Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Vegan Leeds

Not real name!

Default Any good vegan eateries in Leeds that omnis will also enjoy?

I have some family members coming to visit from 'The South' next month and I'm not sure where to take them to eat.

We (that's OH and me) don't go out much so our knowledge is limited to say the least.

Basically I need somewhere that does good Vegan food but also with plenty for the family who definitely will want meat!

They'll eat pretty much any style of cooking so maybe Hansas or Little Tokyo sort of thing. Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by Korn; Oct 11th, 2009 at 04:17 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Any good Vegan eateries in Leeds that Omnis will also enjoy?

What about Wagamama? The saien soba noodles are vegan, and there are plenty of veggie/omni options

we visited Leeds earlier this year and went here
    http://www.hansasrestaurant.com/

excellent food and all vegan meals clealry labelled. when we went it was very busy so probably worth booking if you go there.

Damn, I was going to suggest Wagamama but jimmeh got there first

Quote vw misfit View Post
    we visited Leeds earlier this year and went here
    http://www.hansasrestaurant.com/

excellent food and all vegan meals clealry labelled. when we went it was very busy so probably worth booking if you go there.
    I can very much second this recommendation.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Default Re: Vegan Leeds

I'm new to the board and a Leeds vegan... so just wanted to say hello!

I've been to Hansas numerous times, love those tasty dhals but wish they could make a soy lassi! Have tried Roots and Fruits (simple but nice) and Org Organics (lots of great salads), plus stuff from the deli counters at Out Of This World and Love Organic in Chapel Allerton. Can particularly recommend the spinach and mushroom roll from OOTW...

I shop mainly at OOTW, the Natural Food Store in Headingley and Love Organic. Still haven't managed to find tempeh or seitan though... Anyone know if/where I can get these things in Leeds?

Anyway TTFN

earthling

Not real name!

You can get Tempeh in OOTW unless I beat you to it.

Seitan on the other hand.... meh!

leedsveg

Hi earthling

If you find seitan in Leeds, can you let me know. I've been looking for it for the last 10years!

leedsveg

Not real name!

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Hi earthling

If you find seitan in Leeds, can you let me know. I've been looking for it for the last 10years!

leedsveg
    Is it even available in the UK? I've looked and looked but even sites that are supposed to have it (according to Google) don't.

What about making your own? I expect it to be a real chore though.

Chinese supermarkets and Holland and Barrett's often sell tins of "mock duck", which is made with seitan. Large wholefood stores like Whole Foods and Infinity sometimes have seitan cutlets and so on in the chill cabinet.

I did make my own once from flour, but that was enough! You can get sort of kits though from some of the vegan websites: http://www.veganstore.co.uk/mm5/merc...Category_Code=

Quote Glen Lambert View Post
    You can get Tempeh in OOTW unless I beat you to it.

Seitan on the other hand.... meh!
    Where is the tempeh in OOTW?! Was there the other day, I looked for ages and couldn't find it. I could see fake bacon made out of tempeh, but not plain tempeh.

As for seitan, well that is a shame because so many of the American cookbooks' recipes have it as an ingredient! I'll have to sub tofu for some of them. I have got a recipe for home made seitan but it involves washing flour repeatedly to get to the gluten... which doesn't sound like fun!

Not real name!

In OOTW it's where the fake bacon is. However, it's only there when there is a blue moon that follows a months of sundays. That's why I've only managed to buy some twice this year!
    Last edited by Glen Lambert; Dec 18th, 2009 at 05:45 PM.

leedsveg

The H & B stores in Leeds often have in the fake bacon + mock duck. OOTW seem to add on 10% to 'normal prices' but if you pay at H & B with a Veggie Society card (not Vegan Society card unfortunately) you get 10% off.

lv

Not real name!

There was plenty of Tempeh in OOTW today. If you go in the door by the tills there is a fridge just inside the door. It was in there (about a dozen packs) rather than further along where the Tempeh rashers are.

Although having just spent a small fortune on food I resisted buying any. Hope you find some, Earthling.

Hello, I have a question! (And it's not about tempeh this time , I still haven't managed to buy any btw!)

Anyway. Does anyone know of a good Chinese takeaway in Leeds (pref North Leeds) which does a decent amount of vegan dishes, i.e. tofu dishes, and will also not add MSG if you ask them to leave it out?

We tried one called Sakuro in Headingley but we had really bad service there, staff were unbelievably rude to us, so have decided not to go back.

Any suggestions welcome!

Hey my name is Vicky I am from Leeds....

Looking to make some new vegan mates

leedsveg

Hi VeganVicky

Welcome to the forum.

Leedsveg

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Hi VeganVicky

Welcome to the forum.

Leedsveg
    oooo nice to see fellow yorkshire people

Where abouts in Leeds?

leedsveg

Quote VeganVicky View Post
    oooo nice to see fellow yorkshire people

Where abouts in Leeds?
    Bramley, where Ernie Wise came from.

lv

I'm in Belle Isle

leedsveg

Just had a meal at Little Tokyo with Mrs Leedsveg, Kiran, RachelJune, EmmaPressley, Sophie, Atma & Cynthia and quite a few new people. Good food and excellent company. I understand there are a few spaces left for Sunday lunch at Hansa's on Nov 28th and if anyone is interested, please contact Kiran.

Leedsveg

leedsveg

Excellent meal today at the Orion in Leeds, with MrsLeedsveg, RachelJune, Sophie, Emma Pressley, Sophie and loads of others.

(One of these days you'll sit with me EP.lol)

Leedsveg

Visiting my home town of Leeds very soon, having not been there for many years. Stuggling to find a good restaurant as I'm not really a curry fan! Roots and fruits looks good for lunch, but need somewhere also for evening.
    www . purplecobwebs . co . uk
    Selling handcrafted cards & gifts to help Viva!

Quote Crafterga View Post
    Visiting my home town of Leeds very soon, having not been there for many years. Stuggling to find a good restaurant as I'm not really a curry fan! Roots and fruits looks good for lunch, but need somewhere also for evening.
    You could try Little Tokyo in the centre of town, it's an omni place but has a great selection of vegan dishes from veg sushi to stir fries and Bento boxes... and the sake is great too!
    http://veganofthenorth.wordpress.com/

leedsveg

Quote earthling View Post
    You could try Little Tokyo in the centre of town, it's an omni place but has a great selection of vegan dishes from veg sushi to stir fries and Bento boxes... and the sake is great too!
    Yes Crafterga, as earthling says, there is a good vegan selection at Little Tokyo. But if you don't fancy there, you could always try erm...erm...? Tell you what, if you do find somewhere else that is ok, please let us Leeds residents know.

Leedsveg

Not real name!

What about Hansas?

Thanks Leedsveg. OH not keen on Japanese, and me not keen on Indian. What a fussy couple of B*g*&rs we are!!!!! Hmmmm, may have to call in on Mum in York for food LOL!!!! ps my roots are in Bramley, and also know Armley very well.
    www . purplecobwebs . co . uk
    Selling handcrafted cards & gifts to help Viva!

MMMmmm..hansas
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

friendly fri

Hansas gets a very mixed review on trip advisor, essentially many folk think the food is terrible.And believe me it can be.
    :D :)

leedsveg

Quote friend View Post
    Hansas gets a very mixed review on trip advisor, essentially many folk think the food is terrible.And believe me it can be.
    I know what you mean. You'd think that Leeds being full of students/trendies would have a cornucopia of veggie/vegan eating places, but alas, not.

Leedsveg

friendly fri

Agreed leeds. Sheffield and Leeds are both abysmal when it comes to vegan food.Can you recall Dubterranean, on Woodhouse moor, mid 1990s?
    All hippy chic, yet certain freeloading poet types..no names necessary..were tipping up there often, demanding free food..within a year it was gone..its now an Indian restaurant, or it was anyhow.
    Recall the sandwich shop on kirkgate, odd name like foranimals or something.
    It would sell vegan cheese n onion baps, run by a mum n daughter duo...it closed after 18 months.

leedsveg

^^^
    I recall Dubterranean and did go to check it out but I never ate there and it closed not long after.

The sandwich shop would be TAFFs (Totally Animal Friendly Food) run by Julie Farrar with her mum and sister giving a hand. On a Saturday morning, it was not unknown for me to have breakfast at home then go down to TAFFs and have a vegan bacon sandwich, followed by...another vegan bacon sandwich. Brilliant place and it really deserved to do well.

Leedsveg

friendly fri

Quote leedsveg View Post
    ^^^
    I recall Dubterranean and did go to check it out but I never ate there and it closed not long after.

The sandwich shop would be TAFFs (Totally Animal Friendly Food) run by Julie Farrar with her mum and sister giving a hand. On a Saturday morning, it was not unknown for me to have breakfast at home then go down to TAFFs and have a vegan bacon sandwich, followed by...another vegan bacon sandwich. Brilliant place and it really deserved to do well.

Leedsveg
    I recall Julie being in tears after an accountant came and tol;d them the cafe was virtually finished.Sad day.

Anyone still here? I just moved back to Leeds after a few years away and I'm totally bored because I don't know anybody in the area anymore, any suggestions where I could meet like minded people around Leeds or find information on local events and such?
    Last edited by Lentils; Apr 24th, 2012 at 10:39 PM.

friendly fri

Quote Lentils View Post
    Anyone still here? I just moved back to Leeds after a few years away and I'm totally bored because I don't know anybody in the area anymore, any suggestions where I could meet like minded people around Leeds or find information on local events and such?
    Leeds vegan n veg society still exist, check em out online.