Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Leeds

Default Re: Leeds vegan events

Quote Kevster View Post
    'Peach and Pear Cafe is a new vegetarian and vegan cafe opening near Hyde Park
    Cool! Didn't know this, thanks. My mate lives on Brudenell Road. We were actually in Headingley yesterday and got vegan ice cream milkshakes from this place called "Shaky Jakes" (isn't vegan but does vegan stuff.) The shakes we went for had vanilla Swedish Glace ice cream in and a whole bar of Fry's peppermint creme choccy thrown in! Hehe, pricey at £3 a shake (you add 50p if you want it dairy free, boooo) but worth it once in a while

Shows 'em people at least want vegan stuff, which is always good.

Kevster

I didn't know that, will check 'em out.

Quote wildcatstrike View Post
    Cool! Didn't know this, thanks. My mate lives on Brudenell Road. We were actually in Headingley yesterday and got vegan ice cream milkshakes from this place called "Shaky Jakes" (isn't vegan but does vegan stuff.) The shakes we went for had vanilla Swedish Glace ice cream in and a whole bar of Fry's peppermint creme choccy thrown in! Hehe, pricey at £3 a shake (you add 50p if you want it dairy free, boooo) but worth it once in a while

Shows 'em people at least want vegan stuff, which is always good.
    Shakey Jakes has vegan milkshakes. Ooooo! I love how that place looks but haven't been in!

I'd never been in before either but would probably go back if i was in the area, the shake was awesome! I think we bamboozled them abit though.. hehe.. my mate was like "we want something vegan and exciting!!!!!" and the girl kinda went "erm....????????". Hehe, i think she was new, but they do have a lot of vegan options. Check it out

LOL poor girl! I am definately going to take a look, I always assumed it to be the full fat milk kind of place. Guess I should know better than to judge a book by its cover! Thanks for info

Cool Leeds Vegans!

So I am from a smallish town outside Leeds and have gone for far too long without knowing any other vegans! I would appreciate info as far as events etc go . . . I'm normally kinda shy so this is a biggy for me, but I am really interested in becoming active in fund raising and other such things, and feel I need to broaden my horizons slightly! If anybody has any info as goes stuff that I would be able to attend I would be forever grateful!

Thanks everyone!

...and a whole bar of Fry's peppermint creme choccy thrown in!
    I believe these bars stopped being vegan quite a while ago.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

No, they have a "may contain traces of milk" warning on them now, but are still vegan. I had a Fry's Orange Cream Shakeaway at the Bristol Vegan Fayre.

It's disappointing that this is becoming the norm - "may contain traces of milk".

Either it does - or it does not.

Either the track is clean prior to production or it's not - etc etc.

If miniscule amounts of milk are left out there somewhere and can contaminate a non-milk bar - i'm surprised they don't state "may contain traces of salmonella, listeria and other things that are nasty".

I guess that's asking too much
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Thumbs up Re: Leeds Vegans!

hiya!

you need to join the subforums..we have uk meet up sections in there and somewhere there is a whole bit JUST for leeds! there's loads of really nice people here from leeds and roundabouts. leeds veggie and vegan group people and info on what events are coming up and i'm sure they'd welcome you into their fold if you were more interested in becoming active fundraisey style or campaigning or just lurking about being friendly etc etc

also, really, thre's no need to be shy or nervous about meeting any of us because, we are very lovely!

if you join the uk meet up section bit, there's a new thread in there i made for yorkshire people..i'm hoping we can get some of us together to go for a scoff up in augut or july maybe. you'd be very welcome to come. as long as youre not a psychopath
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Default Re: Leeds Vegans!

I psychopath I am not . . . well, much anyway LOL.

Thanks for info. I have joined sub group thingy for UK meetups now am off to find the Leeds bit - wish me luck!!

I'm from just outside Leeds too, not far from you probably, small world eh! i met up with some of the Leeds veg and vegans folks earlier this year and did abit of anti-dairy stallin' with them.. you should contact them cos i'm sure they'd like to hear from you. I'd like to get a bit more active too.

if you've got a myspace page you can add me as a friend if you want (and anyone else reading this) www.myspace.com/wildcatstrike - say hello

Added you

My mate lives on Brudenell Road.
    I live about 2 streets from there - well until the end of the month I do. Just thought I would share

is that near derek's pop shop thingy place?
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

leedsveg

A suggestion for Frank re the "may contain traces of milk" labelling:

Contact the manufacurer to ask them why they put this.

Quote emmapresley View Post
    is that near derek's pop shop thingy place?
    That name rings a bell but really I have no idea!

Kevster

Went along to the Peach and Pear cafe this afternoon, and had some really good homemade carrot cake. Reckon we should arrange a Facebook/VF meet up there at some point soon...

Quote Kevster View Post
    Went along to the Peach and Pear cafe this afternoon, and had some really good homemade carrot cake. Reckon we should arrange a Facebook/VF meet up there at some point soon...
    That sounds a good plan. Count me in pretty please

Yeah, let me know if you sort something out. i'd like to check that place out.

The cakes are lush!

Kevster

New place in Todmorden:

New Veggie/Vegan Café Bar in Todmorden

Pulse

Opening Saturday 5th July with live music
    6-11pm

at 15, Water Street,
    Todmorden OL14 5AB
    Previously The Tenth Muse

Open 11am – 11pm
    Wed – Sunday

Vegetarian and Vegan world food

Daytime menu includes all-day breakfasts, bagels, paninis, soup, salads and cakes
    Evening menu changes weekly and includes starters/ snacks for £3, main meals for £7 and puddings for £3/4.
    large selection of vegetarian wines
    and beers
    Outside catering
    Special diets catered for

Tel: Jenny on 07887575172 for bookings

Kevster

For anyone venturing to York...

Kyi-po
    9 Goodramgate
    YORK
    YO1 7LW

Alternative shopping

Health foods
    Veggie food
    eco friendly household Products
    Bodycare for both men and woman

We also sell a large amount of organic and fair trade products , along with magazines, books, dvds, and much much more

There will also be free veggie guides for people to have inc leaflets and magazines.

We will also be promoting and supporting international charities and organisations such as

VIVA! Vegetarian International Voice for Animals! Vegetarian and Vegan Campaigning Charity

Animal Aid is the UK's largest animal rights group and one of the longest established in the world, having been founded in 1977.

All the products we supply are vegan and cruelty free.

http://www.kyi-po.com

That place looks wonderful. May make a trip out to visit!

Kevster

Kevster

OK, i went to the Shakeyjakes place today in Headingley, good to see the stuff labelled vegan. There was a lot of gungey shite on offer though. I had a banana milkshake that i thought was pretty good, however, won't be rushing back.

[quote=Kevster;There was a lot of gungey shite on offer though[/quote]

Totally. But then it isn't a vegan place so i would expect alot of revolting stuff (like all the dairy ice cream they do... ick!)

Kevster

Help needed for the York Green fayre...

We need help with the green festival on 31st August, there will be a York Action For Animals stall but also a VIVA! stall, both will need some more people to help out on the day.

Please e-mail: info@yafa.co.uk

i might be able to help out there.. will let you know nearer the time!

Kevster

If people are around and about we're going to have a meet up at Peach and pear cafe on Brudenell road at around midday on Saturday 26th July!!

http://www.myspace.com/peachandpearcafe

Peach and Pear, 92a Brudenell Road, in Hyde Park, Leeds

damn, i work saturdays. sundays are better for me, for future reference, but hope you lot have a good time. i must check that place out!

Ah thats annoying, would have been able to but have just arranged to have some friends stay that weekend. Have fun though! Maybe next time hey.

Hi everyone,

thanks Kevster for the wonderful post you put up for us.
    You'll be pleased tknow we have found a supplier of some vegan cakes , so if you wait a couple of weeks we should have some in for you lol

Favour to ask anyone in the York area on Saturday 26th July '08.
    There is an Animal Aid street collection on this day as well as a stall in Parliament Street by YAFA( stall to be confirmed ) . It is also the day the meat market is in the same street so leafleters/banner holders are also wanted . Contact info@yafa.co.uk if you can help.

Kyi-po website is very basic at the moment, we will be working on it in the next few months, we cant decide wether or not to pay someone to do it or do it ourselves.
    Esp as nearer christmas time once we are truly settled, we are thinking of on-line shopping and local home deliveries so the website would have to become even more technical.
    We've put up a small video showing some of the products we sell.

Also, anyone on facebook we have our own page , just type in Kyi-po.
    there is also a group called The York veggie & Vegan diners club on face book too.

sugarmouse

I am from Calverley which is a non heard of area in Leeds but I live in Lancashire now.
    Can i still join the facebook group?
    I visit Leeds fairly often

Quote sugarmouse View Post
    I am from Calverley which is a non heard of area in Leeds but I live in Lancashire now.
    Can i still join the facebook group?
    I visit Leeds fairly often

ohh go on then hehehehhe

Squilk

Hello peoples. I'm fairly new at being a vegan; I'm even newer to this site. I don't know if I'm being a total dunce but I can't find the Leeds meet-up forum. Please, somebody, help me!

hehe, i couldn't find it for a while either. i havent seen the "leeds meet up" bit yet, but to find the members subforums etc you need to click on User Control Panel (top left corner).. then look down the list of options on the left and you should see a "Group Memberships" (under networking) and that'll bring up a list of subgroup thingies you can join. To access the ones you've joined, go to the "User Groups" section which is listed amongst all the other forum titles (news, food etc) on the main page bit of this site.

Hope that makes sense.. correct me if i'm wrong

Squilk

Aha, I found it thanks to the sense you made, thanks. Although, looking at the thread I realise I had found it earlier but I didn't realise it was the thread I was looking for. It seems to have many guises in order to confuse me. Thanks again. Will.

We are organising a get together 1 evening in August , going to El Piano in York if anybody woudl like to join us, let me know.
    It will probably be a Friday or Saturday night either 8/9th or 15/16th .
    Not confirmed yet.

If you woudl like to join us , there is the York veggie group on face book I mentioned in my earlier post, join that to find out more or just let me know if you wanna come along.
    As they say - the more the merrier .

By the way Kyi-po, on the 26th July i've managed to get the day off work so will be free to join you in York for the Animal Aid street collection etc! Woo hoo

Quote Squilk View Post
    It seems to have many guises in order to confuse me.
    Ditto!!

Random but: I'm having withdrawals from Leeds bakery 164's hummus, avocado and sun dried tomato sandwich.

Quote confusionisben View Post
    Random but: I'm having withdrawals from Leeds bakery 164's hummus, avocado and sun dried tomato sandwich.
    Go buy one? Or better yet make your own!

And what is with this weather please . . .

Quote **Ames** View Post
    Go buy one?
    Will be the first thing i do once i'm back in Leeds

Summer weather, bah!

Quote confusionisben View Post
    Summer weather
    Ooo Is it summer now? Could've fooled me!

Default Re: Vegan friendly cafes, restaurants etc in Leeds

I was in Leeds for the first time ever on Sunday, having stayed in York the night before (where at a Thai restuarant I was offered chicken and beef after explaining the definition of vegan to no less than 3 members of staff. Finally I got an overpriced plate of stir fried veg and left hungry).

At first I thought it was an extremely large coincidence that I should randomly meet the only 2 people I know who live there during a meal at Hansas. Given that it was at an 'all you can eat' buffet however, I think that on reflection that the chances of Kiran being there were actually quite high

I don't quite know how many Puris I ate, but they were good
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Major big-up for the Dandelion and Burdock in Sowerby Bridge.

Just been there today, having had the bright idea of organising (and paying for) a family meet up. One vegan, 7 committed omnis who were convinced vegans live off lettuce, and a 6 month old baby.

I wasn't prepared to fund meat eating, we needed somewhere child friendly, and my dad won't eat anything spicy - or anything with garlic in it - so that limited the options immediately!

Called the Dandelion and Burdock. They told me they open at 6 pm, but we needed a table at 5 pm latest due to the baby. No problem, they would open an hour early specially for us. Baby no problem, high chair provided, everything ok there. Happy to make a dish for my dad minus the garlic, as it's all done fresh on the premises.

We arrive and the omnis cluster nervously around the table, wondering where the lettuce is hiding

The menu is short but sounds delicious. The starters are great, one traditional one and two with a more exotic spin. I had red onion soup, plus rosemary bread with a bean/garlic pate. Everyone loves their main courses - good size and a very fair price (£8.50 for my substantial Tuscan Pie with garlic mash, creamy sauce and red cabbage). Dessert has the omnis begging for more! The treacle sponge was declared "wonderful" by three people and my brother and his girlfriend said the blueberry cheesecake is the nicest cheesecake they've EVER eaten.

8 hungry adults, drinks too, and it came in at just under £108, so £13.50 per person (some had starters, some had dessert, some greedy people {me and my brothers } had both).

The service was really friendly, reasonably fast and all the omnis were both surprised and complimentary about the great food - they all started asking my OH lots of questions about veganism afterwards, and to my surprise he was able to give really good answers - what a star!

A great evening all round and I unreservedly recommend this place for a lovely meal out. Would be perfect for couples as well as families. Well done D&B!

Had lunch at a fab cafe in Leeds yesterday with OH. Peach and Pear Cafe on Brudenell Road http://www.mozron.com/ - really great place.

They do serve meat unfortunately, but also vegan food, and they understand vegan requirements (e.g. had vegan butter available and didn't bring mayonnaise out with the sauces tray because it wasn't vegan).

OH had an enormous breakfast of homemade vegan sausages (delicious - I stole a bit to test them!) and Redwoods (?) bacon, tofu scramble (which OH thought was very tasty and he's never really eaten tofu before), masses of toast, beans and tomatoes, and a big mug of tea.

I was a bit greedier and I had a hot chocolate (very yum) followed by a hot sandwich with falafel and homemade hummous, then homemade treacle sponge and homemade vegan custard.

The people who own it are so friendly and helpful. The atmosphere is laid back, and there's books/magazines/local interest leaflets and board games to one side of the door that you can use if you want. We both really enjoyed it. Recommended!

Default Re: Vegan Leeds

hi people of Leeds! off for the weekend in a few weeks for a friend's birthday and hope you can help fill in a food gap! I'm goiing with a veggie and 2 meat eaters and been left in charge of food and hoped to suit us all.....! We plan to have afternon tea at 5pm (checked they apparently cater for veggie and vegan), go to the theatre and hopefully get a bite to eat after. We then have a reservation for a buffet indian sunday lunch at the veggie place. So, I'm hoping you know of somewhere that serves later and caters for vegans? Big ask I know. I guess we could just grab a burger but knowing how difficult it is just to grab anything nowadays (!) I'd rather have plans! And my friend likes her food, as do I, so the thought of nothing after tea at 5pm would disappoint! Pizza express or wagamama's would have been fine but they close 11pm so doubt they'd want us when the show ends (1030pm iish?)? Maybe it'll be a chip shop hunt or bag of crisps for me?!

Default Re: Vegan Leeds

Well done at Dandelion & Burdock Est! Your meal sounded perfect.

Whenever we give visitors proper meals at home, they're always amazed at the flavours and the sheer variety of food and frequently over-eat. Vegans are lumbered with some kind of historical baggage which needs energy to get rid of. Fair play to D&B for helping!