Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Leeds

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

Hmm I think Catmogg probably means "Hansas" in Leeds, it's just Gujarati cuisine they do there
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Yes she does. Oopsy. My mate confused me cos he kept calling it Gujurati's. Sorrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Kevster

At last we get to the bottom of the matter.

www.hansasrestaurant.com

And i told Cloudy off for doubting me....
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Kevster

On the spur of the moment, asked the 'only vegan in Barnsley' up to Leeds, as i was heading out with an old friend who i hadn't seen for a year and some of his pals. First stop was the excellent Angel Inn for vegan Ale, i could spend a day in that place... Sam Smiths are now doing their own brand orange, vegan labelled and fair trade (not that i went anywhere near that). It was then onto Wetherspoons for some less decent beers and tales from the RAF, the RAF having not mellowed my Uni mate any, in fact the opposite...

Then a search through Leeds for an Indian restaurant, really very busy, so Akhbars was off the list, so it was into Shebab. They sell Carlsberg (+), though their onion bhajis contain egg (--) couldn't believe it, in my shock i may have utterred something rude.... so anyway, got a vegetable biriyani, not my usual choice but i was hungry and wanted something fairly substantial. It was OK but nothing special.

By the way, the bit about the story with two of us in the Leeds Uni talking about women being the root of all evil is true. However, one must understand the context. We had been philosophising about a book (Freefall) we'd both just read and comparing it with our (limited of course) experience of women at the time. We've learned a lot since then, and would not (usually) utter such words.

VeganJohn

Quote Cloudy
    Hmm I think Catmogg probably means "Hansas" in Leeds, it's just Gujarati cuisine they do there
    Oh, Hansas!! I have been there several times, fantastic place. I have the cookbook, athough I have not yet tried any of the recipes.

The majority of the menu is vegan and the food is fantastic. Not sure whether the Cobra ale is vegan ?

Quote Kevster
    On the spur of the moment, asked the 'only vegan in Barnsley' up to Leeds,
    Tis so sad but so true!!!!! LOL. Or they are all shy!!!!!

My chickpea masala from Shebab was gorgeous!!! Although doesn't feel so good on the old tum after dashing to the train station due to my complete lack of time keeping skills LOL

Quote Cloudy
    Hmm I think Catmogg probably means "Hansas"
    I always assumed that catmogg was a made up name.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble

*groan*

Quote Mr Flibble
    Thats as good a definition as any other!! Lol.

- Byron

Kevster

I just went for brunch at The Common Place (thecommonplace.org.uk) in Leeds, great food, beans, mushrooms, two pieces of toast, sosmix sausages, tomato's, homemade ketchup, folowed by two pieces of chocolate cake and two cups of Rooibos tea over the course of my eating experience, some two and a half hours i might add, i didn't just scoff it.

Kevster

OK i went out for food AGAIN. This time to the Grove cafe, Cardigan road, Leeds for someones birthday. They label their vegan stuff on the menu, and do curries and pizza! So i had the vegan pizza, delicious! And a vegetable platter to start, which consisted of mixed bhajis and samosas.

Well worth a visit.

Quote Kevster
    OK i went out for food AGAIN.
    Kev all this eating out!! You'll be getting a belly on ya lad!!! LOL

Maybe you shouldn't have the choccy cake on Saturday- i'll have your slice

Kevster

Default Re: Leeds vegan events

Not quite a Leeds vegan event, ha ha, but Littlemissvegan made it up to Leeds for some shopping, after the evidence from her purchasing spree i am not entirely convinced she should be let out to shop without the accompaniment of a sensible adult.... i arrived a little too late... Indeed, i think that when we finally did meet from amongst a swathe of Goth people about 45 minutes after we'd arranged, me with cake already in hand, i think that Littlemiss had a bit of a strop on, AS DID I. Our meeting arrangements weren't thorough enough, tsk.

Still after some chocolate cake of which i am happy to convey Missvegan only managed half, and a few Vodka and oranges.... and ales for me, relations thawed adequately to converse in a reasonable manner.

I was then off to York, look at the vegan friendly restaurants section to follow my adventures there.....

Me and Kevster dropped by the Common place in Leeds today for their Sunday brunch. The sumptuous vegan brunch is such a great treat for a Sunday afternoon. At 3 quid, it is inexpensive and comes with big servings. I was overwhelmed with the quantity and felt stuffed. The finishing touch was with a cuppa of soy latte.

Soon after, we decided to sample one of their mouthwatering cakes. We, went for the chocolate/lemon hybrid cake and gobbled it up to go back for a second shot after motivating each other.

Great brunch. Will go back next Sunday.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Kevster

Yeah, sure was good food. I have to say though, i intended to pay for this meal, but unfortunately they couldn't change a 20. This isn't the first or second time this sort of thing has happened when being out with Kiran, perhaps next time i'll get to lighten my wallet a little. (no one else had better be planning a trip to Leeds next week-end!)

Kevster

Veggie Fayre

Date: 21/05/2006
    Time: 12:00 to 17:00

On Sunday the 21st May, prior to vegetarian week, the
    Leeds vegetarian and vegan society are holding a small
    veggie fayre at The Common Place between 12 and 5,
    come along to check out delicious food, live music,
    recipes, local stalls, a free shop and whatever else
    we can organise. If you'd like more info please
    e-mail: Leedsveggies@yahoo.co.uk

Info about The Common Place can also be found here:
    www.thecommonplace.org.uk

Quote Kevster
    Not quite a Leeds vegan event, ha ha, but Littlemissvegan made it up to Leeds for some shopping, after the evidence from her purchasing spree i am not entirely convinced she should be let out to shop without the accompaniment of a sensible adult.... i arrived a little too late... Indeed, i think that when we finally did meet from amongst a swathe of Goth people about 45 minutes after we'd arranged, me with cake already in hand, i think that Littlemiss had a bit of a strop on, AS DID I. Our meeting arrangements weren't thorough enough, tsk.

Still after some chocolate cake of which i am happy to convey Missvegan only managed half, and a few Vodka and oranges.... and ales for me, relations thawed adequately to converse in a reasonable manner.

I was then off to York, look at the vegan friendly restaurants section to follow my adventures there.....
    Kev I have just noticed this little post!!! We have discussed the embarrasing cake incident- I am a lady therefore felt unable to scoff myself in your company- this will not happen again!!! LOL

And I blame you for us running late- I was there from 1 talking to the complete stranger at the side of me that had also been stood up

And as for my shopping spree- Did you not enjoy my A-Team DVD and playing with my cute little talking keyring- I THINK SO!!!

So there you crazy fool. He he
    "Eating responsibly at McDonald's is like going to a strip club for iced tea."

Kevster

I feel obliged to clarify a couple of points

Quote LittleMissVegan
    We have discussed the embarrasing cake incident
    Yes it was.

Quote LittleMissVegan
    And I blame you for us running late- I was there from 1
    I was there at five to one, there just happened to be a lot of people around, if LMV had been wearing brightly coloured clothing she would have been easy to spot amongst all the darkly dressed hangabouts.

Quote LittleMissVegan
    And as for my shopping spree- Did you not enjoy my A-Team DVD and playing with my cute little talking keyring- I THINK SO!!!
    Yes i cannot deny this, the Stewie keyring (£9.99 *cough*), and The A-Team (they're still really good) DVDs were both pretty good.

Quote LittleMissVegan
    So there
    I stand partly corrected.

Quote Kevster
    Stewie keyring (£9.99 *cough)
    Are you serious?? Is it made of gold?

Quote Kiran
    Are you serious?? Is it made of gold?
    Purleease a keyring that says-

Damn You Vile Woman, Who the hell do you think you are? Stop mocking me! You shall rue this day. Well go on, start ruing! I come bearing a gift. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster..., Put me through to the Pentagon!

is well worth a tenner- Phrases that you can use in everyday life when you are just too lazy to speak!!!

It gave me a full 10 minutes of fun on the town hall steps did that!! LOL

I'm gonna have to invest in the Mr T one soon.........................

Quote LittleMissVegan
    Damn You Vile Woman, Who the hell do you think you are? Stop mocking me! You shall rue this day. Well go on, start ruing! I come bearing a gift. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster..., Put me through to the Pentagon!
    WOW!!! is that what it said??

You are right.. those words are worth a tenner!! You should have bought more of those. It is an asset.

Yep and Mr T says-

'I pity the fool'.

'Don't gimme no back talk, sucka'.

'Quit your jibba jabba'.

'Don't make me mad (growl)'.

'First name mister, middle name period, last name T'.

'Shut up, fool'.

I would never have to trouble my vocal chords again with those!!

Brilliant words.. I am getting goosebumps. They are priceless.

Quote Kevster
    I was there at five to one, there just happened to be a lot of people around, if LMV had been wearing brightly coloured clothing she would have been easy to spot amongst all the darkly dressed hangabouts.
    Or if you joined the rest of us and got a mobile phone
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Kevster

Quote Kiran
    Brilliant words.. I am getting goosebumps. They are priceless.
    Kiran, you've been spending too much time with me.

As for you Cloudy, stop being sensible.

Quote Cloudy
    Or if you joined the rest of us and got a mobile phone
    Well said... Kev does not believe in mobile phone technology. He prefers using smoke signals!

Kev Lad.. if you need a free mobile phone, my proposition is still open to you.

Kevster

Right before all that stuff kicked off, i had added a Leeds vegan event, so here it is again (i hope i have drawn a line under the preceding posts.....)

Veggie Fayre

Date: 21/05/2006
    Time: 12:00 to 17:00

On Sunday the 21st May, prior to vegetarian week, the
    Leeds vegetarian and vegan society are holding a small
    veggie fayre at The Common Place between 12 and 5,
    come along to check out delicious food, live music,
    recipes, local stalls, a free shop and whatever else
    we can organise. If you'd like more info please
    e-mail: Leedsveggies@yahoo.co.uk

Info about The Common Place can also be found here:
    www.thecommonplace.org.uk

Kevster

Well, went out for a candlelit dinner this evening, not with any fine laydeez, but went to The Grove Cafe (of vegan pizza fame) in Leeds with Kiran. In case i still had room after the main course i shared a mixed platter bhaji starter, it was most delicious, then moved onto the 12" pizza, very good, no olives (because they're yuck) vegan cheese, courgette, spinach, mushroom, tomato, jalapenos. It was lovely stuffed it all in.

Kiran on the otherhand was struggling, i had finished and he was begging for mercy over the last quarter pizza. In fact trying to get me to eat it. I refused having eaten quite enough, i then disappeared to the restroom and upon my return all the plates were gone, and Kiran was insisting that he ate it all, i have my doubts.

The candle light dinner was Kev's idea, but strangely enough we enjoyed it. The place was quite busy, maybe because it was Friday. It was nice to catch up with Kevster and discuss a few issues including the forum and some wierd people infesting it.

Yeah.. as Kev said, the 12" pizza was too big for me. I tried really hard and needed a break through 3/4 ths of the pizza. Then struggled real hard to finish it off. A nice dinner overall and the long walk home helped the digestion.

feral

Does sound like a romantic night boys, I'm jealous

Quote Kiran
    catch up with Kevster and discuss a few issues including the forum and some wierd people infesting it.
    Did you talk about me then?
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

veggiesosage

Their eyes met over a candlelit tofuburger...

But it's weird people infestations that make this forum so great!

Kevster

Just three weeks away (and a day) if anyone in the vicinity is up for popping in.

VeganJohn

I might actually be up for that!! I met up with Leeds vegans and veggies when I was a student in Leeds and they were very decent people.

Leeds is a cracking place too, i need to get some vegetarian shoes and the only place I know of in the North is Out of Step.

Kevster

There are going to be raffle tickets on sale. First prize is an opportunity for the laydeez to take me out to dinner. Second prize is an all expenses paid dinner with Kiran.... Ticket sales have already been progressing well, with one person calling herself Kat Slater, (i'm sure no relation) buying £50 worth.

Quote Kevster
    Second prize is an all expenses paid dinner with Kiran.
    What?????

Kevster

Am now at Kiran's for dinner, mmmmmmmm, the Indian food smells delicious, he's cooking onion and potato bhajis, mixed veg curry, palak dahl, dahl vada and rice and naan.

Reckon it's going to be ammmmmaaaazzzzzzinggggg, wish you were here.

Kevster

It was really good, and chocolate pudding for afters, not quite sure how i cycled home.

Ok so if this is a mapof Leeds http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...le=5000&icon=x

.....and the ringed circle is the common place... which way is the train station?? Up, down, left or right???

Quote Kevster
    It was really good, and chocolate pudding for afters, not quite sure how i cycled home.
    Mmmm, chocolate pudding - I am jealous!!! Gonna have to make the steamed choccy pudding with a whole bar of Maya Gold in the middle of it again soon now!!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Kevster

Now there's no need for that, i dunno, people go on the forum and try and make other people jealous about what they're eating.

Anyhow, just popped on to say there's an open day at Hope Pastures horse and pony sanctuary in Leeds, last year was fab, and this year will hopefully be good too, i'll be donning my frilly apron and baking some cakes, and also distributing flyers for the Leeds vegan fayre

May 14th: Hope pastures Open day. 10.30am – 3pm. Lots of stalls and games, tombolas, refreshments and much more. Entrance 50p, children free

www.hopepastures.org

Kevster

Quote LittleMissVegan
    .....and the ringed circle is the common place... which way is the train station?? Up, down, left or right???
    Zoom out twice, and you'll find a pink blob to the left of the red circly thing. That pink blob is the station.

Quote Kevster
    Now there's no need for that, i dunno, people go on the forum and try and make other people jealous about what they're eating.
    I'm 'only' mentioning the delicious pudding......some people actually post pictures of chocolatey puddings.....now THAT is a bridge too far!!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Quote Kevster
    Zoom out twice, and you'll find a pink blob to the left of the red circly thing. That pink blob is the station.
    Tar muchly!!!

Quote Kevster
    Am now at Kiran's for dinner, mmmmmmmm, the Indian food smells delicious, he's cooking onion and potato bhajis, mixed veg curry, palak dahl, dahl vada and rice and naan.

Reckon it's going to be ammmmmaaaazzzzzzinggggg, wish you were here.
    Stop it, stop it, stop.

*jealous*

Default may 21st

oooh i want to gooo! i've been meaning to check out the common place for a while
    thanks for posting that

Quote Kiran
    Is that English? Nothing personal.. but I hate British slangs.
    Tut

Kevster

Munched through three pieces of cake today, at the Leeds Mind, body spirit festival, i'm well on target for the Bristol vegan fayre, where i'll be shaming everyone with my appetite for sugarry goodness.