Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: california vegans!!!

TheBringer

Default Re: california vegans!!!

Hey Matt35mm!! If you see a girl named Natalie next semester say high for me. She's a good friend and she's transferring there in Fall. She's vegetarian. Maybe you could convince her to go vegan If you meet her.

I'll actually be away for all of next year. I'm studying abroad in England! But then I come back for one more quarter, so maybe NEXT year I can meet her.

I live in SAnta barbara and for all the people saying the narural cafe is bad idk what your talking about then again those were posts from last year but they have gotten good most of them have all vegan desserts which are fabulous and vegan soups every day and the zen burger is amazing with veganaise.. you just have to know what to but.. there is a load of vegan options here

I lied sb sucks for vegan food
    Last edited by xabcdefx; Jun 29th, 2009 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Cause

seitan

native foods is awesome!!!
    ive spent a lot of time in oc ,mainly laguna, but i was back there coupel years back for 3 days. i was staying with a freind from costa mesa. in three days we NEVER ate in, breakfast, lunch and dinner, all at cafes/frstaurants, asweome!

Quote xabcdefx View Post
    I live in SAnta barbara and for all the people saying the narural cafe is bad idk what your talking about then again those were posts from last year but they have gotten good most of them have all vegan desserts which are fabulous and vegan soups every day and the zen burger is amazing with veganaise.. you just have to know what to but.. there is a load of vegan options here

natural cafe is awesome...we have one in my town too only its called Natures Grill for some reason...but its the same thing!!! its interesting though because its ALWAYS packed, and I know for a fact that the people that eat there on a regular basis aren't all veggies. thats totally awesome, i guess it means goooood food, and it is
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

I was born in San Diego, but moved a while ago. I spend vacations with family in Hemet, which is SoCal, but unfortunately don't live there.
    Czujesz się wolny i robisz co chcesz. Jesteś piratem!

I'm in the UK but have a vegan friend who lives in LA. I have visited there 3 times in the last 18 months. Visited some cool vegan diners in Hollywood such as Truly Vegan, California Vegan, Jax vegan cafe and Vegan Express.

RubyDuby

is Jax back open??? (eta: u probably went before they closed)

have u had a birdie burger?? well its called birdie at truly different names for same thing at california and express. so good. must try if u haven't! (grilled seitan with cilantro/garlic)

i miss being able to eat in restaurants.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

RubyDuby

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    hey maybe I can convince the bf to move back to upstate NY. much closer.
    weird reading that!

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    is Jax back open??? (eta: u probably went before they closed)

have u had a birdie burger?? well its called birdie at truly different names for same thing at california and express. so good. must try if u haven't! (grilled seitan with cilantro/garlic)

i miss being able to eat in restaurants.
    I was there in April. I just looked at their website and see they're looking for a new location. I didn't realise it wasn't open now.

No, I haven't had a birdie burger. I'm very picky when it comes to food. Most things I don't like. I tend to only have veggie burger, fries or grilled soy cheese sandwich. I actually had my first ever vegan BLT at Jax. Hadn't tried the vegan rashers before. I don't tend to like eating many of the fake meat products - although after trying the BLT I've made my own at home since.

RubyDuby

but u must try it. its not like "fake meat" its just delicious.
    have your friend order it and take a bite.

actually, maybe dont get it at california vegan... i remember it being weird there.

Go to Green Leaves vegan and its called the Swing Burger (or if u go to truly get it there). seriously. it wins over omnis its so good.

ok, i'll stop now.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    but u must try it. its not like "fake meat" its just delicious.
    have your friend order it and take a bite.

actually, maybe dont get it at california vegan... i remember it being weird there.

Go to Green Leaves vegan and its called the Swing Burger (or if u go to truly get it there). seriously. it wins over omnis its so good.

ok, i'll stop now.
    lol ok. I haven't been to Green Leaves so will have to try that one next time.

RubyDuby

update how it goes.
    i love reminiscing about food.

PS- rock n roll noodles there are da'bomb as well.
    (not my words of course )

I'm in San Diego, attending (and teaching at) SDSU.

I think all the vegans are in Ocean Beach and Pacific Beach. I have to go all the way over there to get decent vegan food.
    "Banana bread! What the hell were you thinking?" –Apu

awww if you're in san diego, go to Sipz!!! It's amazing, oh how I miss it =(

I'm going to San Diego next week for a job interview! Spiz huh, I'll have to google it. Anyone have any other advice on places to go? How good is public trans? Is it vegan friendly?
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote DiaShel View Post
    I'm going to San Diego next week for a job interview! Spiz huh, I'll have to google it. Anyone have any other advice on places to go? How good is public trans? Is it vegan friendly?
    Only for the sake of clarity, since spiz might turn up something else altogether, but the restaurant is Sipz =)

Oh, and good luck with your interview!!!

Thanks a lot! I looked at the site. I'm sure I'll be eating there a lot!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Is it generally easy to get vegan food in most parts of LA, or does anyone have any recommendations of what part of the city is a good place to stay for a first time visitor? I am planning a trip there for next year, I will be meeting up with a friend who is not vegan and while she would be willing to eat in veg places I’m not sure how keen she would be to go out of the way to find food like I would do if I was by myself.

Will also probably stay in somewhere around Disneyland for a couple of days, am assuming it won’t be easy to find good food around there?

I'm going to be visiting in Orange County, so while I definitely want to make a trip to Native Foods in Costa Mesa, it's about 30-40 minutes drive maybe, I wonder if anyone has reccommendations of vegan-friendly dining in north Orange County? Thanks.

Quote lily80 View Post
    Is it generally easy to get vegan food in most parts of LA, or does anyone have any recommendations of what part of the city is a good place to stay for a first time visitor? I am planning a trip there for next year, I will be meeting up with a friend who is not vegan and while she would be willing to eat in veg places I’m not sure how keen she would be to go out of the way to find food like I would do if I was by myself.

Will also probably stay in somewhere around Disneyland for a couple of days, am assuming it won’t be easy to find good food around there?
    Well, I don't know about around Disneyland, but I went to the park earlier this year, and did find some vegan food at the restaurants (not super easy, but it was possible).

Quote Shrapnel View Post
    Well, I don't know about around Disneyland, but I went to the park earlier this year, and did find some vegan food at the restaurants (not super easy, but it was possible).
    Thanks, good to know it is possible to find vegan food there, we will probably spend a day or two in the park. Do you remember what restaurants? Have tried looking online to see what’s available but haven’t had much luck!

Quote lily80 View Post
    Thanks, good to know it is possible to find vegan food there, we will probably spend a day or two in the park. Do you remember what restaurants? Have tried looking online to see what’s available but haven’t had much luck!
    Aw, glad to help =) I remember that the Rancho Del Zocalo was pretty good. It's a Mexican restaurant (as you can probably guess), and has a vegetarian burrito (just ask to leave off the cheese) that is pretty good. I went to the Blue Bayou also, and they had a vegan ratatouille. I know of a pizza place in Tomorrowland, but havent tried it to see if they make cheeseless version, of what's in their sauce or dough. I had a salad at the Plaza Inn (on Mainstreet, near the entrance to Fantasyland and Tomorrowland), though salads aren't really anything special there. Though you can ask ahead. I found it helped to go to the town hall (the guest relations place on Main Street) and talk to someone there. They did know about vegan food, though some of the restaurant staff may not. The Bengal BBQ offers vegetable skewers, though you have to go through the sight and smell of roasting meat cooked in the open. And as an emergency,you can always bring food. They say it's not permitted, but if you explain that it's due to your ethics/beliefs, they're cool with it (they wouldn't risk pissing people off).

There are other places that have vegetarian dishes (they never seem to say vegan, even if they are since vegetarian still is much more widely known), but I found most vegetarian dishes can be veganized if you ask since it's usually a matter of leaving off cheese or cream. I went to Disneyland with someone who was definitely not vegan at the time, and she didn't want to bother with looking for places that had food I'd eat, so I just got lucky with the places I went to, but it turned out to be quite nice.

As an omni we very rarely ate inside Disneyland because of expense. But I can understand why someone would want to, and good to hear the advice about vegetarian options that can be veganized.

Thanks for that Shrapnel!! Still a while before I go but I like to be prepared so it's handy to know what places are likely to be able to do vegan food. I haven't been to a theme park in years and never one like disneyland so looking forward to it already!

Quote lily80 View Post
    Thanks for that Shrapnel!! Still a while before I go but I like to be prepared so it's handy to know what places are likely to be able to do vegan food. I haven't been to a theme park in years and never one like disneyland so looking forward to it already!
    Aw, you're quite welcome =) I'm just happy to help (and let me know if you have any other questions; I was there just this past summer). When are you going?

Sweet, will post again if I have any more questions, which I probably will cause I am just at the beginning of planning the trip stage. I'm not going until May.

Hello guys! New to the Vegan lifestyle... and loving it.. lets see - went to school in SD, OC and now am in norcal - Fremont to be exact.. anyone else nearby?

Quote Shrapnel View Post
    Aw, glad to help =) I remember that the Rancho Del Zocalo was pretty good. It's a Mexican restaurant (as you can probably guess), and has a vegetarian burrito (just ask to leave off the cheese) that is pretty good. I went to the Blue Bayou also, and they had a vegan ratatouille. I know of a pizza place in Tomorrowland, but havent tried it to see if they make cheeseless version, of what's in their sauce or dough. I had a salad at the Plaza Inn (on Mainstreet, near the entrance to Fantasyland and Tomorrowland), though salads aren't really anything special there. Though you can ask ahead. I found it helped to go to the town hall (the guest relations place on Main Street) and talk to someone there. They did know about vegan food, though some of the restaurant staff may not. The Bengal BBQ offers vegetable skewers, though you have to go through the sight and smell of roasting meat cooked in the open. And as an emergency,you can always bring food. They say it's not permitted, but if you explain that it's due to your ethics/beliefs, they're cool with it (they wouldn't risk pissing people off).

There are other places that have vegetarian dishes (they never seem to say vegan, even if they are since vegetarian still is much more widely known), but I found most vegetarian dishes can be veganized if you ask since it's usually a matter of leaving off cheese or cream. I went to Disneyland with someone who was definitely not vegan at the time, and she didn't want to bother with looking for places that had food I'd eat, so I just got lucky with the places I went to, but it turned out to be quite nice.
    Holy crap dude! I worked at Rancho Del Zocalo when I was in Disneyland as a busser! LOL How cooool.

Never ate inside Disney though, way too expensive.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
    - Samuel Beckett

I don't know where Fremont is but, I live in Yosemite Nat'l Park and Phloxy is moving to Chowchilla in a couple of weeks.

Quote E.F. View Post
    I'm from Laguna Niguel, Orange County. Now I live in Germany. But where I used to live there were a fair amount of vegans, and a good amount of veggies....

im from aliso! ever go to wheel?

Quote E.F. View Post
    Another OC resident here.... vegan restaurants definatly abound here,with Native Foods and The Stand being favorites

wheel of life is the best vegan resturant in orange county. hands down. :]

Yay, I like this thread. I live in Seal Beach. To Guate Vegan all lonely in Garden Grove, there are tons of vegans around here! My friend lives in Stanton and is vegan, her bf is and he's in Huntington, I'm in Seal...where have you been? Hopefully to Tien Vu cuz that restaurant is insanely good.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Quote Sarah_ View Post
    Yay, I like this thread. I live in Seal Beach. To Guate Vegan all lonely in Garden Grove, there are tons of vegans around here! My friend lives in Stanton and is vegan, her bf is and he's in Huntington, I'm in Seal...where have you been? Hopefully to Tien Vu cuz that restaurant is insanely good.

It's because I have been underage up until like two weeks ago and I have no way to get around lol..If I did I would probably go to some meetup somewhere... I still don't have a license though, but I'm leaving to Israel soon so making vegan friends here would be painful since I would be leaving them anyway!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
    - Samuel Beckett

LA vegan here I've been living at Stuff I Eat in Inglewood lately. It's local, the food is sooo good and not bad on the prices either. It's about time Inglewood got a vegan restaurant!
    ~peace & daisies to you~

Quote flyingcucumber View Post
    LA vegan here I've been living at Stuff I Eat in Inglewood lately. It's local, the food is sooo good and not bad on the prices either. It's about time Inglewood got a vegan restaurant!

oooh! what kind of food is it? i was just in culver city on sunday!
    a hero begging change
    his sword across his knees.

Quote lizmag View Post
    oooh! what kind of food is it? i was just in culver city on sunday!
    It's like a mix of Mexican (tofu tacos, enchilada pie, burritos, quesadillas) and American? (portobello mushroom sandwich, untuna sandwich, tofu chicken salad sandwich). They also have amazing raw desserts! They opened last June and I'm trying to keep them open ..if that means going 3-4 times a month..so be it lol.

http://www.stuffieat.com/

Oh.. and if any LA vegans are interested in going to a raw vegan potluck on Sat. May 2, let me know..it's in Manhattan Beach.
    ~peace & daisies to you~

Quote flyingcucumber View Post
    It's like a mix of Mexican (tofu tacos, enchilada pie, burritos, quesadillas) and American? (portobello mushroom sandwich, untuna sandwich, tofu chicken salad sandwich). They also have amazing raw desserts! They opened last June and I'm trying to keep them open ..if that means going 3-4 times a month..so be it lol.

http://www.stuffieat.com/

Oh.. and if any LA vegans are interested in going to a raw vegan potluck on Sat. May 2, let me know..it's in Manhattan Beach.

wait a min... they have soy quesadillas??
    are they actually good.. i dont like most soy cheeses
    a hero begging change
    his sword across his knees.

Quote lizmag View Post
    wait a min... they have soy quesadillas??
    are they actually good.. i dont like most soy cheeses

lol I don't either. I haven't had the quesadilla yet..I don't really like eating processed food much and that includes vegan cheese and tofu/faux meat..I may have it one of these days..I've been meaning to try it.
    ~peace & daisies to you~

Oh yay! I'm glad to see the thread still has recent posts in it, hehe.

I live out here in Modesto, 2 hours from the bay area. There are no vegetarian/vegan restaurants out here that I know of, but I get by with shopping at Raley's. My boyfriend and I are planning to move out to Santa Cruz when we get a little more situated with our income. I had no idea how vegan friendly Santa Cruz was until I visited in March of this year. If you live out there, I hope you know how lucky you are!

Well howdy, Nancy lives in Chowchilla and I live in Yosemite. We mostly cook, so we don't really care about restaurants, but the Chowchilla Raley's is reasonably stocked. They also have vegan french toast bread!

Quote Psych3 View Post
    Oh yay! I'm glad to see the thread still has recent posts in it, hehe.

I live out here in Modesto, 2 hours from the bay area. There are no vegetarian/vegan restaurants out here that I know of, but I get by with shopping at Raley's. My boyfriend and I are planning to move out to Santa Cruz when we get a little more situated with our income. I had no idea how vegan friendly Santa Cruz was until I visited in March of this year. If you live out there, I hope you know how lucky you are!

Quote JohnnyZu View Post
    Well howdy, Nancy lives in Chowchilla and I live in Yosemite. We mostly cook, so we don't really care about restaurants, but the Chowchilla Raley's is reasonably stocked. They also have vegan french toast bread!
    Hi!
    Yes, cooking is a must with my boyfriend and I, but it's very nice to sit down at a restaurant now and then where we don't have to pick at the menu for something reasonable, hehe.
    Vegan french toast? Can has? I LOVE Raley's, would probably starve without it.

Quote Psych3 View Post
    Hi!
    Yes, cooking is a must with my boyfriend and I, but it's very nice to sit down at a restaurant now and then where we don't have to pick at the menu for something reasonable, hehe.
    Vegan french toast? Can has? I LOVE Raley's, would probably starve without it.

Yah, it really is nice to be able to eat out from time to time. I like a couple of places in Merced. One is the Indian food place on Main street, but it is hardly ever open, and the other is the Thai place on 16th, which is always open. Both are very vegan friendly.

In other news, I went to a Chinese restaurant (normally a vegan slam-dunk) in Chowchilla and asked what was available to vegans. The server said that they didn't have anything. I looked around at the establishment, nearly devoid of customers, and asked, "so, I should take my big wad of cash that I want to spend on food elsewhere?"

Here is the French Toast recipe:

"French Toast, Cashew Tahini (by Sarah Preston)

Ingredients

1 cup unsalted cashews
    1/4 cup sesame tahini (use one that isn’t very bitter like arrowhead mills)
    1 1/4 cup soymilk
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 loaf French bread sliced about 1/2 inch thick
    oil for frying

Method

-Put all ingredients into a blender and puree until very smooth. It will be a very thick, creamy substance like pancake batter. Dip slices of bread into batter and coat each side fully. Put into heated frying pan and cook until browned and not soggy.

Serve with real maple syrup and Earth Balance....maybe some berries."

Also, I am importing the Zonkey from VRF:
    I may post more here, if we had Zonkeys.
    -Jason

Haha, did the people at the restaurant even try to accommodate you? That would be so rude just to say "No, get your stinky, hippie ass out of here." lol

That French toast sounds extremely delicious already! Thank you so much for posting that. I'm on my way tomorrow to pick up a few of the ingredients that I still need. I'll take pictures of me noming them and post them up, how about that? Hehe

Few people could mistake me for a hippie, ha! I think if I were called a hippie, I would have to punch someone in the dick.

Nancy (phloxy) and I love this recipe. I think we have a bunch of breakfast favorites, including, banana-pecan pancakes, blueberry cornbread muffins and various burrito incarnations. French toast is a simple, delicious luxurious treat.

Quote Psych3 View Post
    Haha, did the people at the restaurant even try to accommodate you? That would be so rude just to say "No, get your stinky, hippie ass out of here." lol

That French toast sounds extremely delicious already! Thank you so much for posting that. I'm on my way tomorrow to pick up a few of the ingredients that I still need. I'll take pictures of me noming them and post them up, how about that? Hehe

Santa Clara here. I've only tried 1 vegan place here so far. It's called good karma vegan house. Kind of cafe style food. they cook it up at the start of each day and u kinda order from what they have that day. Its in downtown san jose near sjsu. its really laid back and nice in there. very small though haha.

To all the Southern Cali, beach-going people: Thuyen Vien in Garden Grove closed down as well as That's Amore-the vegan Italian food place in Cerritos, but there's still Native Foods in Costa Mesa/Tustin, Au Lac in Westminster, the restaurants in the Mother's Markets in Huntington Beach and Costa Mesa, Bodhi Tree on Main Street in Huntington, Secret Spot in Sunset Beach and tons more that I haven't been to yet.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

hey.. new to the forum here. i'm in thousand oaks and have to say there aren't a ton of selections in my area (i hate to drive too far). but as it was mentioned before, natural cafe is pretty awesome. no one mentioned Mary's Secret Garden though... absolutely fantastic vegan/raw place in Ventura. definitely worth a try...

anyone local? would be great to meet some others in the area!

Quote daydreamer View Post
    hey.. new to the forum here. i'm in thousand oaks and have to say there aren't a ton of selections in my area (i hate to drive too far). but as it was mentioned before, natural cafe is pretty awesome. no one mentioned Mary's Secret Garden though... absolutely fantastic vegan/raw place in Ventura. definitely worth a try...

Hey, welcome to the forum

Quote daydreamer View Post

I grew up in Ventura, I love Mary's Secret Garden and the Natural Cafe. They also opened a new Vegan restaurant in Ojai, and there is Farmer and the Cook in Ojai too. Havn't been to either yet.

Nice to meet you!
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."