Thread: 760 chickens, 20 pigs, 29 sheep, five cows and half a trawler-net of fish

Default If you want to feed the world....

This is part of an article I found in last week's Observer magazine. Although not directly promoting veganism it does conclude that eating animals is very bad for the environment. It raises some useful facts for igorant omnis. Hope you find interesting.

"A typical European meat eater will devour 760 chickens, 20 pigs, 29 sheep, five cows and half a trawler-net of fish in a lifetime."

"But there's no getting away from the fact that the really ethical approach to meat is to give it up. If you can step aside from the issue of killing animals in the first place, after driving a car, eating meat is alleged to be the most environmentally destructive thing you can do. The intensive farming of the global herd for meat and dairy causes deforestation, desertification and uses up precious land and water resources. It takes 100,000 litres of water to produce 1kg of beef but only 900 litres to produce 1kg of wheat. Thirty-eight per cent of the world's grain is fed to chicken, pigs and cows to produce meat for a minority of people in the developed world. If you want to feed the world, the theory goes, then you'd better turn veggie - irrespective of tasty sausages." lucy.siegle@observer.co.uk

full article:
    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magaz...329151,00.html
    Last edited by celtic rose; Oct 21st, 2004 at 09:12 PM. Reason: link edited

Thanks for the link celtic rose

Lucy Siegle wrote a book i bought called Green Living In The Urban Jungle. it's ok if you don't know much about being 'green', but for me it was a bit too basic
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Default Re: 760 chickens, 20 pigs, 29 sheep, five cows and half a trawler-net of fish

The average American consumes 17 pounds of turkey meat per year. To satisfy this appetite, 252 million turkeys are killed annually. The vast majority of turkey meat found in grocery stores and restaurants comes from turkeys intensively confined on "factory farms." Today's standard practices on the farm, during transport, and at slaughter cause these turkeys to suffer significant pain.

The above is from an article by COK (Compassion Over Killing), you can read the full article here: http://www.cok.net/lit/turkey/main.php
    Eve

Default Re: 760 chickens, 20 pigs, 29 sheep, five cows and half a trawler-net of fish

Talking of chickens, I just love the article that appeared today on ABC-radio online. This is the heading:
    Chicks get around with animal magnetism
    and this is the url http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...8/s1444297.htm
    Eve

Thanks for this, Eve - you do highlight lots of interesting stories that otehrwise I'd miss.

Talking Re: 760 chickens, 20 pigs, 29 sheep, five cows and half a trawler-net of fish

and it makes me happy to think of all the lovely lives i am saving... YaY!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

(I found this at http://www.eatveg.com/)
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Viva puts the average at 11,047 for Britain

1 Rabbit
    1 Goose
    4 Cows
    18 Pigs
    23 Sheep
    28 Ducks
    1,158 Chickens
    2,750 Fish
    3,593 Shellfish

I know the figures don't add up so I think they've not listed some animals or something.

http://www.timetogoveggie.com/ttgv/index.html
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

The Channel 4 show, the human footprint puts it at

4 Cows
    21 Sheep
    15 Pigs
    1,200 Chickens
    13,345 eggs

This is for British people. They didn't mention any other animals.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

i'm glad that by going vegan, i'm making (i think!) a big difference! imagine all the lives of animals that i'll be saving.....!
    so for those who think that one person cant make a difference (so why bother at all - hence the unjustifiable reasoning of my MUM!) - we can EACH make a difference!
    i want to feel empowered but sometimes feel defeated by the majority - it majority being non-vegans