French fries are fried slightly in animal fat then
    frozen and shipped to all the McDonald's stores for the final frying The
    following information was announced on the Arabic BBC channel Basically,
    what they do is they cut the potatoes into slices and then coat them
    with a thin layer of lard (pig fat) or cow fat so that when it is fried
    it will crunch. Then these fries are shipped to McDonald's stores in
    different parts of the world including
    India and the Arab countries. Mc
    Donald's apologized to the Indians after receiving complaints, since a
    good number of Indians do not eat anything that has ingredients derived
    from animals. And of course no apology has been made to the Arab
    countries. So in summary, Mc Donald's fries is coated with a layer of
    either cow fat or lard (pig fat which is thicker and cheaper) then
    shipped to all Mc Donald's stores over the world, which is then fried in
    vegetable fat. Please alert all those you know of this information.

Quote Biozombie View Post
    Please alert all those you know of this information.
    Never trust any emails that say this.

RubyDuby

The article sounds like a slacker teenager wrote it!

But in the US the fries are NOT safe:

French Fries:
    Potatoes, vegetable oil (partially hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor (wheat and milk derivatives)*, citric acid (preservative), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), dimethylpolysiloxane (antifoaming agent)), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, partially hydrogenated corn oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent). *CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK (Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients.)
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I'm sending someone to get a picture of the uk ingredients now from the warehouse and I'll post them on here asap - not that you should EVER eat in MacDonald's cuz they are shits!