Thread: Vegan York

Question Vegan York

Has anyone been to Vanilla black in york, i read the menu and it sounds delicious...
    Last edited by flutterby; May 21st, 2007 at 05:50 PM. Reason: thread made from posts in the Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (outside London) thread
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Kevster

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

After spending two and a half hours hanging out in The Kings Arms, York (Sam Smiths pub) it was time to go here:

http://www.vanillablack.co.uk/

Vanilla black is a vegetarian restaurant, and not cheap! The main course of dumplings and vegetables were excellent, really very good. For dessert i was a little disappointed that there was just a fruit dish for vegans and the waitress went to speak to the chef, and after consultation i managed an apple crumble with coconut sorbet, not quite what i had in mind but very good, and all for just under twenty quid!

I rare trip out.

Attire: Jeans and a t-shirt.

veggiewoman

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

I am just off out for a meal at EL PIANO in York -http://elpiano.seventyfour.co.uk/ taking my non vegetarian parents for an educational trip out lol

Kevster

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (other)

Went along to El Piano in York, most of the food they do is vegan. I only popped along to try a piece of cake and have a cup of tea, but the food looked really good, with tapas trays and all sorts. I'll be bck to try it properly soon.

PS. Saw you Kiran and Rachel too

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (other)

Quote Kevster View Post
    PS. Saw you Kiran and Rachel too
    Where!! When?? And you did not meet us?
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (outside London)

Went to El Piano in York. Very friendly and chilled out place with loads of vegan stuff on the menu. They do 3 different portion sizes. I had a medium bowl of chilli and a small bowl of tofu in a really interesting sauce. I was hopping to try out dessert but I was too stuffed after my meal to manage any
    There are lots of unusual foods on the menu that would be nice to try out but also lots of safe options too. Why do all the nice places have to be so far from me? grrr

Question Vegan eating place in York

My sister found a veggie/vegan place in some veggie info. It is Vanilla Black in Swinegate York but I can't find any ref to it in multimap. Anyone heard of it?
    She mentioned El Piano which I seem to remember someone recommending so might go there if we can't find Vanilla.
    Last edited by flutterby; May 21st, 2007 at 05:51 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread to posts in the Vegan friendly restaurants in UK(outside London) thread, now merged

Default Re: Vegan eating place in York

www.vanillablack.co.uk

Never been there though.

Kevster

Aha........ i have been to both. Vanilla Black is quite smart and pretty expensive. But the food is quite delicious. If you want vegan dessert i strongly recommend you phone them first or you'll end up with a fruit compot or something completely unworthy of the title 'vegan dessert'

Most of what El Piano does is vegan. The food is alright (what i've had), it's a little pricey in my opinion, especially the puds, but they do a good variety.

Both are really close to each other.

friendly fri

lord a mercy!!twenty notes at vanilla blacks for a dinner!!..golly thats a bit on the steep side for me but im sure itll be thoroughly irresistible when next we go to york..yum
    :D :)

pathologist

Well I think El Piano is fantastic - You really can have as big a portion as you want so you can try several dishes- It is really great to go to a place that is basically vegan. It must be fanastic for people with coeliac disease as well because they have loads of gluten free options - so that's worth remembering if you know anyone who needs a cafe with lots of gluten free options.

We went to Vanilla Black which was very special. The food was fantastic though I agree that the vegan choice was limited. We didn't get a chance to 'phone so I ended up with the only option for dessert. It was pricey but as a 'once off' that was ok. I think I may have chosen El Piano having read the later posts that it has more vegan choice. If we're in York again we'll try it.
    We had lunch both days we were there in The Blake Head Veggie cafe, 104, Micklegate. That was really great, huge portions off lovely salads and some vegan options. I chose the hummus both days as I LOVE hummus!

We had lunch at El Piano last week. I loved the food but agree with Kevster that it's on the expensive side - for the size of portion that you get. I thought they were decidely stingy but maybe I'm just on the greedy side
    Everywhere is walking distance... if you have the time

A late addition I know but those looking for reviews could do worse than:
    http://www.happycow.net

Vanilla Black - http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=5139
    El Piano - http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=780
    Blake Head Cafe - http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=779

Enjoy
    Phibes

Default Vegan friendly restaurants in York?

I'm going to York this weekend and I wondered if anyone could recommend some vegan friendly places to go for dinner. So far I've only found El Piano and Vanilla Black, are there any others? Thanks!
    Last edited by flutterby; Oct 24th, 2007 at 03:55 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in York?

Dinner as in evening? The only vegetarian restaurant that was there when I lived there closed down El piano is what I'd have suggested but I hadn't heard of Vanilla Black! I'm tempted to go back to York to try it! It looks fab.

If you mean lunch then there's also the Blakehead bookshop and cafe. They do good vegan burgers and soup and things.

disturbed

Quote talitha View Post
    We had lunch at El Piano last week. I loved the food but agree with Kevster that it's on the expensive side - for the size of portion that you get. I thought they were decidely stingy but maybe I'm just on the greedy side
    Finally made it to York and went to El Piano this week. I agree the food was nice but the dish sizes were like very small, small, and medium, which I didn't think justified their prices. Maybe I'm also just greedy! Also had a very sweet chocolately dessert........which I can't remember the name of so must have been good! I'd certainly go again to try someting else from the varied menu.

Default York vegans anywhere?

I just wanted to say there is a new Veggie & vegan group recently launched, if any one is on facebook there are a couple of pages been made , one is 'York veggie and vegan diners club'.

Some of us are going to El Piano on Friday 15th August.
    If there is any1 who would like to come along and meet some more veggies then let me know so that we get an idea of how many are coming. By the way , you don't 'have' to be from York to come along lol.

Default Re: York vegans anywhere?

Ooo! I used to live near york, I've joined your group on facebook. I'm only in Hull, so if I'm not working (waitng on a new job to start / confirm they're definately employing me ><) I can make it and check out your store too

I love El Piano, spent far too much money there over the last few years, but it went 99% vegan this year (is it still largely vegan?) Only thing not is they offer cows milk for beverages :/

But yes! count me in
    Vegan Forum: keeping me sane in the world of the ignorant.

hi philfox

yeah its still 99% vegan (offer cows milk for drinks!)

If you could say on the facebook group that you want to come that will be more helpful, thank you.

Quote Kyi-po View Post
    that will be more helpful, thank you.
    *Is the epitome of less helpful*

Is El Piano a quaint little restaurant with a mediterranean feel, situated on a pedestrianised street? I've been to one like that in York but can't remember what it was called. If it is that one, its a lovely place.
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

Default York vegan(s) - singular or plural?

is there just me here, or is there a second, or dare i imagine, even a third vegan living in york??

Default Re: York vegan(s) - singular or plural?

I used to live in and then near York! So I know it quite well. I'm afraid I live in Hull now, so of no use. But I can find any excuse to go to El Piano!

asleep ona sunbeam

I go to York most Saturdays when I'm at home (in Harrogate) so any York vegans, feel free to try to meet up with me 9or vegans in general).

Default Vegan York?

Although there are 2 decent veggie places to eat in York, I still haven't met/heard of other vegans here. I feel isolated and surrounded by meat!! Anyone else out there?!
    Last edited by Korn; Dec 28th, 2011 at 08:39 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Vegan York?

Hiya, I think there have been forum members in York but I'm not sure if any of them are around at the moment.

The Vegan Society lists a York families contact and a Yorkshire contact here - http://www.vegansociety.com/about/local-contacts.aspx Perhaps if all else fails you could ask them what's going on, if anything? It could also be worth looking here http://www.vegsoc.org/Page.aspx?pid=671&frcrld=1 - it is vegetarian but often the more active members of such things turn out to be vegan.

Hope you find something. If not you could think about starting something yourself, maybe? Especially if it's just a social group to begin with, it needn't be too much trouble.

Default Re: Vegan York

Thanks for the links harpy It's really not the greatest place to be a vegan so I'm unsurprised really!

Shame, I would have thought there would have at least been some vegan students at the university there? Nice place otherwise, suppose you can't have everything...

There is a group in York, but events haven't been well attended recently. I think Anna, the organiser, is looking for a bit of help. (Sorry if Anna is on here, I'm only in contact with her via Facebook).

Quote philfox View Post
    I used to live in and then near York! So I know it quite well. I'm afraid I live in Hull now, so of no use. But I can find any excuse to go to El Piano!
    I'm from Boro'bridge, but live in London. I go to El Piano whenever I'm in York. Their menu though is one of the most complicated and overstretched I've ever come across; crying out to be simplified. Delicious food all the same. Last time I was in a bit of a rush, so settled for black beans and dirty rice from the take away menu. Because of their policy of serving everything in banana leaves it got very hot very quickly, causing me to run down Back Swinegate juggling my lunch and looking very much in pain...

leedsveg

If only York and New York had the same ubiquity for vegan food, although I wouldn't want to put off anybody wishing to visit either. Mrs Lv are hoping to visit there in summer.

Leedsveg