Thread: vegan immune system

Default vegan immune system

hey guys, i was just wondering if you have experienced more colds while being on a vegan diet? Because ive been a vegan for over a year now and lately ive been getting a cold per month. when i would usually get a cold once a year when i ate meat. do you guys have any advice for me? because i thought that when you become a vegan your immune system gets stronger, but i guess thats true if you dont neglect your diet.
    ps. i think i might be deficient in iron but im not too sure.

thanks!

Default Re: vegan immune system

Hi jaywalk, and welcome!

Maybe this thread will be interesting for you...

How has the change to a vegan diet affected you?

Vegan food can be healthy or unhealthy, depending on what kind of food you eat. Just like non-vegan food, eating vegan as such doesn't warrant that you'll get enough of everything you need. If you mainly eat cooked food only, lots of processed food/sugar and in general don't get enough antioxidants or other immune-system boosters, you may need more time to adjust yourself to a plant based diet.

Here are some more links:
    8 FOODS THAT BOOST IMMUNITY
    How plant foods boost your immune system
    The Vegan Society on immune system boosting

There are also a couple of threads about immune system boosting on the VegFamily forums: http://www.vegfamily.com/forums/index.php

And finally, we have some more threads here too:
    Organic food: better sleep, slimmer and stronger immune system?
    immune system boosters!
    Weak Immune System
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Hi Jaywalk,
    Just wanted to say that in the first year of me turning vegan i got a really really bad cold and chest infection 4 times! I'm sure it is the body detoxing from all that horrible dairy. The good news is i haven't been poorly since and it's been over a year. Hope you feel better soon,
    Charlotte xxx

I haven't had a cold since becoming vegan 2 or so years ago, it doesn't mean that a vegan diet has made me invulnerable to colds though. Likewise, having several doesn't mean that your diet is necessarily responsible - I would say most probably not.

Colds are infectious diseases, the most common factor to getting them would be the number of people you are in close contact with, especially children.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Since going Vegan I've noticed I get ill less than those around me and recover far faster. I used to eat quite a lot of fruit and veggies before going Vegan too...

I have not had a cold since going vegan 7 months ago
    Before I was vegan I was very healthy but I think overall my health has improved.

I am not sure what your diet involves but cutting down on coffee and tea after meals helps the body to absorb nutrients better... there is no reason why you should be deficient in iron just for being a vegan... on the other hand, just being a vegan does not guarantee good health either...

Well I've been vegan for 11 months now and I've actually put on half a stone in weight and had a lot of colds!

But I've realised lately where I've gone wrong - I've just been a carb junkie and not eaten hardly enough fresh fruit and veggies. Been doing ok with rice and pulses and nuts etc but not fruit and veg.

So lately I've stepped that up and am hoping not to get so many colds this year!!

Apart from that I've noticed a lot of benefits like stronger nails, soft hair, non-existent PMS and shorter periods, better moods (I used to be a stroppy cow lol).

So hopefully I will see even more benefits this coming year.

I need more fruit and veg in my diet. LOL.

Whoops, posted too soon. I actually transitioned to being first dairy free when I was sick (sinusitis and cold/flu), and then vegan. I personally haven't been sick since, but I do have to watch my iron intake (which I always have, both when omni and vegan), and I don't eat much fruit in my diet, which is not good.
    Last edited by Quantum Mechanic; Jan 15th, 2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: posted too soon

I had my first illness in two years last summer. I am pretty sure it was because I was unable to get enough calories because my job is no conducive to a vegan diet. If it wasn't for that I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten sick.
    For me, being vegan is a pretty amazing thing. That said, all of our immune systems are different and people may get colds more often than others. Fruits, veggies, whole grains, and lots of water are amazing.
    pro-vegetable

I had a cold last week. 1st time after being vegan for a year! I feel like my immune system is top notch. I'll start feeling the tiniest sniffle at night and by morning I'm back to 100%.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I haven't had a cold or flu for two years. Whilst my friends, family and work colleagues sniffle away I am completely healthy. I even made a bet with someone at work that I would be the only person in the office not to get the flu this year. It was only a coupla quid but guess what? I won!

I think the key is to eat plenty of fruit and veg. Also snack on fruit and veg. Screw bloody 5 a day...aim for 10!

I also believe I'm just naturally resistant to these things although when I was a milk sucker I used to get the occasional cold.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I eat lots of veg (a lot cooked, but at least a big salad every other day), but not enough fruits. I think if I bought as many fruits as I'd want to eat, I would forget some in the course of a days and they'd go bad. But I did get some peaches and a banana in yesterday.

QM - Make smoothies...that uses up loads of fruit and its scrummy!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Bah - I have a cold right now, second one in six months

But normally I don't get colds or get sick at all, and consider my immune system much stronger than everyone around me Having said that, I work from home and don't come into contact with tons of germs on a daily basis. I'm also trying to get over an ED and trying to stabilise my eating, so I think it may be partly due to that.

Anyway, enough rambling I think if you eat lots of fruit and veggies, a good balanced vegan diet, then you'll be streets ahead of the average person eating a SAD diet. I'm definitely healthier than I was when I was ovo-lacto veggie.

Hope your health improves soon.