Thread: tempeh secrets sought

Default Tempeh suggestions

I have recently fallen in love with the taste of three grain tempeh. I put it on top of salads and in wraps of all sorts, but I need some new ideas! What is your favorite tempeh recipe?
    -JK

I fry it up in a little bit of olive oil and then dip it in a home-made peanut sauce. Mmmmm Yum!

JasperKat - I put a recipe in the recipes forum for a tempeh chili a while ago. I think it's awesome, as does my wife (who was omni when I started making it).
    No Gods, No Masters.

ConsciousCuisine

JasperKat, have you tried steaming it beofre eating it? I like to steam it and then mash it all up and add spices and fresh chopped onion and then pan-cook it a bit. It has a different texture and the flavors come out differently.

CC- Do you eat that over rice, or just as sort of a patty?
    -JK

I love tempeh. Here is a very tasty sandwich recipe using tempeh:

Tempeh Ruebens
    1 8-ounce package of tempeh
    1 loaf of Russian Rye bread
    1 jar of Sauerkraut
    Vegan Swiss Cheese
    Vegan Mayonnaise
    Mustard (a Spicy Brown mustard is better)

Slice the Tempeh in sandwich size pieces. Cook them in a pan using oil, butter, or pam. When they turn golden-brown, theyÕre done. Then, grab two slices of rye bread and slap on some butter (not unlike what you would do when making a grilled-cheese sandwich). Put the finished tempeh and a slice of Swiss between two buttered pieces of rye and fry them up (again, not unlike what you would do when making a grilled-cheese sandwich). When the bread looks good and done, remove the sandwich from the pan. Apply the mayo, mustard, and, most importantly, sauerkraut to the sandwich and enjoy!

Also, I use tempeh as a tuna replacement (in tuna fish sandwiches or tuna salads). All you have to do is cube the tempeh and put it is a bowl. Then, add 2 tablespoons of water, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce (or braggs), and a teaspoon of rice vinegar in the bowl with the cubes tempeh. Mix it around and then microwave for about 2 minutes, 30 seconds. Take it out, mix it around again and then microwave for another 2 minutes, 30 seconds. At this point, the tempeh has absorbed the soy sauce, water, and vinegar. Now, mash the tempeh up good. Then, add the vegan mayo and whatever else you used to like in your tuna sandwich. It is really good!
    "A human can be healthy without killing animals for food. Therefore if he eats meat he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral." - Leo Tolstoy

JasperKat, I just found tempeh.info . Hope that helps.

Mmm..thanks guys! The Ruebens sound good, and there are tons of really yummy looking recipes on the site gert linked.
    -JK

Default Tempeh - how do I.....

I just found out about Tempeh. Looks very nutritious as it very very high in protein and fiber.....

What do you think of tempeh? is it good? what's the best way to cook it?

Tempeh is delicious. You can have it any way you like - I like it stir-fried/ steamed with Asian greens and mushrooms. You can also fry it, have it in sandwiches etc...

I fry it in the fry pan and dip it in home-made peanut sauce. Mmmmmm!

i simmer it in some soy sauce and vegetable or mushroom broth with sliced ginger and mushrooms. scallions add a nice freshness sprinkled over the top, and it tastes great with soba.

I first fry my tempeh after marinating with soy sauce ginger and garlic. Brown tempeh until its deep brown.

Next, slice half a pita sandwich. Stuff with crispy lettuce, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion and dress with plain soy yogurt in which you've added a bit of grated garlic, dried oregano, salt & pepper and 1 tsp. of tahini sauce.

YUMM!!! I keep this stuff in my refrigerator all the time for quick lunches.

Makes the most delicious sandwhich ever!

Is it like tofu? I don't like the taste of tofu.

Can you make your own tempeh. I know for a fact my grocery store doesn't have it or the natural health store (they sell FATkins stuff there too, GRRRRR ).

Quote Tigerlily

Can you make your own tempeh. I know for a fact my grocery store doesn't have it or the natural health store (they sell FATkins stuff there too, GRRRRR ).

No, it's nothing like tofu. When you fry/bake it, it's "crunchy". To me it tastes something along the lines of corn. Wildwood tofu is very good. It almost tastes like cheese to me, but it's expensive. So different from that other stuff you buy in water/tubs.

You could make your own tempeh, but I've heard its a lot of work. Whole Foods and Wild Oats carry a selection of this.

There's a chain of restaurants here in California, "Native Foods" that serves vegan food and they make their own. It's simply 'THE BEST"!

If you ever get a chance to try tempeh, please do so.

Default Re: Tempeh suggestions

get The Angelica Home Kitchen. it the best open faced tempeh sandwich recipe. you serve this awesomely marinated tempeh on sourdough bread (which is on top of some raw spinach) with garlic rosemary mashed potatoes and an herb mushroom gravy. it maybe my favorite recipe period. if any one is interested i can post it when i get home from work.

edit: oh, and how could i forget that it makes a great faux chicken salad.

Default Tempeh

I bought some tempeh the other day, but I haven't got a clue how to use it. Does anyone have any favourite recipes to suggest?

Thanks
    Last edited by flutterby; Jul 19th, 2006 at 10:55 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread.

tempeh stirfrys are always good.

tempeh lettuce & tomato sandwiches are one of my fav things.

BBQ tempeh & rice is a staple in my diet.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Quote Tigerlily View Post

No, it doesn't taste like tofu.

What is FATkins stuff?

Atkins.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Default What to do with Tempeh?

Hi Guys!

I have had some Tempeh in my fridge for a while...what is a good way to use it??? Thanks
    Last edited by flutterby; May 9th, 2007 at 08:21 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Good sperm

Default Re: What to do with Tempeh?

I make a stew with tinned tomatoes, whatever veg I have in the fridge, tempeh and pearl barley. You can also slice it into strips and marinate it to have with mashed potatoes and veg.

Just search for 'vegan tempeh recipes' on Google and you will find loads

Thanks

nervine

fry it in virgin olive oil and vegan worchestersauce!

nervine

fry it in virgin olive oil and vegan worchestersauce!

Default tempeh secrets sought

Hi. I could use some ideas for cooking tempeh. I'm trying to eat more of it since there is some debate about the health effects of unfermented soy like tofu. Unfortunately, I don't like it very much! No matter what I try, it's too bitter. Does anyone have any secrets for getting rid of that bitterness?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by flutterby; May 9th, 2007 at 08:21 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Default Re: tempeh secrets sought

I like to fry mine until it's crispy and eat it in as a burger (cut into a patty shape if you have to).
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote crawfordse View Post
    Hi. I could use some ideas for cooking tempeh. I'm trying to eat more of it since there is some debate about the health effects of unfermented soy like tofu. Unfortunately, I don't like it very much! No matter what I try, it's too bitter. Does anyone have any secrets for getting rid of that bitterness?
    Thanks!
    marinade it.

try apple juice, soy sauce, garlic & black pepper. (sounds wierd, but its awesome)

theres a marinade in Vegan with a Vengance (recipe for the tempe bacon) that is great too! i think that one uses cranberry juice & apple cider vinagar
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

I love to make TLTs (tempeh, lettuce & tomato). I slice the tempeh into thin slices and bake them for about 10 minutes. Then I put just a tiny bit of olive oil on the top and sprinkle on some chili powder & salt. Then just make it like you would a blt using veganaise. Very yum! The tempeh alone is also great for breakfast with tofu scramble & toast! I also love making sweet & sour tempeh. Just make/buy your favorite sweet & sour sauce and cut your tempeh into chunks along with some pepper, onion & pineapple. Saute it all together and serve over rice.