Thread: Afghanistan

Default Afghanistan

a colleague of mine who has recently become vegan (yippee!) is going to live in Afghanistan. She will mainly be based in Kabul. Does anyone have any tips or ideas of where she could eat or by health foods?

Thanks!

Caroline

Default Re: Afghanistan

I would imagine the Falafel would be good...

That sounds adventurous! A couple of the listings here mention vegetarian food:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...abul-BR-1.html

For what it's worth there used to be an Afghan restaurant near where I live in London, and it was reasonably vegetarian-friendly (I wasn't vegan then).

Does your friend know there's a war going on there?
    Eve

Thanks, thats great help so far!

Yes, my colleague knows there is a war. Its partly why she is going - through a scheme to help the children. She's very brave!!

Yes, that is brave.

You could also try asking here:

http://vegsource.com/travel/asia/

..although I don't see anything about Afghanistan posted so far.

This is my experience from travelling in different countries in asia: the more north you go, and the more mountains, the more meat and dairy .... (and alcohol, if it is allowed: nepalis love to get drunk)
    Take the exampel of India > northern indian food has loads of ghee (butter) and cream, and in the south, masala dosa and idly:common dishes: vegan
    In Malaysia: it is a fruit paradise, in every little corner shop you can buy some freshy cut mango, papaya and other, while waiting for the bus or the train... and they do have a lot of vegan dishes served w rice.
    In the north of india, and in nepal, meat is everywhere: buffalo, mutton... and my experience in travelling tells me that muslims countries are in general very big meat eaters, more than hindus and buddhist.
    I've met some people travelling through mongolia, telling me that they had to start to eat meat during their trip in Mongolia, as there were no other choice> ....(??) the standart meal, which they thought was disgusting, was a bowl of cold, greasy noodles with mutton. everytime they stayed in host family.... even in the few restaurant they could find.