Thread: Spring/Summer meal ideas

Default Spring/Summer meal ideas

It is getting hotter hear, as Summer is fast approaching...dhal and hot curries are becoming less and less appetising and colourful vegetable stir-fries, risottos and salads are becoming very tempting...

What are some cheap, wholefood type dinners to eat in the summer?

Getting to converse with folks all over the globe is one of the best things about this board.
    Do you have lots of fresh tomatoes? Those are great cut into slices with thinly sliced onion, cucumber, fresh basil, a little garlic, salt and olive oil. Let it marinade at room temp. for about 15 minutes. Or whirl in the blender for cold tomato soup.
    Make a fresh tomato spaghetti sauce by cooking in a small amount of oil the above concoction minus the cucumbers.
    What about summer squash stir fry.
    Cool fruit soups are good too.
    Yum, summer foods.
    What are the traditional Australian Christmas foods?

Banana - consider that in hot countries people tend to eat more spicy food. I would suggest that a good spicy Indian or Mexican dish is a perfect summer dish!
    On the other hand, I know what you're saying. I'll post an old favourite of ours tonight.
    No Gods, No Masters.

Quote Banana
    It is getting hotter hear, as Summer is fast approaching...dhal and hot curries are becoming less and less appetising and colourful vegetable stir-fries, risottos and salads are becoming very tempting...

What are some cheap, wholefood type dinners to eat in the summer?

ok for some! here in the uk its getting very rainy and miserable

Quote Andie
    What are the traditional Australian Christmas foods?
    Traditional Aussie foods at christmas include:
    - potato salad (covered in mayonnaise of course ewww )
    - barbecued meats (chicken wings, steaks, sausages etc... )
    - corn on the cob
    - fish and chips (on the beach)

For Christmas lunch, I know people who do the traditional turkey/ham thing or some people have barbecues.

Not very vegan friendly...even when vegies are made on the side, they are smothered in butter sauces or gravy.

My boyfriend's family is Burmese, and they also have (chicken) curry and saffron rice at Christmas. (The Saffron rice, of course, is traditionally made with ghee - maybe this year they will make it just with oil for me )

Back in Australia - my family was one of those that liked to do the traditional baked dinner on Christmas Day. Even though I wasn't vegan when I lived there, I still hated having a hot lunch on Christmas Day! The last Christmas I spent in Queensland it was 39 degrees on Christmas Day! A cold lunch would've been a lot nicer.

Our Christmas Lunch always consisted of ham, turkey, chicken, baked potatoes and other veggies, then Christmas pudding with hot custard and ice-cream. Later on in the afternoon everyone moves outside to relax with stone-fruits, home-made cookies and cups of tea. Bleh - makes me gain 10 pounds just thinking about it.

I posted the recipe I promised earlier on in the recipes forum:
    Salsa Tofu.
    It's quick, easy, and very light. But you can make it as spicy as you like by choosing the heat of the salsa... Me, I like it hot
    No Gods, No Masters.

Thanx Mysh

As I look out the window at LOTS of snow, I'm jealous of the warmth coming your way!

Anyway, favorite meal for hot summer days is wraps. We use tortillas, and fill with cold noodles or rice. Then we add nuts, seeds, raisins,shred coconut- whatever we have or feel like that day. Top it off with a nice peanut sate type sauce, roll and you're away!

tails4wagging

BANANA, Oh how I envy you there!!. Here in Uk at this moment is Pissing down with rain, hail and we had a thunder storm earlier. Got my heating on, dogs in front of the fire and we all have been told we will have a really nasty winter.

So can you send some good winter dishes and , we can send some summer dishes?.

If I win the Lotto, this week, I will join you down there!.