Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Myths about vegans: 'How are you getting your nutrients - you poor thing?'

Angry Myths about vegans: 'How are you getting your nutrients - you poor thing?'

Lately, when I've been telling people I've become vegan, they immediately jump and ask, "HOW ARE YOU GETTING YOUR NUTRIENTS? YOU POOR THING!"

I usually get flustered and mumble some long winded answer about fortified soy milk, and eating a lot of veggies and beans...something like that.

I'm sure many of you have had this type of question, what is a good, quick, answer without having to explain it all to them. And even if you do explain they still shoot back with "But meat has sooooo much benefits!" (even though it doesn't).

*sighs*

Thanks in advance

PinkFluffyCloud

Annoying!
    My answer these days tends to be 'Mind your own bloody business'!!.

You need to look at some of Gertvegans links on previous related topics (use 'Search').

Quote Tigerlily
    "HOW ARE YOU GETTING YOUR NUTRIENTS? YOU POOR THING!"
    Unless the person in question eats meat eating animals like lions and tigers (most people don't), asking 'where do you think the animals you eat get their nutrients from' usually is an effective response to that question.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Quote Tigerlily
    Lately, when I've been telling people I've become vegan, they immediately jump and ask, "HOW ARE YOU GETTING YOUR NUTRIENTS? YOU POOR THING!"
    Ironic,
    I had this “discussion” last evening when my daughter and I visited relatives. There were around 10 people at the gathering. We arrived after everyone had eaten. When asked why we did not eat the food that was there. All the main dishes had animal in them. I explained we were an animal free household. When asked the question about nutrition. I explained that we were receiving our nutrition without animal products. I also mentioned that numerous health organizations are emphasizing that people eat more plant based foods and less animal products.

One of my cousins was telling me that meat has so many benefits?
    Really I said, besides the living animal being injected with various chemicals, being forced to eat questionable food, having the high possibility of becoming sick due to the conditions factory farmed animals are raised, which makes you wonder if the animal product you just purchased is affected, What other benefits does a dead animal have? She was surprised floundered and told me, well it has protein!
    So do whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat, barley, rye, buckwheat, millet etc.), legumes (dried beans and peas), nuts, seeds and vegetables, etc.
    I told her to check out National Cancer Society, American Dietetic Association, American Academy of Pediatrics, and American Heart Association and see what they say about benefits of a vegetarian diet. She did not ask me any more questions. She did admit that she needed to make more vegetables for herself/family. I gave her tips and recommended a few books, websites.

Later in our visit my aunt told me later that she “hoped” I did not get my child sick by making her eat “that” diet. There are numerous cultures that choose not to eat meat and are healthy? Are they sickly, even though, on average, they live longer than those in the USA and don’t have our health problems? She did not say anything else. My aunt as well as her 3 daughters has diabetes. Her husband does not have it.

It was an unexpected evening and I did not think I would be questioned because of my daughter and my lifestyle. I just planned on visiting my family without the debate. Her sister (my cousin) was in town with her family from Miami. I wanted to see them before they went back. Her son is 2 months younger than my daughter and they get along well.

Next time I will bring a pamphlet and pass it around to people who have questions.

PinkFluffyCloud

Sometimes I feel like I need leaflets on hand at all times!
    I remember an old friend used to have a t-shirt which had on it a picture of a Beefburger. Underneath it said something like ...'Eyes, Lips, Brain, Testicles, Hormones: - Meat......it's got the lot!'.
    I often think of that t-shirt, and how self-explanatory it was.
    Shame you couldn't have a quiet social gathering, MZ, without the interrogation.

I felt like that (needing leaflets all the time) after yesterday. I thought I was “safe” since we went after the "feast". We left after around an hour because I could not take it anymore.
    I at times just want to scream at family/friends and tell them, “Wake up! The way you are eating is so unhealthy!” A lot of my family members eats too many processed foods/meats, and very little vegetables. Their health is suffering.

As a child, my mother prepared mainly plant-based foods with the occasional inclusion of animal. She had reversed to mainly meats for her and my father after my brother and I moved out the house. She is improving after a few chats, information over the past few months. She is going back to how she was when we were young. I think my dad has a major role in that as well. He is a fitness/health nut. I appreciate that she respects the fact that my daughter and I am vegan and she does not sneak her meat. My parents read labels and buy vegan food for my daughter, Jade, when they watch her.

I do think next time I will avoid the “feast day” entirely and just go visit at another time. I was annoyed. I know their questions were asked out of ignorance and not malicious so that helped. I know I will be asked those questions again.

I read an article, can’t remember where, in which a mother called social services on her daughter and child who were vegan. She did not think her grandchild was receiving adequate nutrition.

I wonder what the reaction would be to those defensive style questions if we just said "you don't have to eat like I do." I think so many people know their diets are harmful to self and the other animals. Our example pricks their conscience.

Ignorance is bliss for so many millions. My coworkers have ceased questioning me about the twins' being raised vegan. They just talk behind my back instead which is fine with me. I've explained it to them but they don't want to hear any evidence to the benefits of a plant-based diet. My family and friends just pretend this isn't part of our lives. I guess I'm fortunate in one sense for having such a dysfuctional, non-communative family-no hassles regarding family meals or events.

Tigerlily,

I'd go with Mz Natural's approach, ask them what benefits does meat have and then list respond to the benefits of a plant based diet. Or just pick up a bunch of copies of Why Vegan and hand them out!

Quote MzNatural
    Ironic
    how is it ironic?

Quote MzNatural
    I read an article, can’t remember where, in which a mother called social services on her daughter and child who were vegan. She did not think her grandchild was receiving adequate nutrition.
    some people really are stupid. you would think she would at least do some research before going and calling social services
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

Thanks guys.

Where can I get some Why Vegan? copies?

I have been told that when I have children they need to eat meat every day to grow by VERY ignorant people. I can't be bothered wasting my energy with that type, so I just say I will cross that bridge when I come to it. If it was someone else who had said that to me, I would have given all the points.

The two most frequent questions are as follows:

"So vegan -- you don't drink milk then?" Not cow milk, but I would drink plant-based milks, oat milk, rice milk, almond milk, and soy milk.

"Where do you get your protein?" Whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruit, nuts, and seeds.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

My very ignorant brother keeps asking me where I get my protein, and I keep responding with that answer, but he just keeps asking me the same question and telling me I can only get the bare minimum amount of protein to stay alive. Yes, that's why I'm able to go snowboarding for 3 - 4 hours at a time without having to sit down once except for riding the lift.

MzNatural, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. It really sucks when people act like you are doing a disservice to society be being vegan.

From my basic understanding of nutrition, plant based sources of protein are "better" or "more efficient" or what not. Unlike meat based sources which only have protein, some iron, and B12, cholesterol, saturated fats, etc... Plant sources are full of complex carbs, high in fibre, low in fat (usually) cholesterol free, and just plain yummier!

And it's really easy to get protein. I bought these seasme soy crackers, they have 1g of protein EACH! Wow, eat them with some natural peanut butter and a glass of soymilk in the morning it would be a lot of protein. And then maybe have a soy deli sandwhich on whole grain bread, protein again! That night have a bean salad and some quinoa...protein protein protein!

It's very easy to get protein, really. At least for me.

yeah, why is protein such a big issue anyway?
    I wish people would just do a LITTLE research before dumping boring questions on people who don't want to explain why they arre living a certain lifestyle. Damn, people, have you ever heard of google?
    People once thought my mother is a nut, but I once thought a nut was my mother! :D

i have read that few people need as much protein as they think, and the same goes for calcium, although i don't have the exact source to hand at the moment. i think it might have been in The Food Revolution by John Robbins. some people seem to just blindly assume that because they eat animal products, which the industries keep promoting as healthy, that their diet is automatically adequate. in fact the chances are they might be deficient in more things than vegans, as many vegans research where to get their nutrients from, rather than believing their diet is fine without even looking into nutrition.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I love when people say "where do you get your protien?" because I come back with "where do you get your anti-oxydants?"

I've also been known to ask people how much protien they need in a day. To date, no-one has been able to answer that.

My sister is famous for telling me "but you used to love cheese". I tell her "yea... right up until I found out what it was doing to me. Then the love went clean away." Out of everyone, she's the one that gives me the most razz about it but it's all in good fun sort of razz.

I guess I'm fortunate in my circles because mostly, I get people telling me how wonderful the diet is with a bit of planning. Every now and again, I get stories of people who have beat different conditions with the vegan diet and yes, I reaffirm to them that it's wonderful for beating things and it's wonderful for preventing things, too. I'll get the odd wanker wind-up from time to time but that's more the rarity than the rule.

Kiva, that's great!

I would tell them thanks for the concern, but if you are really so concerned about protein deficiency, why don't you send a donation in my name to an organization which helps to feed people around the word with actual protein deficiency.

Protein deficiency is a real disease with real symtoms. It is a big problem in developing countries especially among children.

Then I would quote our great vice president Dick Cheney and say, "or you can 'go fuck yourself.'"

A lot of omnivores don't get their required 5-10 fruits and veggies a day! They are missing out on A LOT more nutrients than we supposedly are by not eating animal products.

Default Re: 'How are you getting your nutrients - you poor thing?'

Why is it whenever you talk to a meat eater, and they find out you're vegan for the first time, their response is usually "I don't eat that much meat really", like they feel guilty or something?

Or do they just respond like that to me? lol .

They say that to me too MJJ.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

The other day someone actually said "well, I only eat free range chicken so I'm practically vegetarian". Erm... okay...

Quote mjj48 View Post
    Why is it whenever you talk to a meat eater, and they find out you're vegan for the first time, their response is usually "I don't eat that much meat really", like they feel guilty or something?

Or do they just respond like that to me? lol .
    No I've started to hear that a lot (and from vegetarians who eat dairy), which quite surprised me. Perhaps they're trying to pre-empt their assumption that I will judge them.

Yes, I've experienced that too, from family and from people I'd never met before. I always say "good for you" and smile. I usually also tell them that one less meat meal may mean another animal gets to live.
    I've also experienced the question about protein _many_ times (sigh).
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Quote mjj48 View Post
    In certain cases, they may tell you this for the very same reason they actually eat meat: lots of people just don't want to stick out and be/think/eat any different from those surrounding them - so it's easiest for them to eat meat, because they are surrounded my more meat eaters than veg*ns.

When these people occasionally meat a vegan they may want to try to conform as much as possible to that vegan by saying that that don't eat much meat, but who knows - next time they are surrounded by meat eaters, they may talk about why they could never become vegans because they love meat so much...

In her book "Becoming Vegan" Vesanto Melina writes that when people make similar comments it may mean they are trying to connect with us on some level. I think there's something in that.

Default Re: Myths about vegans: 'How are you getting your nutrients - you poor thing?'

Sure - I've seen that too... people who seem to feel that going vegan is the right thing to do, and who are reminded about that when they meet someone who've done it.

Default Re: Myths about vegans: 'How are you getting your nutrients - you poor thing?'

We went to join our local co-op yesterday and had an interesting conversation with the owner. He was telling us about all of the different food he gets in each week, all from local, organic farmers. One of the things he mentioned was that he gets organic, hormone free meats to which we said thank you but we're vegan so we'll just stick to the fruits and veggies. First he's really nice about it and has lots of questions about what we can and can't have. He asks us if there is anything in bread we can't have and we told him that if it had dairy or eggs in it we couldn't have it. Then, after we've finished with out shopping and are ready to check out, he starts in on this tirade about how his two daughters went vegan when they were 12 and by the time they were 20 they were both really sick. When they went to the doctor they were told that they had to eat meat to be healthy, basically to get enough protein. I told him that we eat plenty of protein and he said yeah, but that's not a complete protein. I told him that we ate a lot of quinoa which is a complete protein but he didn't believe it. He said that we have to have one small serving of meat per week to maintain good health. His exact words "You need one small piece of meat per week about the size of the palm of your hand to keep from getting really sick. Just a bit of really good, organic meat like I sell here in the store."

Obviously we left without any meat but it really bugged me. Robert and I talked about it after we left and wondered how he had to ask so many questions at first about what we could and couldn't eat but then later brought up the fact that his daughters were vegan from 12 years old. How do you raise vegan kids and not know what they can and can't eat. I'm thinking he made up the daughter story to try to convince us to buy his meats. Hopefully this will be the only time that he decides to lecture us, otherwise I'll have to not be as polite next time.

That's a very strange story, HappyVegan. Apart from anything else who's going to get their nutritional advice from a shopkeeper?

Maybe he just thought it was worth a try and will leave you alone next time. If not, maybe you could say "That was such good advice that I decided to open my own cattle farm so I still don't need to buy any meat from you". No, that's not a good idea.

A lot of doctors especially the older ones still believe that the only way you can get a complete strand of amino acids is from meat. That was the mainstay when they took their short course in nutrition back in the day. The truth is doctors don't necessarily have an abundance of knowledge when it comes to nutrition, their training lies in treating the sick and not preventing people from becoming sick.
    And alas I have arrived, like a whirlwind at a kindergarten picnic.

Quote HappyVegan View Post
    He said that we have to have one small serving of meat per week to maintain good health. His exact words "You need one small piece of meat per week about the size of the palm of your hand to keep from getting really sick. Just a bit of really good, organic meat like I sell here in the store.".
    Oh no, not another person who thinks that you can survive on a weekly dose of protein. We were talking on another thread that that just goes to show how ignorant people are, that you would only need "protein" every seven days.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

I know, it was a very strange conversation. I don't think he'll keep it up though. Like Harpy said, I think he just gave it a shot because he's not selling enough of his "healthy" meats. We were very clear that we wouldn't be buying anything non vegan.

last time i went to the doctor (it was just a check up as i registered with a new practise) i was asked if i got my five a day. i said "i'm vegan" and the nurse said "ooh thats good" and that was the end of it. i was expecting a lecture. but when people ask me if i get all my nutrients i tend to ask them to answer the same question first. do they know if they have enough b vitamins in their diet? do they know where vitamin D comes from or what it does? do they have more than five fruit &veg a day? and then when they admit their ignorance (as they always do) i ask as politely as i can whether they were really in any position to give me dietary advice.

Quote mjj48 View Post
    Same thing with dairy; people always say, "I don't drink that much milk," if I mention how bad dairy is. Nobody drinks that much milk; where is it all going?

cherylglistner

Quote Korn View Post
    Unless the person in question eats meat eating animals like lions and tigers (most people don't), asking 'where do you think the animals you eat get their nutrients from' usually is an effective response to that question.
    This is one of the best answers that I have heard. Also, another one that I've been preparing for some family members that are religous, (I just recently have become vegan), is that Adam and Eve could have only been vegan right? I mean there is no way that they could have been hunters, or farmers even. I imagine, well not that I really believe in this story, but I would imagine that they just ate what they ran across. So, wouldn't they have been vegans too. The response would be something like "What about Adam and Eve?"

Cheryl

After I am quizzed about nutrients or protein, I usually reply by saying I suppliant my diet with Spam. That lightens the mood and nine times out of ten the subject changes. Then I don't have to answer any questions.

Monty

Quote cherylglistner View Post
    This is one of the best answers that I have heard. Also, another one that I've been preparing for some family members that are religous, (I just recently have become vegan), is that Adam and Eve could have only been vegan right? I mean there is no way that they could have been hunters, or farmers even. I imagine, well not that I really believe in this story, but I would imagine that they just ate what they ran across. So, wouldn't they have been vegans too. The response would be something like "What about Adam and Eve?"
    I'm not religious myself, but I checked this one out and unfortunately I don't think it'll work on a religious nut. Adam and Eve were vegan, apparently God said to them.

(Genesis 1:29), "See, I give you every seed-bearing plant that is upon the earth, and every tree that has seed-bearing fruit, they shall be yours for food. And to all the animals on land, to all the birds of the sky, and to everything that creeps on earth, in which there is the breath of life, [I give] all the green plants for food."

Unfortunately, after the flood, apparently God has a change of heart and decides that mankind can eat meat aswell. So I'm afraid a religious person will quote some further scripture to 'prove' you wrong

The thing is I think that there was nothing else to eat. God also greatly reduced our life span at that point.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

When people find out I'm vegan they always say "Oohhh...that's why you're so skinny! You must not get any protein or iron!"
    So I respond with a reeaally long list of how I get all my nutrients and just keep talking and talking about aallll the nutrients I get and where they come from and blah blah blah....Then they've heard enough and stop harassing me. It always amazes me how many people seem to think that eating a diet high in vegetables and fruits is unhealthy...

RubyDuby

Quote Agatha View Post
    but when people ask me if i get all my nutrients i tend to ask them to answer the same question first. do they know if they have enough b vitamins in their diet? do they know where vitamin D comes from or what it does? do they have more than five fruit &veg a day? and then when they admit their ignorance (as they always do) i ask as politely as i can whether they were really in any position to give me dietary advice.
    oooh, i like that. I hope I can remember this when the subject pops up again... although I do tend to run away from any type of why vegan conversation.

Quote cherylglistner View Post
    Also, another one that I've been preparing for some family members that are religous, (I just recently have become vegan), is that Adam and Eve could have only been vegan right? I mean there is no way that they could have been hunters, or farmers even. I imagine, well not that I really believe in this story, but I would imagine that they just ate what they ran across. So, wouldn't they have been vegans too. The response would be something like "What about Adam and Eve?"
    Theres a crapload of info on the Christianity thread right now... its actually gotten quite heated, but interesting...
    http://veganforum.com/forums/showthr...748#post369748
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Quote Farflame View Post
    I'm not religious myself, but I checked this one out and unfortunately I don't think it'll work on a religious nut. Adam and Eve were vegan, apparently God said to them.

(Genesis 1:29), "See, I give you every seed-bearing plant that is upon the earth, and every tree that has seed-bearing fruit, they shall be yours for food. And to all the animals on land, to all the birds of the sky, and to everything that creeps on earth, in which there is the breath of life, [I give] all the green plants for food."

Unfortunately, after the flood, apparently God has a change of heart and decides that mankind can eat meat aswell. So I'm afraid a religious person will quote some further scripture to 'prove' you wrong
    So would I be right to say, that in Eden, when everything was great, plants were the food of choice. Then, when Adam and Eve screwed everything up, they started eating animals. God must have thought, well they've had it now they might as well start eating carcasses.

Quote Spud Addict View Post
    So would I be right to say, that in Eden, when everything was great, plants were the food of choice. Then, when Adam and Eve screwed everything up, they started eating animals. God must have thought, well they've had it now they might as well start eating carcasses.
    Well, from what I read, God allowed the eating of animals after the great flood, so I don't think it was due to the eating of the apple. I assume the reasoning is that the great flood caused a shortage of food and therefore meat was allowed on the menu - although since Noah only took 2 of each animal into the ark, that seems a rather strange decision. Unfortunately that would suggest that God considers humans superior to animals, so this whole argument would work in favour of the Christians. Mind you, in my opinion, Christianity says some very, very strange things and seems to have about as much an idea of 'God' as my fingernail.

Don't wish to be rude, chaps, but the Christianity stuff is definitely taking this thread off the rails... and personally I'd prefer to choose whether or not to read a religion thread. No offence, like.

Quote angelamc View Post
    When people find out I'm vegan they always say "Oohhh...that's why you're so skinny! You must not get any protein or iron!"
    So I respond with a reeaally long list of how I get all my nutrients and just keep talking and talking about aallll the nutrients I get and where they come from and blah blah blah....Then they've heard enough and stop harassing me. It always amazes me how many people seem to think that eating a diet high in vegetables and fruits is unhealthy...
    I get lots of garbage because I'm chubby - how come your so fat when you just eat vegetables - I kid you not Some people have no shame. I need to be about 10 stone so no one can berate me for being either a fat or a thin vegan. Ff's, it's a nightmare you cannot win
    Silent but deadly :p

Don't take any notice of what other people think as long as you feel reasonably healthy I used to be thin when I was a distance runner but now consider myself a bit chubby What's wrong with chubby?

sugarmouse

Hemlock I am just a 'normal' size, sometimes I want tobe thinner and sometimes I think well at least no one can accuse me of being too thin because I am vegan..
    its sad that so many are so uneducated

People are never really surprised when I've told them I'm a vegan, but they do tend to think I"m suffering in some way... like they must think the food isn't good or something. They start to act all sad and worried.

AND I always get those people who like to point out when I'm tired (from studying all night or something unrelated to my diet) that it must be because I don't get enough iron. I"m just like seriously? Are you a dietician? Do you know what I eat? Do you know what foods even contain iron? How is eating veggies and fruit not healthy?
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Jippia

I usually answer something like "everywhere" and sum up some things I eat.

At the beginning of this year, I kept a food diary for one week. The Dutch Vegan Society was looking for volunteers and I thought it would be nice to put some things on paper. It was great fun to keep the diary and answer the questions, such as how did you go vegan, what is your favourite vegan food, etcetera. It was for this month's issue of their magazine and I am planning to have it with me all the time, so I can have people read it whenever this question comes up. I got some feedback from one of the people working for the Society. She knows a lot about vegan food and stuff and analyzes my dairy.

It was an idea that came up as a response to a thread on their forum started by a lady who had kept a diary for another magazine.

Maybe an idea for this forum?

Mirjam

littlewinker

The skinny thing really annoys me.

I've been skinny all my life, now I'm 5'6" and 103lb. My veggie brother is 15 and weighs less than 80lb. It runs in the family.

When people (almost exclusively fat girls) say that I just tell them off for being rude, and how would they like it if I says "oh no wonder you're so porky if you eat dairy products when no human should eat milk after the age of 6 especially from the wrong species". Calling someone skinny is acceptable (jealousy no doubt, men never say it) whereas people call obeses like beth ditto voluptous and womanly.