Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Leeds

Kevster

Default Leeds vegan events

'Cruelty-Free Fayre, Sunday 14th August 2005,
    12 noon - 5pm
    at Ravenscar Old Cricket Field (Behind the village hall)

Vegan cafe and bbq / craft stalls / campaign area / live music /
    free veggie food samples / amazing raffle / and childrens activities.

Stalls / pitches available to rent £10
    Phone Karen on 01723 870366 for more info.'

Ravenscar is by Robin Hoods bay, inbetween Scarborough and Whitby.

Default Re: Cruelty Free Fayre near Scarborough

Yeah!!! That is gonna be great!!

I am going to be representing PeTA there!!! So watch out from me at the PeTA stall.

Kevster

Default Vegan Leeds

Feeling the after effects of a night out with Cloudy in Leeds. Met up for a few beers, and then i tagged along for a birthday do. Food was eaten at Little Tokyo, and i had the veggie curry, very good it was, and plentiful. Then onto the Elbow rooms for more beer....
    Last edited by flutterby; May 13th, 2007 at 10:55 PM. Reason: thread made with posts from the Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (outside London) thread

VeganJohn

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

I had my graduation ceremony in Leeds on Thursday and my parents and I ate at Hansa's vegetarian restaurant on North Street, Leeds. I had been several times, but this time the food was the best I have had there. I had a set meal, which was fabulous. The poori bread was fresh and delicious and the other mini courses were really nice, it is all served at once on a metal plate. I had a mango pudding, which I had never had there before and it was gorgeous.

The majority of the menu is vegan, so there is always a great choice, plus the atmosphere and service is very relaxed and friendly.

All in all an excellent meal after a very satisfying day!

VeganJohn

Quote Kevster
    Feeling the after effects of a night out with Cloudy in Leeds. Met up for a few beers, and then i tagged along for a birthday do. Food was eaten at Little Tokyo, and i had the veggie curry, very good it was, and plentiful. Then onto the Elbow rooms for more beer....
    I have eaten at Little Tokyo a few times and think the food is excellent, however I had to make sure that there were no fish flakes included in one of my dishes, as even though the dish was labelled vegan on the menu, it still stated that it had fish flakes in it?!?!?

The sister restaurant Dine China is also excellent, but my 'vegan' food was served with egg fried rice and prawn crackers the last time I was there

I have just joined a veggie group in the North East, so hope to go out for meals around Newcastle in the future!

Is anyone from the Forum going to this one?? It is just 2 weeks from now.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Quote kiran_2k
    Is anyone from the Forum going to this one?? It is just 2 weeks from now.
    Looking forward to going. I'll try to get the Anti Thomas Cook leaflets.
    See you soon, Charlotte
    "LESS IS MORE, STAY PURE STAY POOR"

Doh - I used to live in Scarborough (was an omni, then, though).
    Just too far away, now, though

Hope it goes well

Question Re: Cruelty Free Fayre near Scarborough

Okay.... this thread has just wierded me out a bit on account of it's quite spooky timing....

I live in London but am coming up to Yorkshire this weekend to visit my Granny, who lives in Robin Hoods Bay and has organised a family reunion at the Ravenscar hotel this Sunday. At least, I think that's what it's called....its a big old stone place on a clifftop! I've been there once before.... built a snowman, lots of years ago! Anyway, point is, 20 years after I became a vegetarian she still asks me what I eat, and now I've become a vegan I have been wondering how to handle this one. It's her special day and she is taking us there as a treat so I don't want to spoil it making a fuss about food, and I think it's important to her that we all enjoy a good meal together. I'm guessing that there isn't going to be anything vegan at all on the menu, but maybe anybody local might know better? I did think about phoning up in advance to explain and see if they could accommodate me, then I thought maybe that was a bit extreme (?!?). Then I thought maybe I should just swallow my new found principles and have scampi and chips like I always used to, just this once. Guess I've never met any vegetarians in Yorkshire before... it's all lamb and yorkshire puds in my family, so it's quite refreshing to here you guys chatting! Any advice greatly appreciated!

P.S. Unfortunately will be home again by the time your fair happens, but hope it goes well anyhow

It can't hurt to phone up and ask if they can offer a vegan option - worst that will happen is that they say no. That leaves you no worse off.

Me and my friend went to Spice O Mania in leeds today. It is very close to the train station, and pretty good. It is not too spicy and they have a large amount of vegan/vegetarian options. It is a 3-course buffet and really good. We went late in the afternoon, when the buffet was priced at 6.50 quid. Nice price for a good buffet. And the ambience is good as well.

VeganJohn

I never found that one in Leeds! Do they label the vegan options? I sometimes pop down to Leeds, so it will be another place on my list! How does it compare with Hansa's?

Kevster

Soooooooooo popped along to the Ravenscar bash, had a very pleasant time. Kiran2K and Anti flag (named after some punky 'music' band i think) were there from this forum, doing SOME Peta stuff, and helping out on the cake and vegan info stall. I reckon i ate about five cakes today and feel thoroughly stuffed. I won't go into details tho, i also had some vegan pizza and bbq burger too. Very nice. It did seem to rain a little on and off and Kiran and Charlotte were a little on the chilly side so it seemed, i was there bracing the cold weather in my shorts, and other multiple layers of clothing (including my Bristol vegan fayre t-shirt Gert ). Also managed a nice little stroll down to the cliffs, very beautiful up there.

There were a few different stalls dotted about, funnily enough the farmers or other local people moved the signs to the fayre, it not being the friendliest of places for people opposed to the animal industry. Kiran also finally decided to try and take some pictures of us all, after going on about it all day, so he could post them on the forum a la Sheffield. However, i think he was unsuccessful.....

Phoned the hotel (thanks for the nudge) and got a rather good spread in the end, lots of fruit salad and various veg and this squash thing and apple sauce and mint sauce and stuff, although they did make me a pepper tart after I told them especially that peppers make me ill. Still, they did really try. It was a carvery though with big legs on spits and so on, and I wasn't too sure about the photos of horses and hounds on the walls.... I know what you mean about it not being the kind of place that understands about not supporting the animal industry. Still, the walk along the cliffs is fantastic as you say, although I noticed something I'm not sure I've ever looked at in quite that way before (this is the first time I've been up since becoming vegan), and that's just how much of the landscape has been hijacked by sheep and cows. Almost everything you can see there to call countryside...what I've always taken to be how the landscape just is....would be completely different if nobody ate meat. And I think people have a lot invested in that landscape. Emotionally I mean. It's what they know to call home. Just struck me that's all. Why they don't want to know. Because it just threatens EVERYTHING.

Had another big shock in the evening when there was only salad at my Granny's cold buffet that I could eat, so afterwards slipped out for a walk to the chippie, only to be told by the chip man that they fry their chips in beef dripping. I've been eating them for years and never knew. They don't do that down south. My dad said of course they do, and he's known I've been vegetarian for 20 years and never thought to tell me. Thought it was quite funny that I was bothered. Felt very like, you know, they tolerate me but just think I'm a bit wierd. They have no respect at all for my choices and no understanding of why I made them. Is this my failure to communicate or am I just on an uphill journey up North?

Anyway, that day I understood what people mean when they say vegans must be hungry all the time. That was the first time I've been really hungry since I became a vegan, and if you take the meat and dairy out of the standard British diet there really isn't much left. Still, I learnt a lesson in planning, and will be taking more of my own food next time!

We all seemed pretty optimistic when we left from Leeds together. We hoped to have a nice warm setting in Ravenscar. We infact checked the forecast, and it looked pretty fine. But it was horrible up there. I mean powerful winds, rain, cold etc. I was not prepared for this. I just went in my white T-Shirt that said "love animals - don't eat them". Almost died of cold. Kevin (AKA kevster) somehow had the 6th sense and was geared up to combat the cold ( I HATE HIM ).

Me and Charlotte (AKA Anti-Flag), were supposed to do a PeTA stall and went armed with two heavy crates of leaflets. I had to abort the mission with the onslaught of a heavy downpour and wind. We packed up our stuff from the PeTA stall in less than 1 hour of un-packing them. We then decided to give the Leeds Vegan Society a hand at their stall.

As Kev said, the food was good. Me and Kev went for a walk near the cliffs overlooking the sea. It is amazing up there, and we had a nice long walk.

No pics guys .. Kev screwed it up... He would not show his face to the camera after I threatened to post them on the forums. I think he is too shy. Or maybe he does not want to be overwhelmed with PMs from vegan girls from the forum. And my beloved digital camera is not waterproof to withstand the rain... So I never took it out.

The food is good. But I feel that Hansas is still better. Hansas might prove to be expensive. But with Spice Mania, it is cheap and you get a buffet. Yummy starters and main course, with fruits for dessert. It is just opposite to the train station. When you walk out of the main entrance, you will find "flares" night club. It is just opposite to flares. Can't miss it.

Good day apart from the onslaught of the British weather, good ol' UK Anyway, i was upset that we couldn't do the very job we went there to do, but good humour, music and the passion of the singing woman at the end (Changed the lyrics to a well known Tracy Chapman song to include animal right lyrics) made it a thouroughly enjoyable day. And the Vegan menu was yummy! Poor Phillipa had to drive us all the way back afterwards, destined to be falling asleep, after a tiring day.
    "LESS IS MORE, STAY PURE STAY POOR"

friendly fri

Talking Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

hey up lads and girls!! its me, just to say i too have been to spice mania in middle of leeds, in fact it also sells meat and chicken etc,,i do feel much of the food is probably vegan, delicious and half the price of hansas which is a pure veg gujarati joint where the staff actively dislike you dining alone,,as for spice mania i cant be bothered asking whats vegan, i use my intuition and enjoy...regards to yawl...

Kevster

Just visited Kiran and the Leeds veggie and vegan group in Chapel Allerton, Leeds. There was an arty farty festival, but with many different groups there, and plenty of food stalls too. Including the Leeds vegan cake stall, i managed a couple in the name of supporting the group. I also managed a piece of cake at Love Organic (Animals Love Organic!?) alongside a cup of tea, they offered Kiran, (by now a very regular customer) free coffee, and i had to force him to take it! Especially as i was paying.

Kevster

The new edition of the Leeds vegan and veggie newsletter is out now, 'A Taste of Leeds' can be found in Beanos and Out of This World in Leeds and the wholefood shop in Headingley.

Lots of really good stuff packed in there.

Quote Kevster
    Just visited Kiran and the Leeds veggie and vegan group in Chapel Allerton, Leeds. There was an arty farty festival, but with many different groups there, and plenty of food stalls too. Including the Leeds vegan cake stall, i managed a couple in the name of supporting the group.
    yeah.. Nice warm day at Leeds and pretty busy at our stall, which had to be manned by 5 people to keep up. Huge crowds. As usual we were also selling vegan cakes, and Kev never misses such events especially if we are having cakes. We call Kev the official Cake taster for the leeds vegan society.

Well.. to be honest I too managed to grab some cakes and I have a feeling I have had too many. Not good for my abs which are already showing some signs of weight gain.. It is more ab repetitions for me at the gym tomorrow.

Quote kevster
    I also managed a piece of cake at Love Organic (Animals Love Organic!?) alongside a cup of tea, they offered Kiran, (by now a very regular customer) free coffee, and i had to force him to take it! Especially as i was paying.
    Kev.. I don't understand this concept. They refused to take money no matter how much I insisted, and I had the cup of coffee for free. Then how would it be possible that you paid for it??? So you only paid for your tea, not my coffee!!! Smart lad.

There is this another good restaurant in Leeds. It is called Akbar's. They have an amazing setting inside with dim lighting and marvelous ceilings. The interiors are egyptian theme based.

They have lot of vegan options, although they cater for carnivores too. The vegan options are listed under vegetarian and all the ingredients are stated clearly. So it is easy to make out. I really enjoyed it. It is on the Headrow, very close to New Brigatte.

Kevster

Off to Saltaire for their Organic fayre today, went really well, this time i did overdo the cake thing. I'm not feeling too good. The organic stuff was split between two venues and firstly i was up in the church rooms perusing the offerings and eventually capitulating to some Montezumas chilli chocolate and some of their really dark chocolate, pretty good stuff. £1.89 a bar and competitive with Green & Craps.
    Soooo mosied on past the organic meat stall and onto the organic and fair trade coffee stall don't drink the stuff myself but brought some home for people in my house.

Then onto the other organic fayre with different locally grown organic produce, all looked pretty amazing. The Bradford animal rights group had a stall and next to them were Leeds Veggies and vegans, we missed a trick without the vegan organic trust leaflets, but will have to get hold of some in the near futue just for that type of event.

Kiran was about, (sans camera) and he bought me cups of tea while i piled the cake down, a good effort was made. By the way the organiser took to calling me Vegan boy, obviously in regard to my boyish good looks, he was a cheerful pleasant chap and passionate about organics (as he stuffed my bag full of produce), i didn't have the heart to correct him, vegan MAN. Tsk tsk. It was good to go to such a local community event.

Default Re: Leeds vegan events

Sounds like you had a great day Vegan boy! What was the chilli chocolate like? I had garlic chocolate once and it was pretty awful!

Kevster

Chilli chocolate is actually pretty good (Montezumas is better than Plamil in my opinion), i try and eat cake for everyone here on the forum that doesn't get to make it. So it's a tough job.

Yeah.......but it's understandable though. You don't want anyone to feel left out. Cheers! You're so thoughtful

Kevster

I shall be thoughtful again at the London vegan fayre.

Oh please do!

Kevster

Dare say Kiran may take his camera to the London vegan fayre, in which case i can demonstrate the proper way to eat cake.

HAHAHAAAAAA! Would LOVE to see that!!

Do you want a shovel?

Quote Kevster
    Dare say Kiran may take his camera to the London vegan fayre, in which case i can demonstrate the proper way to eat cake.
    I will be glad to acknowledge!!

Kevster

So popped round to Kiran's with a few people from the Leeds vegan group. Kiran cooked us lots of really good Indian food, at just the right level of spice to suit all tastes, i could have gone hotter.... anyhow really good, i'll be back there for food next week. I offered to wash up of course, but was almost thrown out of the kitchen for my enthusiasm at popping on those yellow rubber gloves, i did offer.... btw guess what posters Kiran has on his walls in the lounge? Kev buys a pint or piece of cake for the winner.

Afterwards the game of veganopoly came out and was played with some enthusiasm, it's not bad, lacks the cut throat action of monopoly, but all the same pretty good fun, and the company was good too.

For your information I've arranged to meet Kiran at the London vegan fayre by the SNGP cake stall somewhere between 10 and 12....

Quote Kevster
    So popped round to Kiran's with a few people from the Leeds vegan group. Kiran cooked us lots of really good Indian food, at just the right level of spice to suit all tastes
    Thanks man. Glad that you guys liked it.

Quote Kevster
    i'll be back there for food next week.
    er... you will?

I offered to wash up of course, but was almost thrown out of the kitchen for my enthusiasm at popping on those yellow rubber gloves,
    bet you did get thrown out.

i did offer.... btw guess what posters Kiran has on his walls in the lounge? Kev buys a pint or piece of cake for the winner.
    Oh now that is a good contest!!

Kev, I din't show you what posters I have in my bedroom You need to guess that.

Afterwards the game of veganopoly came out and was played with some enthusiasm, it's not bad, lacks the cut throat action of monopoly, but all the same pretty good fun, and the company was good too.
    Yeah it was good. Although we turned out to be losers. Ours was an all male team with me, Kev and Frank and other teams were taking us for a ride

For your information I've arranged to meet Kiran at the London vegan fayre by the SNGP cake stall somewhere between 10 and 12....
    Roger that!! Oh.... I will be there with my camera. You were supposed to demonstrate the art of eating cake. Were'nt you?

Kevster

Been in training, chocolate cake this morning and carrot cake this afternoon.

As for the game of veganopoly Kiran landed us in the slaughterhouse twice in the beginning and we never really recovered from that experience.

My friend, remember you first landed us in the slaughter house, in "twist of fate". I had to rescue you from there. You are not a lucky hand - trust me.

I thought I will announce another competetion. The first one of course, was announced by Kevster to guess what posters are on my wall.

The following picture was taken yesterday at my place, when we were playing Veganopoly. One of these 3 young men is "Kevster" as we know him.

The first one to identify, Kevin in the picture will get treated appropriately.

P.S- Catmogg, before you get all excited, let me tell you that the competetion is not open to you. I can't afford the demands you make.

For the rest of you... Here goes....

Kevster

He's having a laugh, none of them are me.

Ok Ok... I will tell who Kevster is. The gentleman in the middle (in the black) is Kevster.

On the far right (in grey) is Patrick, one of the active members of the Leeds Vegan society.

On the far left in blue T-Shirt is John. He is a bit dodgy, I would never had a party in my house if I knew he would invite himself. A major pain and a spoil-sport.. Uhhh!!! Let me not talk more about him.. I will get headaches.!! I just can't stand him.

Kevster.. bet its Arnie on the posters??? Now, about that cake...
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Quote catmogg
    Kevster.. bet its Arnie on the posters??? Now, about that cake...
    man she nailed it.. You should not have allowed her to compete. I always talk about arnie with her. You owe her a cake now. Man you are gonna go broke buying those chocolates and cakes for her.

Kevster

Events and Leeds vegan stuff:

http://www.leedsveg.co.uk/index.htm

Kevster

Went out with the Leeds bunch for a five course meal at the Thomas Danby college, they've created a vegan menu and were trying it out on us. It sounds like it is going to be a fairly regular event as they perfect the menu, of course i'll be helping with this perfecting by eating what they make. Very good meal, a little more fancy than i'd usually like but very good.

I was impressed that the local college got in touch with the Leeds vegans and veggies in regard to this, showing an interest in vegan cooking, there was also a talk about being vegan and a showing of Animal Aid's 'Eat This', i can highly recommend this DVD.
    Well worth watching and showing.

I have a silly question. I am applying to the University of Leeds for the fall, and I am wondering how vegan friendly the city is. I am from Toronto, where I am fortunate to get many things Vegan, however, I have never been to Leeds, so I can't compare.
    How easy is it to grocery shop? Are there readily available organic products? Any good restaurants that I should check out.

(Ok, this is rather early since I am still in the application process, but heres hoping)
    No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood

Kevster

Leeds isn't too bad, we have an Indian vegetarian restaurant (Hansa's), Little Tokyo, a very good Japanese food place that does vegan food. And other places dotted about when you know about them. There's a vegetarian wholefood co-op that does loads of organic stuff, and fresh baked produce, and the Green Action food co-op at Leeds Uni that is vegan (i think) but orders in and sells at wholefood prices, and gets organic vegboxes. Leeds could be better, but doesn't do too bad.

Kevster

''Leeds Animal Rights' are holding a film night on Monday 12th December at 'The Common Place' social centre, Wharfe Street, Leeds. (www.thecommonplace.org.uk)
    Films to be shown include undercover footage from inside Covance Laboratories primate lab; 'Truth or Dairy' an expose of the dairy industry; and with fur 'back in fashion' we will also be showing an anti-fur film.
    Doors open at 6pm with the films starting at 6.30pm. Refreshments and light snacks will be available on the night. Entry by donation.'

Quote Kev
    Chilli chocolate is actually pretty good (Montezumas is better than Plamil in my opinion),
    Oh, Montezumas. Now we're talking. Mmmmm.....

Quote Lagamorph
    I am from Toronto, where I am fortunate to get many things Vegan, however, I have never been to Leeds, so I can't compare.
    You can't really compare Toronto with Leeds (!), but it's not bad for the UK.

I always meant to go to Hansa's and never made it. Is it good?

VeganJohn

Went to an excellent Asian restaurant in Leeds yesterday evening called Tampopo. Several vegan dishes were available and the food was fantastic. I preferred this place to Dine China and Little Tokyo and there was no confusion as to what 'vegan' means, unlike in these other two establishments.

http://www.tampopo.co.uk/leeds.htm#

They also have branches in other parts of the country.

I went to Gujuratis in Leeds last night which is a vegggie/vegan curry house. It was so exciting to see practically everything on the menu was vegan and it was a rare treat to go to a restaraunt and actually try something new, rather than resigning yourself to the predictable favourites. The only problem was, despite the menu stating that the 'all inclusive' thali i ordered was vegan, not everything i got served was vegan! The waitress obviously didn't quite understand (language barrier) and served me the vegetarian option. I didn't make a fuss cos she was really nice and it felt really awkward and i knew i couldn't eat it all anyway... (Don't tell me, i know i should have....Yes yes, i need to take an assertiveness course.. ) I missed out on the pudding.... and i luuuuuuuuuuuuurv pudding. I'd go so far as to say that pudding is probably the bit i most look forward to. I mean savoury is great but sweet is, well, sweet.

But anyway, if you decide to go and i do recommend it, just state very clearly in bold that you want the vegan option. Or prepare to skip dessert.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

VeganJohn

Where exactly is Gujuratis in Leeds? Might have to check it out the next time I visit Leeds.

Quote VeganJohn
    Where exactly is Gujuratis in Leeds? Might have to check it out the next time I visit Leeds.
    Sorry but I dont know!!! I jus got taken there in a car!! It wasnt central but it didnt seem too far out, either!! The woman who runs it has even written a book!!

- Byron