On Sunday the 21st May, prior to vegetarian week, the
    Leeds vegetarian and vegan society are holding a small
    veggie fayre at The Common Place between 12 and 5,
    come along to check out delicious food, live music,
    recipes, local stalls, a free shop and whatever else
    we can organise.

Info about The Common Place can also be found here:
    www.thecommonplace.org.uk
    Tomorrow, how exciting! I'm off to bake a cake!!!!!!!

veggiewoman

Default Re: Leeds vegan events

I look forward too that Kevster , tyr not to burn it tho lol

veggiewoman

Don't forget the cake Kevster lol, see you soon

Kevster

Today was the day, between 12 and 17.00 people at large were invited into The Common Place (www.thecommonplace.org.uk) to sample vegan delights! There was some amazing cooking going on, pizzas, curry, cakes, apple and parsnip soup!! And great raw vegan food. It was all good, tho i didn't get to eat much of it! (apart from the cake) i was chained to the sink washing and drying. Loads of people turned up and good amounts of money were raised for local organisations. It seemed like a great day, thank goodness it rained we couldn't have served any more people than we did!

It was also a busy day for the Captive Animal Protection Society, the Northern Animal Rights Network, Uncaged, Europeans for Medical progress, Leeds Animal Protection, Hope Pastures Horse and Pony Sanctuary, Friends of the Earth, Leeds veggies and vegans, and the kids vegan stall. Excellent to see them along.

I'm looking forward to the Bristol Vegan fayre (Saturday June 10th), where i can help out a bit and laze around perusing the food stalls, and filling my gob at leisure.

VeganJohn

I couldn't make it as I was staying over at a friend's house as it was her birthday. Glad it went well though!!

I just got the first two Ray Greek books today and I think Europeans for Medical Progress are great. I would love to meet some of them.

Kevster

I won a couple of prizes in the raffle (coincidence?) one of which is vegan pizzas for two at The Grove Cafe. To try and halt the mad rush to dine with me, i will declare now that i have invited Kiran.

Come on now ladies, there is no need for any jealousy.

Thanks Kevster lad, Old pal!! My mate.. .. We will post the reviews on here.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Quote Kevster
    I won a couple of prizes in the raffle (coincidence?) one of which is vegan pizzas for two at The Grove Cafe. To try and halt the mad rush to dine with me, i will declare now that i have invited Kiran.

I am positively green with envy!!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Quote Kevster

Your taking HIM...HIM and not ME? Sob sob sob....
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

VeganJohn

OMG, how I miss the Grove Cafe!! As a student in Leeds, many a vegan pizza was ordered come a weekend, or sometimes during the week too. I actually went there once and had a vegan pizza inside the place, as I was curious as to what it was actually like. Very pleasant. I also got a nice side salad with the pizza.

I remember their vegan curries were gorgeous too.

Kevster

Quote catmogg
    Your taking HIM...HIM and not ME? Sob sob sob....
    I just knew this would cause problems

Kevster

Went for food with Kiran, and we had bhajis to start and then pizza, i also had poppadoms. I am pleased to announce Kiran managed to eat all his tea this time.

I'm still full after a long walk home, and think i must go and sleep.

well thats it. You write about having food with HIM but not me.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Kevster

Quote catmogg
    well thats it. You write about having food with HIM but not me.
    I thought you were meeting me in secret.

Quote catmogg
    You write about having food with HIM but not me.
    Well ... he told me about your meetup. Catmogg, you throwing up all over the place does not qualify for a good report for this forum. Sorry.

Rumours floating around say that you are barred for life from the Kumquat Mae in Sheffield! Is that true? I have told you before that spliff and food don't mix together. Hope you have learnt your lesson.

Kiran....You.... you....you....*blows raspberry*!!!!!!

Um, Kevster, i forgot it was a secret. Damn.

- Byron

Kevster

Went for a lovely day out today, where a friend was putting on a party for her daughter. There was amazing food (kids eat great food!). All the food was vegan, and i ate little cheese cubes, bhajis, vegan pizza, hummous sarnies.

Later, cake was served including strawberry birthday cake, chocolate cake with cream, trifle!!! And there was more that for once i just could not manage.

Kevster

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

Went to Little Tokyo in Leeds with a lady from the forum. It was very nice (including the company) food was delicious, though i struggled a bit as i was just getting over being ill. Said young lady ordered noodle/veg soup and was given a massive ladle to eat it with, i thought they were having a laugh, two hours and several chopsticks and forks/spoons later the towel was thrown in.

All very good, and two boiled sweets as well!

Kevster

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

Beanos in Leeds has started doing some lunches, it's a wholefood shop that has recently moved up North Street, next door to Hansa's. If you're looking for a reasonably priced vegan lunch in Leeds it's a good place to go.

They also do fairtrade coffee and smoothies too!

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (other)

Probably been mentioned before but there are some great places in Leeds:
    Hansas - all veggie (& many vegan) Gujarati Indian food
    Roots & Fruits - nice little cafe, cheap & quick
    Little Tokyo - quick Japanese stuff, lots of vegan options, make sure to mention that you're a vegan when ordering something though in case they add fish flakes
    The Common Place - vegan cafe on Sat from 12.00 - 17.00
    Out of this World - deli & supermarket with many vegan snacks
    Pickles & Potter - deli with lovely local food & good vegan options
    Just Bean - organic fair trade coffee stall with lovely vegan sandwich
    Beanos - apparently just opened a cafe at their new premises

Quote digable View Post
    Little Tokyo - quick Japanese stuff, lots of vegan options, make sure to mention that you're a vegan when ordering something though in case they add fish flakes
    This restaurant is funny. Myself and a friend considered eating there last weekend. We both were taken aback with what they claimed. On the door they said "No animal fat". Their menu included chicken, duck recipies. We found this claim to be really amusing. As if duck and chicken are not animal fat. Whats this about?

disturbed

Quote digable View Post
    Probably been mentioned before but there are some great places in Leeds:
    Out of this World - deli & supermarket with many vegan snacks
    Pickles & Potter - deli with lovely local food & good vegan options
    If deli's are included, there's one at org-organics which is a small organic health food shop. The menu uses symbols to denote organic, vegan, vegetarian, and not veg*n. You can also eat in for an extra charge which is clearly shown on the menu.

Quote Kiran View Post
    This restaurant is funny. Myself and a friend considered eating there last weekend. We both were taken aback with what they claimed. On the door they said "No animal fat". Their menu included chicken, duck recipies. We found this claim to be really amusing. As if duck and chicken are not animal fat. Whats this about?
    Hello, I think they mean that the food is not cooked in animal fat. In some places even the veggie food is cooked in animal produce, especially ghee.
    xx

Default Help

Ok, so I may be on a bit of a loser here, but any help would be much obliged.
    I have to go for Sunday lunch tomorrow with my family & my sisters friend visiting from Austria. They really want a traditional English roast. Does anybody know of a place in or around Leeds that will have some/any vegan options?
    I was thinking maybe the Mill Race, but their menu looks pretty expensive.
    Cheers x

I recently got royally treated by RachelJune at the newly refurbished Hansas restaurant in Leeds. With a much smarter interiors, more seating area and witty Indian decors this place has had a major investment by the looks of it. Two levels of seating have been added. Its quite an intimate place for parties or celebrations.

The place smells like fresh Indian cooking, and the ambience is good - although I felt that the music is a bit too loud. The menu has not changed much because there is no need to. The quality of food is exceptional as always. This is proper Indian food. No greasy curries floating in oil.

We both started off with a starter each, of steamed battered Patra (leaf http://www.tropipak.com/productpics/DasheenLeaf.JPG). Miss RachelJune then had some pulao rice and curry, with the final touches being a dessert called sweet sev.

I had the large Thali which I must admit, I struggled to finish.

http://www.hansasrestaurant.com/index2.htm

Hansas claim that their Lassi is vegan, is it a soy alternative or typo?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Cheeky!! They mean this lassi. A drink usually made using yoghurt.

Kevster

Good point tho, you do have to be a trifle careful at Hansas. And make sure they know you are vegan and that you want the dishes made vegan, otherwise you can end up with veggie stuff.

We couldn't help ourselves.. Ended up back there again tonight! Made a disturbing discovery re the "vegan" lassi we had last time. Apparently it is not actually vegan as we were previously led to believe No soya yoghurt... So beware.
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

Quote RachelJune View Post
    the "vegan" lassi we had last time. Apparently it is not actually vegan as we were previously led to believe No soya yoghurt... So beware.
    For some reason the person who was serving us found it very amusing. "How can lassi be vegan? Its got yoghurt. Thats how it is made!"

The thali (http://www.hansasrestaurant.com/thali.htm) according to them is vegan. Why do they give Lassi? We pointed this out to her and she said "at the moment I can only apologise! Are you guys strict vegans?"

There's a nice indian restaurant in Leeds (Roundhay Road) called Arti.

Whilst not specifically vegan or vegetarian, the staff are very helpful and more than happy to accomodate. The head chef in particular is understanding and takes great care with the food preparation - on one occasion he came sprinting out of the kitchen to remove a non-vegan item from our table

This is one of the few omni places where we feel comfortable in the knowledge that the food is "safe" (not to mention delicious), and besides the food the atmosphere itself is lovely. Very highly recommended.

Kevster

Went over to Kiran and Rachels for delicious Indian food, i think they surpassed themselves this time, excellent pakora as per usual, absolutely stuffed full. A banquet indeed.

Also rather enjoyed the rose rice pudding, and the cheesecake was absolutely fab too.

I'm jealous ..ahhh but are their pakoras as good as mine?!? hmm....
    "On the dance-floor I am a world class freak... Its the beat"

veggiewoman

There will be some of us meeting in Leeds on the Saturday 7th April, meeting at 3:30pm inside Leeds train station , outside the body shop next to wh smiths.
    Prob just going to a pub and then those who want to go for food later can do.

That sounds cool, veggiewoman. I should be able to make it. It would be nice to see some of you there

Quote Kevster View Post
    Went over to Kiran and Rachels for delicious Indian food, i think they surpassed themselves this time, excellent pakora as per usual, absolutely stuffed full. A banquet indeed.

Also rather enjoyed the rose rice pudding, and the cheesecake was absolutely fab too.
    Thanks, Kev Glad you enjoyed it. Kiran's legendary pakoras were indeed delicious, as always!

Thanks to those who brought the desserts too Looking forward to the next meet-up.

Kevster

I am seriously going to have to go down the gym twice a week now. 'Things' (Tea and cake) are getting quite out of hand.

Quote veggiewoman View Post
    There will be some of us meeting in Leeds on the Saturday 7th April, meeting at 3:30pm inside Leeds train station , outside the body shop next to wh smiths.
    Prob just going to a pub and then those who want to go for food later can do.
    thanks veggiewoman, I'm going to try to make it
    "On the dance-floor I am a world class freak... Its the beat"

veggiewoman

thats good Orange-powered , hope you can make it. Anyone else coming?
    Hope you can still make it Rachel June

Kevster

I'll be going........................

Sorry I couldn't make it in the end. I got somewhat sidetracked by surprise party I hope you guys had a great time. Hopefully see you some other time

Kevster

Surprise party!!!! Yep had a decent evening, will no doubt be doing something again soon.

Quote Kevster View Post
    I am seriously going to have to go down the gym twice a week now. 'Things' (Tea and cake) are getting quite out of hand.
    Does that mean you're getting fat??
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Kevster

Just got back from Kiran and Rachels, stuffed full with great food yet again.... lucky i didn't take any cake, how would there have been room?????

Kevster

Oh yes and the point of going over to Rachel and Kirans was that we were putting a few things together for the Hope Pastures open day on May 20th:

http://www.hopepastures.org

There's going to be a stall from Leeds veggies and vegans and we're going to be raising money for the sanctuary by selling vegan savouries and cakes! We're also going to be doing a raffle.

From now on, cake is a strict entry requirement. No cake = No entry = No pakoras. However, in special circumstances, offers of chocolate may be considered, especially Monty's orange dark chocolate, mmmm...

Hope Pastures Open Day, Leeds 20/May/2007
    10:30am - 3:00pm
    Hope Pastures Horse and Donkey Sanctuary

Open Day

Featuring food stall by Leeds Veggies and Vegans
    Kids Entertainment
    Stalls and Workshops
    Raffle
    More details from www.hopepastures.org

Kevster

Added attractions... Kiran and my good self....

Quote Kevster View Post
    Added attractions... Kiran and my good self....
    Hope they're well practised in crowd control then!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Kevster

Delightful day, delightful. Forum meetup extravaganza, with myself, the prince of pakoras... Kiran, EmmaPresley and the cake princess RachelJune.

Of course i stuffed my face with allsorts of goodies today including cake too numerous to mention... chocolate... mango... ginger... lemon....

Kiran was looking particularly radiant after his holiday....

that mango cake was reeeeally nice!!

i lost my keys (boo!) so we sat on the door step and scoffed it up until our nice neighbour came home.

(the keys,weirdly, were in the house on the key hook?! - and therefore not lost at all. ha.)

was completely lovely to meet the three of you
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles