Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What next for Whole Foods Market?

Default Re: What next for Whole Foods Market?

Quote flying plum View Post
    f+w/wfm seemed to cater just to the yummy mummy lavender hill brigade who recycle, then jet off to provence every other weekend...
    The fruit and veg seem hugely expensive in there, even compared with organic veg in, say, Waitrose and certainly compared with the ones we get from Farmaround. I just use them for stuff I can't get elsewhere - tempeh and all that - which doesn't seem so overpriced (but then I don't have anything to compare it with because you can't get it elsewhere ).

I may already have said this, but I bought a large quantity of samphire in the big Whole Foods in Kensington a few weeks back and it was really cheap - £2 or something for the lot. Mind you I've no idea of the going rate for samphire...

yeah, i think that's about the summary of it. i get my tofu and stuff from planet organic at the moment, because there's one just opposite my uni. i used to get (and still do sometimes) in sainsbury's, but they only have one kind, the silken stuff, and that's not great for stirfries etc...

amanda

Mahk

The WFM's near me have announced that by March 1st they will no longer offer plastic bags at the check out. They encourage re-usable bags instead and I already use some I bought from them at a very reasonable cost ($1 USD/each) and I like that they don't advertise their name in giant letters on the side. A 5 cent refund will be given per bag on each purchase made and people who insist on a store provided bag will have a recycled paper bag option. I think they are rolling this out nation wide by Earth day, April 22nd.

They say this will save 1 billion plastic bags per year. Seems like a good idea.

That's a great idea. THe WFM near me really advocates reusing bags, however, the bags they sell are kind of pricey (I want to say like $8-10) and do advertise on the bags in big letters. I hope the ideas at your Whole Foods are spreading to other stores!
    tabbouleh-bouleh

steven1222

Quote Mahk View Post
    A 5 cent refund will be given per bag on each purchase made and people who insist on a store provided bag will have a recycled paper bag option.

They say this will save 1 billion plastic bags per year. Seems like a good idea.
    I have known about WFM's plans to eliminate plastic bags for a while and I am proud of them for planning to do so, but I think the benefit is overrated. People will simply be using paper instead of plastic. If they continue to offer only large paper bags, more people will be getting large bags with only a few items in them, which is a waste. The increase in demand for recycled paper bags may cause an increase in their price, which would in turn increase food prices. Most people, including myself, will probably not bother to re-use bags or even be willing to pay for the re-usable bag. Do not get me wrong; I am against wasting and frequently use old paper bags at home for food storage and sometimes other purposes. I assume the refund is a temporary promotion, because it would be too expensive to do that permanently.

Mahk

Quote steven1222 View Post
    I assume the refund is a temporary promotion, because it would be too expensive to do that permanently.
    They have had this policy in place forever, or at least I'm certain they have at the stores near me.

Fondducoeur, I think they carry different quality bags. The super heavy duty canvas ones aren't the ones I bought, the ones I bought change their theme/style every few months. Mine are canvas colored and have a more sedate, less colorful Clementine fruit theme but are otherwise the same style, shape, and small WFM logo as the (gawdy to me) ones depicted in this photo:

Since the style changes often, if you don't like the style of whatever is currently being sold, just hold off until the style is more to your liking.
    They don't care what bags you bring, the refund applies to all; my store had a poster in it that said even Gucci would be fine! I see they are made from recycled plastic bottles. Even better!

Quote steven1222 View Post
    I assume the refund is a temporary promotion, because it would be too expensive to do that permanently.
    Mahk's right, they've always done that. It's just 5 cents a bag, and a full set of groceries usually is only 50 cents off.

Even my parents reuse all their large paper bags, and they usually don't do that sort of thing. It's not hard to keep some bags in your trunk.

RubyDuby

I dont forsee a problem in 5 cent refund per bag at a place like whole foods (sugar is 3x the 'rgeular' price).

We use the plastic bags to p/u after our dogs on their walks. hmmm... i thought it was good cuz of the reusing and all... but now with all the new perspectives on having dogs i dunno...

I've bought their shopping bags before as gifts. filled them with vegan goodies and send along with travelling friends. should grab some for myself i suppose.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Our Whole Foods has upped their refund from 5 cents to 10 cents per bag, Of course since we only use 3 bags a week 30 cents off isn't much but it does add up.
    Until we stop harming all other living beings, We are still savages.

heat13

It's not much, but it IS permanant (for all Whole Foods and Wild Oats affiliated stores) and every little bit helps. But you'd think they would do more considering the amount of money it's saving them! Do you guys get the option of donating your refund to a charity? We have that at our Wild Oats Market (they just recently merged with whole foods).

I use my friend's hand made grocery bags.... she uses recycled materials! They are very sturdy and well worth it, if you are interested, her website is:
    www.robinleedesigns.etsy.com

Do you guys get the option of donating your refund to a charity?
    No. Not here. Our Whole foods just uses the bag refund like a coupon. I prefer it that way, I'd rather go and choose my own charity anyway. I'm assuming your donation is only given to whatever charity they are supporting?
    Until we stop harming all other living beings, We are still savages.

Wholefoods recently bought a local natural foods store here, called Capers. When you get your bag refund there, you can choose one of three local charities to donate it to.

heat13

Yep Roxy, we have the same option at the Wild Oats store... you put your "wooden nickel" in one of the three charities they support. I am partial to the humane society, so I always do that one But it is good they at least give you a choice. I feel better bringing my own bag anways... when I forget it- I feel like a moron haha! I hate having to take MORE plastic or paper bags! But I can't throw anything away... is anyone else like that? I hate feeling like I am "wasting" stuff- always have!

heat13

Quote Roxy View Post
    Wholefoods recently bought a local natural foods store here, called Capers. When you get your bag refund there, you can choose one of three local charities to donate it to.
    Roxy, how do you like Capers? Do they only have them in Canada? I know the merge with Whole Foods is now in effect, so they are incorporating lots of new products with the stores'.

Well, I work for a competitor of Capers, so I'm biased I suppose.

However, before I started working for the competitor, I always found Capers to be overpriced.

The company that I work for sells the same kinds of products as Capers and Wholefoods, however, we are a locally owned, family run business and our prices are a lot more reasonable.

Capers is only in Vancouver. Here's the link if you want to check them out.
    http://www.capersmarkets.com

heat13

Rox, I hear the same things about Wild oats... but it is the only store within a 3 hr roundtrips drive, so I can't complain I guess. I spend my spring/summers in Minneapolis,MN where we have great Co-op's with much better prices. Where do you work? Do you find Vancouver has good health food stores? I am surprised how many MN has now!

I work for these guys: Choices Market. I work in the produce department and I'm really loving it

With Choices and Capers and a few other small organic markets, Vancouver is pretty well covered when it comes to health food stores. We only have one Co-op that I'm aware of though.

I hate big, busy supermarkets now! I had to go into one with my mother-in-law the other day, and it almost drove me crazy!

heat13

OMG I hate those supermarkets too! haha! My husband and I use to try to get alot of our stuff there but lately we are finding we buy more and more at the health food shop! That's wonderful Vancouver has such good options

Yes, it's quite a vegan friendly city, and quite good for anyone with "alternative" dietry requirements.

ivandurago

Its a better option than the majority of places, and you are able to purchase primarily locally grown/organic goods if you look. But they do sell a huge amount of non-vegan goods, which is still frustrating.

Going to farmers markets, and maybe trying out a garden next semester would make me feel even more comfortable about where my money is going.

I bought one of their bags. To my dismay there were big ads for honey on it! The cashier even said, "do you want to buy a honey bag?" and I was like, "sure," not really considering that a honey bag might have something to do with honey. I paid a whole dollar for that bag so I use it, but I don't like it.

Mahk

Maybe turn it inside out?

They change their themes for the bags at least twice a year I believe. Considering we vegans amount to say 1% of their clientèle, I don't think there's a good chance you can expect vegan food themes very often. We have a grape themed bag currently where I live, or that gaudy blue one I showed a pic of earlier. Maybe the clerk asked you if you wanted the "honey" bag as opposed to the "grape" bag?

Quote John View Post
    I bought one of their bags. To my dismay there were big ads for honey on it! The cashier even said, "do you want to buy a honey bag?" and I was like, "sure," not really considering that a honey bag might have something to do with honey. I paid a whole dollar for that bag so I use it, but I don't like it.
    Are you sure she didn't say "Do you want to buy a bag, honey?"

I like Mahk's idea of turning the bag inside out. I do that myself for a bag with gaudy ads on it, but inside it is just black - suits me.
    Eve

Quote fondducoeur View Post
    My best friend works at Whole Foods in Chicago and has nothing but good things to say about how they treat their employees. She just moved up there about a year ago, and was really struggling until she found that job, and a year later she is still doing well.
    I work for Whole Foods Market and it is a wonderful place to work! There are so many options for vegans...it is a very unique company and I am very proud to be an employee. Most of our customers may not be vegetarian or vegan, but so many people are made aware of humane standards and animal testing in cosmetcis and body care, etc who would otherwise not be aware. Every step in the right direction matters, I believe. I know I get many people interested when I mention that I am a vegan (vegetarian for 20+ years before vegan)...they comment on my healthy appearance and that I look much younger!

I will be attending VegFest Denver in a couple of weeks and several people I work with will be going, as well. WFM has many vegan employees!

heat13

Quote jalapeno View Post
    I work for Whole Foods Market and it is a wonderful place to work! There are so many options for vegans...it is a very unique company and I am very proud to be an employee. Most of our customers may not be vegetarian or vegan, but so many people are made aware of humane standards and animal testing in cosmetcis and body care, etc who would otherwise not be aware. Every step in the right direction matters, I believe. I know I get many people interested when I mention that I am a vegan (vegetarian for 20+ years before vegan)...they comment on my healthy appearance and that I look much younger!

I will be attending VegFest Denver in a couple of weeks and several people I work with will be going, as well. WFM has many vegan employees!
    Cool, that sounds like fun! Let us know how the Vegfest goes. I would love to work at Whole Foods. what area do you work in? When I first got into herbs and the probiotics and stuff, the gal who works in that dept was so so helpful- I couldn't believe how much she knew! It seems like a good place to work. Do you get a discount there too?

Quote heat13 View Post
    Cool, that sounds like fun! Let us know how the Vegfest goes. I would love to work at Whole Foods. what area do you work in? When I first got into herbs and the probiotics and stuff, the gal who works in that dept was so so helpful- I couldn't believe how much she knew! It seems like a good place to work. Do you get a discount there too?
    VegFest is April 12th...WF is a great place to work and I have worked in various areas and stores. Team members (employees) get a 20% discount...if you are eager to work hard, by all means apply. As a vegan you have to remember that only most customers annd employees are not and you cannot let that interfere with how you do your job. But where else is there an Animal Compassion Foundation, no live lobsters, etc and a body care department that will not carry any product that does animal testing? Change has to begin somewhere and WF has made such a difference, I believe. And there are sooo many vegan/vegetarian options!